Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "The Baby in the Bough"

Sometimes, I tell ya, this show acts like it really wants to be a sitcom. It wasn't rocket science that Bones' idea of mothering went from "How about some visual and auditory stimulation?" to "You don't know what they'll do with him there, we can't take him back yet, it's better here!" There

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "The Verdict in the Story"

Sometimes you think you know a show, and then it goes and throws you for a loop. I always thought that if ever I had a reason to type those words about this show, they'd be about the science blowing my mind, and not the humanity of it all. I mean, we all like it when episodes delve a little further into the spark that keeps Brennan going, right? With this episode, I realized that spark was not quite where I thought it was hidden in her. And maybe that makes her even better for it.

We all knew it was coming: Brennan's father's (Ryan O'Neal) trial for the murder of deputy FBI director Kirby. It sure took the series long enough (as it happened way back in the middle of Season 2) to get back to this storyline and create a little closure, but I suppose it's closer to reality this way. Though the man claims he was innocent, he is actually innocent only in his own terms -- defending himself and his family against a really evil man. For all intents and purposes, Max is indeed guilty of killing Kirby and everyone knows it, including his children. Not very good for your own defense.

It also didn't help that the smartest minds at the Jeffersonian, sans Brennan and Angela, were all working against him, testifying for the prosecution at his trial. It takes some guts to do what Angela did, choosing a) to be in contempt of court, B) not help send her best friend's father to death row rather than follow the law that she believed was wrong. What an activist she is, pleading the 1st Amendment. I loved it. I want her to be my BFF. "Like, totally," as Sweets would say.

The prosecution's case weighed heavily on connecting the murder weapon and the debris found at the monastery, apartment and rooftop to Max Brennan. With a little help from good old Jeffersonian forensic temp Clark (Eugene Byrd)(see how much he came in handy!), it was found that the murder weapon was actually a misericord that Brennan owned. Unfortunately, the murder weapon swap did nothing to improve Max's case.

The one that did help though, was Bones' concoction of a possibility that since both she and Booth also tracked the same debris to the same areas and had access to the murder weapon, any of them could be guilty. The jury couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Max had done it, and he was set free.

I like it when episodes point out how odd a character Bones is. Seeing her every week and being charmed by her, I feel like we've come to understand her foibles and her unshakable logic, and by so doing, forget that real people can't survive very well that way. It must be a hard thing to reconcile that you've become the person you always strove to be, only to see that you gave up on your humanity along the way. This whole episode was about Bones' friends (including Dr. Sweets Geeks) trying to get her to understand that, and I think a part of her really did.

From the beginning when we saw Bones laughing uncontrollably over Booth's not understanding the mechanism of decomposition, it was clear what kind of person we were dealing with. For her, things are black and white. For her, there is always an empirical solution. And for her, it must be ironic to sit back and feel for your incarcerated father when all the empirical evidence you lean on says he's a murderer.

It's funny, too, how I so wanted Max to go free despite knowing the truth. And that I wanted the Jeffersonian team to fail. Fail! Any other case and I would never want that for those folks. And yet in this situation, I wanted them to get it wrong because I do have a heart. Funny how even television can create these gray ethical areas. In the end, it was Bones' logic, fueled by her emotions, that helped free her father.

It's also easy to forget that Max was on the run from the law before Kirby was killed, and he chose to turn himself in so that he could finally be near his only daughter and make up for what his life on crime on the lam had done to their relationship. She loved that he had loved her enough to sacrifice himself in such a way, but can you imagine what devastation she might have actually felt if her father was successfully prosecuted, possibly executed, all because he chose time with her over his own freedom? I don't think there's much science that can make that wound heal.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hog-tied-looking skeleton in the beginning of the episode had to do with anything. Perhaps it'll be relevant to next week's case? I had also been wondering whether Dr. Sweets' involvement in cases was going to get old, and now I see the clever plan behind it all

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "The Wannabe in the Weeds"

I have nothing witty in my repertoire to help me talk about Booth getting shot tonight by a crazed stalker, his life jeopardy, only one episode away from the season finale. It's like I'm worried, even. Logically, I don't believe they could kill off his character and just wash their hands of it, but what if we have to wait until next season to find out how he's doing? Thats what I'm really afraid of.

For a show based on a forensic anthropologist who doesn't buy into psychology, tonight's episode certainly waded deep into those Freudian waters. Seeing Sweets and Brennan battle it out in a verbal Debate Of The Smartypantses was strangely educational, and dare I say Brennan seemed to have learned something from Sweets' kind of analysis despite her protestations. This ep was huge on motivations; why we do the things we do, what drives us to irrationality, how our needs come to play in our behavior. And then they put singing, oh yes, at the center of it all. Zack sang us a dirge and didn't seem to mind the crowd of eggheads who stopped to ogle his pipes. And Brennan? Despite her oft-over-seriousness, she got down with that Cyndi Lauper song at the end of the episode. I love that this show finds room for that kind of pure fun. Well, until somebody gets shot. The scene went from party joy to Bones trying to keep Booth alive as he's staring blankly at the ceiling. Totally overwhelming.

So, singing

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode recap: "The Pain in the Heart"

The events that went on in this season finale were pretty surprising to me, not all in good ways. I'm very happy that there are shows on TV whose writing can still throw me for a loop, but I found myself really questioning the plausibility of many of the events, which has been happening a lot with me this season. When I can't just suspend my disbelief and I end up sitting there going, "No way, that would never happen" instead of being totally into the story, something gets lost for me.

