Emilie De Ravin as Claire

Jem

Emilie De Ravin as Claire

lost2.jpg

Emilie (pronounced Emily) de Ravin first garnered the attention of international audiences with her performance on the popular television series Beastmaster: The Legend Continues. Within one month of moving to Los Angeles from her home in South Melbourne, Australia, she landed the series regular role of Tess Harding on Roswell. Soon after, she starred in the television remake of Stephen King's classic horror film, Carrie.

Emilie recently finished shooting the lead role in the feature film Santa's Slay. In addition she recently completed work on the film Brick. She also recurred on the series The Handler.

Emilie's rising stardom is based upon many years of performance experience and intensive training. She has studied ballet since the age of nine. At the age of 15 she was accepted into the prestigious and highly selective Australian Ballet School. She performed in productions of the Australian Ballet Company, as well as Danceworld 301.

• 1 month later...

Emilie de Ravin Has a 'Lost' Baby

By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - After what may have been the longest on-screen final trimester in the history of television -- with almost six months of episodes covering only about a month-and-a-half in the plot -- plane-crash survivor Claire (Emilie de Ravin) on ABC's megahit "Lost" finally gave birth on Wednesday, April 6. The episode, called "Do No Harm," also saw the tragic death of fellow island castaway Boone (Ian Somerhalder).

Some online theorists -- and they are Legion on "Lost" -- wonder if Boone's soul had passed into Claire's male child at the moment of his birth. This comes as news to de Ravin. "On, no, really?" de Ravin says. "Then Boone didn't really die ... that's an interesting one. I should have thought of that, shouldn't I? I haven't heard any theories, but I'm sure there are quite a lot more."

Never having been a mother herself, de Ravin consulted her sisters, who have children, about the experience of giving birth. The advice wound up being only of limited use. "I was talking to people," she says, "and they were saying, 'I don't know how I'd recreate that unless it was actually happening,' because it just takes over your body. That's something that's so hard to recreate, something that's so primal and so animal and so personal to each woman."

With the possible exception of the lovely ladies of Wisteria Lane on ABC's "Desperate Housewives," few fictional characters have been the subject of more conversation, calculation and speculation this past season than the hapless souls aboard the unfortunate Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 on "Lost."

Since de Ravin was also on the cult favorite "Roswell," she's quite familiar with having devoted and passionate fans. "It's great," she says, "that people are thinking about it so much. Audiences enjoy -- I know I do -- being a participant as opposed to sitting back. I like something that makes you think.

"There are so many hidden messages and reasonings and secrets in each episode that unless you're really thinking about it, you don't get all that. And there's so many theories, one's gotta be right."

Asked if she has a personal theory about what's up with the survivors' mysterious island home, with its polar bears, invisible monsters, whispering spirits and buried metal hatches, de Ravin says, "To be honest with you, it keeps changing the more we do the show. It probably won't change any more until next season, because we've been given the last scripts. I've got no more to work with. "I still have a theory, like many people, that we are all meant to be here. It's not an accident, especially after my episode."

In "Raised by Another," which aired Dec. 1, a psychic in Australia, fearful that someone other than Claire would raise her child, deceived the unwed mother-to-be into getting on the fateful flight to Los Angeles.

"But it's not just me," de Ravin says, "it's everyone. There's something that we're maybe supposed to resolve by being here. We're put here for a reason, and if we resolve whatever issue or problem or thing we're facing, somehow maybe we'll find a way out."

With so much speculation on the Internet, the Australian-born de Ravin wonders about the effect on fans across the globe that, intentionally or accidentally, are exposed to plot developments before episodes air in their countries. "I could be wrong," she says, "but I don't think there's a show on air right now that actually airs the same time in each country. It's kind of a shame for international viewers. You can go online and find out what happens in future episodes.

"A show like 'Lost' relies so much on its suspense and mystery, if something's revealed when it shouldn't be, it's kind of a shame."

• 4 months later...

Emilie De Ravin Wants A Spontaneous Wedding

By: Entertainment News Staff

deravin1dl.jpg

Lost actress Emilie De Ravin recently confessed she wants a spontaneous wedding, arguing that bringing their families together in one place is almost impossible.

"Lost" actress Emilie De Ravin recently confessed she wants a spontaneous wedding, arguing that bringing their families together in one place is almost impossible.

De Ravin, 24, declared she's madly in love and happy, after her boyfriend proposed her. "It was very romantic," Emilie explained.

"Josh had planned it all - he'd even bought the ring. I am very excited, but I think the wedding will have to be impromptu because it is almost impossible to get all our families together in one place. "We have a dog, Bella, who is a perfect baby substitute for now. She's a poodle with large flappy ear - she is really unique."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Lost Claires Up a Big Mystery

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060301insider1.jpg

Emilie de Ravin, Lost

Tonight on ABC's Lost (9 pm/ET), a crisis involving baby Aaron leads Claire to delve into the unsolved mystery of exactly what happened during her Season 1 kidnapping at the hands of ghoulish Ethan Rom (aka the Other man). TVGuide.com spoke to Aussie beauty Emilie de Ravin about Claire's new adventure, her "hard-to-handle" Lost leading man and her frighteningly fun new role.

