Evangeline Lilly as Kate

Jem

Evangeline Lilly as Kate

lost5.jpg

Evangeline Lilly's combination of irresistible charm and natural talent is earning her a reputation as one of the most promising young actresses in Hollywood.

Three years ago Lilly was discovered by a Ford agent on the streets of Kelowna, BC, but passed up an offer to sign with the agency. While acting had been a dream of hers since she was a teenager, she abandoned the notion for the more aesthetic dream of working in international relations. Six months later Lilly moved to Vancouver to attend the University of British Columbia and decided to sign with Ford to help pay for tuition. After appearing in a few commercials, she decided to give up acting and focus on studying. A couple of years later, a friend urged her to give acting another shot and, after a role in Kingdom Hospital, Lilly caught the acting bug.

Lilly founded and ran a world development and human rights committee at her university. She has lived under a grass hut in the jungles of the Philippines with a missionary group, and has been a volunteer for children's projects since the age of 14.

Lilly is fluent in French and loves ice skating, canoeing, kayaking, snowboarding and rock climbing.

• 1 month later...

Evangeline Lilly makes Maxim Hot 100

Source - CBC Arts

lillyevangeline_cp_6982033.jpg

Evangeline Lilly appears at this year's

Golden Globes ceremony in January. (AP photo)

NEW YORK - Canadian actress Evangeline Lilly has made Maxim magazine's Hot 100 list.

The Fort Saskatchewan, Alta.-born performer stars as Kate Ryan on Lost, the ABC drama that is one of the most buzzed-about new shows of the season.

Lilly is the runner-up in the annual ranking, topped only by Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria. "These are the women whose names are on the lips of people the world over, whose careers are headed for the dizziest heights and whose looks will scorch the back off your retina," said Maxim's editor-in-chief, Ed Needham. In the words of the official ABC website, Lilly's "combination of irresistible charm and natural talent is earning her a reputation as one of the most promising young actresses in Hollywood."

A former flight attendant from a missionary family, Lilly studied international relations at the University of British Columbia.

She was reportedly approached by an agent from the house of Ford, who spotted her on the streets of Kelowna. She turned down the modeling offer, but later became an actress. Along with Emmanuelle Vaugier, Lilly is considered by some to be one of this country's most promising young actresses.

Lilly's role on Lost is her first speaking part. The series tells the story of a group of passengers who are stranded on a magical island after a plane crash.

Singer Avril Lavigne also made the list, coming in at No. 36. In last year's poll, Shania Twain ranked 40th.

Maxim is one of the best-known lad's mags, publications devoted to young men that feature photos of scantily clad women in provocative poses. The monthly's editors choose the Hot 100.

Guest XandraSkye
She deserves to make the Hot 100! She is such a cutie! She looked great in last night's episode. She's beautiful with or without make-up. If I was a guy I'd totally be in love with her.

Guest Anonymous
She was absolutely adorable on Regis and Kelly. Very lovely. And smart and funny. Regis looked completely charmed by her.

• 3 months later...

Lost star Evangeline Lilly defends show

Source

Lost star Evangeline Lilly has blasted criticism the cast of the hit US TV drama look too glamorous to be real plane crash survivors.

The 26-year-old model-turned-actress, who plays Kate Austin in the show, claims her character looks as realistic as possible because she's always covered in dirt and is not allowed to brush her hair during filming.

She insists, "How I wake up is how my hair stays in the show.

"We wear almost no make-up and a lot of dirt and oil. They cover us in it.

"I'm disappointed that we come across as perfectly manicured and coiffed as my nails are always filthy, my hands are always scratched up and I've always got bruises all over my body.

"I think I look exactly how I would if I was genuinely stranded on a tropical island."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lilly's Lost panties

BANG

(BANG) - Producers of hit TV series 'Lost' have drafted in special bodyguards after sexy actress Evangeline Lilly had her panties stolen.

The underwear heist is thought to be the latest harassment by the show's fans desperate to get close to their onscreen idols.

