"Spring Break Shark Attack" - Airs March, 20

Jem

Sharks Chow Down on 'Spring Break'

16_5_7.gif

By Jay Bobbin

spring-break-shark-attack-20050309055616

An old adage suggests actors should never work with kids or pets, but how about sharks?

Films such as "Jaws," "Deep Blue Sea" and "Open Water" have challenged human stars to keep their presences known alongside the oceans' most notorious predators. Now a new CBS movie does likewise.

Boasting not the most subtle title, "Spring Break Shark Attack" airs Sunday, March 20, and sends several college friends toward anticipated fun and sun on Florida beaches. Uh-huh ... cue the sharks.

Shannon Lucio, alias Lindsay on the FOX series "The O.C.," plays unsuspecting target Danielle. Immediately upon arrival, she falls for local hunk Shane (Riley Smith), whose mother ("Picket Fences" Emmy winner Kathy Baker) runs a charter-boat service that's being used by the story's villain (Bryan Brown, "The Thorn Birds") to draw tiger sharks to the area. Only Shane can stop the resulting crisis, if he can avoid becoming a meal in the process.

With screen credits from "Edward Scissorhands" to "Cold Mountain," actress Baker signed up for "Spring Break Shark Attack" fully aware it wasn't likely to put her even close to another award win. Why do it, then?

"Bryan Brown -- hello," she says. "Most of my scenes are with him, and when they said he'd been cast, I knew there would be the element of the handsome guy who's throwing money at this woman and doing bad things with her boats. We had a lot of fun."

Other cast members intrigued Baker, too. "To be at the age I am, with the experience I have," she says, "to work with these young people who are just coming up, you can see how talented and energetic they are, yet they look to you and ask you questions. They so want to make the material real and for it to work well. Then you get in there and make the scenes about human beings relating to one another. That's the challenge."

South Africa doubles for Florida in "Shark Attack," and as with many others involved in the project, this was Baker's first trip there. "It's so beautiful, and the history there is so amazing, there isn't even a word for what the people have been through and what they're trying to accomplish," she says. "It's an extremely sophisticated place, yet still working to develop in many ways. We were all just blown away by it. I keep telling people if it wasn't such a long trip, it should be their next vacation spot."

The filming schedule of "Spring Break Shark Attack" worked well for Lucio, since "The O.C." had sent Lindsay away to see relatives she absolutely knew were blood ties, unlike certain Orange County acquaintances.

Even though some of Lucio's latest co-stars were mechanical, the "sharks" still seemed real enough to her. "Let me tell you, those things were so scary," she says. "We were in open water, so my mind was reeling with possibilities anyway, and I was just petrified.

"I knew the sharks were fake," Lucio hastens to add, "but just seeing them swim around was amazing. I kept thinking they were going to lure their 'friends' over and all of a sudden, I would be surrounded by real sharks. I'd never had a problem with going in the ocean, but this experience has scarred me for life. Although I understand that sharks rarely attack people, I will certainly have second thoughts about getting in the water from now on."

Guest XandraSkye
Anyone watch this? I recorded it. I love Shark movies. I watched "Deep Blue Sea" for about the 10th time this morning.

It was ridiculous, amateurishly written and ineptly played....The characters were poorly developed and lacked depth and the movie was shot in South Africa (I caught glimpses of Capetown's mountain range) instead of South Florida...LOL

Guest XandraSkye
It was ridiculous, amateurishly written and ineptly played....The characters were poorly developed and lacked depth and the movie was shot in South Africa (I caught glimpses of Capetown's mountain range) instead of South Florida...LOL

Sounds like my kind of movie! :wink: