Pre-show Opinions

SCRebel

No way I would allow my child to participate in something like this. This whole premise scares the crap out of me.

What's worse, there are parents who would basically force their child to participate just to receive the 5000.00 stipend. (Crappy parents)

CBS claims a child could go home anytime they wanted to, but if a kid was pressured to go through with it by their parents in order to receive the money, they might be too frightened to leave.

It would be incredibly naive to assume that no parent would pressure their kids.

• 3 weeks later...
It sounds like "Lord of the Flies" meets Survivor...my question is...why so many kids from Georgia?????????

Maybe I missed something, but I only saw three, and my question to you is why not? The people here in Georgia almost are never on a reality show, and trust me there are some interesting, smart, funny, and nice people here... No reason they shouldn't put a few on from Georgia...

I will be watching the show... I think it will be interesting...

ETA: OK I went back and counted again and there are 7 of them from Georgia, but I also am going to go count the other states, because to me it seems there are also a lot from Nevada...

Before I make a judgement about the parents, I wanto to see the kids. I've known plenty of kids that were 8 going on 28. But I've also know a lot more "adults" who were 44 going on 14 (cough..Dick...cough). So I'll have to wait and see.

The parents that are trying to take CBS to court, I question.

I hope one thing that happens with this show is more parents will encourage their children to go into the Boys and Girl Scouts.

I'd say Model UN and Key Club, but I was a HUGE nerd, so I'm not holding my breath.

This'll be interesting...if anything maybe I can convince my 8 year old: "see, if these kids can build a town, you can clean your room!"

But on another note, I think of Kid Nation, and all I can think of is "Children of the Corn". :)

:flags_unitedstates: I posted my full reply in one of the other TV Fan Forums...but the big thing to me is this:

1. The kids are for the most part Child Actor Wannabees from the Child Actor Apartment complexes around LA (don't buy the hype of "THese kids come from all over the US)...This has been reported by other websites...so don't look for the parents to complain, no matter how much CBS abuses these Kids...THEY WANT TO WORK IN THE FUTURE

2. Reality TV is in trouble. The UK has cancelled even some successful game shows and reality shows because of racism, game rigging (simular to whats been happening on BB), bigotry, abuse of women by men, and anti semitism and anti religous themes. Remember, Survivor has already admitted to restaging some of its contests.

3. Union Contracts are up this year...probably going to be a strike...In the case of reality TV, they complain of the way the technical, support, and writers are being paid....This in itself could end a lot of the Reality TV. They also believe that the Kids should have been paid Union Base...Remember, They get $5000 for the ENTIRE SHOW (plus there are a few $20,000 bonuses)...You add it up (12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week, 8-10 weeks)

4. There is no place for a KID NATION 2 to be filmed, except maybe Idaho (better do it fast, because they plan to change there Child Labor Laws in the next session), however, the rumors are that KN2 may be shot in Mexico.

5. Congress IS threatening to get involved....This could change all Reality TV forever.

I have no problem with these shows (I'm a big fan of Big Brother and Survivor), but when it comes to children, we have to set a higher standard...Are we becoming that horrific of a nation that we can take pleasure in the pain and abuse of Children... If this were females, NOW would be in the Streets, but these kids obviously have no one to protect them (Our Government couldn"t)...

Having read through some of the media stories posted in this forum, I have come to the conclusion before having seen the first episode that the kids got it right and the adults who are protesting the show prove the kids' point.

First, the Hollywood unions. They accuse Kid Nation of exploiting the kids, when in fact they are the ones exploiting the media storm for their own purposes as they negotiate television production labor agreements. Second, you have to wonder if the politcians making such a fuss about child labor laws would be so involved if they were not also campagning in an election season. And really, are lawmakers upset about CBS taking advantage of a loophole in the law or are they just upset that they couldn't collect taxes since the kids were not paid wages. And third, reports of accidents by children appear to have been overexaggerated. There were sprained ankels but no broken bones, a girl was splattered with hot grease, and one kid accidentally drank a unmarked can containing bleach. The reality is that kids sprain ankles all the time at summer camp, burn themselves playing with fire, and the other 3 kids who drank the bleach only tasted it in order to figure out what was making the first kid sick. Sounds pretty selfless to me. Fourth, there were complaints that kids missed school. One kid brought his school work with him and others didn't think twice about swapping the experience for summer school. Fifth, the kids were overworked. What a hardship, doing chores and manual labor. Have we become so lazy a society, so far removed from when children woke up at 5am to work the farm with ma and pa?

I am looking forward to this show and hope that adults watching it will take the opportunity to reflect on their own society as the watch these children form a society of their own. I think that these kids, with their innocent belief that anything is possible and their child-like notions of right and wrong before they are jaded by the rites of adolescence and the trials and tribulations of adulthood, will have the potential to shine a light on all of us. And they could start by telling their detractors to go away. They accomplished something special and amazing, and they are not going to let the adults ruin it.

Fuskie

Who is admittedly biased going into next week's premier as one of the kids, Jared, is the son of a friend of his...

Give me a break guys. It's TV. Those kids probably had more fun than a month at Disney. Yeah I am sure there were some boo boos and hard lessons learned. So what? You let your kids play soccer? You let your kids go camping? Hell, you let your kids attend public school? They are probably in more danger in all three of those situations than being filmed for Kid Nation.

Hey, you can raise your kids the way you want to, but just because some parents chose to let their kids do this show,doesn't necessarily make them bad or exploitive parents.

Congress IS threatening to get involved....This could change all Reality TV forever.

The only reason congress is getting involved is because these reality show winners are getting paid big bucks for cheating, truth stretching, lewd behaviors, etc...and they want in on it.