Episode 4.02: Confirmed Dead ("Not Penny's Boat" People-centric)

Dade

Courtesy of: SPOILEFIX

Episode 4.02: Title Unknown

Airdate: February 2008

• 08/05 - The role of Charlotte could become a regular. Source: SpoilerFix.com
  • 08/01 - Also recurring is Charlotte, a hot twentysomething who is said to be "precocious, loquacious and funny... a very successful academic who also knows how to handle herself in the real world." Interestingly, she, too, has a tough time relating to people. Beneath the surface, there's "lots of repressed and pent-up emotions." [Charlotte debuts in Episode 2.] Source: The Ausiello Report
  • 08/01 - [A new character], possibly extending the rest of the season, and perhaps next season, [is] Charlotte, an attractive, athletic academic. Name may change of course. Source: secretagentman @ TWoP

An interesting tidbit...Charlotte was the name of Claire's psychic's daughter- the one that supposedly drowned but came back to life. Could this be the same Charlotte? There is a big age difference, but if they do flash forwards.... :animated_scratchchin:

Guys, i am Seriously about to sploodge my pants!!!! Holy Heck!!

http://www.tvguide.com/Ask-Ausiello/070815

From The Ausiello report on TVguide.com

070808askausiello.jpg

Question: Have you spoken to Darlton about having Kristen Bell on Lost? If you pull this off, I swear (and you have this in writing, with AA witnesses) that I will send you one case of Diet Raspberry Snapple for every episode of Lost that Kristen appears on. Hope you're up for the challenge!

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of; SPOILERFIX

Episode 4.02: Title Unknown

Airdate: February 2008

• 09/12 - Lost was filming along a small streambed at Judd Trail, up Old Nuuanu Pali Road. A perfectly Lost-y jungle location. All the action was out of sight, but it was good to see some familiar faces on the crew. I can only tell you that there was a major confrontation (I could hear yelling echo through the forest), and can rattle of the list of actors I spotted. But I think you'll agree, this simple list alone is enough to get one's heart aflutter. This was a major shoot! Jorge Garcia (who was kind enough to stop and chat), Terry O'Quinn, Mira Furlan (in a nice checkerboard flannel-type shirt), Josh Holloway (who I believe was the aggressor), Michael Emerson (who appeared to have been on the losing end of a fight), Blake Bashoff and Emilie DeRavin. Of course there was at least one baby being carried around. Names overheard but not seen include Evangeline Lilly, "Carla," "Alex," "Karl," and "Fuzzy" (likely stunt pro Robert Moody). During my brief chat with Jorge, he again expressed a great deal of excitement and anticipation for the first few scripts of Season 4, comparing it to Season 1 in richness and mind-blowing moments. He also recalled meeting friends of mine yesterday at the "Santa Rosa" location, summarizing the shoot with a long, delicious, "Whew!" I think it's safe to say fans are no less excited about the return of Lost. My friend Darcy also visited the location later in the day and saw Matthew Fox in a scene with Evangeline and Jeremy Davies. Davies, playing a character named Daniel, was wearing a vest with a blinking light and made a call to someone named George, presumably or supposedly on Naomi's ship. Source: The Transmission
  • 09/12 - Jack, Kate and Daniel are hiking uphill through the jungle. When they reach the top of a rise, Jack and Kate sit down to rest while Daniel, who's wearing a black vest with a flashing red light (probably identical to the one Naomi has on when she parachutes down to the island) pulls out some sort of communication device (again, possibly the same as Naomi's "phone") and says something like: "George, it's Daniel. Yeah, my instrumentation went crazy. Seemed like some kind of electrical storm. I'm here with some of the survivors." The rest of the dialog was inaudible, but Daniel and Jack seemed to be saying a lot to each other. The take was rather long, perhaps a full two minutes. Source: Lost Spoilers

• 3 months later...

Entertainment Weekly photo from "Confirmed Dead" episode...

sawyerew37921xt2hr0.jpg

If image does not load, try this link.

• 3 weeks later...

sneak preview 1

sneak peek 2

I couldnt' find the last two sneak peeks on youtube but they are available at Eonline. The first one with Locke's group is a DOOZY!

2 additional sneak peeks at EOnline

This show absolutely ROCKS!!!

Wow. That is all I can think of at the moment to describe my thoughts on last night's episode. Wow. I do believe the writers have succeeded in blowing my mind to smithereens. This episode ranks right up there in the weirdness department..well almost...with Desmond's "Flashes Before Your Eyes" episode from last season.

Ok, let's review what we learned from "Confirmed Dead":

The title refers to the people on Oceanic Flight 815, as the show opened with 2 sea rovers finding the remains of the plane at the bottom of the ocean, which then cut to news broadcasts saying that all passengers were confirmed dead. One of new characters, Daniel, is then shown in a flashback watching the newscast and crying. Why is he so broken up about it?... and who is the mysterious woman whose head we aren't shown who comes in the room? She HAS to be important later on.

Thanks to Ben, we now know the full names of the Freighter Four and thanks to Naomi we know what she "affectionately" refers to them as:

Charlotte Staples Lewis..."the anthropologist"

Miles Straum..."the ghostbuster"

Daniel Faraday..."the head case" physicist

Frank Lapidus..."the drunk" pilot

Let's review:

Miles Straum- WHAT THE?!! okkaaayyy, we now may be getting nearer to some supernatural explanations for several the Island's secrets. Hopefully the Miles character will be able to enlighten us in episodes to come. I'm still not sure if I'm liking where they may be going with this, but I'm willing to sit tight.

