Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

DIG THIS: Fox has ordered a second season of Bones, which has been averaging 8.4 million viewers but as of late has enjoyed a boost in the Nielsens from its Tuesday American Idol lead-in.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Bones

Yay, a field-trip episode! I love when they go to fun places, like the middle of the desert, or as Angela put it, "About 100 miles past where Jesus lost his sandals." So I feel bad that Angela's three-week-a-year boyfriend ended up as coyote food, but at least she knows that she has a friend who would drop everything and head across the country to help her without a second thought. Bones even brought in backup, and she only had to beg Booth a little bit, "I want you to get federal on his ass." And once there, he only griped a couple of times about the climate. "I'm touring the hottest places in the universe. Next stop hell." I thought for sure that they were going to feel the heat when the sheriff ditched them in the desert, but it is nice to be wrong about people once in a while. Oh, and Goodman is trying to push Zack out of the department, but does he want him out of the Jeffersonian nest completely, or is he just prodding him to get his grad degree? I just adore the Zack-Hodgins dynamic and would hate to see them split up.

• 5 weeks later...

Due to two episodes of House this week there will be no Bones on Wednesday May 3. Bones will return on Wednesday May 10 at 8:00pm Eastern on FOX

• 2 weeks later...

Bones

May 10, 2006: Ripped from the Headlines

So this wasn't my favorite Bones. I still enjoyed parts of it, but overall I was left a bit unsatisfied. Don't get me wrong, watching Booth spill his secrets to Bones was a touching moment. David B. showed some emotion, and I might have gotten a little verklempt. I just didn't really like the whole ripped-from-the-headlines aspect. I'm sure that a lot of the cases used on the show are based on reality, but I've never seen such a blatant case as this one. Charlie Kent, an NBA draft pick, was killed in Iraq, and the fact that it was friendly fire was covered up. Sounds surprisingly similar to the Pat Tillman story, except he was a football player. Not saying it isn't an important story to be told, though obviously the Bones episode diverged quite a bit at some points for dramatic effect. But I'd rather wait for the TV-movie.

Did we know before tonight that Booth had a gambling problem? Did we know that anti-pop-culture queen Bones was a fan of John Wayne movies? I don't remember knowing either of those things before. Oh, and I did chuckle at Booth's response to a string of technical jargon from the squints, "We're talking earhole? They simplify these words for a reason, people."

Still, even though it wasn't my favorite episode of the season, I really do enjoy this show. I can't wait for the season finale next week. The previews looked awesome!

Posted by: Angel Cohn 05/11/2006 2:10 PM

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Bones: A Sneak Peek at Season 2

by Ethan Alter

060809insider1.jpg

Bones' David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel

When TVGuide.com caught up with David Boreanaz at last year's Comic-Con, he had just shot the pilot for the Fox series Bones and was scheduled to film the next batch of episodes as soon as he got back to L.A. At that point, no one had any idea how the show would fare in the ratings. What a difference a year makes. Returning to San Diego a few weeks ago, the former angsty vampire was all smiles, secure in the knowledge that his character, FBI agent Seeley Booth, would be solving forensic crimes opposite Dr. Temperance Brennan (Emily Deschanel) for another season. After appearing at a Bones panel discussion (moderated by TV Guide's Lisa Chambers), Boreanaz and executive producer Hart Hanson gave TVGuide.com some inside info on how Brennan and Booth will be spending their sophomore year.

TVGuide.com: You must feel a certain confidence going into Season 2, after a successful first season.

David Boreanaz: Well, I felt confident going into the start of last season, too. Being confident is part of the work you do on a show. But going to work this season is very exciting. Hart has made some considerable changes as far as writers and producers that have come on, and [as far as ] the new director of photography. The stuff I've seen [from this season] looks fantastic, totally different. It's good to be in the position we are in, where we have an identity for what the show is. Last year at this time we knew that the show worked overall, but we had to find out what didn't work. You always do that as the shows progress.

Hart Hanson: We know what everybody can do now, and we've seen where the good mixtures are. For example, David and T.J. [Thyne, who plays Hodgins] have a good thing going that we're exploiting.

TVGuide.com: Has anything else changed for this season?

Hanson: We brought in a pathologist [to be played by Lost's Tamara Taylor] who is in charge of forensics at the lab, so Brennan now has a boss and they have completely different agendas about what the lab should do. They'll always have different points of view, and David is stuck in the middle.

TVGuide.com: Last season ended with a major revelation about Brennan's family. Are there any big surprises in store for Booth this year?

Hanson: We get lots more of Booth's life this season

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Bones' Booth Gets His Sexy On

by Angel Cohn

060830insider1.jpg

David Boreanaz, Bones

Since the very first episode of Bones, audiences have been enthralled with Booth (David Boreanaz) and Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and their will-they-or-won't-they relationship. TVGuide.com got a chance to talk to Boreanaz about what's in store romantically for his character this year (the short answer: a lot!), and what he did on his summer vacation.

TVGuide.com: How'd you spend your hiatus?

David Boreanaz: It was kind of short, since we finished later than normal and started back on production in June. I went home to Philadelphia, then went to Mexico to kind of dissolve myself with some sand, beach and water, and a bottle of tequila, which was nice.

TVGuide.com: Sounds relaxing.

Boreanaz: It went fast, and it is hard to believe that we are already on our sixth episode.

TVGuide.com: Were you surprised to find out that the show was debuting in August?

Boreanaz: Last year we premiered in September, right before Emmy weekend, but I guess it worked out well because they've got to get a certain amount of episodes on before baseball [playoffs coverage] starts. I'm just like, whatever. [The short break] kind of takes away from family life and personal life, but at the same time, I'm working and I love working on the show. I've just got to balance all that stuff out. It's good. I can't complain.

TVGuide.com: Are you happy with your Wednesdays-at-8 time slot? Don't take this the wrong way, but I really loved it when it was on Tuesday, paired with House.

Boreanaz: I think last year we were all excited about the whole [leading into] American Idol thing, and then House took that slot. We were with House at the beginning, and it would have been a great combination, but Wednesday is a good kickoff for us, and who is to say they won't put us back [with House]. You can't really tell what they are going to do or not. They move you around so damn much and it gets frustrating for the viewers, but they have other shows that they have to premiere. We're out of the honeymoon period.

TVGuide.com: Regardless, the show seems to be doing well.

Boreanaz: I'm not complaining. I think this season is going to be a big surprise for everybody in terms of how much we've grown and how much the stories have grown. There is a more personal touch that each story is going to have, just in regards to my relationship with [brennan], my relationship with others who are coming on the show, and the struggle that [brennan] has with her family. I think it will open up Emily's character. It is good to see her smile; I like that. We have a new producer/director on board who came from The X-Files, we've got a whole new crop of writers, and we got a new DP who has set a fantastic tone for the look of the show. So it is different and just a lot of fun. I'm very pleased with the four episodes we've locked in so far.

TVGuide.com: Sometimes with all those behind-the-scenes changes, you get nervous. But I just watched the premiere, and it was fantastic.

Boreanaz: Oh, did you like the premiere? It's fun, isn't it?

TVGuide.com: I especially liked that the story line with Brennan's family from the season finale was continued.

Boreanaz: Yeah, that's going to be a running thing throughout the whole year. Then I think we'll get into our personal lives even more so. We're not a huge-arc show

Bones

by Angel Cohn

August 30, 2006: Why Does the Whole Lab Smell Like a Luau?

I love that Bones can translate "accidentally on purpose" from Latin. It is those kinds of bizarre things, in addition to her savvy forensic sleuthing, that really serve to remind us just how book smart she is. And this whole fantastic episode reminded me of just how much I missed her. I really did. I am honestly not a huge fan of procedural dramas, but this one has such great characters that I can't help but love it. They've even added some more ongoing story lines (and more to come, according to David Boreanaz in my recent interview), which will keep me hooked. How could I not adore a show that has great writing and expands my vocabulary? I'm sure my copy editors will have a fit, but my new favorite word is "wanktard." "It is a made-up word, it has no meaning," according to Hodgins, who was trying to backtrack after using the term to describe his new boss.

Speaking of the new head honcho, Bones didn't get the management job at the Jeffersonian, though she's really the only one who seems surprised. "'Task-oriented' is a euphemism for lacking overall perspective," she said when Angela explained why she's now reporting to Cam, who is played by the sassy Tamara Taylor. She apparently had a past with Booth (which David Boreanaz confirmed to me), which could make that whole working-together thing uncomfortable. Cam came from New York to add some structure to the squints' workflow. She scared Zack, Hodgins and Angela by threatening their jobs, but she didn't understand why Tempe didn't seem scared. Booth explained, "Bones doesn't intimidate. You see the way she stares at human remains before she makes a decision? You are human remains, and she hasn't made a decision yet." Then he added, just for fun, "I like the whole intimidation thing. I think it's cute." Cam did earn a bit of credit with Bones when she defended the squint team to that bossy federal prosecutor. If the prosecutor looked familiar that's because she's Christine Estabrook, Desperate Housewives' Mrs. Huber, who was offed with a blender.

The case itself was fairly interesting

Bones

by Angel Cohn

September 6, 2006: Oh, Love... Now It's a Beautiful Story

Another fun episode, and I've got to give the writers credit for all the twists and turns. They had me guessing right up until they arrived at the playground to collect the sand-eating baby boy. Leave it to Bones to be baffled by the whole concept of child-rearing. "I understand killers, but I don't understand how mothers can do it." Can you just see Tempe with a baby? She tried to get Booth to explain the genetic differences between humans and monkeys to a 4-year-old for goodness' sake. I loved the horrified look on her face when Cam asked her if she was pregnant, and then when Cam cast a sideways glance at Booth.... Was she questioning whether the kid would be his? I thought I caught something there, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Onto the gruesome, ripped-from-the-Scott-Peterson-case murder: They find waterlogged remains and then tried to prove that the husband killed his pregnant wife. Again, really enjoyed the twists (though I forgot my own rule about not having dinner while watching this show, and some of the stuff made me a little queasy), but they sort of let one fact slide. Kyle, the cheating husband, did kill the dog, Kenny. If he was innocent, was he really just a bastard who ran over his wife's beloved pooch accidentally on purpose? It might not have been his fault; however, that's the kind of thing someone might have wanted to check on before handing an infant over to his care.

Then there is Booth, who melted my heart with his devotion to his young son. So sweet. I was most fond of the way he stood up to his ex and even made nice with Rebecca's new boyfriend, Drew, in order to appease his kid. Cute. Booth is really shaping up to be the strong-yet-sensitive type, and I'm really down with that. I think it's hysterical that they've kept up the whole ongoing personality trait of him being squeamish about the gory remains and other potentially icky things. "In the future, you've just got to ask me differently because 'come over to your place and stab the body... ' that's just freaky." Which, in this case, was kind of true. Bones' experiment to replicate the murder in order to measure something technical showed a lot about the characters. Bones and Cam really got into it while Angela was skeeved out, and Zach unenthusiastically hit the dummy.

Here are my other favorite quotes of the night:

Bones about Cam: "Does she think I'm new at this?"

Booth's advice to Bones: "Thumb through a People once and a while."

Angela on her desires: "I'd like George Clooney naked on a white-sand beach."

Bones not understanding Cam's lingo: "Rocks and sediment are Hodgins' specialty."

Booth to Hodgins: "You really don't have to act any geekier, the whole outfit does it for you."

Oh, my one real question of the night: Did they replace the Chinese restaurant with the diner? Does anyone but me really care if they did?

Posted by Angel Cohn 09/6/2006 10:13 PM

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Bones

by Angel Cohn

September 13, 2006: I'm with Bones... All the Way

"What if I fired her?" Cam not so innocently asked Booth. Love that Booth immediately came to Brennan's defense and explained that if she went, he went, too. Even Angela said, "I don't mean to be really dramatic or anything, but if you lose Brennan, you lose us all." Well, considering the name of the show, it wasn't really a shocker that Cam came around and gave Bones some get-out-of-jail-free cards to keep from constantly being at each others' throats. I'm still trying to figure out Cam and if she works

• 2 weeks later...

Bones

by Angel Cohn

September 20, 2006: Some Pig

Booth wanted to get Brennan a pet? I think my heart just melted a little bit. Sure, she's got a way with animals that Booth clearly is lacking -- "Nice doggie... good pooch" -- but can you imagine her with a pet? She'd probably forget to feed it. Her instant response to Booth's question made me smile, though. "If you had a pig what would you name him?" "Jasper." Still, it is probably for the best that he got her a small toy hog instead.

But enough mushy porcine talk, spooky serial killer Epps is back and freaky as ever, killing blonde gals here and there from inside prison with the help of an accomplice. I immediately blamed the wife; guess I've got to give the writers they threw in this week. David Boreanaz told me icky Epps would be back throughout the season. I've got goose bumps thinking about it.

So I'll think about something pleasant instead, like how cute Angela and Hodgie were together. Hodgie. Angela was really the hero of this episode. Talking to the father who lost his wife and daughter, holding the hand of the woman who married a serial killer, and talking Hodgins down off the ledge in order to find a kidnapped girl before she was killed. Go, Ange!

Of course, what would a Bones episode be without some great one-liners. Here are my faves:

- "He touched me with his creepy serial-killer hands."

- "Why were you nice to her?"

- "I have to go talk to a nun."

- "Unlike you and Bones, Angela is, uh, better with the living than she is the dead."

- "I hate the serial-killer wall of death."

- "I'm not sure you grasp the basic concept of how to get drunk."

A couple of other little things: Cam didn't bug me since she was in driven-work mode and not butting heads with Brennan. Maybe she is growing on me. And I like the way Bones said "ammonia," but not as much as Booth's attempted pronunciation of spelunking, "splunking." Have I mentioned lately how much I love this show?

Posted by Angel Cohn 09/20/06 11:29 PM

September 27, 2006: A Big Lye

I think Matt Roush said it best the other day when he wrote that Seeley Booth was a slut. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I've got no problems looking at Booth half-naked. And it wasn't like either of the two women he bedded were strangers he picked up for one-night stands. Booth seemed emotionally involved on some level with both of them

Bones

by Angel Cohn

October 4, 2006: "I Should Leave You Alone More Often"

"Bugs, slime, particulates... what's your poison?"

I've got a better question: How did Hodgins suddenly become my favorite character? From sniffing Angela's hair to getting a chance to indulge his crazy paranoia, he was a wonderful treat tonight. Loved that he was the first to discover that Cam and Booth slept together, but he didn't go blabbing, he just hinted to Angela that he knew something. I also thought it was somewhat adorable that he saw Cam and Booth's affair as an opportunity for him and Angela, even though they are coworkers. Still not sure if he convinced Angela, but she seems to enjoy his quirks, "You are a man of odd enthusiasms." And if he doesn't land Angela, at least he got another life highlight: "Hodgins being abducted by men in black? That's a dream come true."

Zach

• 4 weeks later...

Bones

by Angel Cohn

November 1, 2006: Give the FBI Your Shoes

The writers are doing an excellent job with the mysteries on this show. I've been stumped a lot lately, right up to the very end. Tonight they had me completely bamboozled, since in my mind I had already assigned guilt to a couple of the guest stars based on their previous roles. Yes, I know they are actors, but Kyle Gallner (who played the sullen "emo" son) will always be Beaver in my mind the way that I still call Neil Patrick Harris "Doogie" after all these years. And Kali Rocha, who played the stage mom, will always be Halfrek, especially when she's guesting on a show with David Boreanaz.

Anyway, neither of those two were guilty. It was the little girl who plays a young J. Love on Ghost Whisperer, and it was an accident. She basically killed the mean girl of the pageant-girl circuit. Good god, what that girl went through: veneers, false teeth, a corset and a cocktail of diet pills and acne medication. Sheesh. I can totally understand why the father wanted nothing more than to have his little girl back. Brennan

Bones

by Angel Cohn

November 8, 2006: The First Rule of Fight Club

This might have been my favorite episode ever. It was Viva Las Vegas, Bones-style! First off, it was in Las Vegas, which gave Brennan a chance to break out some sexy duds, a phony accent and test her card-counting skills. Second, Booth, all muscle-bound and doing very nice things to a wife-beater (not an actual husband who beats his wife, which was nearly at the crux of the case, but the other kind, the thing that guys wear to show off their rockin' arms). Third, Zach punched Hodgins! That was something I never, ever expected to see on this show. It was awesome. Really awesome.

I could go on with the good things, but instead, can I just say how happy I was to see that little annoyed look on Cam's face when she overheard the lovely Seely Booth utter the word "hot" in reference to Brennan? Someone's a little bit jealous, and that is fun to see. Nice when she's not getting exactly what she wants.

As for the case, I wasn't even trying to solve this one. And frankly, I didn't really care whodunit because getting there was so much fun. And we got to see Booth sporting a Guys and Dolls T-shirt. Random, but funny. And then his suited-up retro look had a bit of a Guys and Dolls flare to it, but really, did he think he was fooling anyone with that garb and that look? The whole underground-gambling boxing ring was filled with people dressed pretty much in ordinary street clothes. Booth really stood out instead of blending in, but it didn't really matter because I was still cheering when he took down that giant guy with some forensic help from Brennan.

Did I mention that Zach punched Hodgins? How cool was that? And then he just casually slipped in the fact that his dissertation would be done by the end of the month. Something I knew because I talked to the amazing Kathy Reichs, the mastermind behind the original series of Bones books and the creator of the much-adored social misfit Temperance Brennan. She's going to be on an upcoming episode in early December as a forensic anthropologist on the panel judging Zach's thesis. (Click here for more of what she had to say.)

Basically, I just love this show. It's fun, entertaining and filled with some great quotes:

• 3 weeks later...

Bones

by Angel Cohn

November 29, 2006: The Bones Witch Project

At first I rolled my eyes at the idea of a Blair Witch-like case, complete with the local spooky legend and the videotaped screaming, since that phenomenon seems so over and overdone. But then, of course, the show did it up Bones-style, and I couldn't help but give in and enjoy it.

Plus, the whole scary theme gave Angela and Hodgins a chance to get up close and personal. They were so cute, I almost couldn't stand it. How great was that look on Hodgins' face when Angela asked if she could stay at his place? They are so one of my favorite couples right now.

Which is good, since Brennan is totally unlucky in love, and Booth is doing whatever with Cam. I thought the scene where Cam grabbed for Booth's hand and he moved it away was very telling. It is pretty clear that he views their relationship as something out of the office and secret, while she seems to be looking for something a little bit more. He says he's being gentlemanly and discreet, but I think he doesn't want anything serious. And Brennan, oh poor Tempe, she's just got no skills when it comes to picking guys. She really has some winners, which is too bad, since watching her on a date is so hysterically wonderful. "Do you like Massive Attack? Very impressive integration of radical politics into their music." She just leaves guys dumbfounded in her wake. Too bad her dinner date turned out to be a brother killer. That tear running down her face when Booth came to arrest Will was fairly heartbreaking.

However, having that awful experience did reconfirm that her upbringing wasn't the worst way to go. Her own brother could have taken responsibility for her and caused her to have a terrible life, or worse. Someday, the timing will be right between her and Booth; but until then, couldn't she at least have a nice nerdy guy to date? Like, maybe Zack has an older brother who is like him and available for her to be socially awkward with....

Anyway, back to the case. I actually found myself getting chills when they showed the ghostly image at the end of the episode and when hearing Cam's story about her mother. It doesn't take much to make me believe that it is a possibility; but then again, I don't have an analytical mind like Brennan. I would have totally bought the Maggie Cinders story and not been able to go into the woods without looking over my shoulder every five seconds. There are times I'm afraid to go in my own basement at night because of all the movies I've seen. But I guess that is why we love the logical Brennan

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "Soccer Mom in the Mini-Van"

Tonight's episode put me back in that happy Bones place that made me love the show in the first place. Somewhere between solving a murder and using big science-y words like "capillary electrophoresis," is the show's big heart, and I have to say tonight I sighed more than once.

Soccer mom Amy Nash was killed when her car exploded at a soccer field. I can't say how much this scene got me

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "Death in the Saddle"

What can I say about last night's pony-play fetish episode? Giddyup. I didn't really expect to see leather and riding crops all over a show on network TV, but Bones has that way of surprising me and tackling oft-taboo topics in an educational way. Kudos to the show

• 2 weeks later...

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "The Secret in the Soil"

I really thought tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "Mummy in the Maze"

Ahh, nothing like an episode about human fears to celebrate Halloween. I've always admired that when this show hits a nerve in its most important characters, it often hits one in us viewers, too.

As the victims' causes of death were discovered in last night's episode, I just kept thinking about their deaths and how much it would suck to be buried alive or stuck in a box full of hungry tarantulas. Thanks, Bones! A happy Halloween to you, too (grumble)! At least I'm not afraid of clowns.

This week B&B investigate a killer who's left two mummified corpses in Halloween hot zones: a pumpkin-patch maze and a funhouse. Not a very covert way of disposing of bodies if you ask me, but I guess there's no rule that serial killers can't have a flair for the dramatic. My favorite part of the opening maze scene was where I noticed actor Rider Strong (playing funhouse employee Gregg) hanging out in a grim-reaper costume. I didn't really believe my eyes until I saw him later at the funhouse. But it was great seeing one of my favorite characters from an old fave, Boy Meets World, on one of my current favorite shows. Grounded for Life's Lynsey Bartilson also popped up later as second victim Judith Evans' big sister. This show gets some killer guest stars! Which reminds me that I'm dying to know who's going to play Angela's husband. Any new guesses?

Speaking of Angela, the hunt for her old ball & chain continues via a new female private investigator (a colleague of their original PI's), but tonight we get some real results. Mr. "smells exactly like a fresh wind just after a summer storm" (PI lady's words) was found in the Florida Keys, pining away for Ms. Montenegro (as we found out, not her real name!?!) and showing his true love by building a cottage for her on the beach and, oh yeah, not granting her a divorce. The PI also went and outed Angela's pan-amorous past by revealing that Angela changed her birth name at 18 when her current name came to her in a dream. Her source for finding out Angela's name change being "a girl named Roxy whose heart you broke in second year art school." Oh yes. But they still never said what her real name is. I have a feeling it's going to pop up eventually.

As the search for the killer went on, B&B interrogated Gregg and found out that he and his girlfriend Lola had been in contact with at least one of the mummified victims on the night of her death. In interrogation, B&B went and gave him a few good 'ole smacks to the face, Bones' own dead-on blow appearing to really please her. I like seeing Bones so giddy about kicking butt (later she whips out her famous gigantic gun), but I'd rather see her bouts of violence be well timed and proactive for the cause at hand, especially when (in an excited moment later) one of her bullets mistakenly grazes Booth's leg, hurting him. At least for not-killing-Booth's-sake.

B&B go on to find the missing third girl (whom they found out was still alive) in the lair of the murderer with the help of Zack and Hodge's mad process-of-elimination skills. Meanwhile, the rest of the squints hang at the Jeffersonian's costume-mandatory Halloween Ball. (Cam went as Catwoman; Zack as the rear end of a cow; Hodge as the downtrodden captain of the Titanic; Angela as Cher). And, of course, Brennan (Wonder Woman) and Booth (a squint!) show up at the crime scene in full regalia. I wouldn't want to be saved by anyone else, really.

The killer ends up being an EMT we met earlier in the episode who used injected stimulants to overamplify his victims' physical reactions to the scary circumstances he put them in (confronting their greatest fears via tarantula and live burial), thereby killing them. By the time it's all over, Booth has been grazed by two separate bullets, has killed a man and barely got out of the situation alive.

And the glances the two of them share at the end after rationalizing how their crime-fighting evening was "not a date"? Those are what make my heartbeat race for this show. That, and seeing Bones do the Wonder Woman twirl.

My favorite conversation of the episode, regarding Angela's incredibly good-looking mystery husband (The PI to Angela):

"I tried to seduce him, you know"

"Hodgins?"

"Eew, no."

Happy Halloween!

Posted by Sandra Kofler 10/31/07 8:17 AM

Episode Recap: "Intern in the Incinerator"

Gorgonzola. Gormaguy. Goobagon. That Widow's Son serial killer sure racked up a lot of nicknames in tonight's episode. I was really looking forward to finding out more clues about the mystery cannibal, and it was rather a letdown to find out the Silver Skeleton perp didn't end up having anything to do with tonight's case. Perhaps, like the squints, I just really wanted it to be Gormogon (as explained tonight, G-gon refers to a group in the 18th century dedicated to eradicating the Freemasons and the Illuminati) and not the smarty-pants Jeffersonian doc we should otherwise have been able to trust.

After maintenance workers found the charred remains of a girl in the Jeffersonian's furnace room, the team set out to figure out who the victim was and how she died. I loved the scene where Angela looked at the skull and already saw the shape of the girl's face forming in her mind before any forensic devices were applied. You have all been dead-on in your commentaries by mentioning that we've learned a lot more about Angela this season than ever before. I love hearing her backstories as well, and also finally knowing that this is really a girl with some depth. It's also apparent that she's practically the only one in the whole gaggle with a social life. Her business with the victim, Kristen Reardon? Oh, they lunched. With Reardon's lover, the Jeffersonian's Dr. Aldrige? They had drinks. Angela, we knew you rocked, and by the end of the season, I bet we'll have even more evidence of it.

On Cam. I'm usually not a Cam-disser, but tonight her shenanigans really blew my mind. A confident leader-type like her asking Booth to pretend like he's still her boyfriend "just between 6:30 and 10:00" in order to make her dad happy? Get with the program, girl

• 3 weeks later...

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "The Boy in the Time Capsule"

It's true, everyone seems to have belonged to a specific group during high school. Some people spent all their time studying like Bones, some embraced grunge like Hodgins, and some had dashing looks, could throw a perfect spiral, and always had a pretty lady on their arm like Booth (or That Guy as we get to know him). I love episodes in which we find out a little bit more about the history of our characters, the way they were before this chunk of life we're witnessing them go through now. And realizing that Bones didn't know who The Cure were in the 1980s makes me wish she'd put those books down a few more times, though it made for one of the most humorous lines of the night: "The cure? Was he sick?"

A 1987 time-capsule unveiling intended to unearth only Rubik's Cubes and acid-washed jeans yielded those exact things... floating with the remains of a decomposed body instead. Good job, Bones producers, at subsequently grossing us out more week after week. The body belonged to a fellow classmate,

Bones

by Sandra Kofler

Episode Recap: "The Santa in the Slush"

Episode Recap: "The Santa in the Slush"

Well, that kiss was certainly a nice holiday gift for us all, wasn't it? The way Bones gripped Booth's collar, how the two of them blushed, her gum ending up in his mouth

• 2 months later...