Who Wants To Be A Superhero 2

Dade

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

SciFi casting superheros for Who Wants to be a Superhero 2; production starts in March

Stan Lee will return to read awkwardly off a teleprompter for a second season of Who Wants to be a Superhero, and that means he needs more wannabe superheros.

The show wants

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Who Wants To Be A Superhero Allowing Viewers To Vote For Final Contestant Spot

As the nationwide casting call for the second season of SCI FI Channel's hit reality series Who Wants to Be a Superhero? comes to a close, one contestant spot remains unfilled! Like last season, when, for the first time ever, America was able to select a reality show contestant, SCI FI Channel and SCIFI.COM open the polls again with three new superhero hopefuls vying for your vote to fulfill a dream. Log onto SCIFI.COM (www.scifi.com/superhero) from 11:00AM (EST) on Friday, March 31, 2007 through 11:00AM (EST) April 5, 2006 to vote for "Ominicron," "Rift" or "Thorn!" The new season of Who Wants to Be a Superhero? is scheduled to premiere in July.

Expect more thrills, bigger challenges and even more episodes this season as once again SCI FI Channel partners with legendary comic book creator Stan Lee's production company POW! Entertainment, Inc., and Bruce Nash's Nash Entertainment (Meet My Folks, For Love or Money, Who Wants to Marry My Dad?) the eight-episode series that challenges a lucky few to create their very own superhero.

The three finalists vying for the remaining contestant spot are: time-tripping "Rift," whose super powers include the ability to make sounds that open rifts in time; the all-knowing "Omnicron" whose advanced telepathic mind allows him to predict the future; and thunderous "Thorn" with his super strength, ability to fly and project energy at will. Not sure who to vote for? Log on to SCIFI.COM or www.whowantstobeasuperhero.com and watch the finalists' audition videos and listen to their all-important catchphrases! The finalist with the most votes will become a contestant on Who Wants to Be a Superhero?

Remember, auditioning superheroes will need to prove their mettle

• 2 months later...

Shocker Toys To Do Who Wants To Be A Superhero Action Figures

Shocker Toys is adding the winner of SCI FI's first season of "Who Wants To Be a Superhero?" to its popular Indie Spotlight Series One, it was announced today. In addition to Feedback, the current winner, the special set will also feature Major Victory and Fat Momma. The winner of season two, which premieres July 26 at 9PM ET/PT on SCI FI, will also be awarded their very own comic figure. "Who Wants to Be A Superhero?," is hosted and judged by the legendary comic book creator, Stan Lee.

Shocker Toys company head Geoff Beckett remarked, "As a fan of 'Who Wants to be a Superhero?' on SCI FI, I'm excited to be working closely with the creators of the show to create this action figure line in a way that celebrates the true spirit of superheroes."

In "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?," comic book legend Stan Lee searches for America's next great superhero. The show challenges a lucky few to create their very own superhero alter ego, live together in a secret lair under Stan's watchful eye and compete in challenges that test their mettle and all the virtues of a true superhero.

New York, Buffalo based Shocker Toys LLP, was founded by Geoff Beckett and Lance Buttiglieri, as new designers in the toy industry, in 2000. Shocker Toys also welcomes into its folds Daniel Xavier Flores and Christopher Gawrych. The company's current roster includes Indie Spotlight 6-7" independent comic book action figures, 3" Customizable Shockinis, 3" Indie Spotlight Shockinis and 7" GWAR action figures. For more product and licensing information visit the Company's website: www.shockertoys.com.

Posted by Joe Reality on June 19, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Courtesy of: RELAITY TV MAGAZINE

Who Wants To Be A Superhero Second Season Cast Revealed

SCI FI Channel's hit reality series WHO WANTS TO BE A SUPERHERO? from Nash Entertainment and POW! Entertainment Inc., returns for its second season on Thursday, July 26 at 9:PM ET/PT. The new season features an all-new league of 10 superhero contestants, exciting new physical challenges, a few fiendish villains, and two more episodes than last year

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Who Wants To Be a Superhero?

by Adam Schubak

Episode Recap: Season 2 Premiere

I feel the need to start out this blog by admitting that I had pretty much written this show off after its series premiere last season. I just didn't get it. Right out of the gate, with heroes named Monkey Woman and Fat Momma, it seemed as though they cast anyone who bothered showing up for the auditions (I had a similar impression of VH1's The White Rapper Show... but that's a whole other blog in itself). Nonetheless, when I started seeing the ads for the new season, I decided to give it another whirl. I gotta say, I kinda liked it.

To start, I was pretty happy they only gave us a brief glimpse at the audition process. I can only imagine the characters that these open auditions could have attracted. I found Homeless Man, Cosmic Bitch and the guy who has the power to really annoy his enemies to be the best of the worst. And I'm pretty sure I saw Monkey Woman's brother somewhere in the mix. After only about five minutes, they jumped right into the game and introduced us to this season's picks. Ms. Limelight, Mindset, Hygena, The Defuser, Basura, Mr. Mitzvah, Parthenon, Braid, Hyper-Strike and Whip-Snap.

