BB8 ... In The Media

Dade

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Big Brother 8 Cruel Twist Has One Houseguest In Tears

bb8_daniele.jpg

On the premiere of Big Brother 8, the fourteen new houseguests received their keys to the Big Brother house. However, only eleven houseguests initially gathered in front of the Big Brother house. The eleven Big Brother houseguests were then sent into the house in groups to claim their beds.

Inside the house, the eleven houseguests introduced themselves and chatted with each other, while three other houseguests named Dick, Dustin, and Jessica secretly watched them from another room in the house. Dick, Dustin, and Jessica each had an enemy, rival, or someone they had unfinished business with among the eleven houseguests. Dick

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters/pr...sider/index.jsp-Ratings Breakdown: Despite a night of repeats, two encore telecasts of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? led Fox to Thursday victory, with an average 5.9 rating/10 share in the overnights from 8-10 p.m. As I have said from the very beginning, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? is the real deal, not just a short-term fluke. Fans of So You Think You Can Dance, take note: the summer dance extravaganza will be back next week with the 14 remaining finalists.In season-premiere news, season No. 8 of CBS

Big Brother 8

Viewers don't warm up to 'Live Earth' coverage

By Paul J. Gough

July 10, 2007

NEW YORK -- NBC's three-hour primetime "Live Earth" special, which included highlights from Saturday's global concerts, failed to generate much enthusiasm in the ratings.

The estimated 2.7 million viewers was slightly under the 3 million viewers NBC has averaged on Saturday nights in the summer with repeats and the Stanley Cup hockey playoffs on what is already the least-popular night of television.

It also performed below the Live 8 concert two years ago, according to preliminary estimates released Monday by Nielsen Media Research.

The three-hour concert special from Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., drew a 0.9 rating/3 share in adults 18-49 --- the same as a typical summer Saturday after Memorial Day.

The special was also just under ABC's primetime coverage of the Live 8 concert, which occurred Independence Day weekend on July 2, 2005. Live 8 averaged 2.9 million viewers and a 1.0 rating/5 share in adults 18-49.

Ratings for the all-day, all-night telecasts on NBC Universal's cable platforms, including 18 hours on Bravo and even more than that on Sundance Channel, won't be in until Tuesday.

Meanwhile, CBS and Fox split Sunday night in primetime, with CBS winning viewership while Fox won in adults 18-49 thanks to repeats of "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons."

"Big Brother," which CBS has hoped would rescue it from the summer ratings doldrums, failed to do just that as it was beaten in viewership at 8 p.m. by "Dateline NBC" and in the demo by repeats of "The Simpsons" on Fox.

"Big Brother" averaged 5.9 million viewers and a 2.1/7 in adults 18-49 compared to "Dateline NBC" (6.3 million, 1.4/4) and an hour of "The Simpsons" (4.9 million, 2.5/8).

Fox's "Family Guy" (6.1 million, 3.2/9 for an entire hour) was the winner at 9 p.m., against repeats "Desperate Housewives" (3.3 million, 1.0/3); "Cold Case" (7.1 million, 1.7/5) and "Law & Order" (6 million, 1.5/4). CBS and NBC split at 10 p.m. with "Without a Trace" (7.3 million, 1.7/5) and "Law & Order: SVU" (6.6 million, 1.9/5).

Sunday averages: ABC (4.1 million, 1.3/4); CBS (7.1 million, 1.7/5); NBC (5.7 million, 1.4/4); Fox (4.4 million, 2.2/7); The CW (1.3 million, 0.5/2).

Big Brother: Gonorrhea Will Get America Watching!

Report and Commentary by Emma Brand

Warning: Contains Spoilers

I don't know whether it was the fact that I was bored on a Sunday or what, but I turned on CBS for the hour leading up to Big Brother 8 and let me just say that they should rename 60 Minutes the "Debbie Downer Hour." If there hadn't been an episode of Big Brother tonight, I don't know what I would have done.

But anyway, on with the show. Welcome back from what seems like a long episode layoff. In the "Previously on Big Brother" portion of the event, they catch us up with Kail winning the HOH. I know that they can't choose the most normal people but I wonder how Kail's town is enjoying their vacation, I wonder what Joe's and Dustin's current boyfriends must think of the whole gonorrhea revelation and I wonder in general about what the families of all of these contestants must think.

