Big Brother Bot

So this whole countdown has got me thinking of how soon it would be till summer and my daily Big Brother rituals would begin. Long story short, I started thinking about how Morty often had to down-size his site to conserve bandwidth, and I was thinking of those moments when everyone wants to know who won the POV competition and the site is flooded.

That made me start thinking... you know those AIM bots, like SmarterChild that will automatically talk to you? Morty needs to get one! That way, people can add the "MortyBot" to their buddy lists, and when they IM it, the bot can say something like, "Press 1 to get the latest updates from the BB House." If the person presses 1, it can give the latest details such as "Joe Schmo won HOH and nominated Dude and Dudette. Dude won the POV and used it on himself. Joe Schmo nominated John Doe in his place."

It would would be off-server, so it wouldn't take up the bandwidth resources that the normal site requires.

I looked it up (google "build AIM bot"), and it seems that it requires some programming knowledge, which I have none. There's also a BuildABot site, but unless you're willing to pay for it, it has very limited responses.

Does anyone know/be willing to build a bot for the upcoming BB season? It would be very cool and easy way to manage some of the bandwidth.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it too. I know with the BBReloader we were able to get stuff like that but you had to pay for the program and it was useless unless you had the feeds. It's the people without the feeds that want the info. I'll definitely look into it.

AIM bot is all set up and ready to go.

Add MortysBBBot to your buddy list and send one of these five messages. (without the quotes)

"HOH Results"

"Veto Results"

"Eviction Results"

"News"

"Countdown"

Have fun. Once the season starts I can add more. Please let me know what you would like the bot to reply to.

Guys, this is so awesome. I'm so impressed at how quickly you got that set up. Very impressed. :D

Who is going to be responsible for updating it? Maybe a couple of people with the now-how should be able to do it, in case one person isn't on or whatever.

Also, if you type something like "hey" or something that's not one of the predefined values, I see a "MortysBBBot is typing a message." but that stays until I type a command, such as "news." Is there anyway we could set up a message so that if someone types something that isn't a command, a general message such as "Welcome to the MortyBBBot! To see a list of the information I provide, type 'commands'."

Anyways - this is so cool. I bet Morty's is the first BB site to have it's own AIM bot. Way to go guys. I'm so impressed.

Is AIM from AOL?

I had BBreoader last year and LOVED it but never got any updates. I tried to load the link on the reloader but it would not work for me. ho hum....

I can't frigging wait for BB8!

If you open the main window of AIM and mouse over the buttons at the bottom there is a button that will say "edit buddy list", click it and there will then be an open space, type Mortysbbbot and then press enter. The bot will then be added to your list.

Kay, it says it's added now...but when I try send a (fake) message to bot, it says something like--I'm sorry, but Mortysbbbot doesn't know how to reply to that at this time", or whatever.

Anyway, guess it's all good. Thanks Dream.

Archived