Being a police officer and all, I'd say The Defuser has a slight advantage going into the competition. The script for that sci-fi original movie practically writes itself with this guy. I'd say the same for Whip-Snap (a security officer by day) but she literally buckled under the pressure in the first competition. However, Basura would have to be my favorite. She definitely has the female MacGyver thing going on. Plus, she's down with that whole "going green" trend by recycling items she finds in the trash and using them as crime-fighting tools. She even taught us all a bit of Spanish: Basura means trash!

Sure, the special effects are cheesy and Stan Lee's attempt to punk the competitors was pretty lame. I think the reactions of the heroes looked more natural here than Jessica Alba in either of the Fantastic Four movies. We had tears from two people in just the first episode! It was funny to watch most of the heroes ignore the blatantly staged actions around them in that final test. In the end though, Braid was the first hero eliminated. She was so chatty trying to sell her gimmick to the warehouse owner that she forgot her purpose for the mission. That pretty much wrapped up the first hour of the new season.

I leave you this week with my early prediction for the final 3: Hyper-Strike, The Defuser and Basura (obviously.)

Posted by Adam Schubak 07/27/07 1:03 AM

by Adam Schubak

Episode Recap: Season 2 Premiere

I feel the need to start out this blog by admitting that I had pretty much written this show off after its series premiere last season. I just didn't get it. Right out of the gate, with heroes named Monkey Woman and Fat Momma, it seemed as though they cast anyone who bothered showing up for the auditions (I had a similar impression of VH1's The White Rapper Show... but that's a whole other blog in itself). Nonetheless, when I started seeing the ads for the new season, I decided to give it another whirl. I gotta say, I kinda liked it.

To start, I was pretty happy they only gave us a brief glimpse at the audition process. I can only imagine the characters that these open auditions could have attracted. I found Homeless Man, Cosmic Bitch and the guy who has the power to really annoy his enemies to be the best of the worst. And I'm pretty sure I saw Monkey Woman's brother somewhere in the mix. After only about five minutes, they jumped right into the game and introduced us to this season's picks. Ms. Limelight, Mindset, Hygena, The Defuser, Basura, Mr. Mitzvah, Parthenon, Braid, Hyper-Strike and Whip-Snap.

Being a police officer and all, I'd say The Defuser has a slight advantage going into the competition. The script for that sci-fi original movie practically writes itself with this guy. I'd say the same for Whip-Snap (a security officer by day) but she literally buckled under the pressure in the first competition. However, Basura would have to be my favorite. She definitely has the female MacGyver thing going on. Plus, she's down with that whole "going green" trend by recycling items she finds in the trash and using them as crime-fighting tools. She even taught us all a bit of Spanish: Basura means trash!

Sure, the special effects are cheesy and Stan Lee's attempt to punk the competitors was pretty lame. I think the reactions of the heroes looked more natural here than Jessica Alba in either of the Fantastic Four movies. We had tears from two people in just the first episode! It was funny to watch most of the heroes ignore the blatantly staged actions around them in that final test. In the end though, Braid was the first hero eliminated. She was so chatty trying to sell her gimmick to the warehouse owner that she forgot her purpose for the mission. That pretty much wrapped up the first hour of the new season.

I leave you this week with my early prediction for the final 3: Hyper-Strike, The Defuser and Basura (obviously.)

Posted by Adam Schubak 07/27/07 1:03 AM

Episode 2 Recap

This week's episode of Who Wants to Be a Superhero picked up exactly where last week's left off. The heroes reacted to the loss of Braid, and it was abundantly clear to everyone that the game was officially under way. Some of the heroes examined their own performances in the first competition to see where they needed improvement, while others tried to offer their fellow cast members a little advice.

Initially, The Defuser's advice to Ms. Limelight was pretty useful and may have actually helped her in future tasks, but the friendly advice was quickly overshadowed by Mindset's personal attack on her intelligence. For someone whose only ability is to use his mind to get out of sticky situations, Mindset really should not have called out Ms. Limelight for not being the sharpest tool in the shed. First off, did he not recall Stan Lee's comment about monitoring the heroes at all times? Surely he would not approve of Mindset bringing another crime fighter to tears. Also, if he's so intelligent, why couldn't he remember to pick up the key in the first competition or step up and figure out the trick in the spelling bee in this week's test?

After a seemingly pointless spelling bee hosted by this week's villain, the show decided to take a page from the book of Tyra and go all America's Next Top Model on us. That's right... time for makeovers! First Stan Lee helped the heroes flesh out the details of their backstories and then sent them to be outfitted with new costumes. And just like on Top Model, there was even a hero who wasn't happy with his new look. Personally, I don't think Hyper-Strike's costume looked too bad, but to each his own I guess. When the heroes were called up to the roof for another elimination, I was hoping to see either Mr. Mitzvah, Mindset or Ms. Limelight sent home and was happy to find that Stan Lee felt the same way. None of them have what it takes to make a very exciting movie or carry their own comic book. So after the second elimination, Mindset was the next hero sent home. Maybe next time he'll use his power to think before he opens his mouth.

Posted by Adam Schubak 08/2/07 11:05 PM

by Adam Schubak

Episode 3 Recap

It was a huge week on Who Wants To Be a Superhero. Stan Lee jumped right in by introducing the heroes to their latest challenge. The gang was sent off to a Six Flags amusement park to go up against their newest foe, Dr. Dark. Upon their arrival, Dr. Dark informed the group they'd be split into teams in an attempt to figure out who is a hero and who is destined to live in the shadows as a sidekick. Separated into teams of 2, each team was forced to face their fears and ride on what appeared to be some of the countries biggest, baddest coasters.

At the start of the challenge, all seemed to be going well and each team was working together to find the clues that would unlock the doors to Dr. Dark's lair. Although I've been able to take Mr. Mitzvah's kvetching (that's complaining for those of you who haven't been exposed to enough Yiddish slang) until now, the fact that he supposedly injured himself just running to grab the clue put me over the top. What a whimp? Then, just to dig the hole deeper for himself, he refused to help Hyper-Strike by riding the coaster and keeping an eye out for the rest of the clues. He officially offended me as a Jew and I was even starting to suspect he's been playing up the accent a bit. By the end of the challenge, the Basura/Parthenon combo seemed to do the best by finding all of their clues. However, they quickly lost their edge by stopping for some glamor shots with a couple of fans. Despite the success of Basura and Parthenon in solving the puzzle, I was most proud of Ms. Limelight for taking into account her previous failures and facing her fear of roller coasters for the greater good of the team. This is what being a hero is all about.

Upon returning to their hideout, the heroes learned there may be a traitor among them. In an attempt to figure out who it could be, Stan Lee asked the heroes to rate their own and each others performance during the mission. When they all started trash-talking Mr. Mitzvah...though I'm not a fan...I was totally with Parthenon in believing they should confront him directly rather then gossip behind his back. After the bitch-fest, Stan Lee exposed what the group said about each other. It was no surprise that all of the heroes felt they could have done better in the challenge (who wants an arrogant superhero?) and apparently the consensus was that Whip-Snap and Mr. Mitzvah aren't cut out to be heroes.

By the end of hour 3, it was revealed that there was actually no mole in the bunch (shocker!) and that Mr. Mitzvah was going home. The real surprise came though when it was decided that Ms. Limelight would also be sent packing. Despite not having much potential to be a real hero, this was the first week she started to show the slightest bit of improvement. I was a little disappointed but also glad that the real competition could begin. It seems to me that each player that remains in the game shows promise to make a good comic-book character . However, my spidey-sense is telling me that either Whip-Snap or Hyper-Strike will be the next to go.

Posted by Adam Schubak 08/10/07 10:17 AM

by Adam Schubak

Episode 4 Recap

After two heroes were sent home last week on Who Wants to Be a Superhero, I thought the remaining crew would have some downtime before being thrown right into another sticky situation. However, immediately following the elimination, the heroes came home to find that their secret identities and some other important household items had been taken.

As soon as the heroes began to search through their trashed home, two of them wasted no time in being the first to annoy me this week. Even though the Defuser is a cop, his take-charge attitude in assessing the mess in the house was totally unnecessary. We get it. Your prior training as a police officer has prepared you to handle a situation just like this but really... was it really a mystery who stole the identities? Did he really think he'd be calling in his crew to dust for fingerprints?

On a similar note (yet again) Whip-Snap became overly emotional upon discovering that her belongings had been ransacked. I just don't get what she's all about. Her excessive waterworks make Ms. Limelight look like Wonder Woman. I was starting to think Stan Lee made the wrong decision with the last elimination. There hasn't been a single episode where she hasn't broken down. And in this episode, her trashed stuff made her question whether she should remain in the competition, and her excuse seemed to be that all of the other heroes have someone to go home to at the end of the show. What nonsense?! Has she never heard of Batman? Wolverine? Some of the best superheroes of all time have been loners.

Moving on... In order to find Dr. Dark's accomplice, who stole their secret identities, the heroes needed to go undercover and find people willing to give up articles of clothing that the group could use as disguises. During this mission, Stan Lee placed a distraction in the form of a mother frantically searching for her child to test who would stop to help. Unfortunately, the only one to fail this mission was Basura. It seems that she keeps falling for these little tricks. In Week 1 she (along with most of the others) missed the chance to save the lost dog. In Week 2 she tried to fix her previous error of judgment and stopped to pose for pictures with fans. That time it was nothing more than a distraction from the real mission at hand. This week she just wasn't going to fall for it again but it backfired on her once again. She just can't catch a break!

