Average Joe: The Joes Strike Back

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

(A Jane's View)

Anna, the 26-year-old "entrepreneur and model" about to be fed to a pack of desperate Joes, says she's been taking night classes for the past few years and hasn't watched much reality TV. If we were all so blissfully ignorant, maybe we too could be hopeless romantics like her. The doe-eyed redhead gets tears in her eyes at the sight of her bedroom! And honey, I don't know about your immigrant parents, but mine would not be "so proud of me" for resorting to dating 18-plus men on national TV.

So let's talk about the Joes, who kinda leave me longing for Beauty and the Geek's humble male subjects. These guys think they're God's gift. Let us review a few of their many assets: Aaron says he's often compared to Ben Affleck and JFK Jr.; Art's a karaoke champ; Igor's got a tattoo of his own name on his arm; Damian wonders why bragging about his Mensa status doesn't get him dates; Joshua's got that Jesus look down; Harold "Solid" Gold is unemployed thanks to this show; and don't get me started on creepy magician Nick. But I think I would actually enjoy the company of crazy, leotard-wearing Dante, tough-guy cat lover Chuck or cute, shy Josh. Not that I'd find any of them boyfriend material; I'm shallow like that. Don't know what criteria the three guys from Average Joe 2 were using to eliminate four candidates, but the fact that it involved not one but two dodgeball contests made me wary of the day when those jocks show up in matching red sports cars.

Through her whole ordeal, Anna remained sweet and hopeful. She hardly muttered a disparaging word as the Joes got off the bus. Even when it was just her, the producers and the "hidden" camera, she was optimistic. Is she for real? As for the weird coda about Nick's extreme makeover, am I the only one who couldn't tell the difference, except for his lack of maniacal eyebrows?

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

BATTING FOR AVERAGE:."

OK, let's hope it doesn't involve that magician guy and his rabbit.

Guest ranster627

I'm trying to figure out which Disney character Anna reminds me of.

There's definitely a lot of Little Mermaid in her

Guest ranster627

At first I don't know whether to be outraged or amused. Outraged on behalf of the poor Joes forced to relive their junior-high nightmares. And even angrier as a feminist at the implication that those stereotypical so-called hunks are what all women are secretly weak at the knees for. But then the editing goes over-the-top dramatic, the producers throw in a sloppy-Joe-eating contest (get it?) and a reenactment of the Top Gun volleyball game that made us all wonder about Tom Cruise, and all bets are off. This show is making fun of everyone involved and every time you dare take it seriously, the scenarios get more ridiculous. And Cro-Magnon nightclub owner Chris Carson has got to be in on the game. How else to explain why Anna has kept him around? I swear, if I ever saw him and his icky deodorant-marked shoulders swaggering toward me in a bar, I'd be outta there before you can say "How you doin'?" Bravo, Dante. You're a true hero for responding to his alpha-male act with a kiss. Love the new teeth, too.

How much is Anna loving her hostess duties, Britney Spears costumes included? It's got to be a power trip ordering around a bunch of guys in leotards and earmuffs. (Then again, I wonder how she feels about the Hunks not deeming her worth ruining their diets for in the eating contest.) Don't blame her for making out with Hunk No. 1, Rocky (who is making this stuff up?); he's pretty to look at, acted like a good sportsman in the ring and by going straight to the kissing she could shut him the hell up about being "a dreamer." Then comes Hunk No. 2, aka Josh No. 56, who's looking like a real threat: 1) He's a Vegas boy; 2) he showed vulnerability by getting pinned by little Jason; 3) he's a freakin' ballet dancer. I'm not sure how to read her reaction to the sober-for-eight-months tidbit

Guest Ms Alucard

This show is unbelievably cruel, but like a train wreck, and I couldn't help myself from watching it! What if the tables were turned and it was a man with the women trying to win his affection -plain Janes versus super models? I think that woman lib groups everywhere would be in an uproar!

