Naveen Andrews as Sayid

Jem

Naveen Andrews as Sayid

lost2.jpg

London-born Naveen Andrews auditioned for drama school and was accepted at London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama. His studies paid off when he won a role in Hanif Kureshi's film, London Kills Me.

In 1993 Andrews was nominated by the Evening Standard Drama Awards as Most Promising Newcomer for his part in Wild West. His big break occurred when he was cast in the Oscar-winning film The English Patient. He then went on to appear in such films as Kama Sutra, Mighty Joe Young, True Love and Chaos, Rollerball and Drowning on Dry Land. He will also be seen in the upcoming Bride and Prejudice, directed by Gurinder Chadha for Miramax Pictures.

On television his starring performance in Chippendale Murders was highly acclaimed, as was his work in the BBC's The Buddha of Suburbia, for which he was nominated for Best Actor at the San Remo Film Festival. He also starred in the BBC's Peacock Spring, Double Vision, The Frontier and Mira Nair's My Own Country.

Andrerws enjoys playing the guitar, composing and reading. He resides in Los Angeles with his partner, Barbara Hershey. He has one son, Jaisal.

Guest ranster627

Sayid is one of my favourites, and arguably one of the most complex. I am shocked though that he isn't the "go-to" guy. I thought in the beginning that they were positioning him to be like the Professor from Gilligan's Island ... but they seem to have divided that between Locke, Sawyer and Jack .... from a survival perspective.

I look forward to seeing more of the dark side of this character!

Article from December

'Easy' Going

By Sarah Kuhn

Naveen Andrews knows how to invest a performance with a quiet intensity so distinctive, it's tough to imagine anyone else playing the role. Take, for example, his part in the upcoming indie comedy Easy. As he is playing sensitive poet/professor-type John, one might expect Andrews to spend the whole movie gazing longingly at leading lady Marguerite Moreau. And gaze he does, but it's so much more than mere moony-eyed pining. There's a subtle, underlying playfulness to his performance that hints at hidden depths within the character's soul.

Calling from the lush Hawaiian island of Oahu, where he is currently filming ABC's smash-hit series Lost, the London-born actor is happy to chat about the diversity of roles he currently finds himself inhabiting: Before the year is over, Andrews will have put his stamp on the aforementioned sensitive poet, a mysterious Iraqi military veteran, and a charming rich guy with a penchant for bursting into song and dance. The opportunity to play so many different things, says Andrews, is an actor's dream. "That, to me, is the ideal," he says. "That's what we as actors want. It's rare when that comes along--you seize it when [it does]."

Andrews showed promise at the tender age of 5, when one of his teachers suggested to his parents that young Naveen might make a good actor. His parents' reaction wasn't exactly encouraging: They were "utterly mortified," says Andrews. "They didn't really think there'd be any money in it. They didn't see it as a career. That stayed with me until comparatively recently; the idea of it being a career has only started to take shape in the last few years, I'd say."

Andrews honed his craft at England's Guildhall School of Music and Drama, and he has since been featured in a number of British and American productions. He may be best-known for his sensuous supporting turn as Kip Singh, Hana's (Juliette Binoche) lover in The English Patient, and his lusty role as the opium-loving king in Kama Sutra. Fans still swoon when these performances come up, but Andrews shrugs off his sex-symbol status. "It's the work, really--just do whatever the work requires," he says. "At drama school they used to cast me as the old man a lot. I had to wear padding, and my hair was gray, and I was perceived a little differently."

Andrews doesn't exactly play a senior citizen in writer/director Jane Weinstock's Easy, which hits theatres Nov. 26, but the role still shows off yet another facet of his considerable range. As soulful poet John, Andrews romances the film's cynical central character, Jamie (Moreau). Also vying for her affections is the good-natured Irish comic, Mick (Brian F. O'Byrne). In a typical big-budget romantic comedy, the plot would degenerate into a battle between the two men for the heroine's heart, and the winner would be clear from the outset. Easy, however, offers something a bit different: a gently-paced, true-to-life ensemble piece in which every character is carefully drawn and three-dimensional.

This well-rounded approach appealed to Andrews. "Oh, my God, it [is] nothing like the big-budget, so-called comedies," he says. "There was something much more real about it. I like things that are just not conventional. I like things that spring out from left field." The actor also appreciates the film's multifaceted approach to storytelling. "Life is not black-and-white," he says.

