American Idol Top 9 Live Shows Discussion

uvp

STARTED

best starting with best: 1.kiki 2.hailey 3.gina 4.melinda 5.jordin

worst starting with worst: 1. chris r 2. phil 3. blayke 4. sanjaya

predictions to go: phil & gina

want chris r to go but the judges gave his bad performance the nod

Tonight we head into a night of legendary music. Your idols are tutored by none other than Tony Bennett. But tomorrow, one of them is history. This is American Idol!

When it comes to telling a story in song, tonight's guest star wrote the book. We get a video introduction to Tony for the uninitiated and a look at his meeting with the Idols. Then it is time for the Idols to take the stage.

We start out with Blake Lewis, singing Mack The Knife. Singing with a lilt to his voice, he appeared to be temporarily distracted off stage. Vocally, the song was decent and he had smooth dance moves, but the song lacked the emotion of the story. But he did add a little skat at the end as part of his big finish. Randy said it was a very good start to the evening, a perfect song for his cool jazz vibe even with a couple pitch problems. Paula said he personified pizazz, was a hip cat, just cool. Simon said it was a good choice of song, performed well, a 7 out of 10.

Phil Stacy has been looking forward to meeting Tony Bennett, singing Night And Day. He sounded a little off at the start, but maybe the song was meant to be sung that way. It was a smooth vocal, with inflection and simple energy but nothing to shout about. Randy called it an interesting choice with big notes, but no passion, it just didn't hit him, disconnected. Paula said he is reminiscent of a young Frank Sinatra but he still needs to have more joy and warm up the vocals so they have personality before the chorus. Simon said he had all the joy of someone singing in a funeral parlor, completely and utterly gloomy, lifeless, really dark.

Next, Melinda Doolittle has rhythm in I Got Rhythm . With a LaKisha look and belting the blues. Perfect vocals, perfect stage presence, perfect performance. She let her hair down and strutted her stuff. Randy says every week she gives a lesson in singing, interpreting the lyric and singing it. Paula says it was flawless. Simon said the first half was a bit cabaret, but the second half was great, personality, fun, but it is really difficult to find something about her to criticize, hard to be mean just to be mean.

With the benefit of a commercial break, Chris Richardson takes a viewer question. He considers most when choosing a song what he will be comfortable with and then what the audience and judges would like. He takes the stage singing Mister Saturday Day Dance. Starting out in silhouette, he embraced the style with a suave vocal, an audience friendly trot around the stage, but was a little shaky on some of the high notes. Randy said it was one of his best performances, interjecting his own style into an old standard, making it young and hip. Paula said there was eye contact, his best bar none. Simon thought it was good, believable, he made it kind of hip and worked it out very well, one of the strongest tonight.

Next up is Jordin Sparks singing On A Clear Day. She sang clearly, confidently, and expressively but it was not her best performance. Her finish was powerful though. Randy said he loves the heat the Idols are bringing tonight, she is like a pro at 17. Paula said she really is a magnet of joy and she exudes it on stage, she is so frickin' proud. Simon said she sang well but didn't achieve what Chris did, which was to make the song young and current. It was sung well but a little old fashioned.

Gina Glocksen singing Smile takes the stage next. With a violin accompaniment and sitting center stage, we got a close up view of her tongue piercing. Oh wait, I am supposed to pay attention to her singing. I am supposed to write about her clear vocals and personably emotional performance, not her hairdo. Sorry. Randy called it a nice controlled performance for the rocker girl. Paula called it understated, sentimental and flawless. Simon said he could not rave about her vocals because two other girls already out sang her.

Sanjaya wants to convince America he really can sing. Dressed in white with his hair slicked back, he showed he actually can. Not great, but he can sing. It is a genre that he is well suited for and if he would only have cut his hair instead of tying it back it would have been a terrific performance instead of just good. The two-step with Paula was a nice touch. Randy said he has turned into a great entertainer. Paula said the vocals were a little off but he is charming. Simon tried a different tactic saying simply it was incredible.

Haley Scarnato takes a viewer question and Haley is more nervous before singing than waiting to hear what Simon will say, but getting a good compliment means the world. She is singing Ain't Misbehavin'. Sitting on the riser behind the judges, she is singing mostly to the camera, a little sultry, a strong performance but still not in Melinda's league. Randy said he thought it would be a good week for her. Paula said that Green is a good color for her. Simon said they should say they think of the performance. And she has great legs. It was a little pageantry.

After the break, it is time for LaKisha Jones, singing Stormy Weather. Walking out like she owns the stage, she proceeds to demonstrate why with a brilliant vocal, an elegant outfit, and power that could mask any pitch problems, she nailed it. Randy said it started a little rough but she saved it all for the end. Paula said she has never looked more gorgeous and she sounded beautiful. Simon said it was a sassy, great performance and she is back on form.

Fuskie

Whose top performances go to Melinda, LaKisha, and Chris...

My thoughts on best to worst

Melinda (obviously, that girl can SANG)

Jordin

Gina

Lakisha

Chris

Blake

Phil

Haley

Sanjaya (big surprise)

Bottom 3 - Sanjaya

Bottom 2 - Haley

Leaving - Phil - he's been in the bottom 3 twice already, I remember Lisa Tucker was in the bottom 2, then 3, then she left. Methinks Phil is on his last leg.

hailey you guys are kidding me. vocally she was one of the strongest girls tonight. dont make the judges influences you. she was her typical revealing self but her vocals were on point

:lol: i see

Best

Latisha

Blake

Haley

Melinda

Gina

Jordin

Chris

Phil

Sanjaya

Worst

am i good or what?

uvp called it and yes gina goes home

idol is so predictable

another week i am right :animated_bouncy:

hailey or jordin will win idol

Last night, they were coached by one of the best in the business, but tonight Tony Bennett can not help them now. Someone is going home tonight live. This is American Idol!

The party is over for one of the finalists, but first, a fantastic live performance. And our judges. Before we find out whose time is up, let's see what went down on last night's show. The results are coming up, after the break.

But first, it's time for the Ford commercial featuring Kermit and the Escape Hybrid. Nice car (GF has one), but I like the hybrid Fuskiemobile

the producers thought she was a threat. that why i knew they wouild ax her this week. she was getting better and better each week producers didnt like that

its was guranteed they the producers didnt want her there no more. simon comments sealed her fate

lakiesha better watch out she going in the next three weeks