Still worried about the STD? I thought I would like the Unfinished Business Aspect more than I do. I think they probably could have come up with some better people to put together. To recap, the estranged father-daughter combo was at auditions together (see Big Sister's report from the Live Feeds). Dustin and Joe seem to be annoying to everyone, not just each other. Of course, if I was the casting director I can see how it would be tempting to cast them just for the STD revelation. Gonorrhea, now that will get America watching! And Carol and Jessica haven't spoken to each other since they were freshmen in high school. If the "unfinished business" category stretched that far, then just about anyone could have made it. I would venture a guess that a lot of the people that you hung out with when you are 14 are not people that you have on your myspace.

I think that we should all get the Chen-bot and Daniele on whatever program those kids are on where you can give the money for a cup of coffee everyday and they can eat. That was rough. When Evil Dick asked Daniele if she was eating, she responded like this, "I'm fine. I totally split an M&M on the way into this house with my BFF. Gah!"

Why is Joe still talking about the gonorrhea? Why? Joe is waving his arms around like Dwight Schrute giving a speech about getting Dustin out, and I am seeing why Joe could become a "love him or hate him" person on this show. Right this second, I am leaning toward the hate him part.

The first HoH room for Kail was revealed and it was decidedly less loud than seasons past, mainly focusing on her kids' pictures.

I propose a "Useless Tears" tally. I think it may rival the national debt I just heard about on the Debbie Downer Hour, but tally number one goes to Jen who hates her picture on the Big Brother wall, and bursts into tears and vows to stand with her hand over it until it is changed. Of course, she could not have done that because we see her in the diary room crying about it and moaning that she has never taken a worse picture in her life, but still I am thinking we make it a game so that the more worthless the tears, the more points they are worth, and then whoever has the most points by the end of the season gets an extra large pack of tissue. I am going to think about this. On the scale of worthless tears, though, crying about a picture on the wall is pretty worthless. I had braces until I was 16, and all those pictures made the yearbook and I didn't shed one tear, and I didn't get the clear braces. Buck up Jen! You will make it. By the way, pretty sure that I caught some fake crying there at the end.

As for an entire segment dedicated to Evil Dick and his namedropping, I think that was worthless. Only Kail was impressed. Seriously, at least Tommy Lee could play drums Evil Dick. I just keep waiting for him to go out into the yard, smoking a cigarette, and be like, "Yeah, see these hedges cut to look like animals? I did that. Yeah, like Johnny Depp taught me how right when he got back from his role on Edward Scissorhands. Johnny is so sweet dude!"

While Evil Dick is doing that, Kail and Mike are forming an alliance. one that is being called the "Mrs. Robinson alliance." I am liking that Kail has targeted the 3 guys I want to look at for the rest of the summer. I get kind of an Eva Longoria with the yard boy vibe. Not that things are adulterous, just that if I was middle aged, married and stuck in a house, that's who I would pick. Speaking of whom I would pick, America's Player, Eric, is probably tied for last as to who I would pick. That being said, I am up for coming up with some absolutely horrible stuff for him to do. Just for my own amusement. Either that or a vow of silence. One or the other.

The Food Competition involves the teams dumping butter on each other, and then wiping it off. Understandably, Dick's team doesn't want him touching them. Hee Hee. Mike said it was like watching Baywatch. It reminded me more of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer uses butter for lotion. Red team beat Blue Team by 40 pounds (that is not a typo) of butter. 40 pounds! Blue Team will be on Big Brother Slop. So not what Daniele needs. Hope she enjoyed the half an M&M.

After the Joe and Dustin Hammock couples counseling portion, Evil Dick says in the diary room that he will die for his daughter without a thought. I just wanted that on record in case he later nominates his daughter, or votes her out of the house, or puts her on slop, or "throws her under the bus" in any way.

And now we are down to the nominations. I had forgotten how much I missed the key ceremony. What suspense, what drama, what fun. I love that Kail started it with, "In the spirit of fairness, let the nomination begin." Then she nominates Carol and Amber. She says that Carol and Amber are nominated because they were the first ones out of the HoH competition. Hooey! But good move for Carol. Joe, with his half open shirt agrees. Of course you do, Joe, it wasn't you. Amber is mad that Kail put her up because they are both mothers.

