American Idol Top Twelve

Fuskie

This stage has found all kinds of stars, from Grammy winners to Academy winners. They come from all different backgrounds but share one thing in common. They gave you their all and you gave them your vote. It's the Top Twelve on American Idol!

The stage is tricked out, the band is super sized and the live audience is ready to go. And here come the Top 12 ready to perform, and the judges ready to critique. The guys and the girls will perform on the same stage together live for the first time, so Randy thinks the guys have to step it up. Simon said this stage can either make you or break you.

But first, and introduction for Diana Ross.

Who will win your vote tonight?

The competition starts with Brandon Rogers, singing You Can't Hurry Love. It is kind of a soft start, a decent vocal, at times overshadowed by the background singers. At one point, his voice cracked, but he had good stage presence and some moves. He forgot a lyric but recovered and finished the performance strong. Randy said he came out like he reverted to a background singer but the last two songs he came out in front. Paula said it is not easy to be the first tonight in this big concert hall. Simon said it was a complete let down, a predictable version, the dancing was terrible, you forgot the words, no star quality.

Next up is Melinda Doolittle with her My Coke Rewards question. The hardest part of the contest are the high heels and dresses; she likes her tennies and sweats. Singing Home, she slows it down and dresses it up with another stellar performance. It was not her best performance but she set the bar for the night, a natural on the big stage. Randy said it was not his favorite performance, but still really, really strong. Paula feels her joy (both are crying now), this is it for her, her time. Simon said he never liked that song, but she made a boring song fantastic, like a young Gladys Knight.

Chris Sligh is next, singing Endless Love. Without his glasses, he is silky smooth with strong vocals but an uninspiring stage presence. The performance left a lot of room for a stronger male performance. Not a song I would have chosen for him. Randy said it was a weired way to style that song; it was a mess. Paula said the song is so recognizable and beautiful, but sometimes you shouldn't try to fit an old song into a contemporary arrangement. Simon thought it was just unemotional, uninspiring, and he completely butchered it.

Gina Glockson is the fourth to take the stage, singing Love Child. A strong start, she owned this song from the outset. She used the stage effectively, had strong vocals, but did over sing a little bit at the end. Randy said it wasn't his favorite performance, pitchy in spots and not exciting. Paula said it is a feel good song, and she didn't bring the energy, she shouted at points. Simon said it was OK, she chose the right song, but it was a little bit forgettable.

Sanjaya Malakar takes the stage, singing Ain't No Mountain High Enough. He starts singing behind the beat a bit, with his new hair do. His vocals are tonally correct but he is not strong enough to do this song justice and he appears to be wearing earrings in both ears. This was kind of a 60's, laid back interpretation that will not likely be well received. Randy was speechless, saying it wasn't very good, almost not listenable. Paula said he is a sweet soul, but he did not grab the audience and explode with his vocals with reckless abandon. Simon said he can't; where you hear a whale in Beverly Hills, that is where Diana is watching the show. He says he is very brave for a 17 year old.

Haley Scarnato answers another viewer question. The craziest place she has ever sung is the AI stage tonight, everything is just so intense, an incredible feeling. Singing Missing You, she is soft and seated center stage, creating an intimate moment so a very personal song. But she forgot the lyrics as the song ramped up its energy. Randy said she gave it a valiant effort, but she sounded nervous, a little pitchy, her voice was all over the place. Paula said she looks beautiful but she knows what she did wrong. Simon said it wasn't that bad, and credits her with having stage presence and if she can hold it together, she could do well.

Next up is Phil Stacey, singing I'm Gonna To Make You Love Me. Bringing a soft touch to the big stage, it was an OK performance. He didn't back away from the song, maybe a little slow at the start but a big finish. Randy said the performance was a little boring but the vocals were hot. Paula said the song should have been more up tempo. Simon said it was the right tempo, a good choice of song, but he has a tendency to shout when he hits the big notes; not outstanding but not awful.

LaKisha Jones is next, singing G-d Bless The Child (without the mic stand). With a solo spot shining down on her, she gives off a simple but powerful performance, with dramatically emoted vocals and an intensity that grabbed you and carried you along. And boy did she nail the ending, with a simple thank you. Randy said wow, perfect song choice, outfit, unbelievable vocal. She did not over do it with her big voice; it was sensational. Paula said her heart came through when she sang. Simon said you either got it or you haven't got it, and you got it. The quality difference between you and Melinda compared to the other singers, you two are in a different league. A very controlled performance, but you were in control.

Someone has to follow, and that job belongs to Blake Lewis with another viewer question. He listens to a lot of underground hip hop in his spare time, but his favorite artist of all time is MJ, Prince, anyone who performs really well. Singing, You Just Keep Me Hangin' On, he revamped it for the new millennium with a funked out jazz vibe. He kind of under sung the vocals and his constant motion was a little distracting but it was definitely innovative and unique. Randy said there were some good things, but you do not have to change every song; let the classics be the classics and sing the song. Paula said there is a difference between what Blake did and what Chris Sligh did; he could have a hit but he is a better singer. Simon didn't get it at all; if you had just heard that on the radio, you wouldn't like it. You didn't sound as good, and the new melody didn't work well.

