2006 American Music Awards

TV_Paige

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Peppers, Peas, Mariah Spice Up AMAs

black-eyed-peas.jpg

Black Eyed Peas

If the folks behind the American Music Awards are trying to reverse the perception of being the most predictable award show out there, well, they aren't doing themselves any favors with this year's list of nominees.

For the second consecutive year, despite having failed to release an album in nearly 18 months, Mariah Carey leads the nominations at the Dick Clark-produced trophyfest. Carey, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Black Eyed Peas and Nickelback each snagged a field-best three nods for the "2006 American Music Awards."

For her part, "The Emancipation of Mimi" songbird is once again up for Favorite Female Artist in both the Pop/Rock and Soul/Rhythm & Blues categories, as well as a nod for Favorite Album in the latter category.

rhcppic.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, who also led the nominations for last month's MTV Video Music Awards, are competing for Favorite Artist in the Alternative Music category, and Favorite Band, Duo or Group and Favorite Album for their chart-topping "Stadium Arcadium" in the Pop/Rock field. Their primary challenger in all three races seems to be Nickelback.

As for Fergie and her fellow Peas, their "Monkey Business" is up for Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album and the group will vie for Favorite Artist in both Rap/Hip-Hop and Soul/Rhythm & Blues. In the redundantly named Favorite New Breakthrough Artist race, Carrie Underwood and Pussycat Dolls will do battle with Chamillionaire.

Also racking up multiple nominations were virtually any artists who managed to score some airplay this year: Mary J. Blige, Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, Kanye West, Jamie Foxx, Rascal Flatts, T.I., Carrie Underwood and Pussycats Dolls all scored two nods apiece.

112360914_9f07689a2c_m.jpg

'High School Musical'

Other nominations include Disney's hugely popular "High School Musical" soundtrack competing against the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nickelback for Favorite Pop/Rock Album. Johnny Cash earned a posthumous nod, as his "The Legend of Johnny Cash" faces off against Tim McGraw's "Greatest Hits Volume 2" and Rascal Flatts' "Me & My Gang" for Favorite Country Album.

Comedian/TV Talk Show Host Jimmy Kimmel will return as host of the 2006 American Music Awards for the third time. Beyonce, Josh Groban and nominees Mary J. Blige and Carrie Underwood are scheduled to perform at the ceremony.

Winners will be selected by a nationwide poll. The awards will be doled out live at the Shrine Auditorium on Tuesday, November 21 on ABC at 8 p.m. A complete list of nominations follows below:

• 2 weeks later...

ama06_logo250x170.jpg

2006 American Music Awards

(winners will appear highlighted in red)

Pop/Rock

Favorite Male Artist

Nick Lachey

Sean Paul

Kanye West

Favorite Female Artist

Mariah Carey

Kelly Clarkson

Nelly Furtado

Favorite Band, Duo or Group

Nickelback

Pussycat Dolls

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Favorite Album

"All the Right Reasons" - Nickelback

"Stadium Arcadium" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"High School Musical" - Various Artists

092005_amalg.jpg

Country

Favorite Male Artist

Kenny Chesney

Toby Keith

Keith Urban

Favorite Female Artist

Faith Hill

Carrie Underwood

Gretchen Wilson

Brooks & Dunn

Montgomery Gentry

Rascal Flatts

Favorite Album

"Legend of Johnny Cash" - Johnny Cash

"Greatest Hits Volume 2" - Tim McGraw

"Me and My Gang" - Rascal Flatts

092005_amalg.jpg

Soul/Rhythm & Blues

Favorite Male Artist

Chris Brown

Jamie Foxx

NE-YO

Favorite Female Artist

Mary J. Blige

Mariah Carey

Keyshia Cole

The Black Eyed Peas

The Isley Brothers

Jagged Edge

Favorite Album

"The Breakthrough" - Mary J. Blige

"The Emancipation of Mimi" - Mariah Carey

"Unpredictable" - Jamie Foxx

092005_amalg.jpg

Rap/Hip-Hop

Favorite Male Artist

Eminem

T.I.

