Vanished

Sheri

Anyone catch this Monday night on FOX, I thought it was pretty could,any thoughts on this:

Sara Collins is gone. But before the FBI can solve the mystery of where she is, they first need to figure out who she really is.

SARA (Joanne Kelly,

I watched it lastnight.I thought it was pretty darn good actually.It's nice to have another show to watch since they keep canning all my Fav shows...lol

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Vanished

by Matt Webb Mitovich

August 21, 2006: The Mrs. Goes Missing

What if, just as a woman was about to come clean to her senator husband by telling her big secret, she vanished, in the blink of an eye, at a gala held in her honor? Then, as the investigation into her disappearance got underway and the body count began, we, the viewers, came to realize that this mystery was not so much a whodunit but a "Who, really, was it done to?" And, equally complicated, "Why did it happen?"

Such is the premise of Vanished, Fox's brand-new serialized companion piece to Prison Break. First, let's get this one thing out of the way: Vanished is the fall's new drama about a missing wife, whereas NBC's Kidnapped is about an abducted kid. They are also very different shows in feel and style, with Vanished hinting at perhaps wilder reasons for what happened. But you'll get more of that in the coming weeks.

Thus far, I really like the cast. John Allen Nelson, last seen swinging from his necktie as 24's Walt Cummings, is icy-cold good as the senator. Rebecca Gayheart has a fun role to chew on as Judy Nash, nosy newshound. Recent Deadwood visitor Gale Harold seems up to the task as FBI agent Graham. (How devastating was that flashback to his last retrieval gone wrong? Shiver.) And Ming-Na is a good match as Harold's partner.

So who's already looking complicit? Um, everyone? The senator is either full of secrets or in denial; the daughter is a Kim Bauer-esque pile of trouble; the son isn't exactly cooperating with the cops, either. Yet the clues that are fast turning up are hinting at something larger and more far-out than anything those two pesky young 'uns could be involved with.

I know the critics haven't been 100 percent kind to this show, but count me in as someone curious to see where this is heading.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 08/22/2006 6:49 AM

August 28, 2006:

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Vanished

by Matt Webb Mitovich

September 4, 2006: "Drop"

This week's Vanished centered on a big ol' wild-goose chase, as Senator Collins, who apparently knows Sara's abductor, received a secret message to dodge the FBI and deliver $5 million, cash, to the middle of a populated plaza. Thanks to his less-than-covert chief of staff (who procured the ginormous briefcase of money), though, Kelton and Co. caught wind of the drop, then proceeded to guess wrong most every step of the way. The end result, Collins now trusts them less than ever, his beef with Kelton is magnified, and, per the kidnapper's directive, he's not going to be cooperating much with the Feds. And mind you, he wasn't cooperating much to begin with!

"Confirm the ninth," repeated the kidnapper, showing that odd, angular "9" on the plummeting elevator video screen. (The ninth Supreme Court opening? Is that the C-story happening on the TV news reports we see in the background, the hearing that Collins has been pressed by his cronies about?) Hmm... I am trying so hard to care.

Oh, yeah, during all of the above, we got a flashback glimpse at the nasty side of the Senator's ex-wife, Jessica, played by a (perhaps too?) sunny Penelope Ann Miller. And we also were shown new, worse-than-Kim Bauer depths to which daughter Marcy Collins will sink, all in the name of standing by her obviously bad-seed beau, Ben. Are we supposed to be rooting for these two, won over by Ben's physical similarity to Heath Ledger? That's all I can imagine, because he lies to Marcy every step of the way, and she forever pleads his case.

That frustrating, illogical element aside, one thing I am liking about this particular serialized thriller is that the flashbacks, like Jessica's, do show us the occasional peek at the true truth and what really went down. On a serpentine series like this one, that is all too refreshing.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 09/5/06 7:25 AM

September 11, 2006: "Before the Flood"

So... the daughter, not missing Sara, is pregnant. A lot of you called that one from Day 1, so good job. But who could have known that Marcy once canoodled with married Supreme Court nominee Judge Rainer? Tr

• 2 weeks later...