TVGuide.com: I have to wonder, having often flitted between Australia and Los Angeles yourself, was it eerie to do a show about a doomed Oz-L.A. flight?

Emilie de Ravin: Yeah, kinda! I never really thought about it too much, though. I think it was more odd that Claire was the only Australian survivor. [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: I'm thinking the flight is grueling enough without having to worry about otherworldly interloping. So... as this week's Claire-centric episode gets underway, where is your character's head at?

De Ravin: Well, she's going through a lot with her baby not being too well, and that starts to bring back some flashes of repressed memories, and she's not really sure where they're from. Then it comes to light that they're from when she was kidnapped by Ethan. We really learn what happened to her during those days.

TVGuide.com: Do we learn everything, or are there some holes left?

De Ravin: In Lost tradition, there will be some holes, but it's pretty clear what happened to her when she was away. It clears up a lot of interesting things.

TVGuide.com: I'm glad to see them finally pick up this loose thread. And it was nice of Claire to wait for the tailies' stories to be told before she decided to ask herself, "What the hell happened to me?!"

De Ravin: [Chuckles] I know!

TVGuide.com: Are there any new flashbacks to Claire's preflight life?

De Ravin: No, we dealt only with on-island flashbacks to last season, when I was kidnapped. They haven't done an "all on-island" show before, so that was kind of cool.

TVGuide.com: And William Mapother is back as Ethan?

De Ravin: Yeah, and he's great. I have a lot of fun working with him.

TVGuide.com: You should have seen him as this alien infectee on Threshold. Dude is so good at playing bad.

De Ravin: He is; he's very creepy!

TVGuide.com: Was it fun to have Claire, Kate and Rousseau embark on this adventure?

De Ravin: Yes, it was a "little girl hike"! We don't need no men or guns! That was fun, trekking through the wet jungle and dealing with lots of bugs.

TVGuide.com: Claire is, after all, done with the pregnancy and getting back into fighting form....

De Ravin: Right, and getting ready to join the army. [Laughs] Leave the kid at home!

TVGuide.com: After this episode, will Claire be more active in her island existence?

De Ravin: I think that has progressively been happening, but she obviously has been held back by having a young baby. You can't endanger yourself too much for that reason. Plus, who do you leave your child with? There aren't too many people she'd leave the child with after what's been happening lately... losing Aaron every five minutes! She's very wary of that.

TVGuide.com: Going back to last season's Claire-centric episode, what's your take on what that psychic foresaw? Did he know Claire's plane would crash?

De Ravin: I think he did and I think Claire believes he did. But it was more of his overall belief that [whatever happened] would secure the situation in such a way that I would be forced to bring up the baby myself.

TVGuide.com: Does this week's episode shed any new light on that mysterious "need" for Claire to watch over Aaron?

De Ravin: No, it doesn't.

TVGuide.com: How has it been working with that leading man of yours? Baby Aaron, I mean.

De Ravin: You mean "the 20 faces of Aaron"? [Laughs] He changes weekly. There are back-up babies for when he needs to be screaming or if he needs to be happy.... And they can't work all day, so there are a couple that come in each day.

TVGuide.com: You make it sound like shipping produce. Is it always a local baby, or do they "import" them from L.A.?

De Ravin: No, that's what's hard, finding them on the island [of Oahu]. There are a fair amount of Caucasian babies, but not that many. And finding ones approximately the right age is the big problem. Some come to work who are just huge, like 6-month-old babies. Aaron is supposed to be, like, 4 to 4 1/2 weeks old.

TVGuide.com: I can see the Honolulu Star-Bulletin want ad now: "Needed: Baby That Ages One Hour per Month."

De Ravin: I know, right? It's kind of difficult to hold a baby who wants to sit up in a newborn position. They aren't too happy about that!

TVGuide.com: You played a pregnant alien on Roswell. Why do you think that show didn't do better? It seemed to have the right ingredients

• 3 weeks later...

Lost's De Ravin Wants Answers

Sci Fi Wire

lost_streiber5.jpg

Emilie de Ravin

Emilie De Ravin, who plays Claire on ABC's hit series Lost, admitted to SCI FI Wire that she and her castmates are as eager as fans to know what's going on with their mysterious island. "I'd like some ... answers!" De Ravin said in an interview while promoting her upcoming horror film The Hills Have Eyes. "I want to know why we're all there! But I don't know if that's going to happen this season."

Viewers learned a bit more about De Ravin's character in the last original episode, "Maternity Leave," which dealt with Claire's memories of her abduction last season. Now, De Ravin said, she's waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"I'm really interested to see, actually, for Claire, what goes on with how she's going to deal [with the afermath]," De Ravin said. "I mean, obviously, something happened with these injections. It ... isn't visible now. I want to know what that is; that really interests me. So, OK, the baby's not sick anymore, but what were they for, and what did they inject her with? "

But it's unlikely the show will do another episode focusing solely on her character, De Ravin added. "Probably not," she said. "I mean, [there are] not that many more [episodes left] before the end of the season. And ... the last few are always sort of everyone, which is kind of cool. I like that. Intertwining a bit."

