Dominic Monaghan as Charlie

Jem

Dominic Monaghan as Charlie

lost1.jpg

Dominic Monaghan is best known for his portrayal of the Hobbit, Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck, in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Monaghan can soon be seen in writer-director Rebecca Cook's dark psychological drama, Shooting Livien. Next up for Monaghan is Chris Atkins' The Purifiers, and Spivs, a heist film.

Monaghan was born in Berlin and grew up in Manchester, England. He is an active environmentalist and enjoys the outdoors, monkeys, insects and football (U.S. Soccer), particularly Manchester United.

He currently resides in Los Angeles with his pet black widow spider and her babies.

• 1 month later...

MONAGHAN SAYS FAREWELL TO CHAMELEON PETS

THE LORD OF THE RINGS star DOMINIC MONAGHAN has set his two chameleons, KARMA and GELB, free as part of a fond farewell to them in Hawaii. The lizard-loving actor, who has also had black widow spiders and Madagascan hissing cockroaches as pets, picked up the chameleons when he first arrived on Hawaii to shoot hit US drama LOST.

And, after filming the last episode recently, he decided it was time to let his reptiles go. He says, "They live in Hawaii, they were introduced about 20 years ago and they flourished there, so I let those guys go the last day that I was working, which was kinda sad but nice. "I kinda felt like my kind of story in their life was done and they went to do their own thing now - so that was nice."

"Lost" knew exactly what it was doing when it cast DOMINIC MONAGHAN as one of the survivors of the series' plane crash. Who better than a self-admitted lover of bugs to try to make a life on the lush tropical island that is the setting for the hit ABC series? Read on for more!

(provided by ET Online)

Website below:

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/2005/04/20/domin...cmonaghan_lost/

"I'm a fan of bugs," confesses the actor who plays Charlie, the rocker from the one-hit-wonder band Drive Shaft. "I'm a fan of wild animals in general. I had snakes and lizards when I was a kid and would go out and catch insects and bugs. I do sound like a geek, don't I?"

While Dominic may sound like a geek, he did star in three of the coolest movies that ever hit the big screen: 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy, playing the endearing Hobbit Merry.

"I spent the last two or three years of my life trying to move away from playing cute, cuddly, Mogwai-type characters," he shares. "The character I played in 'LOTR' is something that I am going to take with me the rest of my life and it was an amazing experience. It kind of defines me as a person, but as an actor, what I need to do is keep showing the audience I can do something new."

And Charlie is definitely very different. He is a modern-day character, living in the real world. He has edge and angst, and the character started with a serious drug problem. Still, after three years filming as a Hobbit in New Zealand, you'd think Dominic wouldn't want to sign on the dotted line for a TV series that looks as if it will run a full seven years.

"If the material is good, I am going to run with it," the German-born English actor says. "I think with a big ensemble cast like this, I think I am going to have time off to go surfing in Maui."

From a red carpet interview with E!

Dominic Monaghan (Charlie)

Are screaming fans like this old hat to you?

Well, we did have some of that for Lord of the Rings. It's always good connecting with the people who pay your wages, because then I can make sense of my job a little more.

So, what's up with you and Claire?

I don't know if it will fully blossom. I keep asking the writers, and they're like, "You know, right now we got something really good going on. It's a very sweet, kind, nurturing kind of friendship. If you guys start making out behind palm trees, it might get a little dirty."

I'm all for that. I want the palm trees rockin'.

Really? Dirty Charlie? Dirty Claire? I think Charlie could be dirty, but not Claire. I'm leaving that more to Shannon and Sayid. You know, kind of that older man corrupting that young woman. It's like Salman Rushdie and Paris Hilton.

• 3 months later...

nw_a_btop_entertainment_m10.gif

Sept. 12, 2005 issue - Q&A: Dominic Monaghan

Dominic Monaghan went from being a hobbit in "The Lord of the Rings" to a stranded rock star on ABC's "Lost," which comes out on DVD this week. Monaghan spoke to NEWSWEEK's Ramin Setoodeh.

This is the fifth time I've called. What were you doing?

I was surfing. [Murmuring in the background.]

Now it sounds like you're signing autographs.

Yeah. I'm in a DVD store.

Are you at least getting a discount?

Let me ask. The guy on the phone wants to know if you guys give me a discount. Now they're, like, flailing. She gave me $2 off on each DVD.

That's not very much.

I'm trying to be a nice guy. I can't scream at them. They're both very attractive women, so I can't say anything.

I want to know about the hatch on "Lost."

I don't know if I'm obliged to tell you. This show is such a crazy gamble

• 3 weeks later...