And just like that the hour is over and we have to wait all the way until Tuesday to see the next episode. But not to know what is going on because there are the 24 hour feeds and the other updates on this website. Happy Big Brother 8, everyone!

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, SURFER GIRL

Big Brother

Oh Brother! Why I Already Dislike Some Big Brother ContestantsSo I just finished reading this article about Radical Honesty in Esquire (don't ask). It is an interesting concept just to say what you are really thinking instead of keeping it in. Not normally my MO, but I've just got to get this one thing off my chest: I can't stand Jessica. I know that I have been cursed with a teeny little girl voice and there's not too much she could do about that, but she doesn't have to be quite so bitchy.

I've been trying hard to watch the After Dark episodes, but every time she talks I just have to fast-forward. I think the thing that irks me is that she has the stupidest reason for disliking Carol. Who cares about that stupid high school stuff? Grow up. Her little comment at the end of tonight's episode - "see you at the high school reunion in 10 years" - totally irked me. First of all, her reunion will be in less than 10 years. And I believe that she'll see Carol at the end of the season at the Big Brother reunion, even if Carol gets voted out first.

I shouldn't be wasting so much blog space on her, but I am developing a little twitch every time she talks and it is getting a little bit annoying.

As for tonight's episode, I'm wasn't altogether surprised that Daniele didn't use the Power of Veto, but I've got to give her kudos for winning that challenge. Hiding her veto piece in the middle of slop was pretty damned smart.

I'm digging being puppet master to Eric. Having him make tears with his contact solution and fake a story about a friend with anorexia was pretty entertaining. I also like telling him who to vote for... though arguably that could really mess up any alliances he might make down the road. This should be an interesting twist to see play out.

Post any spoiler free commentary below. If you want to discuss the live feeds or the After Dark episodes, post them on this blog here. (EDIT: use BB forum)

Posted by Angel Cohn

Jen confirmed as Chill Town "ringer"

Fans may not know it but there is a Chill Town 'ringer' in the 'Big Brother 8' house.

"She will definitely be Chill Town extended if she follows our coaching tips," said 'Big Brother All-Stars' winner Mike 'Boogie' Malin, revealing that HouseGuest Jen Johnson is a friend of both his and Will 'Doctor Evil' Kirby. The 23-year-old nanny and model even vacationed with Chill Town in the Bahamas a month before the series debuted.

"I am not saying she will definitely pull it off as there is only so much Chill Town can do from the outside but hopefully she will go a long way," said an optimistic Malin.

Since walking away with the million dollar grand prize as the winner of 'Big Brother All-Stars', Malin has gone on to expand the thriving The Dolce Group, an L.A. based restaurant and nightclub management company he co-owns with friend Lonnie Moore, by opening nine more restaurants. Still, he is proud of what he was able to accomplish on 'Big Brother All-Stars' and 'Big Brother 2'.

"The first time I went, I didn't care one iota about the game. I just went in to expose myself as a showman and an entertainer. That is why I kinda carved out that character and was much more into the antics as opposed to being a game player," Malin recalled. "I told myself that if I got a shot at 'All-Stars' that I was going to go back and be strictly a game player. I knew deep down that I was just as good a player at that game as Will and I wanted to show that to America, the producers and the other players."

Arguably the stars of the 'All-Star' season, and one of the most dominating and entertaining alliances in reality show history, as Chill Town, Mike and Will were able to work their ensemble magic on the other HouseGuests from the time they walked in the door.

"I'd say we were really equal. In the first five weeks, it was all me though. I was the one that forged relationships with Danielle and James which was crucial to the mid point of the game. Will got to Janelle which I probably never could have done. We were a complete team," said a proud Malin.

Will and Janelle or "Winelle" as they are called by 'Big Brother' fanatics, were not only good for ratings but controversy as well. With every moment of their relationship in and out of the house scrutinized by fans, many took one side or the other when the two returned to their private lives and seemingly went their separate ways. As Will's best friend, Malin has his own take on the whole sordid situation.

"I think they were both sexually attracted to each other. They both had mates at home. They both knew that their attraction could further each other in the game," he surmised. "The dynamic of Will and Janelle is that they are the same person. They both used their sexuality to get things in life and they just transferred that to the 'Big Brother' house. The combination of those two personalities made for a dynamic that really popped on television."

