Episode 3.20: The Man Behind The Curtain (ben-centric)

kayo

DarkUFOconfirms that Episode 20 will be Dharma-centric! The title is "The Man Behind the Curtain".

"Looks like eps. #320 is 'hippie-centric' with a flashback to the '70's. Features Horace, a scientist/mathematician and Olivia an attractive elementary school teacher. Both embody a 'hippie' idealism. Olivia may show up later in other eps.

Source: Secretagentman"

The title is very interesting. I've always had a hunch about "Jacob". Could this be the BIG reveal episode? The title hints at something I've had a hunch about. I'm guessing that the title is in reference to "The Wizard of Oz". The wizard was supposedly "great and powerful" and was viewed by the people of Oz as this gigantic scary head with an imposing voice. But Dorothy and crew find out, via Toto, that the wizard is nothing more than a man pulling some levers. I'm guessing that either there really isn't a Jacob-that he has been made up, either by Dharma or Ben to control the island population; or Jacob IS Ben. What would be hilarious is if Vincent is somehow the one who reveals this to the 815ers!

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 3.20: The Man Behind the Curtain (Ben-centric)

Airdate: May 9, 2007

• 04/17 - Lost Spoilers offers us a summary of the spoilers Cuse and Lindelof revealed in the latest podcast: We will see Dharma before the purge and we might see how they repelled the smoke monster with the sonic fence. Source: Lost Podcasts
  • 04/17 - I hear we're going to meet Ben's mommy and daddy. We will get much more info about Ben's origins and the origins of the island. Source: Kristin on E!Online
  • 04/16 - Someone you wouldn't expect to see wearing a Dharma suit will appear in episode 20. There will be a big, epic, shocking scene. We will see more Dharma vans. Roger wasn't the only workman. Source: Lost Spoilers
  • 04/06 - Lost Spoilers offers us a summary of the spoilers Cuse and Lindelof revealed in the latest podcast: More info on the DeDroots soon. Source: Lost Podcasts
  • 03/27 - It looks like you'll get more action on Hurley's... van. Producers are currently casting for a "Roger," a working-class janitor in his early forties who is bitter about his place in life but has higher aspirations. The notice says of the character, "He has troubled and complex relationship with his son; he finds himself caught up in a mysterious situation beyond his imaginings; and the actor must not be claustrophobic." Pretty sure this is the skeleton

Courtesy of WCHS-TV:

"The Man Behind the Curtain"

Ben begrudgingly introduces Locke to the island's secrets, including mysterious Jacob; Juliet's secret goes public.

Courtesy of Buddy TV and Spoilerfix:

Fran

Guest actors/actresses appearing in this episode:

Carrie Preston as Emily

(Michael Emerson's wife)

Dough Hutchison as Horace

(Ooh, I remember him from The Green Mile...he's excellent at playing evil little weasels!)

Jon Gries as Roger Linus

(Could this be our skeleton "Roger Workman"??)

Samantha Mathis as Olivia

(she bears a resemblance to Claire...)

Madeline Carroll as Annie

("The sun'll come out tomorrow...oops, sorry, wrong show.." ;) )

Sterling Beaumon as young Ben Linus

Ah, and here's our little Ben...

Ben and young Ben:

benyoungbensr5.jpg

I think it's quite interesting that Ben is wearing a jumpsuit just like the one on the "Roger" skeleton found in the VW bus. I can't read what it says under Ben's name...could it say "workman" too? :animated_scratchchin:

photo courtesy of Dark UFO

• 2 weeks later...

Sneak peek clips are now up!

Sneak peek clip1

"The Wizard of Oz!" Because of Locke's comments I'm beginning to think that maybe there really IS a Jacob. Locke always seems to get things wrong...

Sneak peek clip2

Sneak peek clip3

An excerpt from an interview with Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse

Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

There's only three episodes left this season. What is it about this week's episode that sets the stage for the Jack-centric finale, airing May 23?

CUSE: Well, it's a Ben flashback, so it kind of really roots into the mythological history of the show and answers some important questions about the relationship between the Dharma Initiative and the Others. Ben is such a formative character, he is the biggest bad guy we know on the show. To get to know him is a signal that we've become an answer-mode kind of show.

LINDELOF: And more importantly, we meet Jacob

:eek:LOCKE- NO!!! :eek: He can't be

dead!

What a FANTASTIC Episode! This one ranks right up there as one of the best ever...and Terry and Michael deserve Emmys for their performances. Absolutely brilliant!

Did anyone see the figure of a man ACTUALLY sitting in the chair right after Ben is thrown back against the wall? It's there for just a quick moment, but man, what a mind-blower! We all freaked out when we paused the tape right on the actual frame. It's the side view of a man who looks a bit like Locke with a long wig on...or possibly Jack's dad...it's hard to tell. Whatever the case, this episode sure opens up a whole new line of questions....

1. What was the line of "ash" outside of "Jacob's" domain?

2. What is the significance of whether Ben's mom died on or off the island, in regards to him seeing her. Richard seemed very interested to know...it reminds me of the whole pregnant women dying on the island issue.

3. Richard....does he not age? He sure looked pretty much the same to me other than long hair in the earlier shots. And Ben did ask him, "you do remember birthdays, don't you Richard?" And what does this say about the other "hostiles" as well?

