Episode 3.07: Not In Portland (Juliet-centric)

Dade

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 3.07: Not In Portland

Airdate: Winter 2007

• 10/02 - This episode will feature Edmund Burke, a smug in his 50s who has a laboratory in a university, who is the type to divorce his wife to date a young woman in her early 20s. He likes to take credit for other people's work. Also in the episode is Albert Hofmann, a highly selective recruiter for a bio-tech company. Source: SpoilerFix.com

• 2 weeks later...

Title change

Airdate: Winter 2007

• 10/18 - I just found out that Episode 7 is a Juliet flashback. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

• 2 weeks later...

Title change...also notice the air date........

Airdate: February 7, 2007

• 10/31 - On a remote Hawaiian beachscape where turquoise waves slither up tan sands, Josh Holloway, Evangeline Lilly and several others (including Others) are filming a whopper of a scene for a February episode of LOST. Spotting this reporter through the trees, Elizabeth Mithcell scoots over... "Well," she says, cheerfully excusing herself, "I'm going to go shoot someone." Cameras rolling, she expertly wields a Sig Sauer and pumps two bullets into someone shocking; the still-standing are left gasping as she coldly lowers the gun. Source: Entertainment Weekly
  • 10/31 - According to some pictures, Ethan would appear in Juliet's flashback. Probably working at the same lab Juliet was. Click on the source to view said picture. Source: SpoilersLost
  • 10/30 - "LOST" turned the John A. Burns School of Medicine into the Miami Central University's Medical Research Laboratory. And it seems like a flashback for Juliet, the new character played by Elizabeth Mitchell. She meets an older gentleman (played by Zeljko Ivanek, if this photo and Jen's encyclopedic brain are to believed). According to Spoilerfix, the guy is probably Edmund Burke. They talk in front of the building, he steps into the street... and is hit by a bus. Source: The Transmission

• 4 weeks later...

• 11/16 - Kimberly Estrada will be appearing as Sherry in Episode 7. Source: Kimberly Estrada Official Website

• 3 weeks later...

LOST February Preview! What to Expect when LOST Returns! Not In Portland

courtesy of BuddyTV

December 15, 2006

Lost returns on February 7th with the episode "Not in Portland". This episode focuses on the apparently rebellious 'other' Juliet, giving us some insight into her background and possibly how she came to be on the island. We know a few things about this episode: from the previews thus far, it looks like Kate and Sawyer do escape and are on the run with Danielle's long lost daughter Alex. Juliet tells Jack that his plan is not going to work.

From interviews conducted around the time of the episodes filming, it looks like Juliet sets out to help Kate and Sawyer escape and shoots somebody on the beach. The rumor for months was this was Jack, but the current murmurings are Danny Pickett. Further rumorage suggests that Juliet will leave with Kate, Sawyer, and Alex. But her back-story will reveal closeness to Ethan Rom, so is her elaborate plan to infiltrate the Losties for vengeance?

Is Ben the blood-thirsty one, or is it Juliet? Sawyer, who should know, did identify her as the coldest player in the others camp. All the press on Juliet really pointed out the ambiguity on her trust-factor, yet we haven't seen anything to make us think she is a villain just yet. Did Juliet set up Ben's execution to provide cover for her own escape? If so, then how will Jack fair without his tenuous ally's promised protection? We'll find out February 7th.

Courtesy of Zap2it:

Jack is in command, as the fate of one of The Others

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, hang on to your hats!

HUGE spoilers for this episode have been leaked because the episode was made available by the network for the preview of select individuals (now why do they do that?). So if you really want to know some juicy tidbits about this coming episode, scroll on down...if not, don't look!!

Courtesy of: Station Zero

I warned you......

Ben wakes up during the surgery. :o(ouch, that's gotta hurt!)

