Circus show?

Guest Lynn

Hi,

I remember watching a circus show as a kid (late, late seventies, or early-mid eighties). All I can remember about it was the word Circus spelled out in lightbulbs and a male & female hosts that wore matching red spandex outfits with top hats and they sang. Not much to go on, but hey, I was a kid. Just wondering if this rings a bell with anyone. I don't think it was "Circus of the Stars".

Can anyone solve this mystery?

Thanks!

Lynn

I seem to remember "Donny & Marie" (Osmond) being dressed up like that. Black top hats, red coats and tight white spandex pants, with black boots. And it fits the time frame too. (I was a kid back then as well.)

DM001.jpg

With the advent of the “Donny and Marie Show” in 1976, the Osmond Family gained further exposure. Noted for its production quality of material and music, the show attracted audiences of all ages and incorporated all the best the Osmonds had to offer. With the Osmond Brothers as

executive producers, the show was a true example of their abilities to project the unified quality of their own family relationship. That quality was taken into nationwide homes on a larger scale when “The Donny and Marie Show” transformed into “The Osmond Family Show” during a 1979 mid-season change.

This was after "The Osmonds" (4 or 5 brothers singing together?) got a little too old and lost their appeal, so the producers decided to bring in Marie and make Donny, the youngest brother, a duo with her.

(I can't believe I watched that TV movie a couple of years back! So embarassing! I swear, there was nothing else on TV that night!)

Yes, I thought it might have been Donny & Marie as well, but I haven't been able to find any mention of them doing a circus show. At least I know I'm not crazy now; someone else remembers this strange sight as well. :D

Well, I definitely remember the sight, yes, but I couldn't find any pictures of this online either In fact, I think it's possible that Donny & Marie were ending every show in those outfits when singing their closing song. (The same song every week.) Maybe not every show, but maybe for a season or two.

Glad I could help.

p.s. Just because I remember it too, does not meant that I can say with any authority that you are NOT crazy anyway. LOL

Hi,

I remember watching a circus show as a kid (late, late seventies, or early-mid eighties). All I can remember about it was the word Circus spelled out in lightbulbs and a male & female hosts that wore matching red spandex outfits with top hats and they sang. Not much to go on, but hey, I was a kid. Just wondering if this rings a bell with anyone. I don't think it was "Circus of the Stars".

Can anyone solve this mystery?

Thanks!

Lynn

I think it was circus of the stars.

• 2 years later...

My wife was asking me about this and I spent a while searching in google before stumbling across this thread. Does anyone have any ideas? She's pretty sure it wasn't circus of the stars and its really bugging her not knowing what the show was... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

I was convinced it was Donny and Marie, but not anymore.

I know I used to watch this show as a kid, and I think it came on right before (or right after) Donny and Marie.

And for that reason I think I confused the two shows, even back then as a kid, and thought the hosts of that other show WERE Donny and Marie.

The show MUST have been "Circus".

Here is a picture of the hosts, Cal Dodd and Sherisse Laurence.

16605circusgf5.jpg

Here is more info, courtesy of http://www.tvarchive.ca/database/16605/circus/details/

Ladies and gentlemen and children of all ages! This series offers the Big Top on the small screen, a weekly half hour of circus acts and musical entertainment. A couple of young, scrub-faced professional singers named Cal Dodd and Sherisse Laurence do the singing and crack the ringmaster's whip, but the main drawing-card is the age-old lure of the circus itself... painted clowns, fire-eaters, daring aerialists, trained horses, balancing acts, performing dogs of all sizes, bareback riders, majestic trained elephants, cages roaring with wild animals, a blaring, brassy band and circus queens in dazzling tights. The series was based on a top-rated CTV special. It was expanded to an hour for the 1979-80 season.

Cast

Cal Dodd .... Co-host (1978-1983)

Sherisse Laurence .... Co-host (1978-1983)

Pierre Lalonde .... Host (1983-1985)

Roger Prystanski .... Rumpy the Clown (1983-1985)

Billy Van .... Regular (1979-80)

You can browse a partial episode guide here: http://www.tvarchive.ca/database/16605/circus/episode_guide/

And here's the (pretty much empty) IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0341720/

With a personal review someone wrote:

This was another of those cheap Glen-Warren shows done for the Canadian Television Network. This, as well as many others of the day, could easily rate as the least original, least entertaining shows in television history.

The concept? A three-ring circus set in the middle of the Agincourt, Ontario studios (which also housed CFTO-TV, CTV's flagship station) featuring some cheesy circus acts. Knowing CTV's budget, said acts were probably handsomely rewarded with something really worthwhile, like tickets to a taping of Headline Hunters, or free bread and water from the studio commissary.

The most memorable host (if there was ever such a thing) was Pierre Lalonde, a French-Canadian in name only. Any accent he possessed was "trained" out of his voice. The presence of Billy Van clearly showed that the poor man needed some serious dough. I think its safe to say he didn't do "Circus" for artistic reasons.

And I will add, from my imperfect childhood memories, the pitiful little amount I remember from the theme song.

(I couldn't find any photos, MP3's or lyrics from this show anywhere online.)

Hurry to the circus

C'mon, let's step inside

It's peanuts, popcorn, candy, pop

and hurry, hurry step inside

Come and join the circus

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name