Daniel Faraday- He's my own personal favorite of the new characters introduced so far. Isn't Jeremy Davies an AWESOME actor? I love the fact that he's a little off-center and, dare I say it, loveable. Is it because he's a brilliant physicist lacking in social skills? And again, WHY WAS HE CRYING? :animated_scratchchin: He also mentioned something interesting when he was on the island that made Kate (and us) think he was a little wacko- something about it being funny "how the light scatters" on the island. Personally, I don't think he's all that crazy and that that little piece of info will be important later on as well.

Charlotte Staples Lewis- why did Ben accentuate the "Staples" part of her name? Important? I just don't know any more with this show! Anyway, her flashback delivers another huge revelation- there were polar bears in Tunisia (located in the arid northeastern region of Africa)...and these polar bears wore collars...with the Dharma Hydra station symbol on them. Floomp Poof!!! (note:that is the sound of my brain suddenly losing massive amounts of brain cells) Back on the island, I'm sure Charlotte was thanking her lucky stars that she remembered to wear her bullet-proof vest. ;) The jury is still out in my book as to whether Ben is the ultimate baddy that the writers seem to be making him out to be. So far their case seems to be a strong one, but I'm not totally buying it...yet.

Frank Lapidus- This Jacob look-alike held yet another surprising bit of info...the televised body of the pilot was NOT the pilot who flew flight 815. And he knew this how? Why, because there was no ring on the corpses' finger! (slaps head) AND not only that, but Frank was supposed to have been the pilot of Flight 815. So the big question is- why did he not fly Oceanic flight 815 that day and who made the switch in pilots? Was he drunk so his pilot friend took his place for him? Did someone else have a hand in switching the pilots? This part seems very significant to me and I'm sure we'll learn more about this at a later date. I do find it very odd that although the mysteriously creepy black guy (don't know his name yet) assured Naomi that there were "no survivors of flight 815", Frank had still studied the flight manifest so much so that he knew Juliette wasn't one of the passengers :animated_scratchchin: .

Mysteriously Creepy Black Guy- He seriously freaks me out. What we do know about him is that he arranged a covert operation headed up by Naomi to land on the island and get or kill Ben. We also know that each member of the Freighter Four was selected for a "specific purpose". :animated_scratchchin: I'm trying to remember what he asked Hurley when he visited him at the mental institution in episode one. He said he was an Oceanic Airlines Representative (liar!) and he asked Hurley something like "are their any more on the island alive" or something like that (I'll have to watch that part of the first episode again). This is especially interesting because that was in a flash forward- so what we saw happen last night would have already happened when he said what he did to Hurley. Was he referring to the covert ops team, Ben or the rest of flight 815?

Minkowski (the man talking to Daniel who asked him if he was on speaker phone)- could this be Ben's "man on the boat"?

It's tough to pick a winner for the "Oh yeah, RIGHT" award of the night, but if I had to choose it would be Locke's "the bullet passed through my body and I lived because I don't have a kidney" revelation. Are they kidding me? Don't get me wrong- I absolutely LOVE this show but even I had a hard time swallowing that one. I liked the "island healed him" scenario better. Maybe it's supposed to be a little bit of both...I'd love to hear a doctor's perspective on his being able to survive something like that or not. I mean, even without the kidney, he still has open wounds on both sides! And the wound did seem a little high for it to pass through the non-kidney zone. Maybe that's were Jacob/the island comes in handy?

I loved the fact that Sawyer was back to his big, bad and hilarious self!

Finally- what WAS that look both Locke and Ben gave Hurley when he mentioned the cabin being the other way?! All I have to say is- watch your back, Hurley!

All in all, another excellent mind-blowing episode...even if there wasn't any Desmond in it!

I have just a couple of Observations.

First about Frank...When we first see him, he is playing with a toy plane and watching it sink in a fish tank. If you notice the plane land upside down not face up. I think that was Frank's first inclination the plane wasn't really 815. His confirmation was the pilot not wearing a wedding ring. Since he was supposed to be the pilot, it would make sense that he would know everything about that flight. I am sure there is a whole lot of guilt going on.

Miles...What was up with him taking the drug money but leaving the drugs?

Sawyer...MMMMMMM what else can I say. Also I loved when Sawyer was going to kill Ben and Locke asked him if he was going to do it in front of his daughter. The look on his face said it all.

I find myself unable to choose sides yet. At this point I think both groups are right. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Lost

by Trish Wethman

Episode Recap: Confirmed Dead

If last week

Things are moving pretty slowly over episodes 1-2, considering that there only 6 left. Makes me wonder if by 8th and final episode (for who knows how long), we'll see a handful people leaving the island (but of course, not really leaving for good).

Your assumptions may be correct, echo. We'll have to wait and see!

Regarding Charlotte's full name...I don't know why I didn't catch it before! The writers gave her the name Charlotte Staples Lewis after Clive Staples Lewis- that is, C.S. Lewis, writer of the Narnia series of books beginning with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. He also attended Oxford University (and taught there as well) just like Charlotte, and his two favorite books as a child were Treasure Island and The Secret Garden. Love the connection!

That was a great connection to C.S. Lewis!!!! I loved this episode I thought it did an excellent job of introducing us to four new characters without raising two many questions and answering several questions!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name