THANKS FOR SHARING: In the unlikely event you get an invitation to the set of "Lost," you might want to pause for a second before saying yes. "Obviously, the characters have no real showering system on the island," said Dominic Monaghan, who plays Charlie. "I think I've only changed [clothing], like, three times on the island. We're stinky, but we live with it. It's part of the charm of the 'Lost' cast. You bring visitors on set, and they're very excited to see everyone - until they get within three or four feet. Then they realize we all stink."

Source

• 2 weeks later...

'LOST' IN LOVE

October 5, 2005 -- 'LOST" stars Dominc Monaghan and Evangeline Lilly keep insisting they are not an item.

A photo - taken a few days ago at a shopping mall in Hawaii - shows the couple doing a real bad job of keeping their affair a secret.

Dominic, the former Hobbitt from the "Lord of the Rings" movies who plays Charlie, the druggie rock star, has been fending off questions about Evangeline - who plays Kate, the cute convict, on the series - since the end of last season.

"I'm not saying yes or no, and you'd get the same answer from Evangeline," he said just before the new season began. "Whether it's true or not true, isn't that our business?"

Well, yeah, Dominic. But not when you do your "business" in the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Monaghan Gets Into Trouble Over Funny License

THE LORD OF THE RINGS and LOST star DOMINIC MONAGHAN's California driving licence keeps getting him into trouble - because he insisted on beaming when he had his photograph taken for it.

The actor has been pulled over twice for speeding recently in Hawaii - where he's shooting hit TV series LOST - and police don't take kindly to his quirky ID.

He says, "I was pulled over twice in Hawaii and they don't appreciate it too much.

"He (police officer) said, 'What's all this about?' and I said, 'That's my smile.' He kinda said, 'Is this a joke? You think this is a joke?' and I said, 'No, it's very serious, it's gonna cost me money.'

"They don't appreciate you having fun too much. It's a bummer."

Source - Contactmusic.com

• 3 months later...

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Dominic Monaghan Has the Dope on Lost

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060125insider1.jpg

Dominic Monaghan, Lost

This week's Lost (airing at 9pm/ET on ABC, for the 108 of you who don't know) focuses its attention on Charlie, whom Claire and some others (but not those Others) suspect may be chasing the dragon... sampling the smack... riding the H train... OK, I've run out of euphemisms (and even made up that last one, I think). But is DriveSHAFT's bass player actually back with the brown sugar? TVGuide.com went to Dominic Monaghan for the inside dope.

TVGuide.com: Regarding this week's episode, "Fire + Water," I imagine you must have been excited to tap back into Charlie's sad little past. It's been a while for you.

Dominic Monaghan: It has been a while. This season has been, in a sense, about change, in terms of the format, in terms of how they've told the story, and that's been a little adjustment for me. I'm good friends with [Lost cocreator] Damon Lindelof, and I had a conversation with him in which I asked, "What's going on? What's the deal this year?" He said, "We've got a lot of stories to tell that don't necessarily concern your character

• 2 months later...

Dominic Monaghan: Lost Hobbit

Interview by Scott Juba

Published: April 3, 2006

Dominic Monaghan received international attention for his work in the

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Dominic Monaghan a Metrosexual

Courtesy of Starpulse.com

Actor Dominic Monaghan believes he should have been a homosexual - because he loves make-up, painting his nails and wearing skirts.In fact he freely admits to being a

• 3 months later...

:shocking::o:scared::(:down::cry::crybaby::sadwalk:

Not Charlie!!!

Sorry, Charlie: Lost Star Wanted to "Die" a Hero

by Shawna Malcom

Lost's mind-blowing third-season finale raised a million questions. Among them: Jack and Kate get off the island?! Who's in the casket?! Are flash-forwards the new flashbacks?! Fans will have to wait until next winter

• 8 months later...

Dominic Monaghan cast in Wolverine

Source: Variety

Dominic Monaghan has been cast in 20th Century Fox's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which Gavin Hood (Tsotsi) is directing from a David Benioff screenplay. The former Lost and Lord of the Rings star will play Barnell, a mysterious character from Wolverine's past with the ability to manipulate energy and electricity. Daniel Henney (My Father) has also just been cast as Agent Zero, a member of the Weapon X program and an expert tracker with lethal marksman skills. Wolverine, which stars Hugh Jackman in the title role, is set 17 years before the X-Men movies, and explores the origins of the Marvel Comics mutant superhero. Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Taylor Kitsch, will.i.am, Lynn Collins, and Ryan Reynolds are also on board. Shooting is underway for a May 1, 2009 release. (Variety)