Next up is Stephanie Edwards, singing Love Hangover. Sultry in a colorful dress bathed in purple and blue lights, this was a near perfect performance, maybe a little pitchy but ultimately engaging. Randy said she forgot a few words, a good vocal but not her best, he was waiting for the up tempo part. Paula wondered wondered why she didn't go with the up tempo portion of the song. Simon said it was a strange arrangement of the song, teasing with the intro but not closing particularly well; she needs to make a much bigger impact on the audience.

Chris Richardson was ready to work the big stage, singing The Boss. An energetic start to the performance, the vocals were on pitch early on but listening to him sing it is sometimes hard to take him seriously. The first Idol to leave the stage and work the crowd, but his vocals suffered as he lost tonal focus. Randy said he was holding the line for the boys but he overdid it a bit, interesting but half bad too. Paula said he nailed the blend of bringing classic and temporary. Simon said the vocals were dreadful, and this is a singing competition.

The final performance tonight comes from Jordin Sparks. Singing If We Hold On Together, it was an emotional, personal performance with lots of close-ups and fades that created an intimate ambiance. The vocals were good, but it lacked the energy required of show closer. Randy said he is so impressed with her at age 17, and tonight it is a 3 girl race. Paula said she is a natural gift, she drew her in right away. Simon thought it was a little bit gooey, but it was a very good vocal that put her with a shot of being in the finals.

Tomorrow night, results and Diana Ross, live.

Fuskie

Whose top four performances were, in order, LaKisha, Melinda, Blake and Jordan...

3/13

best of night starting with best 1. lakeisha aka kiki 2. jordin sparks 3. sabrina 4. phil 5. blake 6. hailey

send them home starting with worst

1. sanjaya 2. sanjaya 3. sanyaja 4. sanjaya 5. chris r 6.gina

Top four: Jordin, Lakisha, Stephanie, Blake

Bottome four: Sanjaya, Sanjaya, Phil, Chris R.,

best of night starting with best 1. lakeisha aka kiki 2. jordin sparks 3. sabrina 4. phil 5. blake 6. hailey

Sabrina? Do you mean Stephanie ?

My top four tonight would be 1. Melinda 2. Lakisha 3. Jordin 4. Blake

My bottom four would be 1. Sanjaya's voice 2. Sanjaya's hair 3. Sanjaya's earrings 4. Chris R. (I thought I'd better throw someone in there besides Sanjaya)

i knew brandon was the chosen one to go home

sanjaya as bad as he is should last until top 9 due to not many beside top 5 contestant having a strong fan base

These top 12 worked months to make it to tonight's show. But tonight, one of them will be going home. Prepare for the drama: This is American Idol!

It's results night which means it is the end of the road for one of the finalists. Plus a live performance by Diana Ross. And the judges are with us. But first, a recap of last night's show. And a tribute to Diana Ross in the obligatory group song. And then it is time for the first Ford music video commercial thingie of the season.

And then finally it is time for the results. The top twelve are seated at the side of the stage, together for the life time.

LaKisha, America voted and you are safe.

Gina, after the vote you are safe.

Brandon, America voted and you are in the bottom three tonight.

Jordin, after the vote you are back next week; you are safe.

Chris, after the vote you showed them who's boss: safe.

Melinda, America voted and you are not going home this week.

Phil, after the vote you are in the bottom three this week. Please join Brandon on the stage.

Chris, after the vote you are safe.

Stephanie, the votes are in and you are safe.

Blake, America voted and you are hanging on another week.

Phil and Brandon in the bottom three. Will Sanjaya or Haley be joining them? The answer and a live performance by Diana Ross after this break.

After Diana's performance (neither her looks nor her vocals knocked my socks off), it is time to find out who will join Brandon and Phil in the bottom three. After this break.

Sanjaya and Haley, America voted and Haley you are safe. Sanjaya to the center of the stage. America, this is your bottom three.

Phil, you are safe and can take a seat, you'll be back with us next week.

That leaves Sanjaya and Brandon.

After nearly 28,000,000 votes, America has decided that Sanjaya, you are safe. Brandon leaves us tonight on American Idol. We take a look at Brandon's journey before he reprises his final performance.

Fuskie

Who thinks America got it right and as Brandon acknowledged, you can not commit carnal sin on live television...

Just a quick note - I will be out of town next week and will not be able to provide show updates.

Fuskie

Who invites others to take up the cause in his absence...

Miss Chris, you can only watch this show if you realize that it's not what it started out to be years ago.

It's no longer a talent show; it's a TV show that brings in huge ratings.

The judges (and others) already know that they will promote Melinda, Lakisha, maybe another, just as they did with Chris Daugherty last year. You can expect albums from M. and L., regardless of how long they last in the competition.

The actual winner, runner-ups, are irrelevant to them. It's all about making a good TV show.

there is nooooooooooooooooooooooo way in h*ll that sanjaya should be there over brandon!!!!!!! blah blah blah america votes blah blah blah. i don't buy it! sanjaya SUCKS and at least brandon had some talent! as soon as uncle fester was told to sit down, i knew what poor brandon's fate would be! AI really sucks for me right now! i'm soooooooooooo not happy! and in the words of francis.........YOU'RE ON NOTICE!

You are right that Sanjaya can not and should not win, but his performance Tuesday night was not worse than Brandon's. Brandon was off pitch and forgot his lyrics. Sanjaya simply does not have the confidence or strength to sing at this level. He is in the bottom three, although I would hazard a guess that he placed above Phil Stacey as well. I do not see him cracking the top 10.

Fuskie

Who expects that the morally outraged will outweigh the teenyboppers at the voting booth eventually...