Andrews' role on Lost is also sketched in shades of gray. The actor plays Sayid, one of a large cast of characters who suddenly find themselves stranded on an island after a plane crash. As a former member of the Iraqi Republican Guard, Sayid possesses impressive technological know-how, making him a leader among the castaways. But, like everyone else on the island, the character has his secrets, and Andrews isn't necessarily privy to all of them. Though he says he knows a bit more than the viewers at home, he's also learning about Sayid as we do. "It really is like shooting in the dark, especially coming from film," he says. "With film, it's a finite period of time: You have a beginning, an arc, and then an end. You obviously plan around that. But with TV, man, you have to make certain decisions and choices, which are usually very broad ones, and just hope to Christ that they're the right ones. I think so far it's been OK; so far it's been working."

In December, Andrews can be seen singing and dancing in writer/director Gurinder Chadha's (Bend It Like Beckham) newest work, Bride and Prejudice, which gleefully weaves Jane Austen into a rollicking Bollywood backdrop. "[in] the opening musical number, I'm singing and dancing in front of 40 dancers in a sort of weird amalgam of ... I suppose it's Indian traditional dance mixed with MC Hammer," says Andrews, chuckling.

He has myriad interesting roles under his belt, and surely more on the horizon, but Andrews isn't one to let success go to his head. He prefers to remember how his love of acting grew out of the freedom of imagination he had as a child, back when that strangely prescient teacher thought he might one day become an actor. "[You should] always hold on to what you felt as a child, what made you go into the business in the first place," he says. "It wasn't to get famous, or anything to do with celebrity, but for the joy of acting. It's very hard to remain vulnerable in this business. Hold onto [that] vulnerability, that golden thread that put [you] there in the first place. That will see you through."

From December

At home with 'Lost'

By Michael Tsai

Humbled that his new TV show "Lost" has become the smash hit of the fall season, London-born actor Naveen Andrews is nonetheless coming to the painful realization that success has its costs. "It looks like I'm going to have to find a more permanent place to live," Andrews says, sorrowfully contemplating the end to his prolonged stay at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hawaii, where he has lived since shooting on the ABC series began this summer. "It seems that everything I need is here," he says. "But it's a small price to pay."

While many of his castmates settled into rented homes in Waikiki and Kailua after the show received word of its initial pick-up, Andrews chose to play wait-and-see in the comfy confines of the beachside hotel.

But with "Lost" now dominating its Wednesday night time slot and the network wasting no time in ordering nine more episodes to complete the first season, it's clear Andrews won't be going home to Los Angeles any time soon.

And he couldn't be happier.

Andrews plays "Sayid," a former member of the Iraqi national guard whose courage and leadership comes to the fore as he and his fellow plane crash survivors try to make their way on a mysterious, remote island.

Amid the rave reviews the series has garnered in its first month, Andrews has been singled out both for the uniqueness of his character and the skill

Guest conniejoe
Jemmie - I could read these articles ten times and never get enough!!! ANYTHING you find regarding Naveen Andrews is much appreciated. Sayid is, by far, my favorite character. Oh and pictures....I like pictures. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627
Biography

Naveen William Sidney Andrews was born in London on January 17, 1969 and raised in Wandsworth, south London. After causing a scandal by having an affair with his high school teacher with whom he has one son (Jaisal), Naveen went to the famous Guildall School of Music and Drama with Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis, and his first role came in 1991's London Kills Me. His big film break was in multi-award winning The English Patient and was extremely well-received. His apparent interest in older women continues, as he is currently splitting his time between his LA home with girlfriend of six years Barbara Hershey and Hawaii for shooting.

Random facts:

• 1 month later...
Guest XandraSkye

I watched the movie "Easy" over the weekend. I liked it. And Naveen Andrews was very good and we got to see him naked, or at least his entire backside, during a pretty hot & steamy love scene. The movie was an Independent Film and you could tell. The sound quality wasn't the greatest but the plot was interesting and compelling. I even cried at the end. I would probably classify this movie as a chickflick and if you are girl who has been in crappy relationships, like I have, you can probably relate to this movie.

Here is a summary of the movie:

Jamie (Marguerite Moreau) has a big problem: She's a magnet for jerky boyfriends. But things might be looking up when she becomes the object of affection of two seemingly normal guys (Brian O'Byrne and Naveen Andrews). Unfortunately, there's the immense problem of picking just the right guy -- and "eeny, meeny, miney, moe" just isn't gonna do it in this case!

'Lost,' 'Alias' Stars Accept ABC's 'Commandments'

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - ABC is set to start shooting its miniseries "The Ten Commandments," with Scottish actor Dougray Scott as Moses, later this month.

The four-hour miniseries, produced by Hallmark Entertainment, is scheduled to begin production Monday, May 23, with Morocco standing in for 13th-century B.C. Egypt. The network plans to have the production ready for air during the 2005-06 season.

