Summerland

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Summerland

First things first: Man, did C. Thomas Howell look freakin' old. I almost didn't recognize Ponyboy there for a minute. Sure, he was playing a drunk with the trademark black circles under bloodshot eyes, week-old stubble and perma-bedhead. But didja check out those deep lines and the sunken hollowed cheeks? They're courtesy of Father Time, not the Summerland makeup crew. Guess C.Tho is old enough to have a 14-year-old son, which would then make me... well, never mind. Anyway, you knew once Nikki spilled the beans about Kyle's drinking problem, sad-sack Cameron would stay at the beach house until Dad sobered up. (Hey, what's one more kid, right?) Looks like the very poised, very confident teen's not the only one fixing broken souls. Bryce's hot little sister (who looked a lot like Alexis Bledel in some scenes and Amber Tamblyn in others) rescued Bradin from a collegeless future telling boring old surfer stories. Onetime-playboy Jay fell in love with Isabel and saved her from the so-called perils of single parenthood. Lest he be left out of the pity party, Johnny went all Alateen on Cameron, offering up his own stories about his drunken mom. (Is this "family" too much or what?) What ever happened to the dysfunction and the awkward, sullen, insolent Midwestern kids we knew and loved? Watching the pieces come together never is any fun, which is why this summer is coming to an early end.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUDE: The Water Cooler

Summerland

Only two eps left before the series finale and we're stuck with a midseason rerun about the broken hearts all over Playa Linda. Who got knocked around worst? Bradin, who's in forbidden love/lust with his surfing coach? Jay, who watches his ex falling for Bradin? Nikki, who has a crush on her gay lit advisor? Cameron, who's pining away for oblivious Nikki? Or Ava, who suffers through the most well-deserved but harsh kiss-off-you-had-your-chance lecture ever from Johnny? It's tempting to pick Bradin, since first-time love can hurt so freaking bad, but I'm gonna go with Ava. So she wasn't smart enough to hold on to the guy the first, what, hundred times she had her chance. But she deserves props for putting herself out there. I mean, who has the nerve to ask your ex to move back in with you when he's already got another girlfriend, they're living together and they've opened up their own restaurant? ("Go for it!" wouldn't exactly be my advice, but hey....) Now that we know that Mona will eventually, um, kick the bucket, a few eps later, Ava's pleas don't seem that ridiculous. Just sorta desperate. OK, very desperate. Still, you felt sorry for her, right? (I couldn't help it as her face screwed up, and the tears started falling. I'm easy like that.) After all they've put everyone (including me!) through, those two better get married in the last episode.

Guest ranster627

Summerland

After saving the life of loser-leech and so-called best-friend Bryce, Bradin thinks he might want to become a doctor. Well, I guess I can see him trading a surfboard for a stethoscope, becoming one of those hot residents who makes the nurses and the patients swoon. The timing of his realization is actually perfect, since it helped Bradin decide to ditch Bryce at the height of his annoyingness. (His Jeff Spicoli act has gotten way old; how many times can we listen to lame platitudes like "There's plenty of time to be a loser

Guest ranster627

Summerland

OK, so it wasn't the wedding I'd hoped for, but I'll take it. The sun set on this endless-summer series with Ava and Johnny professing their love for each other on the beach in front of a roaring fire. Finally! After two seasons of will-they, won't-they, it was no accident that "Don't Dream It's Over" (by a band called Crowded House, nonetheless... get it?) was playing as they were kissing. I wasn't sure they'd even end up together, with Ava's speech beforehand about not going back to what they once had. And didn't she just tell Nikki that that she and Johnny were over because too much had happened between them? (But hey, I'm not complaining.) Lots of other loose ends were tied up, like Bradin's finally deciding to quit his corporate sponsorship. But are we really supposed to believe a 17-year-old is going to have a moral issue with an ad campaign that shows off his studly bad-boy image? His moral outrage seemed a little too mature to me. Speaking of mature: Props to formerly flaky Jay for stepping up when Isabel said she was pregnant. (You knew she was going to keep the baby, right?) He's had lots of practice as a surrogate parent to Bradin and Derrick, so no worries there. Maybe Isabel can move into the beach house with Jay (baby makes nine under one roof) and they can do a spin-off called Full House. Oh, riiiiight...