Kanye West

The Black Eyed Peas

Dem Franchize Boyz

Three 6 Mafia

Favorite Album

"Monkey Business" - The Black Eyed Peas

"Curtain Call" - Eminem

"King" - T.I.

092005_amalg.jpg

Adult Contemporary

Favorite Artist

Michael Bubl

• 1 month later...

ap_100.jpg

Kelly Clarkson and Rascal Flatts Win Big at AMAs

rascalflatts_ama.jpg

Rascal Flatts was named Favorite Country Group and chosen for

the T-Mobile Text-In Award by viewers

Kelly Clarkson, The Black Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rascal Flatts were double-winners on Tuesday, November 21 at the "2006 American Music Awards." Clarkson took an early lead by capturing trophies for Pop/Rock Female and Adult Contemporary Artist Awards given before the televised presentations.

As one of the first on-air award recepients, Mary J. Blige accepted the Female Soul/Rhythm & Blues Artist Award from surprise presenter Britney Spears. The newly single Spears looked sleek in a knee-length cream-colored frock and long blond hair.

In a strong performance-filled show, Nickelback took home the trophy for Pop/Rock Album. Dancehall Artist Sean Paul was named Favorite Male Artist in the Pop/Rock category.

blackeyedpeas_ama.jpg

The Black Eyed Peas perform in concert onstage in Costa Rica

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were named Favorite Alternative Artist and Favorite Pop/Rock Group. The group accepted their awards via satellite from London, with bass player Flea beat-boxing as lead singer Anthony Kiedis thanked "the American people."

The Black Eyed Peas also accepted their awards from abroad, thanking fans via satellite from Costa Rica for being named Favorite Group in the Rap/Hip-Hop and Soul/Rhythm & Blues categories. Eminem captured the Favorite Male Rap/Hip-Hop Artist trophy.

Oscar winner Jamie Foxx was named Favorite Male Soul/Rhythm & Blues Artist. "I'm like a rookie in this music thing," he said. "This means a lot more than you think, man." Foxx wore a white tuxedo and sat behind a grand piano to perform "Wish U Were Here" from his 2005 album, "Unpredictable."

carrie2_ama.jpg

'Idol' winner Carrie Underwood took home

Favorite New Breakthrough Artist Award

Among country honors, Favorite Female Artist went to Faith Hill. While her husband, Tim McGraw's CD, "Greatest Hits Volume 2" won the award as Favorite Album. Country singer and 'American Idol' Carrie Underwood was named Favorite New Breakthrough Artist.

While some awards were announced off camera before the ABC broadcast, Country phenomenon, Rascal Flatts saw plenty of air time. Rascal Flatts performed their hit song from the animated film, "Cars" soundtrack before winning Favorite Country Group and the T-Mobile Text-In award, which is chosen by fans.

Shakira won Favorite Latin Artist while Kirk Franklin captured the award for Contemporary Inspirational Music. "I know that a lot of people that say that they're Christians you know, we don't always represent," Franklin said in his acceptance speech.

ama_kimmel.jpg

'2006 American Music Awards' Host Jimmy Kimmel

"They say we don't always live it and we do sometimes some very stupid things, and you know we're not doing a good job," said Franklin, wearing blue jeans with a black velvet tuxedo jacket. "I want to make sure that when you see my life that it's a life that I'm gonna be proud of."

Talk-show host Jimmy Kimmel kicked off the three-hour ceremony at the Shrine Auditorium, televised live on ABC, with a skit that placed Spears' ex, Kevin Federline, into a wooden crate dumped into the ocean. Kimmel cracked that Federline was the world's first "no-hit wonder."

