Survivor

Dade

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: OUR TAKE

The CEO Has Spoken: CBS Orders More Survivor

This just in from CBS:

"CBS has ordered two more editions of Survivor, to be broadcast during the 2007-2008 season. These will mark the 15th and 16th editions of television's longest-running hit reality series."

Conspicuously not addressed in the press release is talk that edition following Survivor: Fiji will be "Survivor: The Grey's Anatomy Set."

Posted by Matt Mitovich 01/17/07 4:08 PM

I found this over on the slug... It does have some spoilerish stuff so read with caution...

01107survive.jpg

Nineteen castaways?! Two Hidden Immunity Idols?! Luxurious campsite?! What the heck is going on with the next season of "Survivor"!? (At least they're not dividing the tribes by race again.) The Slug called Jeff Probst for every detail we could squeeze out of him about the Fiji-set edition of the CBS show, premiereing Feb. 8. (And if you want to find out where those two Hidden Immunity Idols are hidden, you'll have to listen to our asap podcast.) The Q&A, after the jump. Unless you don't want to be spoiled. At all.

The Slug: First, let's review. Now that it's over and done, what did you think about "Cook Islands?"

Jeff Probst: I feel the same way now I felt about "Cook Islands" the second I felt after we finished the season, which was it was one of the five best seasons we've ever done. And I still feel that way. It was interesting to watch the arc that started with all this outrageous reaction to this idea we had and then quickly followed by "Oh! They bailed on it two weeks in!" followed by "This season isn't really that good. It's really boring." followed by "Oh my God! What a great ending! This is one of my favorite seasons ever!"

That's how it felt for me out there. Those emotions are the same emotions I felt. I wish we hadn't bailed as early as we did. The middle of the show waned a little bit. And the second we had the mutiny and we were down to a tribe of four, which were clear underdogs, it just kicked into high gear.

It finished very strong. If you're a fan of "Survivor," it had one of the best Tribal Council votes we ever had, two very likable, deserving people and one person won by one vote. And you could even trace that vote back to a move they made in the game and how they got that winning vote.

The Slug: Any regrets about the racial divide?

Jeff Probst: Zero. None. None! I'm glad it got people talking, if only for a moment. Personally, I'm happy that our show is more ethnically diverse. It's more fun. It's more interesting. So whatever road it took to get there, I think it's been good. And as a result, we had a much more interesting group in the "Cook Islands" and once again in "Fiji." We have a more interesting group just due to diversity and coming from different worlds.

The Slug: Now there was some criticism about your influence during "Cook Islands," specifically when you pointed out Yul brought Jonathan his hat to Tribal Council. When is too much, you know, too much?

Jeff Probst: It's a fine line I walk. The line is being a moderator on the show and being an instigator. That fine line is when you start influencing the game too much. It's always a judgment call. It's never really any formal discussion about it. We all know that line. There's a lot of trust in me to not step over it. I'm sure at times I do, and I have. I'm sure there are times when I've been too heavy handed or hard on somebody. I usually can justify it in my head.

There was a time in the Cook Islands when Yul had skated through Tribal Council after Tribal Council and never really got hammered on anything. There was a point where he had revealed he had the Idol, he had revealed he was in control of the game and after that.

At the next Tribal Council, I felt like there were certain questions the audience was gonna want to know, which was "Why would you let a guy rule the game like this, have the Idol, let him tell you he has the Idol, let him tell you he's in control of the game and not try to stop it? Are you just gonna let him waltz to the finish line?" And Yul got upset. He's like, "Jeff, why are you picking on me?" And I said, "Yul, you've had a free pass for the last several Tribal Councils. I'm saying everything that everybody's thinking." So that's how I look at it.

The Slug: How do you try to top yourselves for "Fiji"? What was the creative process?

Jeff Probst: Imagine a group of eight or nine people and

Wonderful stuff- thanks, Yana!! How are you feeling, by the way?

Getting better each day Thanks... I am a little worried since going back for my post op appointment... My Doctor told me that I now have bone on bone in my knee and he is going to try some new kind of injections and if they don't work I am going to have to have knee replacement... On topic... I can't wait for this next season... It it strange that someone quit the show before they even started...

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name