Guest ranster627

Or should we say, the Joshes strike back? Heh. Almost as funny as Carson's "Average Jokes." I have a newfound respect for my friends who recently joined the Gotham Girls Roller Derby; that game is brutal! The Joes won the only way they could: by making Anna nurse their boo-boos. I wrongly guessed that Carson's 'roid-rage display would make Anna finally cross him off her list; someone must have whispered in her ear about making good TV. So she gave the bully a chance to show what else he has under that ugly surface, and guess what? Deep down, he's really fake and unoriginal. She still gave him tongue, though! Maybe Anna just likes kissing. Nothing wrong with that. Carson came home "a believer" in the Anna legend, and he convinced himself that the outcome is totally up to him. Nooooo, our Little Mermaid has actually been as in love with Josh Nachlas as we've been all along. She even rewarded him with a peek at her messy bedroom. That is real intimacy. You know Anna ate up his sappy talk about "the beautiful things." Then she proved herself ready for a career in telenovelas with her single tear over Nathan's letter.

Is it me, or was the flashback structure needlessly confusing? At first I double-checked the FauxVo to make sure I hadn't fast-forwarded through a scene between commercials. (Now I want to do some research to figure out who pulled the strings to co-opt the Alias theme and font.) Not too many surprises were revealed by her undercover work, except that it's interesting how far those hired models were willing to go to expose Brad and Craig (who the hell is Craig?). Too bad there was more Austin Powers than Sydney Bristow in her unmasking; it must have taken a good half hour to peel it off. Her final four for Tahiti

Guest ranster627

Wow, Anna's a little less predictable than I thought. I did guess that of the made-over Joes, she'd pick Nathan to come along to Tahiti. His letter last week was a smooth move, and not too schmaltzy except for that bit about her eyes. It took only two days for the team to give Nathan new teeth, a new wardrobe, a shave and a haircut, all of which boosted his confidence enough to make him worthy of some camera time. Honestly, I had to go online to watch his interview clip just to find out anything about his personality. It was pretty hard for me to pay any attention to the dates this week, 'cause I was so distracted by the amazing scenery of Tahiti. Judging by those awkward silences, Rocky must have felt the same way. When he did speak, even Anna noted that his words were straight out of a soap opera. She didn't care too much

Guest ranster627

Joe's producers have quite a sadistic streak. I had guessed that maybe they'd send Rocky's and Nathan's ex-girlfriends to talk to Anna, but sending her mother to talk to them? Cruel genius. And mom Halina described the result so eloquently: "There is some discomfort in this talking." Ole Rocky's pat "dreamer" answers (garr! Now the very word makes me want to stick pineapples in my ears!) don't work so well on Mama. Especially when she skipped the small talk and asks "Have you ever cheated?" No romantic waterfall can save you now, soap boy. (BTW, what the &!#@ does "With passion comes chance" mean?!?) Of course, mild-mannered Nathan aced this tricky task. Hard to imagine him in the Air Force. When it came to their final dates, however, I really thought Anna would pick the guy who made her heart pound than the one who pleased her mom. Then again, I get the feeling she's made that choice before and has been burned by one too many pretty boys. A qualified victory for the Joes! It's interesting that after all their tricks and twists, the producers let Anna say goodbye to Rocky without Nathan looking on. Rocky tried sooo hard to cry in front of her, but he just couldn't work up those acting skills until he was in the truck

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

JOE GETS A BLOW: On Thursday night's Average Joe: The Joes Strike Back finale, 26-year-old Sin city model Anna Chudoba chose... (spoiler alert) ... Nathan, one of the made over Joes. (Dude has got to ditch the mondo earrings, though.) This marks the first time in the franchise's run that the beauty has elected not to ride off into the sunset with an utterly vapid golden boy. Judging by the finale's epilogue, NBC considers its job

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Is Anna Still with Her Average Joe?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Reality-TV history was made last week when Average Joe's Anna Chudoba chose Nathan Griffen, a former Air Force missile technician

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xoxobabegurlxoxo
FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Is Anna Still with Her Average Joe?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Reality-TV history was made last week when Average Joe's Anna Chudoba chose Nathan Griffen, a former Air Force missile technician