Although his responsibilities at The Dolce Group do keep him quite busy, Malin has managed to follow the new 'Big Brother' season and already has his favourites, besides Jen, that is.

"I really like the gay couple. I think they are going to save the show.

Everyone else seems sort of homogenous. The gay couple and the father/ daughter pair will be the sensational aspects of the show. Everyone else kinda seems like the same people but you know, the series has a long way to go," he concluded.

If he was in charge of the CBS production, there are a few things Mike 'Boogie' would change though. First off, he would ditch the Food Competitions and the penalty slop diets. In his mind, they do wreck havoc on the HouseGuests but that just doesn't play out that well on television. He would also not hold the competitions in the backyard any longer. He would host them in a larger production area that would give the producers more options.

"I always thought what they should do is build a separate area for the games. One of the greatest things about 'Survivor' is that they have these games that are very dramatic and are on a large scale. I think the 'Big Brother' challenges are very limited because of the space in the backyard," said Malin.

On the entertainment front, Malin will be co-starring in an upcoming episode of the E! series 'Doctor 90210' with his pal Will Kirby. As Chill Town, he and Will have received offers to appear on other shows but nothing has caught their attention just yet. Also, neither wants to get into a situation that would put their respective careers in jeopardy.

"We are always gonna be around. Of the group, we will be the two that will stick it out and make the 15 minutes go to an hour," Malin laughed.

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Big Brother Results

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Big Brother - Daniele and Evil Dick Nominated For Eviction

bb8_evildicknom.jpg

After Carol was evicted from the house, Amber said that she felt God put her on the chopping block to make her realize that she was much stronger than she gave herself credit for. Also, Jen confessed to Amber that she was the only person that didn

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Big Brother's First Castoff Blasts "Two-faced" Rivals

by Nina Hammerling Smith

070716int2caroljourney.jpg

Carol Journey, Big Brother 8

On the first eviction episode of CBS' Big Brother 8, 21-year-old University of Kansas senior Carol Journey was sent packing by a whopping 10 to 1 vote. The following morning, the business marketing major (whose father is a Republican in the Kansas state senate) gave TVGuide.com the inside scoop on which house guest was two-faced, who revealed more than their personality, and what she really thinks of her "nemesis."

TVGuide.com: You seemed to know that you'd be evicted.

Carol Journey: I made it very clear that I wanted to go home, that it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea. I'm excited to go home. I'm... pretty thrilled, actually.

TVGuide.com: When you heard that some house guests would be living with people from their past, were you shocked to see Jessica walking down those stairs?

Carol: I thought it had to be a joke. I honestly thought that our fight from eighth grade, when we were 13 years old, was just so petty and minuscule that it was nothing like the conflicts between the other house guests. I was very surprised to see her.

TVGuide.com: Jessica said that it all started over a $5 loan.

Carol: She is so full of it, I can't even handle it. I don't remember what the conflict was about, but I doubt that $5 would ruin a three-year friendship and cause me not to talk to a person for seven years. I did not hold on to this at all, but she's obviously still holding a grudge.

TVGuide.com: She's got quite a grating voice.

Carol: I'm glad somebody else noticed that besides me. She's always sounded like the ditz.

TVGuide.com: On to the other house guests. What's up with Jen and those "Jenius" t-shirts?

Carol: You can't take her seriously. It's more of a joke. I found it very humorous. I'm not gonna lie

Big Brother Results

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV GUIDE NEWS

CBS to Text-message Viewers About Late Start Times

Did you ever imagine that life would become so complicated you

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Big Brother

by Trish Wethman

Episode Recap: Nomination 3

Although I figured that the nominations of Kail and Jen were a foregone conclusion, I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed. I was hoping Evel Dick would try to mix it up a little bit and toss in a surprise. Having said that, I would be happy to see either of those nominees go, so I won

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Big Brother's Joe Dishes on His Ex and a "Brilliant Twist"

by Nina H

Big Brother - Jen Wins Power Of Veto, Mike Goes On The Block

After Dick nominated Jen and Kail for elimination, the power of veto competition was an endurance challenge. The last two standing were Dick and Jen. Dick tried to convince Jen that she was safe and that she should let him win. However, Jen wouldn

Big Brother Results - Mike Dutz Eliminated

In the America

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Big Brother's Latest Evictee Gets Himself Kicked Out

by Nina Hämmerling Smith

070731intmikedutz.jpg

Mike Dutz, Big Brother

In what has been called the stupidest move in Big Brother history, 26-year-old Mike Dutz antagonized HoH Dick into putting him on the block during last week's veto competition. The painting contractor originally from Wisconsin spoke to us about his broken alliance and why he did what he did.