Beyonce began the show, belting out her single, "Irreplaceable," while vamping around the stage in a sparkly sequined minidress. The Pussycat Dolls also chose sequins for their performance, while Nelly Furtado opted for a skin-tight white dress and stick-straight hair.

stefani_ama.jpg

Gwen Stefani performs 'Wind It Up'

Gwen Stefani made a stylish return to the music scene, performing the single, "Wind It Up," from her forthcoming album, "The Sweet Escape." The new mom, wearing a skimpy sequined shift and a shoulder-length platinum bob, yodeled and rapped convincingly throughout the tune.

Not to be outdone, rapper Jay-Z stepped out of retirement and back into the spotlight, accompanied by scantily clad dancers as he performed the single, "Show Me What You Got," from his new record, "Kingdom Come."

Making light of the recent Kelly Ripa controversy, "American Idol" Clay Aiken showed he had a sense of humor about it all at the award ceremony. A very pregnant co-presenter, Tori Spelling, interrupted Aiken's introduction by covering his mouth with her hand and joking, "And, I KNOW where this hand has been!"

tori_clay_ama.jpg

Co-Presenters Tori Spelling, left, and Clay Aiken poke fun at his

recent controversy with TV Talk Show Host Kelly Ripa

Lionel Richie made a festive return to the American Music Awards. Introduced by his diminutive daughter, Nicole Richie, the former Commodore performed a medley that included his '80s party anthem, "All Night Long." Barry Manilow performed a medley of favorites from his latest collection, "The Greatest Songs of the Sixties."

The vibe and the clothes were casual on the red carpet as the stars arrived. Chamillionaire, nominated for Favorite New Breakthrough Artist, wore a sleek brown suit and orange tie. "This is the first time I've ever worn a tie, so this is big," he said. "It's just stepping out of the box a little bit. People expect me to wear a hoodie."

The American Music Awards honor the best in Pop/Rock, Country, Soul/Rhythm & Blues, Rap/Hip Hop, Latin, Alternative, Adult Contemporary and Contemporary Inspirational Music. Nominees were chosen based on record sales and winners were selected by a survey of about 20,000 listeners.

ap_100.jpg

"American Idol" at the American Music Awards

carrie_ama.jpg

Carrie Underwood

LOS ANGELES, California -- Carrie Underwood, giddy after her American Music Award win for Breakthrough Artist, took time backstage to clear up a few concerns from another recent awards show, the Country Music Awards.

Underwood said that superstar Faith Hill was kidding when she screamed "What?" to the camera in what looked like anger when she lost the CMA Female Vocalist of the Year Award to Underwood. "That night I actually spoke to her immediately after the awards show was over. She assured me she was just joking," said Underwood.

The 2005 "American Idol" champ also credited the hit reality TV competition for her increasing fame. "I owe everything that I do or will do to 'American Idol,'" she said, noting that her win, plus former 'Idol' Kelly Clarkson's in two categories "does give the show more credibility."

But what about Clarkson being a no-show to the ceremony, and her past remarks that were critical of 'Idol?' Underwood said, "I've never had to say anything negative about 'American Idol' because everyone has been so supportive of me."

Taylor Hicks Merits Weird Al Parody

weirdal_chamillionaire_ama.jpghicks150x180_ama.jpg

Weird Al Yankovic mingled with rapper Chamillionaire and 'Idol' Taylor Hicks

Weird Al Yankovic came "Straight Outta Lynwood" to the American Music Awards, mingling with some of the artists he's parodied, including "American Idol" Taylor Hicks and rapper Chamillionaire.

"I get to rub elbows with a lot of people I've been mocking for years," Yankovic said on the Shrine Auditorium's red carpet, wearing a blue and white jacket declaring the name of his new album, "Straight Outta Lynwood," the Los Angeles-area community where he grew up.

Yankovic did a parody of Hicks on the song, "Do I Creep You Out?" but he said Hicks was a good sport. Hicks, standing a few feet away, agreed. "It's cool," said the tan and tall singer. "What's there to be mad at?"

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name