26-year-old Lilly said she was amazed when a close friend saw a teenage boy snatch the underwear from a washing line.

The beautiful brunette is quoted by the Contact Music website as saying: "A friend was in the shower when there was a knock at the door.

"When she answered it, she saw a boy stealing my knickers off the washing line."

Show bosses have now taken the decision to hire extra security.

A set insider explained: "Apart from Evangeline's underwear, Josh has had some items stolen from his home and Matthew and his family have been hounded by fanatical fans."

The Canadian Press BANG Media International

• 3 weeks later...

Lost's Lilly blossoms

By Gayle Macdonald

Evangeline Lilly went from dead-body bit parts to starring in one of the most-watched shows on TV. The Alberta native says the worst part about being famous is losing her anonymity.

As budding actresses go, they don't get much greener than Evangeline Lilly. The tomboy/sexpot, who stars as the enigmatic Kate Austen on ABC's Lost, says she'd never had a "speaking" role before being asked by series co-creator J.J. Abrams to join the 48 other survivors of the doomed Oceanic Air flight 815.

Lilly -- who was born in Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., and grew up in small-town British Columbia -- laughs that she was such an acting novice that she'd also never heard the word "pilot" (except, of course, the uniform-wearing kind who sit in cockpits). So when her agent suggested she do an audition tape for this new quirky show, she assumed "I didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell."

But Lilly nailed it. Abrams, who had been looking for weeks for the ideal Kate, loved her freckles, her smart mouth and her drop-dead gorgeous looks. On a leap of faith that she would learn to act -- and fast -- he hired her.

Overnight, the 26-year-old became a household name, recognized by fans everywhere as Kate, a fugitive on the lam, a girl who unwittingly caused the death of her teenage love, knocked off a bank, and likely has a whack more nefarious secrets up her sleeve.

"I was flown down to L.A. to meet J.J. and the others two weeks before shooting the pilot was set to begin," says Lilly, speaking over the phone from the Lost set on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. "They were on such an incredible time squeeze. It was a whirlwind two or three days and a total head-spinning kind of experience," she adds. Her only other trip to California was years earlier on a family holiday to Disneyland.

Lilly got the definitive phone call shortly after, back home in her Vancouver apartment. "I started jumping around the room. But a part of me was terrified. When I decided to audition, I wasn't thinking I wanted this to be my life goal. I did it on a whim. The way I came to grips with it is that I told myself it was just a pilot -- not a lifetime commitment -- and if I hated it, I could just leave."

Soon enough, it was goodbye to her days hanging out with her two sisters and close circle of friends. Lilly was a student at the time at the University of British Columbia, where she studied international relations. To pay the tuition, she waited tables at Earls, picked up the odd commercial (Lilly can still be caught on late-night TV as the face for a "fun" and "flirty" dating chat line called Livelinks), and worked as a lowly extra on Vancouver-shot TV shows such as Smallville, The L Word and films like White Chicks.

She had no inkling that the desert-island drama would turn into a ratings phenomenon. "I remember Matthew [Fox, the former Party of Five alumnus who plays Lost's Dr. Jack Shephard] said it's going to be a Lord of the Rings type of thing, meaning it'll either completely bomb or it'll be huge," she recalls. "He predicted it would either go over everyone's head, or be the next big cult following. "I'm a pretty skeptical person and I'm a realistic person. In the early days, the buzz built around it, but I was still hesitant to wager on it. Even after the first show aired and we had 20 million viewers, I was still convinced it was just hype."

But now Lost holds firmly to its status as a powerhouse. (In Canada, over 2 million viewers have tuned in this season.) Lilly figures the reason it resonates with viewers is this simple: "North America has been crying out for intelligent TV for so long. People were fed up with reality shows about midgets getting married and weird Jerry Springer talk shows. There had been a real dry spell of intelligent family-oriented viewing, the type of program that mom, dad and the kids can all watch together.

