Happy Feet

WickedOne

It's grand finale' was a half hours worth of propaganda!If I want beaten over the head severely with SAVE OUR OCEANS information I'll buy an Earth News magazine ffs!

Hollywoods become a deplorable forum for tree huggers run amuck!

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

I just took my nephew too see it.Overall I thought it was cute but they overdid it with the environmental message at the end I thought it was a bit over the top but it wasn't the worst movie I've seen this year either.

• 1 month later...

I saw this movie with my little brother last night actually and i was impressed. Although im a big fan of good animation i was hesitant to see this one. I had heard it got bad reviews. The trailors for this movie looked awful and indicated nothing about the story. Untill my little bro begged me to see it with hi I had no intention of seeing this. (WARNING THIS NEXT COUPLE OF LINES CONTAIN SPOILERS) After the opening musical number the movie quickly won me over. The way its made is incredibly cinematic and at its heart, tells a great mythic story: an outcast leaves his community and journeys to the edge of the world to find a way to end the famine thats plaguing his species. Along this quest our hero Mumble learns to live with his outsider status (he cant sing) and makes use of his own particualr gift (tap dancin) its a simple story thats told in a very creative way with a lot of heart.

The musical numbers instead of having a disrupting effect and stopping the flow of the story, actually advance the plot because there integral to the story and the particular type of penguin. Emperor Penguins aparently find their mates by singing. While it all sounds the same to us, they are highly attuned to each other songs. The film cleverly translates that idea to the screen by having these animated penguins sing iconic pop/rock songs.

I thought the animation was top notch and the style perfectly suited for the story. This isnt the goofy cartoonish animation seen in the past years other animal oriented film. Its very rich and leaning heavily towards realism. The vast icy landscapes seem to be copied straight from documentary footage. Just jaw droppingly beautiful if i do say so myself.

Theres one shot in the film in which reallly epitomizes how well made it is and made me love it that much more. Mumble his four friends and the old wise mentor are heading for the edge of the world as they know it. There caught in a snow blizzard. The six penguins are shown in almost a dark sihouette as they struggle to move forawrd. The fading red light of the sun provides faint illumination. As the penguins are pushed back by the blizzed they lean into the wind and keep going. Its almost like something out of a Kurosawa movie. And thats all it is. Just one shot of the blizzard. But its beautifully done. Never seen anything like it in a animated film.

By the end of the film my inital reservation about the film were completly washed away. Disregard the lame trailers and see the movie for yourself.

• 1 month later...

i too was hesitant at first to see this movie.

but a group of friends were going to see it in IMAX 3D so i though hmmm Polar Express in IMAX 3D was wonderful so i went.

I am very glad i did. It was a great movie --who cares that there was a message of save our oceans...we should probably take heed in that.

i agree with the previous poster....the blizzard at twilight scene was just incredible and looked real.

i say also give this movie a try.

it got my toes tappin.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen it but, would a four year old boy like this movie? I wouldn't mind getting it for my nephew if he could get into it.

He likes Shrek, Dora, Cars, Ice Age, and many cartoons with animals in them. I just hope he can follow this one so I can buy or rip it for him.

We bought this movie Friday and as a christian I was totally offended by the way they portrayed organized religion. I'm not the type to get offended easily either. But couldn't they have made the movie without bringing religion into it. On top of that, the whole zoo thing was way to depressing for a kids' movie.

• 1 month later...