- Karl - Sawyer

• 01/18 - The episode, titled "Not in Portland," picks up where the midseason cliffhanger left off, with Jack demanding the release of Kate and Sawyer in exchange for saving the life of Ben, the leader of the mysterious Others, on the operating table. Mitchell said that the episode will help explain Juliet's motivations for joining the Others, as well as actions in the previous six episodes of season three. "I think they're giving you an insight into what's happening, and they further develop what happens at the end of the episode, which is something we've kind of been waiting to happen," she said. "So that's how they kind of mix it in there. I can't really say anything more than that because I don't want to give anything away if you haven't seen it, ... but I do believe they further it. What happens to Juliet and what her experience is then kind of feeds into what she's doing and why she's doing it." Mitchell also urged fans to remember that although her character seems nice, she may have an ulterior motive. "She did what she set out to do, which is break Jack," she said. "So yes, she's nice, but look what she did to him. I mean, she kept at him. So that's not particularly nice. Nor is it friendly to take a friendship and twist it so the other person cries. That's not, to me, very nice. However, there was obviously a reason behind it. If you take any good person and give them an ultimate objective that they have to fulfill, they're willing to do almost anything. What we might do for our children, what we might do to save a parent or save our loved one, we're willing to do almost anything. So that, to me, is Juliet." Source: Sci Fi Wire

Courtesy of Kristin Veitch at EOnline:

Kristin: I

• 01/24 - This episode continues exactly where the last one finished. Ben

preview photos for "Not In Portland":

notinportland1mt3.jpg

notinportland2ht8.jpg

notinportland3pq9.jpg

notinportland4lk6.jpg

Courtesy of EOnline and (the annoying) Kristin Veitch

Don't worry, I won't tell your significant other. But I have it on the highest authority that you're going to fall in love with someone this coming Wednesday. It will happen fast and hard, and you will be able to think of little else. (one hint...King already has ;))

The object of your newfound, all-encompassing crush? One Ms. Elizabeth Mitchell, aka Juliet, whose performance in this Wednesday's winter premiere of Lost makes you fall in love with not only her as an actress but also with the show itself all over again.

I caught up with the Lost cast at a recent event at the TV Academy. To hear teases and loveliness straight from Evangeline, Josh Holloway and the rest of the Lost stars' mouths, click on play in the video clip at the top of this column.

Now, on the off chance you've been sniffing glue and had planned not to watch this Wednesday's Lost, here are a few reasons why you cannot miss it:

Elizabeth Mitchell, as Juliet, is the fierce force behind this Wednesday's episode, which delves into her backstory, her reason for coming to the island, her history with Ben and even a surprise crossover appearance by someone we already know.

The ep has an action-packed storyline so expertly crafted that you won't be able to see what's coming, and you will be at the edge of your La-Z-Boy cushions. I swear.

Evangeline Lilly completely kicks ass in every way

Kayo... I've ONLY survived because of your clips... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

• 01/31 - Co-executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz reveal: It was exciting to show [Juliet's] backstory. What you see on this island is a very strong woman, and in her backstory she was a little timid and was getting bullied -- so you see the evolution of her character from that. Source: The Official Lost Magazine, Issue #9, March/April 2007
  • 01/30 - You see that Kate does have very strong feelings for Jack. And they are sorta kinda displayed in front of Sawyer. Source: Kristin on E!Online

WOW- now that's what I call getting hit by a bus!!!

(and my additional thoughts on this episode ;) )

LOST is officially back with a bang and I was definitely not disappointed! Sure, more questions were left hanging, but little bits of the puzzle were also revealed. Plus, I found Juliette's storyline to be a very compelling one- I found myself actually feeling for her for the first time.

Juliette: I think we have been given more of an idea of who she was/is- but do we really? Although she seemed to be a follow orders, doormat type of person in her flashbacks, is she still really that way? I want to believe what she told Jack is true about being on the island for *"three years, two months and twenty-eight days"(see below for further speculation on this timeline) and that Ben promised he would send her home if she followed his orders...but I've watched this show long enough to know that things are not always what they seem. Why do I keep thinking that Juliette and Ben's conversation (which we weren't privy to) will come back up again in another episode where we'll hear what was ACTUALLY said? Ben's episode perhaps? Juliette just seemed way too assertive and cold when she shot Danny- not once, but three times. All I know is, I can't wait to find out more about Juliette!

