bio_cyrus.jpgbio_smirnoff.jpg

NAME:

Billy Ray Cyrus

PROFESSION:

Actor & Singer

PARTNER:

Karina Smirnoff

BACKGROUND:

Singer/songwriter/actor and star of Disney Channel's hit series Hannah Montana, Cyrus will partner with Season Three's finalist, Karina Smirnoff, who returns for her second season. Cyrus first entered the public spotlight with his hit song Achy Breaky Heart. His other acting credits include the feature film Mulholland Drive and the starring role in the series Doc.

NAME:

Karina Smirnoff

ACHIEVEMENTS:

* Five-time U.S. National Champion

* World Trophy Champion

* Asian Open Champion

* Ranked second in the world

CELEBRITY PARTNER:

Billy Ray Cyrus

STATS:

Style: Latin

Nationality: Russian

Based in: New Jersey

Status: Recently split from her partner, working with new Russian partner.

BACKGROUND:

During Season 3, Karina partnered actor Mario Lopez into second place.

Born in the Ukraine, Karina came to the U.S. with her family at age 12. She began ballet lessons at the age of 5 before moving on to figure skating which she studied for an additional five years. At the age of nine, Karina was introduced to ballroom dancing and fell in love with it.

After high school Karina graduated from Fordham University with a law degree but put her academic studies on hold to pursue her ballroom dancing career in the United Kingdom.

Karina and her former partner Slavik Kryklyvyy shared tremendous success winning the U.S. Championships and many other world titles and were ranked second in the world in the Latin division. Karina is now working with a new Russian partner.

ABC

First Dance Opinion: Achy Breaky Start...He appears to be there to pimp his new "mullet" song which is only slightly better than his dancing (not saying much). He may just be the Master P of the season.

I certainly agree! I didn't see the first hour, so only saw him in the group at the end. At first sight -- Man, get a hair cut. This is ballroom dancing, not Roadhouse! :bump:

He's reminding me of Master P... doesn't really want to be there.

He should go home 1st, imo. But, my daughter watched with me and that's the only person she knew (from Hannah Montana, Disney) Soooo, if there's a lot of kids watching, he might stay longer? :animated_scratchchin:

Well, he was much better this week than last.

I'm guessing he gets defensive easily -- thought it unwise that he made the comment of "Can I go home now?"

That's just handing the voters an opening.

He looks so much better when he puts that hair back and dresses properly. He did better but I think he is at the bottom. I don't think he will get voted out by the fans though.

Wow! What an improvement. I think his family encouraged him to actually try this week Instead of the... I can't believe my manager talked me into this bullcrap... kind of attitude. But, even with the improvement... I think he should be 1st to go.

Granted, he isn't the best dancer in the world, or on the show! He's not even good. Karina has an attitude problem though. It showed last season big time. I think its great she's paired with a dud!

I don't really like her either. I not sure yet, if it's because she was with Mario, and I really didn't care for him last season. The mean side of me hopes they go, so she can have that stigma of being the first gone. But I thought Billy Ray did really well---lots of improvements. I don't think it would break his heart to go though. His Achy-breaky heart! :giggle:

More BIG attitude from Karina. That's a shame.

BIG points to Billy for another week with his hair out of his face. He looks so much better that I almost forget about the dancing (that is improving). Loved the line -- his achy-breaky butt!

You know how they show little clips of the contestants yet to go on before they go to break? Last night, they showed Billy Ray and Karina, and she was all up against him, and then I think she thought they were done with the clip, and she practically pushed him away. I wasn't paying that close of attention, and maybe that brush off was part of the act, but it looked to me like she was 'Ok the cameras are off -- I don't have to pretend anymore-- get away from me you brute'.

Anyone else notice this?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Billy Ray seemed so unhappy. He looked like someone broke his heart all night. I don't think he smiled once. He also seemed angry and upset that he was not being eliminated. I wonder what is up with that.

I wonder if he's feeling bad because more talented dancers are leaving before him. He really is pretty bad. I give him props for trying, and I'm sure he's working hard, but I really don't need to see him out there week after week. None of the women should have gone before him, but I think it's fine that Clyde did. He was also pretty bad IMO. But Paulina, Sandi, and Leeza were quite a bit better than either. But that's the nature of the show. I think Billy might be the next to go. John is not very good either, but I do find him entertaining, and I hope he stays longer than Billy. Plus, I really don't like Karina, so I won't miss her one bit! And I really do like Edyta. She makes the most of what she's got. I think Karina was spoiled last season, when she had Mario. Now she has a taste of what some of the other professional dancers have had to deal with.

Was a little over the top for my taste but, I think Karina kinda gave up on "dancing" and decided with Billy Ray she just needed to entertain. Billy Ray does seem to put in the effort but, unfortunately, he just has noooo talent!

I think Karina has really resigned herself that their time is short and to just have fun. I see a big big difference from last week to this. They both are smiling again.

I agree. I thought the dance was awful, but not as hard to watch as him actually trying to dance. I'm no fan of his, and would like to see him go next, but it doesn't seem as awkward as it did before. I don't need any more 'bubba chicken' though!

OK, he's charming but let's not kid ourselves. The guy has got to go. He's become the Sanjaya of DWTS.

I agree. I love BR, think he's charming and definitely a likeable person, and you really sympathize with his struggle, but last night should have been his last night. I just think John's performances were better and he could have stayed one more week.

Something about him I just don't like..... He just reminds me of a sneaky person. I hope he goes next week! (I think he wants to go too)

I don't really dislike him, but I also don't really see his so-called 'charm'. His dancing, if you can call it that is really bad. He should have gotten no more than 2 for that first dance, since he pretty much just stood there. I wish he had gone before John. I'm not upset now, but if anyone who's left goes home before Billy Ray, then I will be! The rest of the dancers are just too talented, and I really want to see them, rather than Billy Ray clucking around the stage!

The charm comes from the fact that he's funny and is not on the show under the pretense that he can actually win. He's said basically from the beginning that he cannot dance, and is as surprised as anyone that he's still there week after week. I believe in his interview this week while they were showing him and Karina rehearsing that he wanted to showcase her in one of their routines b/c he basically knew he would be leaving (not a direct quote, but the gist of his interview). He knows he's bad, but he makes an attempt, unlike Clyde, and that's what's charming about him. Now I will agree that if anyone else is sent home before him next week, I will be upset b/c the other couples are really good and it would be a shame to see one of them go before their time.