bio_ali.jpgbio_chmerkovskiy.jpg

NAME:

Laila Ali

PROFESSION:

Undefeated World Boxing Champion

PARTNER:

Maksim Chmerkovskiy

BACKGROUND:

Ali, an undefeated world champion female boxer and youngest daughter of sports legend Muhammad Ali, takes her footwork to the ballroom dance floor on Dancing with the Stars. Outside the ring, Ali has graced countless international magazine covers such as Glamour and Italian Vogue, and authored the inspiring autobiography Reach!

NAME:

Maksim Chmerkovskiy

ACHIEVEMENTS:

* 2005 Yankee Classic Professional Latin Champion

* 2004 Manhattan Dancesport Professional Latin Champion

* 2003 Ohio Star Ball Latin Champion

* Ranked 2nd in the US

CELEBRITY PARTNER:

Laila Ali

STATS:

Style: Latin

Nationality: Russian

Based in: New Jersey

Status: Recently split from his professional partner, looking for a new one.

BACKGROUND:

Maksim partnered actress Tia Carrere in Season 2. They finished the show in 6th place. During Season 3, Max partnered singer Willa Ford into 7th place.

Born and raised in Russia, Max moved to the United States fifteen years ago. He has been dancing since the age of four when his parents decided he needed a hobby, and admits that he absolutely hated it from day one; like any little boy he wanted to play football and run around with his friends, so wearing funny costumes and partnering girls was the last thing he wanted to do.

Things changed when he was ten years old and had a crush on his dance partner. She was taken away from him and given to a better dancer, a boy who took it more seriously, and from that day something changed in Max.

ABC

1st Dance Opinion: Laili is really beautiful. And I don't mean that in a "Antonella Barba is beautiful but can't sing" kinda way. Cause it appears that Laili can dance too. In retrospect, I can see how being a good fighter and having dancing potential can go together. I look forward to seeing how she progresses.

I agree. I stepped into the show at this point. Not knowing background, I thought she might be the instructor. I'm interested to see what all these weeks of dancing will do for her already well-toned body.

Note to self: Would love to see Laila and Emmitt go round the floor!

2nd Dance Opinion: Week number 2 and I think this couple were number 1. Hot, Hot, Hot.

There's something so beautiful and mesmerizing about her. Didn't think tonights dance was her best but, she's still better than most.

Uh oh. . . a bad attitude and a snide remark just knocked her off my favorites list. She had a hard time not being judges darling last night. And her remark to Samantha . . . "they wouldn't have liked it no matter how well I did" . . . turned me right off. She's off my speed dial, for now.

jersy, I understand what you were feeling about her comment (my instant reaction too) but, then I almost immediately decided that it was directed at her partner. It's my understanding that the "pro's" choregraph their routines and the judges commented on how they "broke apart" during their dance and that's why they couldn't give her higher marks. I think we're seeing some partner issues developing more than her diss'ing the judges. jmo, though

jersy, I understand what you were feeling about her comment (my instant reaction too) but, then I almost immediately decided that it was directed at her partner. It's my understanding that the "pro's" choregraph their routines and the judges commented on how they "broke apart" during their dance and that's why they couldn't give her higher marks. I think we're seeing some partner issues developing more than her diss'ing the judges. jmo, though

How could she have been directing that comment to her partner? She said "they wouldn't have like it no matter how well I did" right after the judges criticized the routine. She can't take criticism. I still believe that remark was aimed directly at the judges. She'll need to win back my favor.

In the Pre-dance clips I recall that Appolo and Laila mentioned their preparation time was cut into because of previous obligations....

(sorry if I missed any of the other dancers mentioning the same dilemma)

I'm sure their dance routines were effected because of that.

B U T ....... the judges don't want to hear that stuff

(plus other dancers have had the same problem)

lol.... sorry, just rambling......... and rambling <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Does she sparkle on the floor or what?!? Another team I really enjoy watching dance. But, I'm getting tired of Laila's attitude. Can't stand it when the "celeb" thinks they know more than the professional dancer. Get over yourself Laila, do what Maksim tells you to do and you could win this thing!!!!

Go Laila, Go Laila, Go Go, Go Laila!!! Another 2 knockout performances by "the great" Laila!!! ;) (oh and Maksim too... ha)

I thought she was good but I though some of her dancing was a little "spastic" looking and not deserving a 30. I will have to go back and watch again. I think she is beautiful and certainly one of the top 3 in the competition. I just don't understand the judges sometimes. Sometimes they like the extra moves and other times they don't.

Very touching having her father in the audience tonight. But how in the world can you objectively judge her performance with the great Mohammad Ali in the room? And will the voters be swayed by that?