Brainwashing Scene: Whoa- poor Karl! I would have lasted probably only an hour or so, and poof! my brain would have been jello. Things to ponder from the words, music and pictures: Someone is a Led Zeppelin fan there! "Everything changes." "We are the causes of our own suffering." "God loves you as he loves Jacob." "Think about your life"- these were some of the words that flashed on the screen. And we've heard the name Jacob before when Pickett said something about Jack "not being on the list". Is Jacob the one really running the show on the island...and if so, how is he connected with Ben. And is Ben going to get in trouble for bringing in Jack to operate on him?

It also makes me wonder just how many of "the others" have been brainwashed as well? Ethan sure looked and seemed a bit weird in Juliette's flashbacks and in the events on the island. And what about Cindy, Danny, Tom and who knows who else?? Could any of the survivors have been brainwashed before they even came on the plane and who are now amongst the rest of the survivors...any of the main characters, perhaps? Aahh! my brain is going to explode....man, I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!

The whole fertility experiments issue: This I found the most interesting because it seems like this is definitely important bits of the puzzle- I'm just not sure how they all go together yet. We do know:

Juliette was doing fertility research and was able to get a male mouse pregnant, although didn't carry it full-term.

Juliette was able to impregnate her sister (who is sick with cancer?) by injecting her in the stomach, over a period of time, with a mysterious serum.

Claire was pregnant, the others captured her and most likely did experiments on her and/or her baby (which I'm sure Juliette knows something about!), she later escaped and had her child.

Sun is pregnant...by whom? Jin, who is infertile)? her lover? was she injected with the mysterious serum??

Danielle had an infant named "Alex" who was captured by the Others, whom we assume is most likely the "Alex" who is Ben's "daughter". Did Danielle give birth on the island or before? (If anyone remembers something being revealed about this, please let me know!) If it was after she was on the island...could she have been made pregnant unknowingly (think mysterious serum) for the purpose of taking her child afterwards?

The walkie-talkie scene with Jack and Kate: YES!! Why these people do not win, or EVEN GET NOMINATED for an Emmy is beyond me!

*Regarding the comment that Juliette made about being on the island for 3 years, 28 days and 2 months- According to recent statements by the producers, and per the timeline that's been suggested in the show, the events that are currently transpiring on LOST are taking place in late November 2004, possibly very early December 2004. When you do the math, you will get an estimated date that comes suspiciously close to the exact date of September 11th, 2001. Coincidence? This possibility is being highly speculated all over the internet...

True to form, LOST left far more questions than answers.

If Julliette wanted to go home why didn't she let Jack kill him, by simply NOT allowing Kate to tell him the story. If Ben's death wouldn't result in her freedom, how would his life. Surely he's not the ONE, but does he have some facetime with the decision maker. Is Ben like the Pope of the island.

If Julliette's sister was seriously ill, why impregnate her? Because she really wanted a baby or experience child birth? Could she survive?

Alex question:

I missed why Alex couldn't leave, could someone elaborate?

Danny Question:

What kind of super human strength does this guy have. He reminds me of Ethan. He gets the crap beat out of him, nose broken, head rammed repeatedly into a large steel button, then electrocuted. Five minutes later, he has the strength and the brains to run through the jungle...I just don't get it.

Karl Question:

I thought when Kark was first introduced, he was a plant to gain Sawyer's trust. Now he's being brainwashed ala Clockwork Orange-style. But for how long? I didn't notice if he was strapped down, just juiced...could he still be a plant for the small island? Is he the mole?

Final question:

WHERE'S MISS KLUGH?

Great episode - so happy its back!!

Francis - Juliette told Alex she had to stay becasue thats the only way her father (Ben) would let Karl live. And Karl was strapped down, both Alex and Kate helped to get him lose.

As for Danny, I am so happy Juliette shot him, hopefully he is really dead!

