Lekisha Jones

jersey721

I know I'm gonna get slammed for this, but here goes. . .

Why all the fuss over Lekisha last night? Wow, the big black girl sang "I'm Not Going". Who would have guessed? Yes, she did a good job, but it was such a predictable performance it almost made me gag. I guess "It's Raining Men" is coming next.

agreed Jersey--we're definitely in the minority, but I also don't see what the huge fuss was about Lakisha.

She was very good, granted. And she certainly deserves to move on.

I didn't think she was amazing though. I ranked each one of them, and I ranked Sabrina, Stephanie, and Melinda slightly ahead of Lakisha--not by much, Lakisha was right up there. I just didn't think she was so totally incredible.

Lakisha's bio says she's from Flint, MI ..... but, looks like she's living and working in the Annapolis / Fort Meade area here in Maryland.

I caught the local TV station right after the show. It showed a crowd of her friends and co-workers celebrating and cheering her on.

Looks like she's pretty well liked.

(Should be interesting to see the gals battle this one out ... and watch the guys try to play catch-up)

so when a black girl can sing their is a problem and a need for a thread. do us black folks complain when a white gal can sing no we dont. dont worry she wont win idol. idol dont make much money off of the black winners.

it a shame alot of black talent dont get same marketing as the goldy white winners. no grammys for ruben or fantasia yet

go white people i make a thread complaining about a white singer that can sing just like this one

fyi usually black folks sing better

we excell @ singing too just like sports :animated_wave:

Okay, this is a discussion about AI right? So, why can't people discuss?

First off, the first two posters did not use any comments such as UVP's "goldy white winners."

Secondly, there have been as many black "good" singers (if not more) than "white" singers.

Third....the whole concept was "Idolization" and in the first season the judges were reluctant to choose anyone overweight or unattractive. Eventually, they gave in and giving those with talent, a chance.

I don't know, but it appears that overweight "white gals" just don't do as well as overweight "black folk" on the show. Does anyone else see the bias in that?

Honestly, until upn commented race wasn't mentioned.

Voice type/style/range were which may be correlated but this isn't a discussion about race.

Actually, I'm rather offended at the comments made by upn. I think I and other readers of this thread deserve an apology for the discrimination and negative feelings based on the color of our skin (be it white or black).

On topic, I enjoyed her but also didn't see her as head and shoulders above the rest.

Okay, this is a discussion about AI right? So, why can't people discuss? must i hold my tongue i responded with my thoughts like it or not.

I don't know, but it appears that overweight "white gals" just don't do as well as overweight "black folk" on the show. Does anyone else see the bias in that?

because they cant sing thats why. name those white folks who you felt got overlook if you dare. if you dont have talent must judges or america award them so they can stay even with the as you folks round here like to say BIG BLACK GIRL. debating is my forte

from my neck of woods it seems like BIG WHITE GIRLS usually end up further

i havent once in an idol audition seen simon coming down on a white girl for their weight have you??????????????????????????? but i have seen countless time of him doing it to the big girls. but not the point of my original thread.

who are what are you refering to?

i didnt start big black girl . reference which i find ofensive but i just ended it with my thoughts :food-smiley-005: .

fyi white folks over sing also it just that black folks do it better. i think thats was point of this thread .

whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rrrrrrrrrrrrr

Honestly, until upn commented race wasn't mentioned.

Voice type/style/range were which may be correlated but this isn't a discussion about race.

Actually, I'm rather offended at the comments made by upn. I think I and other readers of this thread deserve an apology for the discrimination and negative feelings based on the color of our skin (be it white or black).

On topic, I enjoyed her but also didn't see her as head and shoulders above the rest.

do you live in cave? i find it ironic. that big black girl isnt a race statement how convient you overlooked that part you lost all credibility to me with that one. lmbaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooo

apology hell no

Well, is big black girl offensive? It can be depending on how you interpret it. I didn't interpret it to be racial. When referring to Lakisha, you're probably going to use the "Big Black Girl" to describe her since she is the only "Big Black Girl." I know I was describing her like that to my friend today who didn't see the show last night. She knew immediately who I was talking about. If I told someone that the skinny white girl sung great or the skinny black girl sung great... no one would know who I'm talking about since there is more than one.

No it wasn't those three words. It was the implications that the thread was made based on her skin color and that opinions would be different if she was white.

go white people i make a thread complaining about a white singer that can sing just like this one

fyi usually black folks sing better

Well, is big black girl offensive? It can be depending on how you interpret it. I didn't interpret it to be racial. When referring to Lakisha, you're probably going to use the "Big Black Girl" to describe her since she is the only "Big Black Girl." I know I was describing her like that to my friend today who didn't see the show last night. She knew immediately who I was talking about. If I told someone that the skinny white girl sung great or the skinny black girl sung great... no one would know who I'm talking about since there is more than one.

i respect your post. but my issue with thread starter is context in which it was use. all of us here watches the show right so for the "big black girl" which the thread starter i assume who is white quoted really gets under my skin we all know who the hell she is. from his/her post you can clearly read that he/she has issue big black girls .

fyi i said what i am to say . deal with it :party_smilie: just like thread starter said what he or she had to say

I love 'big black men' especially male nurses.. and I don't care if they can sing or not, I only care if they can carry me home after too many martinis.

love you too :animated_rotfl:

Wow, the big black girl sang "I'm Not Going". Who would have guessed? Yes, she did a good job, but it was such a predictable performance it almost made me gag. I guess "It's Raining Men" is coming next.

I'm white, and I can tell you right now when I first read this I took the tone of it the same way UVP did. Not only that, I showed it to my wife and she took it the same way. The implication you make here is that a fuss was made because she is black...that she is interchangeable with similar black singers because they are 'all the same.' If you did not like her singing you could have simply said...'I don't now what the fuss is about, because she sucked.'

To me, the 'It's Raining Men' comment was the period at the end of the tone you were setting.

Just have to back you up UVP, even if YOUR initial response was also a little over the top.

Words of wisdom from Crappysucks...take 'em or leave 'em.

The intent of my initial post was lack of originality. The song "I'm Not Going" is sung by the largest of the trio in Dreamgirls (movie and stage). I only thought that if the judges are looking for contestants to "push themselves" or "get out of their comfort zone", Lekisha did not accomplish that. I think she is a wonderful singer. . . better than that 'seen-a-million-times-before' performance Wednesday night.

crappy thanks. i was a little over the top my bad lol

Quote: "i havent once in an idol audition seen simon coming down on a white girl for their weight have you??????????????????????????? but i have seen countless time of him doing it to the big girls. but not the point of my original thread. "

Usually because they don't make it that far . So, what if he does say things about the weight....they always make through anyway because - yes they can sing.

So, UPV - it's all about singing, isn't it. But, no you always have to bring the racial coments into everything.

final two