Scott ("Mission: Impossible II," "Ever After") will play Moses in the tale of the Exodus, taking on a role memorably played by Charlton Heston in the 1956 Cecil B. DeMille film (which has been an Easter-season staple on ABC for a number of years). He'll be joined in the cast by Omar Sharif ("Lawrence of Arabia," "Hidalgo"), Mia Maestro ("Alias") and Linus Roache ("RFK," "Batman Begins").

ABC says that "months of painstaking biblical and historical research" went into the production in an effort to ensure an "authentic" representation of the period. Hallmark Entertainment's penchant for effects-heavy productions ("Dinotopia," NBC's upcoming "Hercules") will come into play as well in portraying the plague of locusts and parting of the Red Sea.

Emmy winner Ron Hutchinson ("The Simon Wiesenthal Story," "The Tuskegee Airmen") is writing the script for the miniseries. Veteran director Robert Dornhelm ("Into the West," USA's "Spartacus") will helm the project.

From E!

Naveen Andrews (Sayid)

I just read a story about you in Entertainment Weekly. You've had a crazy life.

I have lived. I can't really apologize for that. I do have a past. Thankfully, it's in the past. You know, you've got to move on, and I'm just very lucky to be alive. "I feel grateful that anybody's interested"

And lucky you, you got the hot babe.

Well, I think Maggie Grace, as a person and as an actress, has a lot of soul. And that probably wasn't brought through early on, or she didn't have a chance to bring it through. And I think the relationship between Shannon and Sayid, which came from left field, came from nowhere; no one would have put those two together. I'm very glad it happened. It seems to have worked.

Will there be another Sayid-centric episode?

Yeah. We just finished shooting it. So, there will be another one. Everyone gets a crack of the whip, like the Jorge one that just came out I thought was f--king brilliant. It was just great. And beautifully written, too. Sometimes the show actually surprises me. I watch it, and I think I'm actually proud to be on it sometimes.

• 3 months later...

Naveen Andrews thinks Lost character good for Muslim image

Source

Lost star Naveen Andrews is convinced his Iraqi character in the hit TV drama will become hugely influential in erasing negative Muslim stereotypes because he has already proved an audience favourite.

The 36-year-old British actor, who plays former soldier Sayid Jarrah, has praised US network Abc for having the courage to promote his lead role in the current political climate.

Andrew says, "In Hollywood, Middle Eastern characters are usually insubstantial. "The fact that he's a main character and that a network was prepared to do this in a time of war is astonishing. "Audiences really like and are about him. I think people are trying to connect with the 'enemy' in a way the US government won't allow them to. "It's just sheer gall to have this character in the show and, frankly, that bravery is why I did the series."

Guest ranster627

great post, and I agree with him ... the character is a positive role model --- sadly needed in this day and age ... the only thing that would be better wuld be to have a real Muslim cast in the part (not to say I don't like the actor, because I so), but then again I also think it would be nice to see real people with disabilities playing our own roles too ...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

insider_logo101x38.jpg

Getting Personal with Naveen Andrews

lost_300x210_andrews.jpg

'Lost's' Naveen Andrews

As the technically-savvy survivor Sayid on ABC's "Lost," Naveen Andrews may still be struggling to solve the mysteries of the island, but there's one thing that's definitely not an enigma -- the success of the show! The program, now in its second season, is a huge ratings-getter and recently picked up the Emmy

Lost's Naveen Andrews: Ten Commandments to Stir up Hornet's Nest

By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel

lost_streiber3.jpg

Naveen Andrews

ABC's upcoming miniseries of "The Ten Commandments" promises to push quite a few buttons, reports "Lost" regular Naveen Andrews, who stars in the epic project with Dougray Scott, Omar Sharif, Linus Roache, Mia Maestro and Paul Rhys.

Andrews predicts it will stir up a hornet's nest. "What was unusual about the way we did this version of 'The Ten Commandments' was we treated Moses like he was a lunatic. If somebody came and told you today, 'I've just been talking to a burning bush,' you would try and have him put into a hospital, wouldn't you?"

And as if that's not enough to convince us this is nothing like the reverent Cecil B. DeMille "Ten Commandments" starring Charleton Heston, Andrews adds, " I think what we've done is question the nature of religious dogma: Who is this vengeful, spiteful, jealous God who urges Moses to commit mass murder at times

• 2 weeks later...

"Lost" Getting Sex Scene

NEW YORK (AP) - Get ready for a steamy sex scene on "Lost" between Shannon and Sayid.

Maggie Grace tells Inside T-V she and Naveen Andrews kept trying to make each other laugh while the scene was being filmed.

She says she brought a kielbasa sausage to bed, "tucking it away and waiting for him to notice." Grace says Andrews responded by taking everything off. She says she thinks "he lost his modesty sock." She gasped "in absolute shock." And, she says she was "laughing nervously for about 20 minutes after they yelled 'cut."'