Now I cant wait for next week!! I hope we see the other survivor next week, I miss some of them, especially Hurley!!

So in the previews it said someone dies, and they made it look like it was Clair drowning, what do you think.. who will die??

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Lost

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss

February 7, 2007: Drs. Burke and Shepherd, Round 2

ABC insiders are having a little fun with this not-so-inside joke, no? And that concludes the obvious portion of tonight's episode. The rest is almost pure psychodrama. Who's on whose side? What's motivating whom? Who's in charge when and where? Damn if we'll ever know, but I'm loving the emotional twists and turns.

At first I thought Juliet injecting stuff into her bald sister meant that she wasn't a fertility doc after all, but an oncologist. Wrong. She's a fancy fertility doc who can impregnate a male mouse. But what kind of power did her ex-husband have over her that she scurried around in fear of him and still worked in his lab while he fooled around with his hot research assistants? I like how Mittelos Bioscience's Dr. Halpert tried to lure her in with some stock photography before he really got her attention with those X-rays of a 26-year-old woman's uterus that looked like it belonged to a 72-year-old. Is it Penny's? Or maybe someone on the island? I know one of the theories out there is that the people on the island are infertile, which is why they're always stealing kids. Maybe there's something making their reproductive systems deteriorate. What really creeped me out about Halpert wasn't his aggressive recruiting tactics but his eyeliner. And the whole bus-hitting thing. I attribute that more to the hand of J.J. Abrams, who may not be very involved in this show anymore, but I can just imagine him sending out little memos to his people saying, "You know, it's been a couple of years since someone on my show has been suddenly hit by a car. I'm disappointed in you guys." And all these years after Todd Mulcahy got slammed by a bus while wooing Felicity, I still find it funny. I'm sick. Anyway, those Mittelos people, aka the Dharma Initiative, arranged things quite nicely for Juliet. I just did a little check on the boards and discovered that Mittelos is an anagram of "lost time" (was that cheating?). That would explain why Juliet was supposed to go to this "not Portland" for six months and has been there for three years, two months and 28 days, which means she's been on the island since late summer of 2001. I really hope there's no 9/11 tie-in with that. We deserve better.

Juliet seems to be a pretty good judge of character, so I'm sure she A) knew Jack wouldn't let Ben die and B) assumed that at some point he would tell everyone that she asked him to kill Ben. So whose fault is it that Ben woke up on the operating table? And can any lip readers out there tell me what he really said? I'm getting very confused about who wanted to kill Sawyer and Kate and who wanted to set them free. Danny wanted them dead 'cause of his wife, of course. But Ben and Juliet kept going back and forth on the matter. You could assume Kate and Sawyer were at first being held just to motivate Jack to operate, but if that had been the case, why would they be threatening to kill them while the operation was still going on? And forgive me if I'm stating something you've gone over before, but why would Ben have cancer if the island made Rose's disappear?

This episode wasn't big on action, but the little there was offered more proof that both the Others and Sawyer are terrible shots. He needs to learn to give Kate the gun at all times. But it was Alex and the superb burrowing skills she learned from Mama Rousseau that saved them. Best Sawyer nickname-bestowing of the night: "Nice to meet you, Sheena." Best overall Sawyer quote: "Don't get mad at me just because you were dumb enough to fall for the ol' Wookie-prisoner gag." Couldn't get much out of slow-mo'ing the video Carl was forced to watch, Clockwork Orange-style. For those of you who'd like to decode it, it said: "Plant a good seed and you will joyfully gather fruit. Everything changes. We are the causes of our own suffering. God loves you as he loved Jacob. Think about your life." And it had a brief flash of that far-off shot of Alvar Hanso in the office building. Anything else I missed?

A few other things we learned: Alex is Ben's daughter. Does Rousseau know that? And Kate really does love Jack. At least that's how Sawyer and I are interpreting Kate's tears. Man, ABC shows do know how to turn surgery tales into the best love poems!

Posted by Sabrina Rojas Weiss 02/8/07 12:41 AM

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name