American Idol General Discussion

Cajunboiler

Not even a question...Sanjaya.

Not to say everyone was bad or that there wasn't some good performances and/or singing tonight but, overall I wasn't blown away or impressed with anyone tonight.

last nite's performances were a bit of a letdown. melinda was phenominal, and jordin was good, other than that, i was disappointed. lakisha is good, but i don't get the judges saying that she's the best. starting to remind me of reuben and fantasia.......they played them up and then they don't go anywhere.

haley and brandon forgetting their words..........YIKES!! don't think either one of them will be going home, but they need to step it up.

my bottom three........brandon, haley, stephanie.....stephanie going home.

unfortunately, i think sanjaya is safe for awhile....he's the chicken little of this season

i cant believe that sanjaya is still on this show....he def is the one who people will vote for just to keep someone awful there.

i liked the beat box guy and the guy who they keep compairing to justin timberlake

i think the two black girls did the best...the one without a neck was the best last night.

and sanjaya not understanding simon when he said if anyone can hear a wail in beverly hills that will be diana ross .....i laughed my butt off and sanjay was so stupid he didnt get it.

:animated_rotfl:

If I had to choose two people to be in the bottom two, it would've been Brandon and Sanjaya... I just wish Sanjaya would've been the one sent home.

I hope 3 guys being in the bottom 3 sends a message to the guys telling them to step up their games.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this interesting. They ask yahoo people who has the most star potential out of the top 12 and here are the current ranks.

1. Melinda

2. Lakisha

3. Jordin

4. Blake

5. Gina

6. Stephanie

7. Chris S

8. Chris R

9. Haley

10. Brandon

11. Phil

12. Sanjaya

Stephanie got so screwed.

phil cant catch a break

lol

You know Idol use to be one of my favorite shows........I have caught up with what's happening on the show and I must say this is there worse year!!

I will catch the last 3 minutes on Wednesday nights ..........and that's just to see who gets kicked off. This is no longer a singing competion IMO, it turned into a popularity contest last year.

Even worse than the obsession about his hair is his new cocky attitude. He knows what's going on, and is doing a real "in your face" thing to the judges. I've stopped feeling sorry for him.

logo-NYTimes.gif

Howard Stern Trying to Kill 'Idol'

by Edward Wyatt

sanjaya_malakar.jpg

Sanjaya Malakar

LOS ANGELES, California -- For the last few years, three-quarters of the network television executives in Hollywood have tried to figure out how to derail "American Idol," the Fox juggernaut that dominates the prime-time ratings. Now Howard Stern, of all people, says he has found the way.

For the last two weeks, Stern has been promoting a Web site created by a 24-year-old "American Idol" fan that encourages people to support the worst performer on the popular talent show. Their candidate has been Sanjaya Malakar, the off-key, lyric-fumbling, elaborately coiffed teenager who is perhaps the most talked-about 'Idol' contestant ever.

By promoting Malakar, Stern says, he hopes to turn the talent competition into a farce and destroy its popularity. "We're corrupting the entire thing," Stern said on his Sirius Satellite Radio show Thursday, the day after Malakar secured a place in the top nine finalists. "All of us are routing 'American Idol.' It's so great. The No. 1 show in television and it's getting ruined."

stern.jpg

Howard Stern

The stakes of the battle are not insignificant, either for Fox or for the contestants. In its sixth season, "American Idol" has drawn an average of 32 million viewers each week, nearly 50 percent more than the next highest-rated show and better than the show has measured in any previous season.

Some past winners of the competition have gone on to produce chart-topping singles and albums, including Kelly Clarkson , who won the first season, and Carrie Underwood, who won the fourth. Jennifer Hudson, who was eliminated in a late round during the show's third season, went on to win an Oscar for her performance in "Dreamgirls."

Malakar, who at 17 looks like a 1970s pop star of the David Cassidy/Bobby Sherman/Andy Gibb variety, had been among the lowest two or three vote-getters in the first weeks of the season. But after Dave Della Terza, the founder of a Web site called votefortheworst.com, first appeared on Stern's radio show on March 20, Malakar has not been among the lowest vote-getters.

american_cry.jpg

Sanjaya Fan 13-Year-Old Ashley Ferl

'Idol' does not release total vote tallies, but each week reveals which performers are in the bottom slots. A number of those voting for Malakar may be genuine fans, many of them in the pre- and early-teenage brackets, to judge from posts on a number of Internet bulletin boards dedicated to the show.

But the fans also include older women and Indian-Americans, and Malakar's progress is being tracked voraciously by Indian newspapers in both the United States and India. And they probably include executives at Fox, the television network that is riding "American Idol" to the top of the ratings.