Regarding Booth's "death," it was extremely emotional to see everyone preparing or his funeral, and to see how badly Brennan was handling it. I teared up. This wasn't a scene I ever thought we'd see, even though I knew he couldn't possibly be gone. It was a superb twist that he was still alive, but after hearing the explanation about the top-secret FBI case he was working on, the whole thing just left me kind of deflated and questioning. Why would they choose to get this bad guy now? Why was Booth the only one trying to stop him from pulling a gun? Why did Brennan have to knock the guy over the head with a mannequin leg when there was a line of Marines and officers there too? Who was that guy and why did he want Booth killed? This is what I mean. It all really begs for answers, and there just aren't any.

The episode followed the Jeffersonian team's Gormogon investigation after a human jawbone was delivered to them with a set of silver screws, tying it to the ongoing case. Zack determined it has been chewed on by teeth from a pair of home-made plastic dentures and he and Hodgins set to re-creating what they might look like. The bone was boiled, so Hodgins was assigned to find out what kinds of minerals were in the water used for the boiling. Everyone was set on IDing the bone, which we found out came from the lobbyist we saw murdered in his home a few episodes back.

As far as setting up some big suspense, I thought this finale really did some great things. I wholeheartedly suspected that Gormogon's apprentice would be Cam... and then Hodgins... and then Sweets. (Though I did wonder where Clark had run off to). I bought it all. When the story can make you suspect some of the characters you love dearly of being murderous cannibals, I think that's some good storytelling.

Sweets really skeeved me out when it came to light that he never told Bones about Booth's death as an experiment. How do you do that? It just seemed cruel to me. He seemed to impart his professional opinion over so much of the case, and it was odd to see that level of involvement from someone who in my eyes hasn't yet earned their place on the team. I figure it was all done to set him up to look guilty in this particular case, but his actions throughout the episode made me lose a bit of the sympathy I had for the guy.

After Zack was caught in the chemical explosion in the lab, it seemed that he couldn't be the culprit because he was now a victim, and Hodgins started looking pretty skeevy with his weird mannerisms in the lab and upping Zack's meds to shut him up. We now know that it was all to help his buddy, but T.J. Thyne pulls off Disturbed Scientist maybe too convincingly.

In the end, Zack pretty easily let himself be found out as the apprentice with his incorrect diagnosis on where the jaw bone's tooth marks came from. Of course, he didn't think he'd end up with third degree burns from the chemical explosion he'd set set up for himself, either. But with all the places this episode went and all the accusations it made, it explained through the Gormogon reality ever too quickly for my likes. Zack is very central to this show, and I found it difficult to accept that this morally (or maybe just logically?) upstanding guy would make this huge turn in his life, accept the teachings of someone he barely knows based on a few logic principles, become Gormogon's apprentice and kill people, and that we'd have to accept his downfall in just a few minutes. Really now?

I never considered Zack to be someone particularly weak in character. This ending made it seem as though anyone with good enough logic would be able to convince him of doing anything, which to me borders on disrespecting the guy. Perhaps more of his story was built up and missing in the episodes that were never produced because of the strike? Maybe Zack's lingering post-traumatic stress played a part? I need something more to accept that this guy, who always worked with the good guys solving crimes, would ever go over to the dark side. And that he'll now be spending the rest of his life in a psychiatric facility. Big ouch.

I'll say the one thing I did really enjoy seeing was how real and balanced Brennan was in this situation. As someone who we rarely see downtrodden or sad or expressing any sort of involved emotion, she really ran the gamut in light of the extreme things happening in her life. She was furious enough at Booth to barge into his bath unannounced (now one of my top scenes from this show EVER), she showed immense kinship for Zack when she put her forehead to his in the hospital, and really regretted not showing her love for him like the rest of the squints had as they went through his belongings. I don't think we've ever seen her so cracked by the things happening around her. She was almost a different person from the compartmentalizing doc we know, but in a more human way, and in a way that to me was not a stretch. If she hadn't been, and remained her collected logical self, I think that would have been pretty unbelievable.

There's a lot more to discuss in this episode that there's no space for, but I wanted to at least get to the parts that felt really important. I also wished we'd had more of a connection with the Gormogon master (anyone else think he looked a lot like John Turturro?) and that he wasn't just a nobody. Same with the bad guy at Booth's funeral. I can't imagine what next season will look like with Zack (mostly?) gone, or how the dynamic in the lab might be different without him. Will he be replaced? Have we all been punked and this is just one big, bad dream? I can't imagine what's in store, and this finale just felt a little too big for its one hour for me. I'm still a little thrown.

I want to hear what you guys thought. Are you still in shock? Did anyone love the finale? Are you excited for what Season 4 may bring?

Meaty quotes

"I need my best friend."

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The last show seemed a little odd to me, like there wasn't as much chemistry there between the characters. I really wish that they didn't take Zach off the show; it's definitely lacking something since he's been gone. There will never be a squint replacement for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this show and am loving this season. I totally agree too...I miss Zack. I loved his character!

Has anyone read the books this show is supposed to be based off of? I have read them all and I have only starting watching the show in the last year or so...the reruns were on during a time nothing else was so I watched. At first I didn't like the show at all because it is NOTHING like the books and I loved the characters from the books and the fact that they are based in Canada. It took a bit to adjust but now that I have been watching I am hooked but to me the books and the show are two totally different things.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a general topic and don't know if anyone would agree with any of this but I think that the creators should put Angela and hodgens together again and that they should also find a way to bring Zack back.... the lab just is NOT nor will it EVER BE the same without him!!! Oh, and I am not too fond of the new agent either.

I am not sure about my feelings for the new agent. She seems to trying to mess with Bones and Booths relationship. I am hoping that Angela and Hodges get back together, they are perfect for each other.

As for Zack......I miss him :(

• 3 months later...