Brothers & Sisters

gill332211

I watched it last night after Desperate Housewives and it was actually really good. I thought that it would be kinda bad but it was surprisingly good and i hope it doesnt get cancelled. For those who dont know what its about :

Brothers and Sisters

Brothers and Sisters is a compelling, new one-hour primetime drama from executive producers Ken Olin and playwright Jon Robin Baitz about the California-based Walker family. In the series, we meet a collection of incredibly intertwined and somewhat damaged adult siblings who embrace one another unconditionally while striving to reflect the perceived perfection of their role model parents. In the days ahead, they will navigate waves of temptation, deception and grief.

Brothers and Sisters follows the Walkers through the maze of American life today -- the pressures, limitless options and the struggle to grow beyond our backgrounds into ourselves. Through these fascinating siblings -- Sarah (Rachel Griffiths), the corporate VP who returns to the family business so she can give to her marriage as much as she does to her career; Tommy (Balthazar Getty), the loyal son yet charming womanizer; Kevin (Matthew Rhys), the gay lawyer cautiously learning about love; Justin (Dave Annable), the baby of the family, grappling with war trauma and addiction; and Kitty (Calista Flockhart), right-wing radio host turned TV pundit who has always been Daddy's little girl -- the show explores what it means to be a family in the 21st century, and how these brothers and sisters balance their own lives as they strive to accept their parents as people -- flawed, contradictory and forgivable -- rather than just as a father and mother.

The parents are Tom Skerritt as William Walker, the larger-than-life patriarch and president of the family business, and Sally Field as Nora Holden, the opinionated wife and mother to the five Walker siblings. Then there's Ron Rifkin as Saul Holden, Nora's dandyish brother; John Pyper-Ferguson as Sarah's husband, Joe; Sarah Jane Morris as Tommy's wife, Julia; and Patricia Wettig as the mystery woman who could bring the Walkers and their company down.

Brothers and Sisters stars Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal) as Kitty, Rachel Griffiths (Six Feet Under) as Sarah, Sally Field (Norman Rae) as Nora Holden, Ron Rifkin (Alias) as Saul Holden, Patricia Wettig (thirtysomething) as Holly, Balthazar Getty (Alias) as Thomas, Dave Annable (Reunion) as Justin, Matthew Rhys (Titus, Love and other Disasters) as Kevin, John Pyper-Ferguson (Unforgiven, Nightstalker) as Joe and Sarah Jane Morris (Felicity) as Julia.

Ken Olin (Alias, thirtysomething), Jon Robin Baitz (The Substance of Fire, The West Wing) and Greg Berlanti (Everwood) are executive producers. The series is produced by Touchstone Television.

Cast

Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, Sally Field, Ron Rifkin, Patricia Wettig, Balthazar Getty, Dave Annable, Matthew Rhys, John Pyper-Ferguson and Sarah Jane Morris.

Watch the next episode on Sunday October 1st at 11PM right after Desparate Housewives

Good Luck to this show and all the newbies this season.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Brothers & Sisters

by Mary Kate Weber

September 24, 2006: Patriarchy

Even with William's death and Kitty's tentative reconciliation with her mother in tonight's premiere of Brothers & Sisters, the first thing my mind went to when the show was over was Kitty and her mom's cringe-worthy fake hug for William's benefit. It just seemed so sad to actually clarify that the hug was for show and didn't mean anything - and that was far from the only illusion in the Walker household. Mom and Dad might not actually have been the perfect couple their kids always thought they were, and patriarch William in particular seemed to have a lot to hide. Did he cheat on his wife? Or did that woman he seemed to be secretively talking to have something to do with the family business' obvious problems?

Speaking of the family business, Sarah sure doesn't seem happy about her decision to become a part of it. Although her marital problems didn't seem like much of a secret, I'm guessing that her feelings for her former coworker are probably complicating things in a way that no one realizes. I wonder if whatever she feels for him complicated an already existing problem with her husband, or if her feelings for him were actually the start of the problem.

And what about Ally... oops, I mean Kitty. It's hard not to think of Calista Flockhart that way. I was a little confused by her not talking to her mom for three years. The family seems so close, at least in terms of the amount of time they spend together, if not in the things they actually know about each other. But I guess it goes without saying that families are pretty complicated, so maybe we are supposed to assume that any attempts the brothers and sisters made at reconciling the two had failed. I did think Kitty seemed a little like the fifth wheel when the siblings were all together, but maybe that had as much to do with her living across the country in New York as it did with her politics.

Another thing that struck me was the skinny comments (i.e., Kitty telling Justin he was too thin), which I suppose was the show's way of acknowledging or maybe even poking fun at all the attention Calista's weight got during the Ally McBeal years. But she's still very thin, so I'm not exactly sure what point they were trying to make.

Posted by Mary Kate Weber 09/25/06 12:21 AM

• 2 months later...