4. Listen to the other side of the tape...ah, now why didn't I think of that?

5. Did Ben shoot Locke because Ben normally hears Jacob, but he didn't hear Jacob's comment to Locke and Locke did? That is, Ben's worried about his standing with Jacob and with "the others"...that Locke might become the new head honcho? OR did he shoot him because Ben actually doesn't hear Jacob at all and Locke actually did?

6. Why did Jacob say "help me"? Is he/it trapped by Ben? By something or someone else? Or did Desmond's turning the failsafe key do something to it/him?

7. I love Locke, therefore, Locke CANNOT die! Who wants to bet that ol' Jacob/the island will have something to do with Locke healing pretty fast. I mean, if Mikhail can do it, then Locke can, right?

8. What was that picture in "Jacob's" house...a dog? And what were those jars filled with on the window sill? It looked like three with a red substance, one with yellow, and one with a blackish color.

9. I can't believe I actually felt sorry for Ben, that is, until he killed his dad (there's those daddy issues again!) and then walked in to Dharmatown and looked at all the dead bodies with no guilt at all...and then shot Locke!! Yep, the guy is pure mad scientist type of evil, I tell ya...

10. :animated_wave: Ok, Jem...I just have to know what you thought of this episode...please?

i agree about locke... he cant be dead!

i felt they could have sped up the flashbacks of bens past. they didnt spend too much time with the survivors and the whole julian tape thing if you ask me. for some reason i just feel like they are taking it to easy.

back to locke.. we only have what? 2 more episodes left? and 4 people are going to die. so i am not too sure that he will survive this. i dont want him dead... it doesnt look good. but i will cross my fingers for him.

10. :animated_wave: Ok, Jem...I just have to know what you thought of this episode...please?

I have to sit down and watch the last few eppys :bag: It will be before BB starts. PROMISE :unsure:

Another crazy episode, adn I am with you all in that Locke cannot die!! Although you are right fizz, with all the deaths supposed ot happen, there is a good chance he could be one of them, but I am hoping that like what kayo said will happen and the magic island will help him heal.

I missed the shadow of jacob, but luckily I still have it taped so I will watch it again.

Very curious about those ashes around his house (does it keep him trapped there or something)

I hate waiting for new epsiodes!!!!!!!! lol

i only saw nothing in the chair while they were there visiting Jacob,

but here's the screen cap of what everyone says flashed in the chair just for a second

and im going to have 'faith' that Locke is still going to be on the show, whether

he is dead or alive just as long as he's still on the show!

02.jpg

With most everything covered in here, I have only one question left.

Why did no one react to the idea of Austin being checked for pregger city? The tape was played at least twice that we saw. Yet no Kate with an uh-oh look, no James with a hopeful wink, not even Jack with a critical glance.

Too caught up in the moment?

Think it will turn into a tender scene bewteen K & J? And which J?

Good question katy... but maybe Kate cant get preggers, maybe something happend and she knows she cant be, although with the island, that could change as it wouldnt matter since the island does with you what it wants lol, I am sure they will have to address this at some point, especially since she and Sawyer have done the deed more then once.. it would be really stupid of them to let that slide!

If you go to the Hanso Foundation website, you will see a new and improved "Alvar Hanso". Not the white heaired old man from earlier. The hair and forehead look similar.

I finally got my husband to start watching it after his favorite character Eko was offed...right before the bullet went into John, my husband said, "The Locke guy is the only one I like, now." Great...now he'll NEVER watch it.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Lost

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

May 9, 2007: Help Me!

Well, I'm kinda struck dumb after that one. What started as a perfectly normal-for-Lost story suddenly took a turn into Blair Witch territory (after a brief stop in Psycho), and it's taking a whole lot of TV faith for me to believe that I'm going to like the explanation for all that weird stuff at the end.

To begin with, we all knew Ben was a tricky liar, ever since he called himself Henry Gale. So why would we have believed his story about being the only living man born on the island? What a great trick to show the scene of Ben's mother giving birth to him in some very lush woods, only to have his father run out to a highway outside of Portland. The casting of young Ben was excellent, too: Even though the kid didn't have those bug eyes, his receding chin and bad teeth made him quite the convincing future manipulative psychopath. And it seems Ben's part of the bad-daddy club, too. Poor Roger Work Man, n

Have you met my buddy Jacob?

Who is this guy?

Jacob.jpg

jacobpy3.jpgjacobss0.jpg

image13sr2.jpg

Since he's not listed in the credits for this episode at the IMDB, they may not have cast an actor for the part yet, but may have had Terry O'Quinn (Locke) or some random stage-hand stand sit in for now.

(Kind of like what happened with the role of Sylar on HEROES.)

Original Sylar: sylar2enhancedyw1.th.jpg

Interesting point, Buxomb. You may be right! I noticed the clothes seemed to be a much older style...would this "guy" have anything to do with The Black Rock? Or something even earlier? Also, a couple of other websites are speculating that the blob of something in the foreground of his face is not hair but actually an animal of some type...some say a monkey. I don't see it personally, but thought I'd share it anyway. I'm still very curious about the jars of liquid in the background too...and the painting in the room of what looks like a dog, possibly.