Leslie Nease

Dade

I think her "I'm not that religious", gievn her occpation, was just said to diffuse the situation. Later she made the comment about the rain, "He does provide" or something like that. I don't think she wants to get booted for being considered a self-righteous Bible beater.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leslie was talking about "not being religious" in this view. You know how people who go to churches just to be going and be seen doing all the "right" things. Well that's being religious not necessarily being a Christian. The 2 things are different and she doesn't want people to think she was just doing it because of the religion but because she's a Christian and her faith teaches her not to bow before graven images and no matter what they call the ceremony when they asked them to bow to a Bhudda statue for Christians that would be wrong. Notice she wasn't against the others who did it and she still showed kindness to everyone but it just wasn't for her. She also didn't make a scene and act disrespectful as Courtney did.

Something that would be interesting to know. Do you think a devout Muslim would bow to Bhudda? If part of the ceremony was to eat pork and there was an orthodox Jew participating would you feel the same if they refused as some of you on this board have stated?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...;

Thanks and have a great day!

Kat

i guess if i was there, and i felt that it clashed with my beliefs... i would just hang back a little... but still show respect and witness what they were doing. if it was the other way around and they were in my yard, i wouldnt expect them to participate if they didnt want to... but i would like to see them show respect to what we are doing and not walk out.

Most of what I was going to say was already stated. I think when she said she was not religious. She meant it as she doesn't practice any conventional religious ceremony, like say a Catholic would. I don't think it was meant to cover anything up.

Buddhists son't consider Buddha a god, or at least as I have had had it explained to me, but I guess the bowing aspect got to her. It would have been nice if she could have sat in respect but now bow, but I don't hold it against her if it goes so strongly against her teaching as long as she otherwise respects people and other cultures.

I feel that when you go on Survivor you have to be flexible, you can't be narrow minded and then go to a different country and live with different people from all over the US. God knows what our intentions are. If she wasn't worshipping Budda, she should have known that God can see her intentions. To me being a good, kind person and not hurting anyone is much more important than worrying about a ritual.

I wanted to let you all know that I now have contact with Leslie and if you all would like, I could try to get an interview, but you have to remember that they aren't allowed to tell you anything that happened in the game that might be a spoiler...

I actually think she'd make an interesting interview, Yana.

Does anyone think she'll figure out that the immunity idol is right there in front of her nose? I'm wondering if there'll be anyway they'll know for sure that that is the idol. Say someone...oh Todd, perhaps (cuz I love his little conniving way of thinking and I don't think Leslie will figure it out)...sees that chinese emblem and thinks that that's it. Would the production people tell him he's right? Is there something behind it that would tell him? What do ya'll think?

I think it might take another clue or 2 for them to figure out thats the idol kayo. Given its placement, who would think to even reach up and tug on it to se if it comes off? For that matter, whoever figures it out is going to have to be prettysly about getting it down. At this point, it sure looks like she made a major mistake with whom she chose to share the information. Game on though, once he figures out where the idol is, she's toast.

I think there has to be something that lets them know they have the idol, unless they're hoping someone tries to use it only to find out at TC it isn't real.

With all that time spent on Ashley's "illness" I was surprised that in Leslie's 2-seconds of camera time, she had been really sick. but she still did well during the mud pit.

Leslie already

Seriously though...I have no qualms with her sticking to her convictions. I actually pride her on that...but man can't even look at a new idea? I happen to be a pagan myself. I am in the military and am exposed to a MASSIVE amount of christianity. I choose however to respect those who follow christ and thus I just go to a quiet place inside myself...

just my thoughts

-Kyo

For the New Year in Korea, we bow down to every single person older than you in the house (mind you, Asian families are large). In return, they give you money.

The celebration/welcoming they had in the temple was the same thing. It was showing respect, as you do when you in many cultures when you see a leader. You are not saying they are a God.

Again, for someone who I'm guessing knew little about the culture... I'm not blaming at all. Even if someone told you what I just did and have several times in the thread... unless you LIVE in the culture, it can be hard to truly understand. Mostly because the longer you're in the culture, the more you see it's not "worshiping" ...nor are people thinking that when an outsider comes to visit. I only shared what I did so others have a better understanding.

It's been said before that Buddah isn't considered a God, but even then the Bible says Thou shalt not bow to any God BEFORE me... I take that to mean that if you replace God with another then it's a sin... Not if you are visiting another contury, you shouldn't embrace the culture there... JMHO...

or BEFORE means "in his presence." And Christians believe that God is all-seeing all-knowing.

I stick by with what I said. I understand bowing is a sign of respect to other people, but I would do the same thing if I was put in that situation even if someone told me it wasn't worshiping. It wouldn't have felt right. I don't fully know the culture nor am I going to attack it, but I am sticking by with what I said

JMHO... The whole welcoming ceremony situation was disrespectful and just showed her complete ignorance. Just wondering how she might have reacted if the tables were turned.

ANYWAY... the other thing that I think points to the fact that good ol' Leslie is not so savvy is the fact that she ran and blabbed that immunity info straightaway to Weasel... er... Todd. Not so smart.

I see BOOT in her future... or if not... bleh.

or BEFORE means "in his presence." And Christians believe that God is all-seeing all-knowing.

Right on Cajun... I can't answer to God for you and you can't answer for me, so I completely respect your opinion... :)

if Leslie had such a problem with the welcoming ceremony, I have to wonder if she has a Christmas tree or hides Easter eggs. I also wonder if she celebrates Christmas on December 25th. Those activities were "adopted" by ruling parties to help with the conversion process.

As far as Christians believing God is all knowing, those Christians that don't read the first half of the Bible, maybe. Leslie strikes me as a "pot-luck" Christian. Taking bits and pieces of her religion when it suits her and forgetting about it later.

She is stupid to take her IO information to Todd. I thought she wanted an alliance with James. James has a bond with Aaron (or at least a mutual strength), why not tell James and brong in Aaron. Because Todd is smart?? Hello, McFly, why give him an even bigger advantage?? Idiot.

if Leslie had such a problem with the welcoming ceremony, I have to wonder if she has a Christmas tree or hides Easter eggs. I also wonder if she celebrates Christmas on December 25th. Those activities were "adopted" by ruling parties to help with the conversion process.

As far as Christians believing God is all knowing, those Christians that don't read the first half of the Bible, maybe. Leslie strikes me as a "pot-luck" Christian. Taking bits and pieces of her religion when it suits her and forgetting about it later.

How can you assume or make a judgement call on her just based on the fact that she walked out of the temple? And I'm not sure what her having a "Christmas tree or hiding Easter eggs" would have to do with any of it...call her what you want -"potluck" Christian or whatever...although I'm not sure why you even mention it. Personally, her faith is HER faith and I understand where she's coming from and respect her for it.

She as stupid to take her IO information to Todd. I thought she wanted an alliance with James. James has a bond with Aaron (or at least a mutual strength), why not tell James and brong in Aaron. Because Todd is smart?? Hello, McFly, why give him an even bigger advantage?? Idiot.

I agree with you on this...pretty much not the smartest decision to make- in fact, it most likely will be her downfall.

How can you assume or make a judgement call on her just based on the fact that she walked out of the temple? And I'm not sure what her having a "Christmas tree or hiding Easter eggs" would have to do with any of it...call her what you want -"potluck" Christian or whatever...although I'm not sure why you even mention it. Personally, her faith is HER faith and I understand where she's coming from and respect her for it.

I was commenting on her having a problem with a non-Christian ceremony, so much of a problem that she walked out. I'm curious if she participates in other non-Christian ceremonies. Why did I mention it? Because it was mentioned on the show I was watching. This is Survivor China, right? She was upset because she couldn't bring/ read her Bible, or was that on another show? Through the crafty editting, Leslie is being portrayed as "one of those" type Christians and her faith is defining her character on the show. IN MY OPINION, she strikes me as a "pot-luck" Christian. You can ASSUME that is bad or good.

Ok, I think I see where you are coming from, even if I disagree with the "potluck" Christian reference.

I was commenting on her having a problem with a non-Christian ceremony, so much of a problem that she walked out. I'm curious if she participates in other non-Christian ceremonies.

I think her walking out had much more to do with not wanting to disobey a direct commandment from her God- "you shall not bow down to any graven image...", rather than the general scope of a "non-Christian ceremony". Whether the Chinese viewed it as something to worship or not made no difference, whether it was a "non-Christian ceremony" made no difference-She viewed it as an idol and could not in good conscience bow to it. Simple as that. You may view Christmas and Easter as "non-Christian ceremonies", but that doesn't mean that a Christian can't remember, honor or celebrate the core of their faith on those days. All I'm saying is just because you label it as non-Christian does not make it non-Christian to others.

Hey, it's all good...I respect your opinion, Francis.

Archived