Big Love

lightplum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

me too!! i was so excited when the commercial came on. I called my friend and told her, and she told me not only is Big Love coming back, but we get 5 straight new Eps of Vereonica Mars starting today!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Big Love' Goes Back in Time

On-demand vignettes illuminate show's back story

May 10, 2007

25931192.jpg

Ginnifer Goodwin, Jeanne Tripplehorn and Chloe Sevigny of 'Big Love'

HBO's "Big Love" will begin its second season pretty much right after the first season ended, but the show's creators are also offering fans a glimpse at the Henrickson family's history.

Before the show returns on Monday, June 11, viewers with access to HBO On Demand will be able to watch three shorts that offer some insight into how Bill Henrickson (Bill Paxton) and his three wives (Jeanne Tripplehorn, Chloe Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin) came to their current arrangement.

The vignettes, collectively titled "Big Love: In the Beginning," will premiere Saturday, May 28 for Comcast subscribers with HBO On Demand, then roll out a week later to all cable and satellite systems that carry the on-demand service. Following that, they'll be available at HBO.com and will air on the network Sunday, June 24.

The first, titled "Post-Partum," is set five years before season one and shows Nicki (Sevigny) worrying about her place in the family after giving birth to son Wayne. The second, "Meet the Baby-sitter," jumps ahead two years and introduces Margene (Goodwin) to the clan, an ex-Home Plus employee who takes a job as the family's babysitter.

Finally, "Moving Day" -- set 14 months prior to season one -- finds the three wives teaming up to try to convince Bill to move to a bigger home.

The new season of "Big Love" will find the family dealing with the fallout from Barb's (Tripplehorn) exposure as a polygamist and Roman (Harry Dean Stanton) trying to hold together an increasingly frayed Juniper Creek compound.

• 5 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Big Love Preview: Barb Will Pay for Her Polygamy!

by Joe Friedrich

070611int2jeanne.jpg

Jeanne Tripplehorn, Big Love

HBO's Big Love went out with a big bang last season, when First Wife Barb was unceremoniously exposed as a polygamist at Utah's Mother of the Year ceremony. As the second season begins (tonight at 9 pm/ET), we asked Jeanne Tripplehorn about Barb now coming unglued.

TV Guide: Is this the beginning of the end for the Henricksons?

Tripplehorn: No, but everybody's sort of in disarray. The other wives are really concerned about Barb. She knows she put her family in jeopardy out of vanity, and she's paying for it. The family sort of blows apart for a little bit.

TV Guide: The show's premise is decidedly out of the mainstream, not to mention illegal. Yet these characters earn our sympathy.

Tripplehorn: It's [executive producers] Mark [V. Olsen] and Will [scheffer]. They adore these characters, and they want to make sure the audience understands them, their motives and who they are. The Henricksons are incredibly spiritual, and like the title says, they have a lot of love.

TV Guide: So the theme didn't turn you off?

Tripplehorn: No, I thought it was great. When they gave me the role, I started laughing, and I said, "Just when you thought you'd seen it all on TV."

TV Guide: The wives seem to serve different purposes. Margene (Ginnifer Goodwin) has a childlike innocence, while Nicki (Chloe Sevigny) has a connection to power. But is Barb Bill's one true love?

Tripplehorn: Exactly. She's his soul mate. If she hadn't gone through cancer, they definitely would not be in a polygamist relationship. Bill was having money problems and Barb was dying, so they went back to the compound to lick their wounds and get back on their feet, and that's when Nicki came into the picture. But it all spun out of control, because Barb lived.

TV Guide: You've played in films opposite Tom Cruise, Kevin Costner, Hugh Grant. So how does Bill Paxton measure up?

Tripplehorn: Well, he's an incredible dancing partner. I have a smile on my face every day I go to work, and he's a huge part of that. We have a nice shorthand because we're from the same part of the country: He comes from Texas, I'm from Oklahoma. He has an understanding of where we come from and who we are.

TV Guide: Any plans for Bill to add another wife this season?

Tripplehorn: I don't know.

TV Guide: You mean if you told me, you'd have to kill me?

Tripplehorn: Exactly. I don't know.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Big Love

by Trish Wethman

June 11, 2007: Hell in a Handbasket

In TV time, it has been six weeks since the family

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Big Love

by Trish Wethman

June 18, 2007: Home Grown Family Owned

Things definitely heated up this week for the Henrickson clan. After last week

Big Love

by Trish Wethman

June 25, 2007: Family is First

The title I

I didn't think season 2 could be better than season 1, but it is. I really like seeing how the show has developed... How Marj's role in the family has taken on a deeper meaning and you see how much she's needed. I love how freaked out Nikki can be, especially now that she's been "disowned" by her family. I'm just curious to see where everything can take us because there's so much material there that it can really go any way.

