Welcome To Kid Nation

morty

0_61_090707_kidnation.jpg

All through the Big Brother season I've been watching the commercials for Kid Nation.

Forty plucky kids ranging in age from 8 to 15 spend 40 days without parents or Playstations in Bonanza City, M.M., a ghost town where they try to build a community that works, cooking their own meals, hauling their own water, clearning their own outhouses and even running businesses such as the root beer-dispensing saloon. They also elect four peer leaders who will pass laws and set bedtimes. No one is "voted out" at the town meeting that closes each episode, but any kids who have had enough can simply raise their hands and leave. How many will stick it out?

I was a huge fan of the PBS series, "Frontier House." I feel there's so much we can learn by going back in time and seeing how our ancestors lived and worked, and now this group of 40 kids, will not only experience what life was like in the 1890's, they can apply their knowledge and education to 100 year old problems. Keep in mind, that these kids have more formal education than the adults that first tried to live in this town.

I've also considered that the show could just be plain exploitation and prime-time crap-ola, so I started this forum so we can watch it together and decide for ourselves.

-Morty

Thanks Morty! I'm really looking forward to this series. I also was a fan of frontier land (PBS) and I'm hoping that things we learn from these children can inspire us all.

I'm aware of the controversy surrounding the show (before it even airs, I might add) but, for me there is a great oppotunity for these kids and us as a society. I guess time will tell if the producers ended up just being money hungry opportunists.

I would have let my 12 year old participate in a heartbeat. She's getting to the age of eye rolling and complaining when she's expected to do household chores. It would be good for her to learn what it's like to have a "tough" life. She is a hard worker though, once she gets started and she's great socially. The girl can talk to anyone about anything. :D

I would consider letting my 8 year old go but, she maybe a bit young. She's the type of child that usually follows the group to start off with but, before long she's leading them all. I think it's because she's smart, great listener, caring, hard worker, humble and it doesn't hurt that she's cute as a button. There are times when she says something and I think... wow, if only the world could be viewed through your eyes.

Anyways... good luck KID NATION!!!

Two comments Ceci: First, you're just happy I didn't ask you to moderate this forum. Second, you can have your kids participate in "Kid Nation 2" Just click here: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation_ap...id_nation_2.pdf to get the application. Sign away all your rights to CBS, and then call your insurance agent.

I think I'll wait to see if the controversy is valid or not 1st. :lol: But, thanks... we have our insurance co. on speed dial, so that shouldn't be a problem... ha

First, you're just happy I didn't ask you to moderate this forum.
Truer words were never spoken. LOL

I have been looking forward to this series even since my husband mentioned it. I still get a little choked at the commercial of the boy who says that he misses his brother who's in a wheelchair. What always catches my attention in that small segment is that he is comforted by other boys.

It should prove interesting to watch.

Kid nation from everything I've read is going to be nothing more than Child Abuse....

Kids are forced to work 12-14 hours per day....They must do everything (including cook)..

There has already been reports of The Kids drinking bleach, killing Chickens, injuring themselves in other manners...the supervision was lousy or non existant...Kids in the ads have been seen bullying other kids, assaulting other kids...

The Kids get $5000 for competing in the show, plus there are some $20,000 bonuses...

The Unions are getting up in arms because the show abuse their people also and they think the Kids should have been paid Union base. The Union contracts are up this year, so look for the whole reality TV thing to be shot down to some extent...THe UK (England) has already cancelled numerous game and reality shows, even those with high ratings (Like BB UK) because of the blatant racism, bigotry, abuse of women by men, and anti-religous themes...Look for some of the same here...

These kids (it has been reported) mostly are from the Child Actor apartment complexes around LA and are for the most part Child Actor Wannabees...so don't expect the parents (I use the term loosely) to say much negative about the show. Congress is threatening to take Action and all the states in the US have revised their child labor laws to stop this nonsense from happening again (one possible exception however is Idaho, but I read that they are going to consider tighter laws in the next session)...It has been reported that they are looking to do Kid Nation 2 in Mexico...Is that really what you want to see your kids do, has the world come to this, that we get pleasure from Children being harmed....

Look, I see no problem when this is adults (Survivor), but when children are involved, a higher standard must be kept..... :flags_unitedstates:

Morty, one of the kids, Jared, is the son of a friend of mine. He had a blast and jokingly told his parents that he only punched 2 kids. Other than that, his parents say he hasn't told them much but is uber excited for the episodes to begin. I will be hosting Kid Nation chat on Wed nghts so we can discuss the episodes. Unfortunately, I hve a 7pm meeting the night of the series premier.

Oh, and they aren't competing for anything and some people consider working 14 hour days, cooking, taking care of animals, and performing other chores a way of life.

Fuskie

Who would have thought he'd take some time of after Big Brother...

Thanks for sharing Fuskie. I'll keep an extra eye out for Jared. I'm glad to hear that he had a good experience.

I've occasionally thought of selling our place, buying a working ranch and having the family run it together. Then let's see if my kids think it's a tough life because they have to take out the trash, feed the cat, walk the dog, unload dishwasher (you get the picture). I know I'm just so unfair when I keeping them from their computers, iPods, tv and dvd players. :rolleyes: (Of course the reason I don't do this is because I'm too lazy to run a ranch... aka... to expensive to run T1 lines out for our internet. :lol:)

No matter what reality show they make there will always be neysayers and complainers and controversy , i don't even look at that any more.

Fuskie its great you will be doing chat for Kid nation , i am looking forward to this show and being part of the kid nation team . You know to call me if i can do anything to help. If ya need an editor you know where to look , lol.

Happy Viewing all

Wolfie

Thanks for putting the Kid Nation section up. After I watched the premier I thought "I wonder if there is a section up at Mortys for this". Sure enough, here it is.

The unions are getting mad because writers aren't used so it's about money not the kid's welfare.

The mom of the kid burned asked them to look into it. They did, and she didn't sue, so they must have done nothing wrong.

The bleach thing was nobody's fault but the kid's for not labeling it. It could have happened to anybody.

Killing chickens is how a lot of people eat. From what I saw about next week's show, it divides the town, and was their decision, not the producers.

The only legitimate gripe I've seen is about taking them out of school, but they only missed like 20-30 actual school days. It's not like filming it in the summertime in the desert was an option.

The only legitimate gripe I've seen is about taking them out of school, but they only missed like 20-30 actual school days.

It was 40 days, less weekends (10 days), less Spring Break (5 days), so we are really talking about 25 days. Jared went to summer school to make up what he missed, and one other girl took homework assignments to Bonanza with her.

Fuskie

Who thinks the education these kids received through the experience was invaluable...

Fuskie... while watching the show last night I couldn't for the life of me remember what your friends son's name was and I tried and tried to have a name "pop" out at me.

In the long run... I'm glad I didn't remember because without being tainted by knowing you know Jared... Jared is by far my favorite kid. He cracked me up all night; he's all kid, smart as a whip and says it like he sees it. Loooove it! :lol: