So You Think You Can Dance?

salter-path

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" TALENT SEARCH BEGINS

Released by FOX

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" TALENT SEARCH BEGINS

CASTING CALLS FOR THE NATION'S HOTTEST DANCE FLOOR DIVAS BEGIN MAY 12 IN CHICAGO, FOLLOWED BY NEW YORK AND LOS ANGELES

This summer, FOX teams up with the creators of AMERICAN IDOL and the producers of the "American Music Awards" and "American Bandstand" on the ultimate search for the nation's best dancer in SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. If you think the AMERICAN IDOL competition is tough, you haven't seen anything yet! Some contestants will collapse under the pressure, others will reveal their two left feet and one will dance his or her way into America's heart.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE is traveling the country, beginning May 12, on the hunt for the next Usher, Justin Timberlake, Debbie Allen, Gregory Hines, Savion Glover or Janet Jackson. The best undiscovered dancing talent the U.S. has to offer will be pitted against each other in a grueling 12-week competition to become America's No. 1 dancer.

Sure to spark a dance fever the way AMERICAN IDOL has created a competitive singing phenomenon, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE will hold casting calls in Chicago on Thursday, May 12 (The Chicago Theatre); New York on Thursday, May 19 (Manhattan Center Studios); and Los Angeles on Friday, June 3 (The Orpheum Theatre). Casting is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are eligible to work in the U.S.; participants must be between the ages of 18 and 30.

CHICAGO

Thursday, May 12

The Chicago Theatre

175 N. State Street

Chicago, IL 60601

Time

• 1 month later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

NEW GIG FOR PAULA?:. And as far as I'm aware, Paula and Randy are as well," he tells us. "I have no problem with bringing the three judges back for next season." But bringing back scary Scott Savol in any way, shape or form? Noooo flippin' way, dude.

• 3 weeks later...

Variety

Abdul Flashes 'Dance' Card

by Josef Adalian

paula_abdul_BryanBedder.jpg

Paula Abdul

Turns out that "Primetime Live" expose on Paula Abdul hasn't hurt her career after all. The "American Idol" judge has signed on to be a regular contributor to "So You Think You Can Dance," the latest reality show from 'Idol' producers 19 Entertainment. The new series dances onto the TV screen with a two-hour premiere on Wednesday, July 20 at 8 p.m. on Fox.

The ex-hoofer will be a roving correspondent, traveling the country to show large groups of average folks how to shake their moneymakers. Abdul's first appearance will come in a few weeks, when the show switches from tryouts to performance episodes.

Media speculation in the immediate wake of the May 'Primetime' report was that the producers might seek to distance themselves from Abdul. While it's still too soon to say if Abdul will return to 'Idol' -- producers are still investigating the matter -- her casting on 'Dance' indicates producers still view her as an asset.

Abdul's dance resume includes choreographing the Oscars and Video Music Award-winning clips for Janet Jackson, along with collaborations with Aretha Franklin, INXS and Prince. More recently, the former Laker Girl helped choreograph scenes in "American Beauty" and "Jerry Maguire."

'Dance' is a co-production between 19 Entertainment and Dick Clark Productions.

Guest ranster627

ABDUL HAS A ROVING EYE: It's official: Paula Abdul's whatever with Corey Clark has lost her no favor with Fox. Rather, the American Idol Pollyanna has been signed as a "roving correspondent" for the net's new So You Think You Can Dance contest, and will travel the country as a sort of dance teacher to America, showing us ordinary folks how to "shake our groove thang" (I believe that's how the kids put it these days). Thanks much, but I already do a fine electric slide.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

So You Think You Can Dance

I love shows with fancy footwork, but I guess it shouldn't surprise me that a show with a title this cumbersome had such a long, drawn-out premiere episode. This intro ep was almost identical to the annoying American Idol audition process that I only suffer through to get a sneak peek and to pick my early favorites. But instead of damaging my hearing, my head is spinning from the dizzying clip packages of people shaking it all about. After the fun charm of Dancing with the Stars, I was hoping for something a little more in that vein and a little less of an Idol clone. But the only thing that this show has in common with Stars is that Carrie Anne Inaba has appeared on both. Plus, I don't think it helped that it was two whole hours of auditions and there are more next week. I liked what Rock Star: INXS did when they just jump-started viewers in after the whole process of seeing untalented people off the street had ended. I just don't know if I have the patience to suffer through another round of auditions. Especially since Nigel Lythgoe