Following the mission the heroes were treated to a little surprise. Their comic-book covers were unveiled and they all looked pretty damn good. I thought the weakest of the bunch was the Defuser. With Parthenon being pictured tearing down marble columns and Basura looking all seductive and dangerous, they could have done a lot better than depicting the Defuser just sitting on a pile of criminals. As if having a lousy cover wasn't bad enough, the Defuser really started digging a ditch for himself in the second half of the episode. Not only did he openly criticize his fellow heroes but he couldn't even fake being happy for Hygena when she won the right to call her husband courtesy of Parthenon. That's just immature. Based on what I've seen on this show, I would never want to deal with this guy when he's on duty.

Nonetheless, when it came time to send another hero home, Stan Lee decided to put Basura out to the curb. This is the first week where I completely disagreed with his decision. Yeah, she's screwed up on a few occasions in only a short time, but at least she's not a total [insert expletive here]. The Defuser really strikes me more as a villain than a hero as the weeks go on.

Posted by Adam Schubak 08/16/07 10:56 PM

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

by Adam Schubak

Episode 5 Recap: Tunnel of Fears

Who Wants to Be a Superhero? Apparently not Whip-Snap! Well, she probably wanted to be one at some point when she decided to audition for this show but as soon as the cameras started rolling so did the water-works. I don

by Adam Schubak

Episode 6 Recap

With only four heroes left in the competition, this week's Who Wants to Be a Superhero kicked things into high gear by introducing us to evil Stan. Using DNA lifted from the pencil he stole from the heroes' lair a few episodes back, Dr. Dark was able to create an evil clone of the big boss man and used him to direct the heroes right into his little trap.

Before Dr. Dark was ready to fully set his nefarious plan into motion, the real Stan (Thanks technogeek!) sent the remaining players off on yet another adventure. He instructed the group to find their way to an elementary school to work with a fourth-grade class and crack a code to find out where their next stop would be. Each hero seemed to take a different approach to this task. Both Parthenon and the Defuser pretended to listen to their group and then "suggested" what they already knew to be the correct answers. Hygena allowed her students to provide the answers but knowingly accepted wrong answers, thus wasting precious time. The only person to really handle this situation the right way was Hyper-strike, proving himself worthy of making it into the final three by not only listening to his group but also teaching them something in the process. When the heroes finally cracked the code, they made their way to the next destination... the city park.

Although confused as to why they were sent to a seemingly peaceful place, the group blindly followed their leader and were subjected to a series of pointless assignments, which included asking a stranger for a sip of his water, borrowing a pair of women's sunglasses, and stepping out into the street to stop traffic. Slowly but surely, the heroes began to realize that, as Mr. Mitzvah would say, something just wasn't kosher. After making fools of the heroes for long enough, Dr. Dark decided it was time for Phase 2 of his plan and had evil Stan send the final four to a shipping container down at the warehouse.

Upon their arrival at the final destination, Dr. Dark sealed the group in the container, leaving them no way of escaping aside from gathering random objects littered on the floor. Conveniently enough, there was also a crowbar lying on the ground a few feet outside of the box. The Defuser played it cool this time around and decided let his teammates figure out the solution after repeatedly being told by Stan Lee and the other heroes that he is too bossy when he tries to take on the leadership role. Stepping up in his place was Parthenon, which wasn't the greatest decision for him, considering his performance in the classroom. Working together and thinking as a group, the gang got it together and freed themselves from Dr. Dark's trap.

After a tiring day out in the field, the four remaining heroes returned to the secret hideaway and assessed each others' performances in the day's tasks. Hygena was called out for being the weakest player and Parthenon was called out for being too pushy. As stated in my blog last week, I was fully prepared to bid adieu to Hygena in this week's show, but in a shocking turn of events, Stan Lee sent Parthenon packing due to his unheroic actions in the classroom. I agree that Parthenon really screwed that one up, but come on... would anyone actually read a comic book featuring a hero who has the power to clean really well? With Parthenon out of the running, I'm all about Hyper-strike taking the crown in next week's season finale.

Posted by Adam Schubak 08/30/07 11:57 PM

Courtesy of; REALITYBLURRED

The Defuser, Jarrett Crippen, wins Who Wants to be a Superhero 2

The Defuser, aka Jarrett Crippen, defeated Hygenia (Melody Mooney) and Hyper-Strike (aka John Stork) to win Who Wants to be a Superhero 2.

While Hyper-Strike

Who Wants To Be A Superhero 2 Winner Is The Defuser

the_defuser.jpg

The second season of