Malakar also has some prominent detractors, not least some of the show's judges especially after last week's rendition of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by the young Federal Way, Washington native. (Although the judges eliminate contestants in early rounds, results at the current stage of the show are determined solely by viewer votes.)

simon_cowell_american_idol_210.jpg

Simon Cowell

Simon Cowell, the acid-tongued British judge who is one of the show's biggest draws, threatened to quit the show if Malakar wins. "I won't be back if he does," Cowell recently told the television show "Extra." Randy Jackson, another of the three 'Idol' judges, responded to Malakar's recent performance this way: "That song was almost unlistenable for me, man."

A Fox spokeswoman declined to comment on Cowell's comment, but the network said in a statement that efforts like Stern's do not affect the results. "With 30 million votes every week, and hundreds of millions of votes over the season, the power of true fans of 'American Idol' dwarfs any attempt of people trying to gain notoriety."

The statement continued, "Despite the press coverage, these campaigns don't affect who moves forward in the competition." Stern, through a spokesman, declined to be interviewed for this article. Unlike Stern, Della Terza, a community college teacher near Chicago, said he did not want to destroy 'Idol.'

dave_mug.jpg

Dave Della Terza

"We're not out to take the show down," Della Terza said in a telephone interview. "We like the show. We want to keep around the guy we think is funny and corny." His aim, he said, was simply to spice up the show by toying with the results, keeping what he calls the "cheesiest" contestants on for as long as possible.

In a recent interview on Stern's radio show, Della Terza said he understood that his efforts might be affecting contestants who are better singers. "Everyone tries to say we're crushing dreams with what we're doing, but we're trying to help Sanjaya's dreams," he said. "He wants to be the 'American Idol' too."

Hudson, coincidentally, was the first contestant to be recommended for support on the Web site, votefortheworst.com, something that is not lost on Della Terza. "We picked her the first week because of her crazy outfits and over-the-top singing," he recalled. But she improved, and the site switched its recommendation to another contestant.

hicks_175.jpg

Taylor Hicks

Last year the site also picked Taylor Hicks, the eventual winner, as the worst performer when five competitors were left. "If we had not recommended him, maybe he wouldn't have won," Della Terza said. It is unclear how many voters have been influenced either by Stern or the Web site.

Sirius has six million subscribers but does not release listener figures for its individual shows. According to Della Terza, votefortheworst.com had been receiving a million or so hits per 'Idol' show this season; that number jumped to more than three million after his first appearance on Stern's show.

Now, Della Terza said, the site will stay with Malakar for the duration, even though he thinks there is no chance he will win. (The bookmakers at bodog.com have placed 25-to-1 odds on Malakar's winning the competition; the favorite, Melinda Doolittle, is listed at 4-to-5.)

"Even if by some miracle we get him to the final two," Della Terza said, "I think the rest of America will be so outraged by the possibility of him winning that they will vote against him."

I posted about a week ago the results off yahoo's online poll about who has more star potential and here is how they ranked. This was star potential.

1. Melinda

2. Lakisha

3. Jordin

4. Blake

5. Gina

6. Stephanie

7. Chris S

8. Chris R

9. Haley

10. Brandon

11. Phil

12. Sanjaya

------

Here is how they rank now for star potential

1. Melinda Doolittle - 82%

2. Jordin Sparks - 75%

3. Lakisha Jones - 71%

4. Blake Lewis - 70%

5. Gina Glocksen - 56%

6. Chris Richardson - 55%

7. Stephanie Edwards - 52%

8. Chris Sligh - 48%

9. Haley Scarnato - 41%

10. Phil Stacey - 35%

11. Brandon Rogers - 35%

12. Sanjaya Malakar - 16%

http://tv.yahoo.com/american-idol/show/349...DSs9t4koTAgdoZ4

Here are other polls that I saw and thought I might as well post from yahoo.

Best vocals

1. Melinda Doolittle - 90%

2. Lakisha Jones - 84%

3. Jordin Sparks - 77%

4. Blake Lewis - 62%

5. Stephanie Edwards - 59%

6. Chris Sligh - 56%

7. Gina Glocksen - 54%

8. Chris Richardson - 48%

9. Phil Stacey - 39%

10. Brandon Rogers - 37%

11. Haley Scarnato - 35%

12. Sanjaya Malakar - 10%

Who takes the most heat from Simon Cowell?

1. Sanjaya Malakar - 81%

2. Haley Scarnato - 68%

3. Brandon Rogers - 60%

4. Phil Stacey - 59%

5. Chris Sligh - 55%

6. Gina Glocksen - 54%

7. Chris Richardson - 45%

8. Stephanie Edwards - 41%

9. Blake Lewis - 40%

10. Jordin Sparks - 32%

11. Lakisha Jones - 25%

12. Melinda Doolittle - 19%

At the beginning of the top 24, everyone said how the girls rock! Now, there are more guys than girls left. What's up with that?

the lack of talent on the guy side didnt have no standard of top singers to judge the others on. the top heavy vocal girls ate the own