2. both suck

3. both suck

worst

best song 3

1.melinda by far

2. jordin

3. blake

worst

predictions to go: jordin and blake send them both home. melinda with the single most dominate night in idol history was the best by far on all three songs

The final three went home and received a heroes welcome. Tonight, they fight for their place in the finale. This is American Idol!

We are all about threes tonight. Three idols, three songs each, three lines to call in your votes, and three judges. Each judge has picked a song for a contestant, the producers have picked a song for each contestant, and each Idol has picked their own song.

Without further ado, Simon announces her song choice, Wishing On A Star, through her hometown mayor. Sleek and elegant, Jordin is a little pitchy and the performance starts out lacking sparks. She picks it up half way through but it was not a breakout performance. Randy wanted to see who is bringing the heat and he loved her vocal. Paula said it was a good sign choice and a good way to start the show. Simon said she sang it brilliantly, but he didn't like the arrangement and it wasn't one of her better performances.

Next we hit up Blake's home town with his Mayor introducing Paula's song choice, Roxanne. Going counter-tempo, he sings ahead of the song but starts out pretty straight lyrically and vocally. But the sweater and untucked shirt tails just don't work. It had a touch the edge we have come to expect without the beat boxing. Randy said great performance, good vocal, a hot A. Paula said he did her proud, he looked comfortable, fresh. Simon said it wasn't earth shattering, good but not as good as Sting.

Melinda receives Randy's song choice from the Governor of Tennessee, I Believe In You And Me. Dead on vocals, great dress, she controlled the stage from the first note and never let it go. She climaxed and then brought the song to a soft and gentle close. Randy said he wanted to through some difficulty at her, and she blew it out. Paula said she was fantastic, amazing and one of her best performances. Simon it was a very difficult song to sing, her best performance this past month, and she wins Round One.

Next up, it is the producer's choice.

Jordin answers a viewer question: What is her favorite song of all time? Umbop by Hanson always puts a smile on her face. Her second song is Donna Summer's She Works Hard For The Money. Comfortable on stage, she almost undersings the versus but nails the chorus, up tempo and up energy. Randy says it doesn't matter what song, she works it out, it was hot too. Paula said she worked hard for the money tonight, she was fantastic. Simon said it was a very good performance, although the arrangement was a little old fashioned.

Blake takes a viewer question: If they made a move about your life, what would the title be and who would play you? Jim Carey and it would be called Organized Chaos. The producer's choice is This Love by Maroon 5. The dance moves are back as are the stylish vocals and the beat box in the chorus. The harmony with the background singers is a bit off (intentional?), but the performance is energetic and entertaining. Randy said what was cool is that when he makes a record, that is the kind he should make, a good vibe for him. Paula said he was totally in his element; it's a good night for him. Simon said he preferred that to the first song, comfortable not copycat; that was good.

Melinda takes her viewer question: Who was her idol growing up? Her mother, her best friend since a little girl. The producers picked Ike and Tina Turner's Nut Bush City Limits. Channeling Tina Turner, she turned in a gritty R&B performance with characteristic vocals. Randy said once again, a star performance. Paula said it looked like she had a blast, what else can she say? Simon loved that side of her, another brilliant performance.

Now we move on to the Idols favorite songs.

Jordin's final song is I Who Have Nothing, as we take a look at Jordin's star at the bottom of the escalator where she used to work (People can walk all over her now). Soft and sultry, she turned in a brilliantly emotional final semi-final performance. Randy calls it her best performance of the night, well controlled. Paula said it was a great song choice. Simon said she sang it very well but part of him still hates the idea of a 17 year old singing a 60 year old song.

Blake's visit home included Sir Fix A-Lot doing rap to his beat boxing. Singing When I Get You Alone Lyrics by Robin Thicke. The performance to a uber-modern version of a classic song showcased everything that is Blake, and he was in top form. Randy said he understood why he picked the song. Paula said it was three great performances. Simon liked it and he likes that he takes risks and looks like he is having fun.

Last to perform is Melinda, who chose I'm A Woman, has a street named after her in her home town. Dressed in suit vest and jacket, she gives off a theatrically and vocally entertaining performance. Perhaps the most telling is when her backup singers come on stage and she takes the lead performer role. Randy said it was hot again, and she is showing her range tonight. Paula said she is stepping out into the spotlight without looking back. Simon loved the little striptease (she took her jacket off), and she has consistently delivered week after week.

Fuskie

Who thinks Melinda sang the best, Blake had the best performance and Jordin had the most pure play, but it will all come down to who has the biggest and most dedicated fan base...

best 1st song

1. Melinda

2. Blake

3. Jordin

Best 2nd song

1. Blake by far

2. Melinda

3. jordin

best 3rd song

1. Blake

2. Jordin

3. Melinda in a close 2nd

Best over all

1. BLAKE

2. MELINDA

3. JORDIN

Person leaving- JORDIN.

king what show were you watching ???????????????////

scratches head

do you owe blake money thats why you root for him?

Song 1

Melinda

Blake

Jordin

Song 2

Blake

Jordin

Melinda

Song 3

Jordin

Blake

Melinda

Best song of the night... Jordin's 3rd song!!!