Lost's Naveen Andrews: Ten Commandments to Stir up Hornet's Nest

By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel

ep_marioperez.jpg

ABC's upcoming miniseries of "The Ten Commandments" promises to push quite a few buttons, reports "Lost" regular Naveen Andrews, who stars in the epic project with Dougray Scott, Omar Sharif, Linus Roache, Mia Maestro and Paul Rhys.

Andrews predicts it will stir up a hornet's nest. "What was unusual about the way we did this version of 'The Ten Commandments' was we treated Moses like he was a lunatic. If somebody came and told you today, 'I've just been talking to a burning bush,' you would try and have him put into a hospital, wouldn't you?"

And as if that's not enough to convince us this is nothing like the reverent Cecil B. DeMille "Ten Commandments" starring Charleton Heston, Andrews adds, " I think what we've done is question the nature of religious dogma: Who is this vengeful, spiteful, jealous God who urges Moses to commit mass murder at times

• 2 months later...

Lost star admits fathering child while separated from girlfriend

January 06, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) - Naveen Andrews, who plays Iraqi soldier Sayid on the hit show Lost, has acknowledged that he fathered a child while briefly separated from his longtime girlfriend.

Andrews' publicist said that Andrews and actress Barbara Hershey were separated for a "brief period" last year, during which Andrews had an encounter with another woman. He recently learned that he is the father of her baby boy.

"I have every intention of assuming appropriate responsibility for the child," Andrews said Friday in a statement released to The Associated Press.

Andrews said he and Hershey have worked things out and remain committed to their relationship.

The British-born Andrews, 35, plays Sayid Jarrah, a former member of Iraq's Republican Guard, on ABC's Lost. He is currently nominated for a Golden Globe for supporting actor in a series, miniseries or movie.

Hershey, 57, has appeared in films including Lantana, Breakfast of Champions and Falling Down.

• 4 weeks later...

Exclusive: 'Lost' Star Naveen Andrews Has Love Child

BY RICHARD MORIARTY

naveen.jpg

Naveen Andrews

Lost star Naveen Andrews has officially learned he is the father of a love child, The National Enquirer can reveal exclusively. A spokeswoman for the actor confirmed Friday morning that Naveen, 36, is the dad of a former girlfriend's child.

Naveen, who is in a relationship with actress Barbara Hershey, took a DNA test to establish paternity. Naveen's publicist Teri Kane told The National Enquirer: "For a short period, Naveen Andrews and Barbara Hershey were quietly separated. During that time, Andrews had a sexual encounter with a woman. He has just learned that he is the biological father of her baby boy. "Andrews has every intention of assuming appropriate responsibility for the child and proceeding with all intergrity in this matter.

"Hershey and Andrews have long since worked things out and remain committed to their relationship," Kane added.

The National Enquirer learned that the child

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ABC's 'Lost' Star Naveen Andrews Predicts Short Run for Hit Show

By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith

ep_marioperez2.jpg

"Lost's" Naveen Andrews is looking over film prospects to do over hiatus time, but notes, "It all depends on whether the dates work around the series. When ABC owns you, they own you.

A short stint for 'Lost?' I'd think they'd be loathe to let you off and do movies when they could be squeezing your life blood. There's a huge season finale May 7 to promote," he adds.

The candid Andrews doesn't foresee a long future for his hit mystery drama. "To me, it's always been the kind of show I couldn't imagine going as long as 'Friends' -- three, maybe four season at the very most. Surely after the third season it really will be scraping bottom."

He shrugs. "Maybe not."

Andrews spent last hiatus in Morocco and Hungary making ABC's lavish, brutal, non-traditional treatment of "The 10 Commandments," which airs April 10 and 11, with Dougray Scott as Moses and Andrews as his Egyptian family member-turned-enemy, Menerith. He's starting to feel the wear and tear.

"To be honest, I've only realized the way I've been working over the last three or four weeks. It's starting to sink in that I didn't take any time off last year. I might do that this time around. It's a new thing for me to sustain a role for two years. The longest I played a part before was four months."

• 2 months later...

Lost's Naveen Andrews joins "The Brave One"

BY ETHAN AAMES

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Naveen Andrews ("Lost") and Mary Steenburgen will join "The Brave One" for director Neil Jordan.

Joel Silver is producing the feature for Warner Bros. which will star Jodie Foster as "a woman who recovers from a brutal attack and sets out on a dark psychological and physical journey for revenge and justice."

Andrews will play Foster's fiancee in the movie.

"The Brave One"

Plot Outline: A woman (Foster) struggles to recover from a brutal attack by setting out on a mission for revenge.

Production Notes/Status: Pre-production

Comments: Production is set to begin in summer 2006.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476964/