Bb And The Bible

lightplum

Not allowing a bible would not violate anyones freedom of religion. They can continue to be whatever religion they are while they are in the house. As it is, the HG's accept and sign agreement to the violation to their right to privacy. They accept the confiscation of their personal belongings (clothes and stuff BB doesn't want in the house) and aren't even allowed to sing. (Not even religious songs :lipsrsealed2:)

Reality TV makes their own laws and the particapents accept those laws.

It comes down to a book is a book. If books are not allowed then the bible should be left at home

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now we know why there are so many problems in Iraq. God spends all his time watching over all the Big Brother houses. There must be something to it, you always hear the winning teams in sports thank God, so I'm assuming the teams that lost were atheists or sinners. Now I will be asking my minister tomorrow just what was God trying to teach us when Mike Boogie won the $500,000 last year.

I've always defended the HGs with the Bibles, saying that when your Christian you don't leave your faith at the door. But I never thought I'd hear some of the crazy things that have been said over the years.

-M

Straycat you are wrong it could be a violaton of the 1st Amendment .The Bible is not just a book. But think about it since prisoners can have Bibles . Can you image the boycotts and outrage that CBS will not allow game show contestants quiet time with their Bible . I can hear it now CBS is like China !Never happen .

Prisons allow most types of books, magazines, TV, radio, etc. It isn't the same.

Not allowing the bible in the house is still not denying them their religion. They can pray in the house. They can talk to each other about their religion. They can tell each other that the evil sinners will be brought down.

There would be no reason for boycotts or lawsuits. The HG's would make the choice. If you want to be on the show, you can't bring ANY books with you. Do you accept this restriction?

I ask myself all the time...

"What would Harry Potter do?" Or "What would Paul Atreides do?" instead of "What would the JC do?"

More and more I find myself asking "What would Fizzle do?"

Then I realize the answer is probably have a scratch and a snack, and that solves everything.

P.S.

Santa is real.

Just like the Koran is not a book right .We have to give one to the detainees at Gitmo. CBS with Summer Redstone and Les Mooves will not risk the bad publicity with legal backlash and it would happen if they tried it . Get back to me when it occurs because it will not happen NEVER !

I agree with almost everyone on this topic. Yes, the bible is a book and books are not allowed. But the bible is part of religion. It was said that there would be boycotts and outrage if CBS would not allow contestants quiet time with their bible. I have never seen the bible on Survivor or the Bachelor. Also, if it they do have to allow them to bring a bible if they want then they could always put in a small chapel where the guests could go, one at a time, and worship how they want. jmo

Then I realize the answer is probably have a scratch and a snack, and that solves everything

Good thinking, Chichi!

So, I guess I'll go out with a fizzlelike response...

The only answer to it all is :food-smiley-005:

oh please, STOP with the violations of amendments argument. if the bible was banned by CBS, no violations would occur.

let us say that I am practicing some minority religion where I worship Harry Potter and think that Harry Potter is God.

Would I be allowed to bring my Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone novel because a restriction on bringing it would be infringing upon my religious views?

No.

Let's say I am on slop and I state that the enforcement of slop is violating the 8th amendment;

is it cruel and unusual punishment because it is physically causing me to suffer?

No.

The point is, the houseguests signed a contract, and agreed to the terms of the show. If CBS wanted to ban the Bible, they could.

I haven't had time to read all of the posts on this thread yet, so sorry if somebody has already addressed this issue. One thing came to mind when I read the update page.

It is almost offensive to me that Jameka has determined who is "good" and "evil" in the house. It's even more disturbing that she thinks that God believes that too.

WHO is Jameka to think that she has the authority to judge other people and say who is "good" and who is "evil". She is not the judge and jury. I almost feel like saying "who does she think she is?" I'm just getting more and more ticked as I sit here thinking about it. Non of use have the right to judge others (though many do).

Wait- doesn't God forgive even if we've done bad stuff? Last time I checked, that was my understanding.

And, on top of it all, I'm sure that Jameka has not lead a perfect life. I'm also guessing that she's done some "wrongs" in the past.

IMHO I think that everybody should remember that "you are only one step away from somebody else's shoes." Jameka, in particular, needs to pray and meditate over that issue.

The whole point of not allowing book in the BB house is that as dull as things are, no one would watch a house of people sitting around reading. They want people deprived of comfort items so that they're forced to interact. As far as your "legal" argument, you're mistaken, they can ban the Bible or anything else they see fit, the minute you enter the BB house you give up your constitutional right to free association.

I see two reasons for allowing the Bible in the BB house: It makes the network look less sleazy, and it stirs things up. It sure has stirred things up here.

Another consideration in the Harry Potter argument is that HP is copyrighted. In season 5 Cowboy brought in a Cowboy Bible that included copyrighted text along with the scriptures. If I remember it right, after letting him bring the book in, they took it away from him and replaced it with an indexed Bible that he also liked.

I am on the fence about the bible thing, but not on the fence when it comes to how I feel about people like Jameka, Kail and Amber misusing religion to make themselves feel better about things they are doing, and willing to do to win some money.

Kail used to be the most irritating, but after listening to jameka go on an on today I have put her way ahead of Kail. Neither have any of my respect anymore.

but if the rules say No Books, then the rule should apply to all books. jmo.

Yup, if some can bring a bible, others should be able to bring a book of thier choosing...

I don't think they should be allowed any books at all.... No reading allowed... They are there for our entertainment.... They can read at home...

very good thread EGYPT.flag.GIFEGYPT.flag.GIFEGYPT.flag.GIF

I bet you if one of the contestants made a big deal about it and complained they would not go on the show because BB is violating their rights CBS would face scrutiny .Some lawyer would want the publicity . I think they do not want to risk it and they have wise legal council that have advised them so they will never have to encounter this public relations problem. I mean would CBS want to be known as anti God no way and Bill O'Reilly or Rush would keep it going and make CBS look worse . It has all been thought out . They could technically ban the Bible but would not want the backlash of people saying it is a 1st amendement right . I should have clarified that more.

This has been an interesting and thought-provoking

thread. We've been mainly discussing whether or not bibles should be permitted in the house. I'd like to look at the whole issue from a slightly different perspective. Should we maybe consider a hg's

motivation for bringing in a bible in the first place?

Let's just say - and this is just hypothetical - but let's say the following was Jameka's thought process:

If I bring a bible, read it a lot, pray, and talk about God, I'll be viewed by the others as a very good person and qualified to sit in judgment (this person is good, that person is evil). Hg's will respect me, like me, and maybe find it hard to put me on the block.

They will probably trust me, confide in me, and eventually put me in position to take contol of the house.

Again, this is all hypothetical. Maybe Jameka's motives are as pure as the driven snow. Maybe she's the kind of person who wears her faith on her sleeve, sincerely loves talking about God at every opportunity to anyone who will listen - and the bible has nothing to do with her gameplay and strategy.

I'm simply throwing these thoughts out for your consideration.

I bet you if one of the contestants made a big deal about it and complained they would not go on the show because BB is violating their rights CBS would face scrutiny .Some lawyer would want the publicity . I think they do not want to risk it and they have wise legal council that have advised them so they will never have to encounter this public relations problem. I mean would CBS want to be known as anti God no way and Bill O'Reilly or Rush would keep it going and make CBS look worse . It has all been thought out . They could technically ban the Bible but would not want the backlash of people saying it is a 1st amendement right . I should have clarified that more.

bullcrap. having the bible is a luxury cbs didnt have to allow it. i bet if the church sued bb for royalties the bible would be ftoh instantly lol EGYPT.flag.GIFEGYPT.flag.GIFEGYPT.flag.GIF

lol EGYPT.flag.GIFEGYPT.flag.GIFEGYPT.flag.GIF

Then I realize the answer is probably have a scratch and a snack, and that solves everything.

P.S.

Santa is real.

well, this topic became sticky overnight i see! what would Fizzle do?.... Fizzle has this to say...

I think they allow the bible because its not a book that all houseguest will be reading. lets be real. even under the most boring conditions, some people are just NOT going to read the bible. and those that do read it, are... well... going a little nuts in the bb house. jameka, amber, kail... (go back in BB history and find more nuts)

and if they were not nuts prior to reading it.. they will be as soon as they open it. they start comparing lines in the bible to houseguest.. think... THINKING that GOD wrote that line just for that houseguest! :blink:

before you know it, God is gangsta and Amber is baptized. AMEN!

so, where was i? oh yea... they allow the Bible cause they know only the thumpers will read it and everyone else will end up qawking.. and the viewers at home will either run to church or complain that the bible shouldnt be in the house because it has caused more evil then good.

:::::::::::scratch::::::::::::::

This has been an interesting and thought-provoking

thread. We've been mainly discussing whether or not bibles should be permitted in the house. I'd like to look at the whole issue from a slightly different perspective. Should we maybe consider a hg's

motivation for bringing in a bible in the first place?

Let's just say - and this is just hypothetical - but let's say the following was Jameka's thought process:

If I bring a bible, read it a lot, pray, and talk about God, I'll be viewed by the others as a very good person and qualified to sit in judgment (this person is good, that person is evil). Hg's will respect me, like me, and maybe find it hard to put me on the block.

They will probably trust me, confide in me, and eventually put me in position to take contol of the house.

Again, this is all hypothetical. Maybe Jameka's motives are as pure as the driven snow. Maybe she's the kind of person who wears her faith on her sleeve, sincerely loves talking about God at every opportunity to anyone who will listen - and the bible has nothing to do with her gameplay and strategy.

I'm simply throwing these thoughts out for your consideration.

That's a great concept, but IMHO she's a religious fanatic...has to be-who embarrasses themselves like that in front of the public just to create a certain personna?

Archived