With Lost, there are just so many characters for people to invest in. So everyone can find at least one person they can relate to."

The premise is unabashedly far-fetched: Four dozen survivors, all possibly connected to one another in some yet-unexplained way, roam an island full of deadly threats and secret hatches -- the origins of which are being gradually revealed. Lost fans hang on every twist, and in anticipation of tonight's episode, they're in a frenzy: The network let slip that one of the central characters is about to be killed.

Such plot points, Lilly says, are a closely guarded secret; and she and her fellow actors only get a preview of the scripts shortly before they shoot each new episode. It's unlikely, though, that Kate will be the one to go down this evening.

After all, it would be damn near impossible to fill her place on the island -- she's a gal who hikes and fights with the best of the guys, sweats profusely but never looks too mussed, helped deliver a baby in the middle of the jungle, and at the end of a tough day, can emerge from the ocean's froth in a teeny bikini that leaves male viewers weak-kneed. (Lilly, who is rumoured to be dating her Lost co-star Dominic Monaghan, was voted second on Maxim Magazine's sexiest women in the world list.) Born Nicole Evangeline Lilly, the five-foot-five brunette was raised Baptist and Mennonite and moved with her family to Abbotsford, B.C., where she went to high school.

After graduating, she says she worked for a "rinky dink" airline and later waitressed in Kelowna, B.C. It was in that picturesque town that a rep for the Ford modelling agency spotted her on the street and handed her a business card. Lilly pocketed it, and only pulled it out three years later when she was back at university finding it difficult to make monthly ends meet. She called the rep, who linked Lilly up with commercials and extra work, like playing a dead body in Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital. "I liked doing those things because I could hang out, do my homework, and basically get paid to study," she says.

Relatively new to the whole celebrity thing, she says the only thing she misses about her old life is anonymity. "I was a very, intensely private person before this all began," she says. "I've never wanted to be famous, and I still don't. I don't really like it very much, but I know it's the price you have to pay to do the job I want to do."

The biggest perk? She laughs and says the money. She also now has the financial freedom to support missionary charities she could not have before. "I have some clout now, and I like that," says Lilly, who founded and ran a world-development and human-rights committee at UBC. She also browbeat Lost's cast and crew to start recycling. "I'm always biting people's heads off."

With celebrity, you lose privacy, adds Lilly. "But you gain the means to have freedom and fun. "I've been able to do things with my friends and family that I'd never be able to do. Right now my sister's [in Hawaii] visiting me from Canada. My family isn't well off, and she would never have been able to come out to Hawaii on her own. To fly my sister out is a gift for myself."

• 4 months later...

"Lost" Star Finds New Gig

eonlinesmlogo.gif

By Gina Serpe

Evangeline Lilly is no carpetbagger. But thanks to a seemingly anomalous endorsement deal, she is a carpet seller. The actress best known to TV viewers as Lost castaway Kate Austen has signed a deal with the upscale Karastan company to feature in four print ads for the rug manufacturer. "We've scratched beneath the surface of the public persona of Evangeline Lilly and found quite an impressive and authentic young woman who's independent, adventuresome, a goal-setter and a caring humanitarian," David Duncan, the company's VP of Marketing, said in a statement.

"She possesses extraordinary qualities and has great integrity and we already see many parallels between her and the Karastan customer who seeks out a distinctive, unapologetic lifestyle."

According to Adweek, the spots will begin running in the April issues of several lifestyle magazines, including Martha Stewart Living, O the Oprah Magazine, Architectural Digest, Metropolitan Home, House & Garden, Real Simple and Town & Country.

Two of the full-page spreads will be devoted to Karastan's rugs while the other two will feature, in addition to Lilly, the company's carpets. Miami-based fashion photographer Mateo Garcis shot the ads, which will all run with the tagline, "Make a statement. Your own."

While it remains to be seen what statement Lilly, 26, is looking to make by aligning herself with a carpet merchant, albeit a premiere luxury one, she will be in good company. The Lost thesp is the second major celebrity to endorse the Dalton, Ga., based company, following in the footsteps of Andie MacDowell.