What a brilliant show!

I feel the same way Elle! After last night show, I was just amazed and how much deeper the story lines are getting. Each week I feel myself going down with them, their story, that I'm breathing a little less... feels like I'm right there with them. Awesome writing/storytelling, imo. It's certainly a tough year for them and I'm not even thinking about how they're going to get out of all these situations... just taking the journey with them.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Big Love

by Trish Wethman

July 2, 2007: Viva Las Vegas

For Bill, problems are like weeds. Just when he thinks he has gotten rid of one with the video-gaming venture, another one pops up on his doorstep in the form of conniving little compound escapee Rhonda. What continues to surprise me is why Barb is so gullible when it comes to this girl. Just having her in the house is a threat to the security of the entire family, yet she seems taken in by her innocent-runaway act. Barb suggests that the families

Big Love

by Trish Wethman

Episode Recap: "Vision Thing"

Having gone to Catholic school for 16 years (yep, all the way through college) I could really sympathize with Nicky

Big Love

by Trish Wethman

Episode Recap: Dating Game

Just when I thought that there couldn

:omg: Rhonda is sooo messed up.

And, who the hell are these underground polygamists? They're straight up nasty. Did it seem like one of the henchmen was a chick?

I felt so bad for Margene (well and Anna)... she's the epitome of of Barb and Nicki together. The love and sweetness of barb and the dedication and conviction of their faith like Nicki. I did wonder though if Bill was cheating on his wives since he was kissing Anna and getting all hot and bothered.

I am so captivated by this family. Really more the women cause Bill keeps making me question his ethics but, it certainly looks like the writers are not making life easy for them thsi year.

CeCi, I'm so glad I have you to talk to about this show. None of my friends watch this show, especially not my church ones (I'm Mormon). They think the show only brings our church down. I beg to differ. I think it makes us look awesome in that it shows how real we are... not the self righteous saints that ppl tend to associate us with. I dig it!

Every episode I fall more in love with Margene. She's so friggen tender hearted and just lovely all the way around. Totally a gentle spirit. I love her innocence and purity. Nikki and Barb tend to look at her as the wild, rebellious child, but to me, she's more pure than either of them.

I was very impressed when they turned Bill's finding a 4th wife into an affair had between Ana and Marg. I thought that was so well done..and Bill's line at the end when he told Marg that it was lust when she asked what that feeling was if it wasn't love. Then she asked him, "well didn't you lust for me when we first met...how did you know that was different?" and he said, "I loved you so much that I knew it couldn't be anything but real love" or something to that affect. It was just very beautiful and special.

Like you, I feel so much for this family. I hate that little wench of a b*tch and hope Nikki somehow brings her back to Roman..not that I want a 16 yr. old child to be forced to marry an old perv, but I just can't stand her! I really do like the direction the show is going in...not so much Bill's shaddy new business under taking, but the rest..what happens between the actual family members.

Wow Elle... I was going to pull out some of your post and quote them but, dang if I wouldn't end up quoting the whole thing. :D

I especially agree with you about the scene with Margene and Bill at then end. I was so touched by those words he said to her. I find myself getting so emotional about this show because it touches me so deeply. I agree with you that it deepens the mormon faith... I too am Mormon. I'm not active in the community anymore but, we practice the religion at home. If anything this show makes me want to connect more with followers of my faith but, unfortunately I have a hard time with the church itself. (Not that I want to get into that here, just an fyi.)

I'm torn with the whole Rhonda thing because something has to be done about her but, going back to Roman is out of the question, in my mind too. I'm very interested in how the writers will deal with this situation, I just hope it's SOON!!!

Funny eh..that two mormon girls love a show about traditional Mormons...HA!

If anything, this puts a lot of the pettiness that goes on at church back in perspective. I just started going back to church after almost 10 years of being "inactive"..frig, I hate that word. Who the hell is to say how active or inactive I am? Just because I don't attend the meetings, doesn't mean I'm not still practising the gospel. Whatever though, I won't get into that because it will just make me stop going again :P But when I go I try hard to not form "friendships" with people. I find the more you become close to people, the less of yourself you are. I like having non member friends. I swear and don't feel bad about it. I don't help just people at church, I strongly believe in going outside of it to help others. There was a time in my life where when church WAS my life. All I did was go to meetings, missionary work, hang out with member friends, my callings, etc. Woosh, then to be judged by these people when certain instances happened in my life... it was hard.

I think that's why this show is so special to me. You see how good of people the Hendrecksons (sp?) .. I think that's their last name on the show) yet when people who calls themselves of God find out their life style, they're so quick to judge and shun them. It's so sad, and totally hits to the core. But by the same token, it's refreshing to see it happen from another perspective. When it's you (me) they're shunning, it's too hard to see THEIR fault in this. You just blame yourself and chalk yourself up to being less. But here in the show, when I see this family being mistreated, I see how wrong the others are.