Prediction: Jordin

melinda rocked last nite! she sooooo deserves to be in the final 2. not sure out of the other two who should join her. they both have different strong attributes..........but if i were a betting woman (and i'm not so hot at the betting) then i'd say blake is leaving tonite

Song 1

Melinda

Blake

Jordin

Song 2

Melinda

Blake

Jordin

Song 3

Jordin

Melinda

Blake

I too think Jordin will be the one going home tonight. Melinda should win (her voice is amazing and has a classic sound to it), Blake will be a star no matter what (I love his voice, his vibe, he has an 80's feel to him), and while Jordin is incredible... there are other girls out there now just as talented.

Winner -Blake/Jordin

Loser - Melinda....has bored me to tears the entire season.

I know melinda has a decent voice, but you need personality to back it up. Melinda has ZERO personalityand ZERO stage pressance. GO Blake or Jordin !

1st song

Melinda

Jordan

Blake

2nd song

Blake

Melinda

Jordin

3rd song

Jordin

Blake

Melinda

who i would like to win....Melinda or Blake

who is probably going to win Jordin---you can tell Simon LOVES her because she is young and will appeal to the largest music buying audience....well kids her own age.

who deserves to win---Melinda --- the girl can sing and has a great personality i think. She has done a consistent job and has not waivered. She has played it safe on many occasion.

who has the most star quality--Blake by far . His stage persona is the best.

Homer Simpson introduces tonight's results show. Is it too late to vote for Fantasia? This is, oh, uh, American Idol!

It's the last night on the small stage as Ryan walks out to introduce the three remaining Idols and the three judges. Will Melinda and Jordin slug it out in the finals, will Blake take on one of the girls? Elliot Yamin is here tonight as is Maroon 5. All three contestants sang their hearts out last night. Who will stand on the stage at the Kodak Theatre? Only America knows. But first, a video recap of last night's performances.

Who is headed for glory and who is heading for home? We are heading for a break.

When we come back, we get a plug for the AI Summer Concert Tour featuring, among others, Sanjaya, Gina, Chris, Haley, LaKisha, Chris, Phil, and of course Jordin, Melinda and Blake.

Ryan sits down with the Idols and talks with Jordin about her trip home where she went to the mall. We take a look at Jordin's trip home where she finds she has a whole day named after her and a touching moment when she sees her best friend of 15 years (that would make them twosies) before her parade and downtown concert.

Ryan takes Jordin to center stage and reads through the judges comments. America voted and you will find out how you did a little later in the show.

Next Ryan sits down with Blake Lewis and his day with Sir Mix-A-Lot. We take a look at Blake's trip to Seattle where every second is something new. He gets to go up the Space Needle for the first time, and then puts on a downtown concert before taking off in a sea plane for home for a reunion with his parents, a parade, and a proclamation of Blake Lewis Day in the city of Brothel. And to top it off, singing the National Anthem at the Seattle Mariners baseball game.

After the video, Ryan has to shuffle off Blake's dad as he reads through the judges comments. America voted, and we'll get to your results in a few minutes. First, we are going to bring out a guy who made it to this exact spot last season. His new CD is getting great reviews and so is his hair. Welcome back to American Idol, Elliot Yamin!

After his performance, he faces the judges. Randy: It was hot, welcome home, Dog! Paula: I am speechles, I am so proud of you. Simon: It was great. Elliot's advice to this year's Idols: Be really proud of yourself for making it this far and this is only the beginning of great things to come.

Coming up, more results, music from Maroon 5 and Melinda goes home. There's lots to come!

And that includes the Idols 3 Ford Commercial.

And that brings Ryan to Melinda Doolittle who had a lot of sweet tea on her trip home. We go to Nashville for Melinda's homecoming, where in just a few short months she has gotten some of her fans through some really tough times. The Governor of Tennessee proclaims it Melinda Doolittle day across the state before she returns to her old high school where the street has been renamed to Melinda Doolittle Way since she is an example to students on how to live their lives. She performs for the crowd and her parents before moving on to her church where she was lifted off the ground (and back into her plane) for the return trip to Hollywood.

Ryan proceeds with the judges comments for Melinda. As you know, the votes came in and the results are closer than the last time. Maroon 5 coming up, and then the results.

Here with Makes Me Wonder is Maroon 5!

Results are coming up after this break.

If you have been skipping over all the fluff, you just missed a great performance by Maroon 5, but you are right on time to see who is going home and who will have the opportunity to perform in the Kodak Theatre in next week's American Idol Finale.

The three Idols are on the stage and it is the moment of truth. Dim the lights and now America's results.

Jordin Sparks, please step forward. Almost 60,000,000 votes came in and you will be happy with those votes - you have made it through to the finale.

In tears she takes one of the two Idol Finalist chairs as the attention turns to Blake and Melinda.

Melinda, please step forward. Almost sixty million votes. Those votes came in and America has decided, that this is the end of the road for you tonight on American Idol.

That means Blake makes it into the finale.

Blake takes a seat with Jordin and Melinda takes a look at her journey on American Idol. Ryan says a lot of good things will happen in her future. Next week, Blake Lewis and Jordin Sparks will go for your votes in the American Idol Finale.

Randy says Melinda was the most consistent of the season. Paula says she has everything to to be proud of. Simon congratulates Jordin and Blake and commiserates with Melinda.

And then Melinda reprises her final performance of I'm A Woman as Blake hands her a bouquet of flowers (on hand in case it the finale was to be girl vs girl action).

Fuskie

Who is not surprised Blake made it to the finals, but was less sure it was going to be Jordin facing him...

Archived