And just because the actress is lending her face to the magazine spots doesn't mean viewers will be seeing less of her.

The actress recently signed a hefty six-figure deal along with her original Lost cast mates to return for a third season of the ratings-juggernaut.

Lilly's character crisis

wenn11.jpg

evangeline0911lf.jpg

Evangeline Lilly

Evangeline Lilly insists her first months playing Kate Austen in hit TV series Lost were terrifying because she knew nothing about her character and was intimidated by her co-stars.

The Canadian actress, who kicked off her career by appearing in TV commercials, was starstruck by her talented colleagues on set, and her nervousness only grew when her character's identity was left a mystery.

Lilly was even kept from knowing the reason she is handcuffed on the ill-fated plane trip, and begged series creator JJ Abrams, "C'mon, give me a ballpark idea: Am I a fireworks smuggler or a murderer?"

She adds, "The first year was very hard. I was surrounded by breathtaking actors, and I felt very insecure about performing next to them. I thought I was going to fall flat on my face. "The first year I just kept thinking, 'Well, there has to be a point, a reason I'm here.'

"Otherwise, it wouldn't have happened the way it happened: in such a magical and spontaneous way."

• 4 weeks later...

Very long article from Elle.com

Paradise Found

Elle.com

By Andrew Goldman

elle7ya.jpg

Evangeline Lilly

Photographed By Giles Bensimon

In her own comfort zone between the sacred and the sensual, the divine and the profane, 'LOST' Evangeline Lilly cuts and enigmatic figure. And she's just getting started making a difference.

It's just after 8 a.m. on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, and the 26-year-old actress Evangeline Lilly pads into her kitchen in a pair of terry-cloth slippers and puts a kettle on the stove. She's been up for hours, having just taken the puddle jumper from Kauai, where she spent the last two days climbing trees and chasing toads for ELLE's photo shoot. Even the big Starbucks latte she drank earlier hasn't erased the puffiness around her eyes. She drops a couple of Irish breakfast tea bags into mismatched earthenware mugs, plunks down at her kitchen table, and apologizes. "I'm so hopped up on caffeine right now," she says almost regally, suggesting there have been elocution lessons in her past. "It's very uncouth of me, but that's what I'm doing."

In the realm of Hollywood excess, caffeine jitters probably wouldn't set off any couth alarms. Exiting the bathroom with a noticeable ring of powder around your nostrils might not even qualify as bad form anymore. It also would have been well within the realm of couth for Lilly to have let me fend for myself finding her bungalow, tucked away in the suburban town of Kailua, rather than calling before I left New York with specific driving directions from my Waikiki hotel through the verdant Koolau Mountain range. She even advised me to pack a sweater. This is the kind of practicality that you might expect from your nana, not the breakout female star of the goliath series that won six Emmys and helped put ABC back on top in the ratings war. But if you know anything about Lilly's history, none of this will surprise you. Her story could be seen as a Hollywood take on the Greystoke legend. Until she was cast in Lost, her most notable speaking role had been in a commercial for a cheesy Canadian chat line; she had no idea that the word pilot meant anything other than a guy who flies a plane. When asked once what item she would take if marooned on a deserted island, the former Sunday school teacher didn't answer a gun, a lighter, or a Whole Foods. She said, "My Bible." She spent her hiatus after wrapping the first season of Lost helping a friend doing missionary relief work in Rwanda.