I also see my own ignorance. I'm a convert. I didn't grow up on stories of Navoo and all that kind of church history stuff so when the concept of polygomy first came to surface..woosh. I did NOT accept it. As I came to know more of what was actually happening to cause this practise to even be instituted in the first place, my heart was softened and I did see how it made sense at the time...though it's not something I would have tolerated now.

Honestly, after seeing this show and how well it works for them, I'm all for people living in this sort of life style. I'm a huge advocate for gay rights. My best friends are gay and I totally think they should be allotted the same rights (ie marriage) as any other human being..afterall church and state are separate entities and one came into power specifically with the purpose of taking away some of that power from the church and give others (the people) more of a say. Anyhow.. what a hypocrite I've been... to say, "yay" for one group of people, but "nay" for another. So ya, it's opened my eyes. I still don't think it should be abused though, where 16 yr. olds or anyone for that matter, are being forced to marry anyone other than someone they love and have chosen.

I'm just really glad this show is on tv. It showcases well how people in abnormal living environments are totally normal.

I'm a convert too. I was in my late 20's when I was introduced and a couple years after my husband and I were married, he converted too. It's pretty ironic that shortly after my husband was baptized that I pulled away. I had just had my second child and "they" wanted every moment of our lives... I was losing any sense of myself and the pressure to be "friends" with people that didn't see the world the way I did was just too much.

Four years ago we moved to our new home and my next door neighbor's became my best friends. They are a gay male couple and I love them with all my heart. As you know, it would never be accepted by our faith/community.

There have been times after watching the show that I'm moved to testimony. Just last week I actually brought the subject of polygamy up to my husband (he doesn't watch the show) and told him if the spirit ever spoke to him about this subject... my only request is that she love to clean. tee hee

As far as the show goes... I thought that Roman was the equivalent of the Jessup clan but, after they introduced this warehouse compound I got confused. Since I am a convert I wasn't brought up knowing all the different fundamentalist groups of Mormon's that are out there... have you figured out "who" Roman is depicting and "who" this new group is supposed to be in real-life? If not that's okay... I'm just curious to correlate this to real life... just like I do when I watch Law & Order, since they use headlines to create stories.

Anyways, I'm happy that you've found a way to go to church and not have to make "friends", I wish I could do that!!!

yes, bringing hollis into the mix without a good explanation, was a bit confusing. i'm still not 100% sure what's going on there.

i am sad for margie that she lost her friend. i was really hoping that bill would take a fourth.

i'd like to smack rhonda. someone sure needs too! what a little manipulative b*tch!!!

CeCi, I use to find having that balance hard, but the older I get, the easier it is to just be me and not allow myself to be swayed. Also, having gone back as an adult seeing these people I use to think were so snobby, judgemental, and self righteous, I see more clearly how they're really not perfect. Some members are obviously still very traditional, and then there are those, others like me, who aren't afraid to ask questions and disagree with the religious "norm". I also have voiced more clearly my opinon on things, and my own journey. I don't feel pressured into going to every activity, staying for longer than sacrament meeting, or saying no to a calling. I make it very clear that I know where I'm at, where I want to be, and who I am... that some man who is called a Bishop doesn't necessarily know what's better for me than what I do.

I'm very big on individuals having their OWN revelation, and yes, I really do think it can differ greatly than the majourity or of those in positions of leadership. While prophets and bishops are there to guide the group as a whole, we require our own distinct revelation to guide ourselves. My compass may not be pointing in the same direction, I may need to take a separate path for my own growth or for the service of others (who knows why I'm being steered there), but at the end we'll arrive at the same destination.

Simply put, I think it's needed to have members like us disagree and speak for the rights and FREEDOMS of others. If you want to look at it in a missionary perspective, Christ didn't bring people into his fold by only hanging out with church goers. He brought people into his fold by simply loving them and being their friend. How do I show people they are of worth and precious in God's sight? I love them, I accept them, I don't judge them, and I'm their friend. At the end of the day, I think it's those things that make people know of God's love/word..not excluding them or shouting out against them.

Back to the show, I'm assuming Roman is depicting the current RLDS prophet. I googled it to see who it was, apparently it's some guy named W. Grant McMurray http://home.earthlink.net/~jptandy/rlds/successn.htm but there's controversy surrounding him. It's quite interesting. Or, given the fact that there's a split in the RLDS faith, maybe he's the Prophet from one of those groups that split off? He's distinct in that he's not called a leader, but a prophet so it has to be one of those two scenarios.