The Illusionist Or The Prestige?

kayo

To those of you who have seen both of these movies, I thought it would be fun to pose the question:

Which did you think was better- The Illusionist or The Prestige?

My husband and I had a big debate about it- he liked The Illusionist much more than The Prestige. Personally,I liked them both but would have to vote in favor of The Prestige. I thought The Prestige, although a much darker story, was also much more compelling and wins hands down in the acting department. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman were absolutely superb.

I will say that the cinematography in The Illusionist was excellent, and Paul Giamatti and the actor who played the duke (was he a duke? I can't even remember if that was his title!) were very good, but Edward Norton's acting was kind of blah. And the love story, which is supposed to be the main crux of the story, is only lukewarm, in my opinion. Plus, I figured most everything out way too soon...it was just too predictable for me.

So which do YOU think- The Illusionist.....or The Prestige?

Well I have seen The Prestige (great movie), and netflix is sending me The Illusionist. I almost bought Illusionist this weekend, but decided to hold off until I see it. I already have 100s and 100s of DVDs, so many I don't know exactly what movies I have, and don't have. Kind of scary when it gets to that point.

I will say that I did not guess how the how the Prestige magic tricked worked prior to the end of the movie, despite the obvious hints they dropped throughout the movie. I'm pretty sharp, so I felt the movie did excellent job at hiding the obvious.

I will add more comments after I see The Illusionist

• 4 weeks later...

The Prestige'... BY FAR!!! I enjoyed that acting in The Illusionist (Edward Norton is one of my fav.'s) but, the story, writing, acting, intrigue, etc. is just so much better in The Prestige... imo. :)

P.S. My husband almost didn't watch the prestige with me because he enjoyed the illusionist so much... well, actually he didn't at first. My dad and I watched and he was walking in and out of the room. The next day we went to pick out a movie and asked if I wouldn't mind watching prestige, again... lol. We did and he liked it much better than illusionist, too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

My vote goes to "The Illusionist". I loved the tintype tone of the film. Made it a more unique viewing experience for me.

As much as Christian Bale is a god to me, I thought The Prestige got a little too long and hard to follow in the middle. Too much going on with the whole Tesla thing. The end payoff was good, though.

i seem to have ADD, and sitting through each of these movies was uncomfortable for me (and i watched them at HOME).....the end of the Illusionist was fulfilling, however the end of the Prestige just got really complicated and my husband had to 'splain to me afterward..........oh well, not my cuppa tea

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the Prestige and in the middle of watching it again.... AWESOME ASS MOVIE!!! Didnt think it would be but I trully enjoyed it. I have the Illusionist ... havent watched it yet as I am still in shock of Prestige.

Quick quesion I have and I dont want to spoil the movie for anyone but "which one" got hung? pm me if u dont want to give it away?

• 4 months later...
i've watched both movies, and i think that the prestige is the better of the two. while both were excellent movies, the ending of the prestige really wowed me. most movies can't do that anymore, but that one really got to me. very well put together, good acting and characters. i really loved the battle between the two main characters.

I am wondering if the order I watched the movies in made a difference for me. I watched The Illusionist first. I liked it a lot. Then, I watched the Prestige (I am a Scarlett J. fan) and I really didn't like it. I found that I had figured out the twist early on in the movie--they gave so many hints out. With the Illusionist, I didn't have it all figured out and parts of the ending were a surprise. So, I'd have to say that I liked The Illusionist better, and I'm shocked because I thought I would like The Prestige better.

I saw The Prestige first and then The Illusionist and, as a whole, like The Prestige better because of the acting and compelling storyline. I do wonder though if some like one over the other based largely on whether they are fans of "happy ending" movies over darker ending ones. Normally I tend to like happy endings, but some dark-edged movies such as The Usual Suspects, The Road to Perdition or The Prestige are so well-done that they totally win me over!

On the other hand, a dark-edged movie that has a HAPPY ending-such as The Shawshank Redemption-now THOSE are the best! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

The order in which they are watched, for me, was the deal breaker. I watched the Illusionist first and felt Edward Norton was stellar. He never disappoints! So when I watched the Prestige, I thought it was good but predictable. Blah.

kayo, after seeing them both, I give the slight edge to The Prestige for simular reason you stated. Bale, Jackman. But I am also a huge fan of Ed Norton, so it is pretty close call. Really doesn't matter because bought them both.