So, predictably, this Sunday morning, everything about Lilly remains supercouth, almost churchy. New Age music plays softly on the stereo as she conducts a tour of the modest whitewash bungalow she shares with two women who have both done stand-in work for her on Lost. She evinces thrifty pride in pointing out the well-worn '70s-era brown leather furniture she picked up at a Salvation Army when she arrived on the island two years ago, which imbues the place with a post-college-pad vibe. "I furnished my entire living room for about $300! Don't you think it makes sense?" exclaims the woman who will soon make about $80,000 an episode, but still has no plans for redecoration or booting those roommates to the curb, even though one of them, she discovers, has polished off her milk without replacing it. At least there's a water view, sort of. "There are rumors that it has flesh-eating disease in it," Lilly says, gazing at the muddy canal that passes behind her house. Hundreds of nasty-looking fish clamor at the surface. "But I know it's not true because I've been completely immersed in it." Sweet girl, she even cautions me to mind my feet in the grass, since it's dewy in the morning. It's all very proper, that is, until the second cup of tea. As she's pouring hot water from the kettle, Lilly motions to the plate with the tea bags between us. "Do you want me to put your bag in?" she asks. Crystalline green eyes wide and her face explodes into a mischievous smile. "That's what he said!" she says, unleashing a throaty laugh you'll never hear in a million years on Lost.

Evangeline Lilly, perhaps because of the show she's on, defies being taken at face value. Lost demands that viewers hone their paranoia to a needle point. Even the X-Files, which, in its day, acquired a similar brand of superloyal obsessive fans, seems quaint with its defining mantra, Trust no one. Lost's defining mantra seems to be, Nothing is as it seems, and don't even try to guess what the hell's going on here. The setup is straightforward: A jumbo jet en route from Sydney, Australia, to Los Angeles flies severely off course and breaks apart midair, dropping 48 surviving passengers on a seemingly deserted island. From there, it gets weird. There are other nonindigenous folks encamped on the island. They have guns, poor hygiene, and an unsettling habit of abducting children. There's an underground bunker left behind by a scientific corporation which demands that its occupants punch a series of numbers into a computer every 108 minutes for God knows what reason. Oh, and there's a resident polar bear. And even if you do watch the show, none of this makes any sense.

Neither, for that matter, does Lilly's character, Kate Austen. At first blush, Kate is the picture of moral rectitude, a real good camper. She seldom complains and, despite not having much to do besides pick fruit and get abducted by the occasional armed horde, resists passing any of that free time horizontally with either of her gorgeous suitors.

Then we find out that precrash, Kate robbed a bank and killed at least one guy. This discovery might be actually less jarring than hearing Lilly

• 8 months later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Lost' Star's Hawaiian Home Destroyed in Fire

Actress and her housemates were absent at the time

December 20, 2006

25749832.jpg

Evangeline Lilly on 'Lost'

After surviving a plane crash on "Lost," Evangeline Lilly has avoided tragedy in real life when her house burned down.

The actress' Kailua, Hawaii home that she rents with two crew members was completely lost in a fire, reports People.

"Yes, it is unfortunately true that her home in Hawaii burned down this morning," says publicist the Cara Tripicchio. "Thankfully, Evangeline is safe as she was on set already when it occurred."

Nobody was inside at the time of the blaze.

"When we arrived the house was fully engulfed," says Honolulu Fire Capt. Kenison Tejada. "It was a complete loss. Just the roof was still standing."

So far, a cause for the fire hasn't been determined. "There is no official statement, and I have no further comment or information to provide at this time," adds Tripicchio.

Lilly, 27, has been dating castmate Dominic Monaghan, of "Lord of the Rings" fame. On the hit ABC show, she plays Kate, a woman with a criminal past who gets a new start on the island. When last we saw her, she and Sawyer (Josh Holloway) had been confined to polar bear cages and were attempting to make a break for it when Sawyer gets caught and held at gunpoint.

I looked at the picture before I read the article and I thought she got arrested for something. It looks like a mug shot but with a different background. :lol:

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Feeling Lost? Here's Our Guide to Kate Austen

by Mario DiMaio

Monday, January 28, 2008

080128int4lillylost.jpg

Evangeline Lilly as Lost's Kate

Our favorite castaways thus far have been on the island a few months, but for Lost fans, it's been more than 260 days since Jack's super-freaky flash-forward. As the Jan. 31 season premiere (finally) draws closer, TVGuide.com is offering daily profiles