You're The One That I Want

CeCiMom

I'm really looking forward to this one. Not sure if I want to admit it yet... LOL Buuut, I have such fond memories from when the original Grease hit the theaters. Me and my girlfriends would re-enact this movie at every sleep-over. :P So I hope it's as good as I'm hoping it will be

This is an NBC production, 8:00 pm EST, Friday nights.

There's a special engagement premiere on January 7th (Sunday) for 90 minutes at 8:00 pm EST.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: NBC UNIVERSAL MEDIA VILLAGE

OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN -- MULTI GRAMMY-AWARD WINNER AND BELOVED 'SANDY' FROM MOVIE MUSICAL 'GREASE' -- TO GUEST STAR IN NBC'S NEW TALENT COMPETITION SERIES 'GREASE: YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT' PREMIERING SUNDAY, JANUARY 7

Published: December 31, 2006

NUP_104182_0839.JPG

BURBANK, Calif.

This will either be a huge hit or a total mess of a show...and still a hit!

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

NBC's Grease Contest Raises the Reality-TV Stakes

by Raven Snook

070105interview5.jpg

Grease: You're the One That I Want

If you think Broadway and reality TV go together like "rama-lama-lama, ke-ding-a-de-ding-a-dong," NBC's Grease: You're the One That I Want, which debuts Sunday, Jan. 7, at 8 pm/ET, will have you singing and dancing in the bleachers. Produced by the folks behind Dancing with the Stars, the series stages an intense search for two unknowns to front an in-the-works Broadway production of Grease, playing bad boy Danny Zuko and virginal Sandy Dumbrowski (played in the film by Olivia Newton-John, who will be a guest on the first two episodes). A trio of judges

I watched and boy did it suck. I'm really not a fan of talent reality shows, but since it was Grease I thought I would give it a look. I'll probably watch when the audition portion is done and all the people have moved into the Grease Academy. Some of those people seemed so contrived that it's almost unbelievable.

Also Billy Bush is just an obnoxious ____head! This show really isn't looking good right now but I'll see....

I felt the same way... but, not only about Billy Bush, the whole show seemed contrived to me. I could only take about 1/2 hour of it. I'll give it another chance in a few weeks, after they've narrowed it down to the 12 finalists. (maybe)

It's just trying to be a copycat of American Idol....what with a bad singer audition that looked set up, annoying judges and an even more annoying Billy Bush, It'll be amazing if this show doesn't get cancelled before making it to the final twelve. I'll check back in if it does...

I have to agree-----I had hopes they could make a good show out of this, but it's not close to being that. It has a cloying, annoying host that's on camera more than anyone else, the contestants don't seem interesting, the only interesting part of the show was the judges comments.

That one dude near the end with the amazing range should have saved his talents for AI.

They're trying to use the same format as AI, except instead of going to Hollywood, they're going to Grease Academy.

I was wondering why any producer worth his salt would sink money into a show where the leads are picked by laypeople rather than by professionals, but when they use the professionals as judges, you can be pretty sure that the final 12 or whatever will all be capable, at least.

Yes it is identical to Idol, somewhat disappointing. I will give it another chance, to see if the overall quality of the show gets better. I do like the fact, that they will be singing and dancing.

Over all rating as far as the show goes I give it a D. :animated_scratchchin:

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Let me start off with a self-interested, rhetorical question: Why couldn't this be a search for the next Rizzo? If it were, I wouldn't be blogging about the show; I'd be trying out for it! As a big belting babe, Rizzo is one of my dream roles (along with Mama Rose and Mame, natch). All zaftig gals want to be Rizzo, which explains why the two plus-size gals

This rip off of American Idol is very very bad, and I'm not even a fan American Idol. I strongly dislike the "America's Funniest Home Videos" production style including the same dreadful Home Video voice over.

"You're not Sandy".... If I recall the story behind Trump's "You're fired", it wasn't a manufactured gimmick; it just happened and it caught fire because it was original and the timing was right.

I tried to make it through the entire 1st 90 minute episode, but finally pressed "stop" on my TiVo after 74 minutes because I just couldn't hack it any longer; it just wasn't getting any better. My guess is that NBC will pull the plug on this one pretty quickly. I could be dead wrong because I would never have given American Idol a chance either.

Opps, I didn't see the thread, but the one of the forum's admin cleaned things ups and move my comments here.

I am giving it three airings before NBC takes it off the air. Maybe they push the unaired episodes to the web or iTunes, but I even doubt the ratings would warrant that much effort. There have been other bad reality shows that were allowed to run a full season, and even renewed to a second season (Tempation Island, Joe Millionaire, The Contender... and they were BAD!!!), but I think the networks aren't as interested in any reality show that doesn't attract big numbers right from the start.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

by Raven Snook

January 7, 2007: Back to High School

Let me start off with a self-interested, rhetorical question: Why couldn't this be a search for the next Rizzo? If it were, I wouldn't be blogging about the show; I'd be trying out for it! As a big belting babe, Rizzo is one of my dream roles (along with Mama Rose and Mame, natch). All zaftig gals want to be Rizzo, which explains why the two plus-size gals

Wow... what a shocker. Everybody is filling this thread with posts after the second episode. Where are all the AI fans? Doesn't this show measure up?

The second show was slightly better; it was 30 minutes shorter. I'd expect that NBC might pull the show after next week, but we'll see. NBC might have committed themselves to running the show a full half dozen as paid infomercial by the Grease producers.

I think the concept of the show is good, but the drama is all fluff. Why not show the true lives behind the people who trying to make it to broadway. Edited it like survivor; wait until the final two are picked, then edit the footage into episodes so it builds to an interesting climax....

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

by Raven Snook

January 21, 2007: The Final 12?

Thank god the casting specials are over. As I said before, I love the freak show American Idol offers up, but as far as I'm concerned, Grease should have just cut to the real competition. While I still had issues with this episode (can they just stop trying to make David Ian out to be the villain? We know he's British, but I think Jim Jacobs is really much nastier) and all the false drama bugs me (pitting that plain brunette Cara opposite her "competition," statuesque blonde Ashley), I know those are just reality show clich

I've hung in here with this one... the good and the bad.

Curious about what will happen when the TV audience is allowed to vote (but, I guess we know how that goes)... lol

So far it looks like there's a lot more Sandy's than Danny's.

and PLEASE.... let them be done saying 'You're the one that we want'.... it's getting on my last nerve :bash:

• 9 months later...