Big Brother Producers Ground A Pilot Planning On Revealing Eric As America's Player

tvjunki27

The producers of the CBS reality show "Big Brother" have grounded a pilot they say planned on ruining the show.

Lawyers for Endemol USA Inc. sent a cease and desist letter to Jerry Hider of Blue Yonder Air, to stop him from flying his plane over the "Big Brother" house. According to Endemol, Hider was planning a flyover carrying a message that told the other players in the house that Eric is "America's Player" -- essentially ruining part of the game.

Endemol alleges that by doing this, Hider's proposed actions would violate a "tort of intentional interference of an advantageous business relationship" -- or, in layman's terms, "Dude, don't ruin the game!"

Hider alleges that he's not trying to ruin the game, and that he was simply paid to do a job. The peeved pilot wouldn't release the name of the person who has been hiring him to make "Big Brother"-related runs, but said that up until now he, CBS and Endemol enjoyed "a symbiotic relationship." In 2001, Endemol even produced a story about the banner operation.

In a statement to TMZ, CBS says: "It's always great to have fans that are this engaged and passionate about 'Big Brother.' However, we also need to protect the integrity of the competition, which does not allow any outside influence on the houseguests who are sequestered from the public broadcast and therefore unaware of some of the secret twists in the show."

Is Hider going to try to fight Endemol and CBS? Not likely. He told us "If I had a bunch of attorneys I would fight this, but it's not worth my time."

As long as you make sure you credit the site it's ok to post it here... :)

"It's always great to have fans that are this engaged and passionate about 'Big Brother.' However, we also need to protect the integrity of the competition, which does not allow any outside influence on the houseguests who are sequestered from the public broadcast and therefore unaware of some of the secret twists in the show."

I really think this is the funniest part of the whole article... I mean they are trying to protect a game from outside influence, but yet WE are influencing the game...

Hi Yana,

Did you ever find the source for the article on Jen being a chilltown plant? That was a really interesting article -- and I lost track of that thread and therefore never followed up on where that article came from (honestly, I thought you had done the interview with Mike Boogie yourself!) :)

AP is getting lamer and lamer.......Come on CBS....let the flyer fly his plane!!!!!!

Eric has done a terrible job......It just might make BB interesting again......

Sorry Eric Lovers....... :grouphug:

the only thing is if he wanted to fight it he'd win out, because "currently" although it owns the property below, it does not own the airspspace above or around its' studio set so there is no legal reason that he or anyone else can fly aplane with a message anywhere they want as long as they are not in resticted airspace, which they are not. Furthermore there is no legal agreement that he is interuppting with CBS cause he is not a part of the game, therefore has signed not contract refraining him from doing anything to jepordize the outcome of the game. granted it's just a reality TV show so it is not worth the legal costs to fight their arses, but CBS does have no legal validity to their argument, just enough money to make it worthless for him to do anytthing about corporate america thumbing it's nose at free speech.

I agree KJ ....and didn't CBS last night show that airplane flying over them?????

I think the only reason they showed the plane last night was because how else would they explain the sudden change in alliances? The last most people saw on the edited show was the Eric was not suspected of any wrong doing until the plane flew over. I know that alliances change within a second in the big brother house but the anger that went along with it needed to be explained to those that only watch the show.

the only thing is if he wanted to fight it he'd win out, because "currently" although it owns the property below, it does not own the airspspace above or around its' studio set so there is no legal reason that he or anyone else can fly aplane with a message anywhere they want as long as they are not in resticted airspace, which they are not. Furthermore there is no legal agreement that he is interuppting with CBS cause he is not a part of the game, therefore has signed not contract refraining him from doing anything to jepordize the outcome of the game. granted it's just a reality TV show so it is not worth the legal costs to fight their arses, but CBS does have no legal validity to their argument, just enough money to make it worthless for him to do anytthing about corporate america thumbing it's nose at free speech.

I'm not so sure you are correct. You cannot impair someone's ability to conduct their business. The old "can't yell 'fire' in a theater" applies, or even being able to have vagrants removed from the sidewalk of your store, even though you don't own the sidewalk. I think CBS is legally in the right. BUT in order not to come out looking like a corporate bad guy, they could have made a deal with all small aircraft pilots in the area and made a deal to pay them NOT to fly banners over the Big Brother house. This probably would have been a better approach.

Yes tvjunki I'm just saying that CBS shows the plane on the show then gets mad

when the pilot tries to do it again....and they have shown the plane on past shows too.

I would love it to fly and then see the s**t fly,lol Eric my man, you a dead playa.

i'm all for banners flying over the BB house but i don't think they should out a major twist in the game like AP plus if the banner did fly the HG's might take it wrong and think the eric is americas player meaning that we like eric the most er something... and then not get rid of him

i want more banners calling him and amber liers LOL

So, if his flying a banner over the house interfers with CBS's right to conduct business, isn't CBS interfering with the pilot's right to accept and carry out his business?

But then, CBS has many lawyers whereas this guy has none. Guess his rights are just forfit.

I feel BB's money would be better spent, if instead of paying lawyers to stop the pilot from flying banners, they offer the pilot a fee to fly LOTS of banners over the BB house! BB can make up all sorts of messages, let the HGs read them, and then the HGs won't know what to believe is real or fake. Pilot gets his money and BB keeps the integrity of their game :)

Archived