Vanished

by Matt Webb Mitovich

September 18, 2006: "The Feed"

Best episode of the season to date? I'd be willing to cast my vote for that. And mainly because Fox's Vanished is now starting to get me into that 24 state of mind, what with the lawyers who really aren't lawyers, and doors in the floor, and key players shot dead just when we need them most. Heck, we even have Penelope Ann Miller as a photocopy-negative version of Sherry Palmer, weaseling her way back into her ex's life and then immediately starting to pull political strings. (Alas, Ms. Miller, who I am sure is a lovely person, is still ringing hollow in the hellion role. But time will tell.)

Another Achilles' heel of the series to date is, I have to say, the son. Marcy's a tart with pathetic judgment, we know that. But Max, up until last night's episode, was but a cipher of an offspring. Now he's a mopey cipher -- albeit one, we are warned, who could "slip" at any moment. Uh-huh. And the whole Masonic-alphabet thing is a bit goofy, if you ask me... so desperately trying to evoke The Da Vinci Code. Do esoteric cults sit down at the start of their zealous campaign to decide which arcane language to use?

I'm thrilled to see someone finally taking notice of Peter Manning's tale of Sara-Nicky. Thanks to flashbacks, we see that Jeffrey knows the fisherman's story to be true.

And I thank the TV heavens for the storytelling device of having Judy recap each episode's findings for us at the end of the hour. It's gimmicky and blatant as hell, sure, but it can only help what aspires to be a labyrinthine thriller. Ben said it best, and on behalf of all of us: "Who the hell are 'they'?!"

Posted by Matt Mitovich 09/19/06 8:11 AM Permlink

September 25, 2006: "The Black Box"

I have to think that the folks who toil away at the real FBI and such crime-solving organizations laugh, and hard, at the lightning-fast technological wizardry performed on such shows as Vanished and, say, 24. I mean, can a weather map from a precise day and time be called up and overlaid, rather instantaneously, onto a plotting of cell-phone towers? It's like, "Oh, and now drop in the pitch locations from Gary Sheffield's at-bat against Tim Wakefield... and then overlay the approach plan for the invasion of Normandy. Perfect!"

But I digress.

Some new things we learned on this week's episode of Fox's Vanished:

- The live video feed of Sara's imprisonment was being ping-ponged all over god's creation by a series of cell-phone towers, meaning that the signal would never reach the blocks surrounding my house in New Jersey, or inside the local CVS.

- The Nicky Johnson connection is so super important and hush-hush that even if you play a role in covering it up, you will be hush-hushed

Vanished

by Matt Webb Mitovich

October 2, 2006: "Resurrection"

I have to assume that the title of this week's episode refers to the "is she or isn't she dead" status of Sara Collins, and does not portend the fate of Gale Harold's Agent Graham Kelton. No, he looked shot up good in the pre-baseball finale of Fox's Vanished. I would love to hear from viewers who didn

• 1 month later...

okok.. so sara's hubby got on a plane to go back home and the pilot had that tatoo on his wrist like the other bad people so he was part of the group that kidnapped sara. the pilot comes out and says that they are having some mechanical problems and they will have to make a quick stop in North Carolina to fix it.

when they land and pull into a hanger the senator (thats what he is right???) is walking down the steps of the plane only to see some woman in a chair with a bag over her head... ITS SARA!

they take the bag off her head and put a gun to her temple... they dont let the senator come close to her (she is gagged) they tell the senator that he has messed up and they will not allow any more screw ups for him. the next time they tell him to do something, he better do it or sara will be dead.

they confirm that the FBI guy is dead and they bring in the other guy to replace him. The senators daughter asks her grandfather for 20,000 to bail her boyfriend out of jail, he says no. so her mom goes to the senators right hand man and asks him if he still wants her to leave and what is he willing to pay? she says all she wants is 20,000 and she will pack up and leave. its a deal. so she gets the money and gives it to her daughter who then goes and bails out her boyfriend. she tells him she is pregnant.

back at the house, her mother is all packed up ready to leave when her son comes and sees that she is leaving.. he wants to go with her. at the end of the show, it shows the mother and son driving together in a taxi heading off.

the senator is brought back to his town and he doesnt say a word about him seeing sara.

thats about all i have.