Variety Review

'So You Think You Can Dance'

by Laura Fries

e070712a.jpg

'So You Think You Can Dance'

Series -- Fox, Wednesday July 20, 8 p.m. -- Filmed in Los Angeles by 19 TV and Dick Clark Prods. Executive producers, Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe, Allen Shapiro; senior producer, Jeff Thacker; producers, Nicola Gaha, Bonnie Lythgoe; director, Nigel Lythgoe. Host: Lauren Sanchez.

Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" brings its "American Idol" competition format to the world of dance. Obviously hoping to follow in the footsteps of ABC's summer hit "Dancing With the Stars," the creators of "American Idol" have applied their proven musical star-making formula to a dance competition for Fox, and it seems a sure thing ratings-wise. Like 'Idol', the new show, "So You Think You Can Dance" doesn't pretend to be about finding the best -- the show's judges readily admit to searching for "a type."

Even the title is more like a dare than a quest -- and since most folks can't simultaneously chew gum and walk, Fox is clearly hoping viewers will relish this type of mean-spirited fun. The premiere segment was devoted to the good and the bad, lured from cities around the country to New York and Chicago to try out for the show. Next week, it goes to L.A., where it will winnow the group to eight men and women in search of one special hoofer.

In the meantime, director-producer-choreographer Nigel Lythgoe does his best Simon Cowell imitation, making pithy comments that seem far more rehearsed than most of the dance steps. As one dancer finishes, he quips, "You spin very well, but so does my wife's tumble dryer." Not exactly the meow-type slam viewers have come to expect from this kind of show. But he gets meaner as things progress.

Lythgoe's preferences are fairly obvious. Blondes seem to be a big hit, and Cheryl Texiera, a doppelganger for Britney Spears, already appears to be a favorite. Kamilah Barret, who speaks almost exclusively in sexual innuendo, also seems to have caught Lythgoe's attention.

Anthony Bryant, a classically trained dancer from Juilliard, just attracted his ire. Lythgoe complained that Bryant's performance, however flawless, wasn't masculine enough. Grant seemed truly surprised, telling the camera, "No one's ever told me that I look feminine even when I dance with a ribbon."

Fellow judge Jeff Thacker, who had the bad taste to ask one dancer if her "assets" were real, usually offers up one-word summations such as "engaging," while Lythgoe's wife and colleague, Bonnie, is the kindest, offering constructive criticism.

As always, there's no shortage of delusional folks, or of William Hung types, savvy to the idea that if they don't have talent, they can garner a few minutes of fame by just being awful. Otherwise, the show is designed to quickly weed out the one-trick ponies, forcing the astounding number of break dancers and belly dancers out in the first round. Once terps make the initial cut, they are put through the paces learning choreographed routines featuring a myriad of steps.

As a director, Nigel Lythgoe works the judge's reaction shots, often forgetting wallflowers enjoy watching the dancers, not other wallflowers. Lauren Sanchez is superfluous at best as host, not adding much to the production other than embarrassing moments, such as when she mistakes a dancer's fiance for her father.

From a technical standpoint, the show follows the 'Idol' formula to a fault, although the signature song lacks the immediate brand recognition of its musical counterpart. The show's graphics, with its big clunky letters, also are a poor choice.

Guest ranster627

DANCING WITHOUT THE STARS: Even without J. Peterman's mugging, Fox's So You Think You Can Dance, ahem, tapped into the hearts of viewers last Wednesday. Ten million viewers tuned in for the two-hour premiere, giving it a 4.4 rating, a 14 share in the adults 18-49 demographic and a 100 share in the elusive Shabba-Doo demo.

Guest ranster627

Another so-so way too long episode. I promised myself I wouldn't complain too much about the drawn out and painful audition process and would withhold judgment until it got into the actual "Hollywood" portion of the show, but honestly, did it really need to be an hour and a half? I think not. But there were some interesting characters in L.A., like Andre the roller-skating dude, Big Poppa and that cute Timo guy. I'm not the only one who found Timo attractive

• 2 weeks later...

Associated Press

Abdul Finds 'Dance' Card Full

sq-abdul-idol-pressimage-05.jpg

Paula Abdul

Scheduling conflicts will keep Paula Abdul from appearing in the new Fox TV talent contest "So You Think You Can Dance," her publicist said. Abdul will be too busy promoting an "American Idol" DVD and working on the show's new season, publicist Ken Sunshine said in a statement on August 5.

Abdul had planned to appear as a guest choreographer in several episodes of "So You Think You Can Dance." Her publicist added, "We had not anticipated the time commitment required to successfully produce and appear" in the show, Sunshine said. "It became apparent that her prior commitments . . . made it impossible to be part of this new show."

Fox Broadcasting and the show's producers issued a statement saying they "respect Paula's decision to step away." The statement read, "We wish her all the best and look forward to working with her soon." The series roughly follows the pattern of "American Idol," with dance contestants competing against each other for $100,000 and an apartment in New York for a year. Viewers will pick the winner.

Fox and the producers of "American Idol" recently announced they have hired an independent counsel to investigate a claim that Abdul had an affair with an "American Idol" contestant during the show's second season. Abdul has denied former contestant Corey Clark's allegation.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

I still don't think I have Dance fever. This episode at least spent some time getting to know the remaining contestants, but there was less than five minutes of new footage of people actually strutting their stuff. The sob stories

Guest ranster627

If Lauren Sanchez says "dancing into America's hearts" one more time, may what's left of that nose dance right off her face! Anyway, so long, Sandra and Jonnis, two of the cutest dancers in the bunch, who nonetheless couldn't really stretch beyond their own styles. And OK, I apologize for dismissing the term "lyrical" last week

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

Just in case most of you skipped the first half hour of results (and I recommend you keep skipping it), I watched it for you, and here's what you missed: The El Camino Fire Academy dancing and swinging their hoses to "Hot Hot Hot" for American Express. Not nearly as good as last week's Ford mechanics, but they get points for pyrotechnics. Oh, and we said goodbye to Craig and Michelle.

Thankfully, this week the producers wised up and threw in some fun genres and I think made sure no two couples did the same dance. First, flawless Blake and Ashl

Guest ranster627

Thank the lord of the dance that they decided to condense the sentimental farewell to Allan and Snow into 15 minutes. Especially tonight, when I really just wanted to be watching the footwork over at Arthur Ashe stadium. But some of these couples made me totally forget I was missing the U.S. Open. Big Poppa's parting words put these competitions back into perspective: "There's so much tragedy in the world, at least I have a home to go back to." So let's get on with it:

Melissa and Artem: Artem's chest almost distracted from the fact that little Melissa did most of the work and rocked that pop routine. Then they both finally showed us what the quickstep is supposed to look like, and the Enrique Iglesias look-alike made us think he was Fred Astaire.

Kamilah and Nick: Sex bomb Kamilah was made for the tango. Nick was downright athletic in the pop dance. He'd totally beat Blake in a dance-off. (Um, why did Mia's puppy suddenly make a guest appearance?)

Melody and Ryan: Couldn't agree with Mia more: enough of Melody and that silly leg move where she shows us her crotch; she can do better! Ryan, meanwhile, showed that he's got no training beyond his (incredible) break moves, and he knows his minutes on the stage are numbered.

Jamile and Destini: Jamile's fourth time doing ballroom and second doing the impossible quickstep! The cards were stacked against them, even though that poppin'-and-lockin' second dance would have landed them a job on a video tomorrow. (And maybe it did?) After her solo, Destini's raw anger was kind of scary.

Ashle and Blake: I have a question for any ballroom experts out there: How was that samba? I didn't see a single shake of the hip. I'd like to see that lyrical dance again to something that doesn't include the words "Richard" and "Marx." But whatever, the judges are right, these are the dancers to beat.

Guest ranster627

Fox's website posted photos of the final eight days ago, so it seems like they've dropped all pretense of suspense. Bye-bye, Destini and Ryan. So we finally got the episode down to an hour, and now I kind of miss the studio montages where the guys drop the girls while learning their routines and everyone bursts out laughing. Plus, by the time the judges had their say

Guest ranster627

This was the last night of competition before what Lauren Sanchez calls the "funale," but Mary Murphy was already celebrating, wearing a flock of crows on her neck and drinking some Paula Abdul juice at the judges' table. Meanwhile Mia's going "on a journey" with everyone, Nigel's talking about Bush taking crumping lessons and Dan's purple-on-purple ensemble seems to have made him looove everyone. So, um, how are the dancers doing?

Kamilah and Jamile: I'm not sure Brian's frenzied hip-hop choreography did them any favors; all I could see was a lot of hair, flailing legs and Kamilah struggling to take off her jacket. The jive was cute, but I could tell Jamile's heart wasn't in it. Kamilah's "Maniac" solo was her first performance to really wow me. Too bad Jamile continued on that '80s theme by doing the robot.

Ashle and Blake: These two are kind of too perfect. I think the smooth waltz is just a really boring dance, so that wasn't their fault. They both have amazing bodies for dance and did all the right moves for the tango. I just can't imagine them ever being able to fake "passion" for each other. Compared to Kamilah's fire, Ashle's solo was pretty bland. Blake had a lot of pretty tricks in his.

Melody and Nick: For the first time in this competition, Melody was my favorite of the girls. Broadway dancing is the ideal style for both of these smiley jazz kids. And it was fun to see Nick act all macho while he flipped little Melody over his shoulders during disco. Her solo totally lacked all the spark she brought to the other performances. Nick's, however, almost matched Blake's flashiness and it was twice as evocative as everyone else's solos tonight. This will be a tough decision, America.

Guest ranster627

There's another episode next week? Really, guys? 'Cause, um, the summer TV season was over a few weeks ago, and you're not up against reruns anymore. I guess another hour of dance would be great, but you just know it's going to be 10 minutes of dance to 50 minutes of Lauren Sanchez drawing out the suspense before they reveal the winner. I don't know how it's going to be more surprising than tonight's big upset: judges' favorite Blake getting the boot before Jamile and Nick. I'm thrilled, though. Nick has all of Blake's skill with none of his cockiness, and he's got so much ahead of him. He even kind of showed up Jamile in their hip-hop duet tonight. Nick and Melody's paso doble was really a whole lot of poses, but that was enough to make Mia curse on national TV. Jamile and Ashle's salsa was too mild. Both same-sex duets had more energy than anything else all night, especially Ashle and Melody's athletic performance to "Message in a Bottle" complete with wet hair, lifevest costumes and a run-and-slide-on-the-boat-deck move. "Cold Hearted" was oh so meta, but Jamile showed some passion for once and actually had chemistry with sparkplug Melody. During the judges' praise session, Nigel leaned over and sniffed Mary's glass (after holding his ears during her other screaming raves), leaving Mia in hysterics. Nick outstyled Jamile again with his and Ashle's hip-hop routine, which began with shoe throwing and ended with a fake sneeze. The girls are really talented and Jamile's got his niche, but I think Little Nicky won my heart tonight.

I feel robbed from being able to watch Blake and Nick dance off in the finale. Even though he is VERY talented, I just don't think Jamile is on the same par as the other two. What I didn't realize is there is only going to be one winner. I guess I missed that in the original rule set-up. I thought there was going to be one female winner and one male winner. I was going to pick Melody and Nick but now I have to choose between the two of them? Impossible!

Guest ranster627

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by tonight's show. Despite Lauren Sanchez doing her best Seacrest suspense lines, there were a lot of enjoyable performances. It was fun to see everyone back for a group piece by Shane Sparks, except the zoom-y camera work detracted a lot from the effect. Even Lauren's surprise salsa with Latin choreographer Alex da Silva was fun to watch; she was sexy and a good sport, so you could overlook the sloppy footwork. Rejectee Anthony Bryant's ribbon dance was pretty and graceful, though his skills wouldn't have translated at all to other genres. The wild energy and skill of hip-hop dance group the Groovaloos was exactly what tonight needed. It said, "This is Example A of what all these contestants can aspire to." And I was so happy and nostalgic when the final four dancers got to revisit their favorite performances with their original partners. Seeing Nick shine in the disco and jazz routines drove home the point that he was the obvious winner. The judges knew it, too, though Mia's "We're talking possible legend here" might have been exaggerating just a bit. But still, the kid's only 20. Who's not excited to see what he can do with a year in New York City and plenty of cash for classes? I hope we'll catch you on Broadway soon, sweetie!