One thing De Ravin said she is looking forward to: the return of series co-creator J.J. Abrams to more active involvement with the series next year, when he's finished directing the feature film Mission: Impossible III. "He wants to, I think, involve himself a bit more," she said. "It obviously depends on what he's got going. He's quite busy with other things. ... It'll be kind of nice. ...It'll be lovely to have him back." Lost airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

'Lost' actress Emilie de Ravin marries

ap_small.gif

LOS ANGELES - Emilie de Ravin, who plays Claire Littleton on the television series "Lost," has married actor Josh Janowicz, Us Weekly reported.

The pair, who live in Los Angeles, wed June 19, according to a report on the gossip magazine's Web site. They got engaged on Jan. 1, 2005 while visiting de Ravin's family in Australia. De Ravin, 24, recently starred in the thriller "The Hills Have Eyes."

Janowicz, also 24, has credits that include "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and the yet-to-be-released "On the Doll."

• 6 months later...

ap_100.jpg

Separation News

'Lost' Emilie de Ravin Drifts From Husband

20060629emiliederavin.jpg

Josh Janowicz and Emilie de Ravin

Emilie de Ravin, who plays Claire Littleton on ABC's "Lost," has separated from her husband after six months of marriage. The 25-year-old Australian actress and actor Josh Janowicz, also 25, were married in Melbourne in June, her publicist Jeff Raymond said. It was the first marriage for both. They have no children.

Besides "Lost," de Ravin's credits include the horror film "The Hills Have Eyes" and TV's "Roswell." Janowicz appeared on TV's "Cold Case" and was the "hot priest" in the 2003 movie, "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle."

• 1 year later...

Courteys of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Feeling Lost? Here's Our Guide to Claire Littleton

by Jack Rodgers

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

080122int1ravinlost.jpg

Emilie de Ravin as Lost's Claire

Our favorite castaways thus far have been on the island a few months, but for Lost fans, it's been more than 260 days since Jack's super-freaky flash-forward. As the Jan. 31 season premiere draws closer, TVGuide.com is offering daily profiles of the key players in ABC's island-based odyssey.

Claire, By the "Numbers": The only child of a harried single mother in Sydney, Australia, Claire (played by Emile de Ravin) grows up as rebellious and unruly girl working dead end jobs at a tattoo parlor and, later, at a fried fish restaurant. She and her mother get into a major car accident while in the middle of a heated argument; while Claire survives with only superficial injuries, her mom sustains heavy brain damage and is left in a vegetative state. Claire continues to drift through life with little family and no real sense of direction until she discovers she's pregnant by her boyfriend Thomas, who convinces her to keep the baby. Sadly, Thomas later abandons her, and Claire considers giving the baby up for adoption. She consults a psychic for advice, but he ominously tells her that she must raise the baby herself or her unborn child will be in grave danger. Claire ignores his warning and continues with her plans for adoption, and in response the psychic recommends a loving couple in Los Angeles who are desperate for a child. When Oceanic 815 crashes before it can reach its final destination, Claire comes to the realization that the psychic foresaw the plane crash and forced her onboard to ensure that she would not be separated from her baby.

Things Got Interesting When....: It turns out that Claire's pregnancy has larger implications for the mysterious Others, as well. One of the alarming side effects of life on the island is that women are unable to give birth without dying in the process. Claire is kidnapped by Ethan so that the Others can experiment on her and see if someone who has conceived and spent most of her pregnancy off the island can successfully bring a child to term. While the rest of the castaways are able to track down and eventually kill Ethan, the irony is that these medical treatments probably saved Claire's life and allowed her to give birth to her son, Aaron.

'Tis Better to Have Loved and Gotten Lost?: Claire had an on-again, off-again relationship with former rock star Charlie Pace. Charlie did his best to comfort Claire and act as a surrogate father to Aaron, but when his heroin addiction or religious obsessions got the better of him he became self-absorbed and even delusional. At one point Claire was horrified when Charlie took Aaron without her knowledge in order to baptize him. The two eventually reconciled before Charlie sacrificed himself to get everyone else rescued. Before he died, Charlie made it clear that he considers Claire his true love by committing to paper the top five best moments of his life, with his No. 1 choice being their first conversation together.

Six Degrees of Serialization: Claire has one of the deepest connections to another plane crash survivor, even if neither of them knows it: she's actually the illegitimate daughter of Christian Shepard, and thus Jack's half-sister.

Her Season 3 Story: Since the third season focused on the growing conflict between the plane crash survivors and the Others, Claire played more of a supporting role this time around. However she does get a chance to shine when she comes up with an ingenious plan to capture a migratory sea bird and attach a message from all of the survivors before it flies off. It's proof that Claire is more resourceful than many of the other castaways give her credit for, and that she hasn't lost hope that they'll all be rescued one day.

How Claire Has Us Puzzled: How will she react when she finds out about Charlie's death? And what disaster would have befallen Aaron if she had given him up for adoption?

Our Wild Prediction: Upon returning to the real world, Claire becomes a minor celebrity as the quasi-girlfriend of Charlie Pace, and decides to pay the bills by giving interviews about her relationship with the now deceased rock star.