TVGuide.com: Did you know you were the one going home?

Mike Dutz: I wasn't surprised; in campaigning the last couple of days, it was kind of [sounding] to me like the votes weren't there, just through people's body language. I definitely felt threatened; I was prepared to hear my name.

TVGuide.com: How were you campaigning?

Mike: I took the opportunity to display that I was a man of my word, a person of values. I stuck my neck out on the line during the veto competition to hopefully prove that to people.

TVGuide.com: You said that there was a backstory to why you taunted Dick during the veto competition.

Mike: Nick told Kail that Dick was after us, and that's when Kail's campaigning to get Dick out of the house started. We wanted to get him out of the house, just if he happened to win HoH. When he did, Kail knew she was going up on the block, and I thought I was as well, because he and everybody else knew that Kail and I were in an alliance.

TVGuide.com: But you weren't on the block, Jen was. So why did it seem like a good strategic move to antagonize him, knowing it would lead to your own nomination?

Mike: The original plan was to hopefully play in the veto competition and take Kail off the block, but Kail was the first one out. It wasn't any malicious intent, I wasn't trying to piss him off. I didn't think it was fair that Jen was on the block; it should have been me, because I was part of that campaign against Dick. I wanted Jen to win, because I knew she was going to use it on herself, and Dick was going to put me in her place.

TVGuide.com: Was it your loyalty to Kail that did you in?

Mike: Yeah, in a nutshell. It was me playing the game as fair as I could. With both of us being up on the block, it gave Kail a fair advantage.

TVGuide.com: Do you regret your alliance with her?

Mike: I regret getting in an alliance in the first place; I really wanted to play the game solo for a while. I felt cornered, because Kail was HoH the first week, and she sought me out. I felt that if I turned her down, I could be going up on the block, because she might feel threatened. I wanted it to be only a two-person alliance, and she wanted at least three, and the third person, Zack, already had an alliance, with Nick. Suddenly I was in a four-person alliance, and I had wanted to be solo the whole time.

TVGuide.com: What happened with the alliance, anyway? It seemed to crumble really fast.

Mike: It kind of split with Nick and Zack on one side and Kail and myself on the other side. When we tried to get answers out of Nick, he was hanging out with people like Daniele, Jameka, Dustin and Amber all the time.

TVGuide.com: What do you think of Nick's relationship with Daniele?

Mike: At first he told me that he was just playing her and was going to make her look stupid at the end; he said that he would vote her out any week that she was up. But I don't know if he was being honest with me.

TVGuide.com: Is Zack vulnerable now?

Mike: Absolutely. I think it's probably a matter of a week or two until he's evicted, assuming he doesn't win HoH.

TVGuide.com: I think we heard you speak more when you were leaving than in all the rest of the time you were in the house.

Mike: I had lots of conversations with the alliance about strategy. Also, in the first week I took three of the girls out on dates, Carol, Jen and Amber. I took them to the hammock, a lounge chair by the pool or a towel laid out on the grass, looking up at the one star we could see. It was a get-to-know-you type of thing.

TVGuide.com: When you were leaving the house, you gave all the girls flowers.

Mike: I'd always give flowers to the girls on the dates, so that was kind of my trademark.

TVGuide.com: The houseguests seemed divided about you: Some, like Carol, said you were smart, with a lot going on under the surface, and others, like Joe, said you were sort of simple.

Mike: I had a whole discussion with Carol; maybe some of the things I said to her came across as me being smart. I consider myself a smart guy. Joe, on the other hand, I really never had a one-on-one conversation with, so I don't think he ever saw what my abilities were.

TVGuide.com: What's next for you?

Mike: I'm going to continue on just like I was before I got into the Big Brother house

Big Brother

Archived