Matthew Fox as Jack

Jem

Matthew Fox as Jack

lost1.jpg

Matthew Fox is an actor cut from the proverbial leading man cloth, carrying himself with strong charisma and a powerful presence.

Fox is best known for starring in the hugely successful series, Party of Five, winner of the 1996 Golden Globe for Best Drama. He has other numerous credits, which include a starring role in the critically acclaimed series, Haunted and the made-for-television movie, Behind the Mask.

Hailing from a ranch in Wyoming, where his family raised horses and barley, Fox enjoyed the all-American upbringing that led him to play football at Columbia University, where he also studied economics. With every intent of being a successful Wall Street broker, Fox instead was swayed to modeling, which led to some commercial spots, and he has been sold on acting ever since.

• 1 month later...

050508fox.jpg

Matthew's moral center

As crash survivor and resident doctor Jack Shephard, Matthew Fox, 38, is "Lost's" anchor, the guy other survivors turn to for leadership. It's a role in which Fox, best known for playing eldest brother Charlie on "Party of Five," thrives. He chatted with us recently from Hawaii.

What are some of "Lost's" deeper themes?

The show makes a comment on technology. People are spending so many hours in front of computers and on cellphones, we don't pay attention to the people around us. "Lost" strips away not just the rules of society, but also the way we live our lives today.

Jack is the show's moral compass. Will his values survive in this new society where there are no rules?

These characters are not always going to act the way you expect. The good doctor is not always going to be good. He is going to be tested to go into very deep-gray areas. And that is very realistic and fascinating.

He does have a lot of angst. What about the other survivors? How will the island affect them?

It is not an accident that these people are on the island. I am sure they are each there for a reason -- to find themselves personally, spiritually, philosophically through some epic struggle.

When have you felt most lost?

Just before both [my] children came into the world. If you don't feel lost before that happens, you're probably not approaching parenthood with enough respect. We need moments like that to figure out who we are and where we want to go. -- Michele Hatty (From USA Weekend Magazine 5/8/05)

CFDaddy

Celebs saddle up for the Derby

By Larry Birkhead, special for USA TODAY

Giacomo, the horse that won Saturday's Kentucky Derby, may have been a virtual unknown, but Louisville was filled with A-listers who turned out for the big race and Derby Eve festivities.

The odds-on favorite party to attend Friday was the Barnstable Brown bash hosted by Priscilla Barnstable and Patricia Barnstable Brown, famous as the twins in the '70s Doublemint gum ads.

Grammy-winning singer Usher, actress Rebecca Romijn and beau Jerry O'Connell, actor Cuba Gooding Jr., Lost's Matthew Fox, crooner Josh Groban and rocker Kid Rock were among the celebs who showed at the $1,200-a-head fundraiser to benefit diabetes research. The bash was held at Barnstable Brown's house.

From E!

Matthew Fox (Jack)

I just scolded Josh for stealing your girl. (see Josh thread)

[Laughs.] Hey, he hasn't stolen her at all! Anybody who knows anything about anything will tell you that's an interim thing. Those two characters are sort of finding solace in their own problems.

You don't think Jack and Kate belong together?

Jack is a really--he has his own problems, and he's harder on himself than anyone would be, but he has a very relentless moral compass. And so, I think Kate and Sawyer both feel like they have a hard time living up to his demands of what is right and wrong and what should be happening. That's always going to get in the way of the Jack and Kate thing, until either Jack becomes a little more gray, or Kate becomes a little more solid in her decision-making.

Are you freaked out by the screaming fans?

No, it's great. We kind of work in a little bit of a bubble over in Hawaii. We're somewhat disconnected with all of this. So, for us to be here and be together and meet the fans and get some direct feedback from the audience, we're loving it. It really doesn't get any better than this.

Matthew Fox Wonders About a 'Lost' Love

By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The first season of "Lost" is likely to conclude with at least a few of the many questions it raised left unanswered.

In "Do No Harm," the Wednesday, April 6, episode of ABC's hit drama about plane-crash survivors stranded on a mysterious island, flashbacks showed a chapter in the love life of castaway Jack Shepard (Matthew Fox), a neurosurgeon.

He operated on a woman named Sarah (Julie Bowen, "Ed"), who suffered a broken back in a car accident. Along the way, Jack fell in love with Sarah, and the flashbacks showed the events leading up to and including their wedding (but stopping just shy of the actual "I dos."). Jack apparently was having some doubts, which he expressed poolside to his estranged father (John Terry).

Although some fans may wonder if Jack bolted right before saying the fateful vows, Fox has another idea. "I think people walked away from that," he says, "feeling that that they did see the full wedding ceremony, and that they are married. But the really cool thing was like, holy s**t, now they flash back, and we realize that Jack's never mentioned anything. He doesn't have a wedding ring on. He's never mentioned anything about a wife. "So, somewhere between three and four years, maybe five years, before we meet him on the plane as our hero, this guy was married to a woman that he absolutely adored. So what the hell happened in the interim? How did that come to an end? "A lot of the story for next year on Jack will be about exactly that same thing. What happened to the relationship?"

Fox also wonders about Jack's motivation for marriage in the first place. "There was that scene at the pool with his dad," he says, "where he said, 'Am I marrying her because I saved her life? Am I taking that idea of commitment so far that I'm actually confusing love and adoration with commitment and with following through on saving somebody's soul? Am I confusing that line?'

"So he does enter into that with questions. He's clearly conflicted and then ends up making leaps. So we'll see what happens, why it all came apart."

Also in "Do No Harm," Jack suffered great guilt and frustation because of his inability, despite heroic measures, to save the life of injured Boone (Ian Somerhalder). Fox sees all this as part of Jack's personality and why he became a doctor. "It's a really great detail to his character," Fox says, "and to specifically Jack as a doctor. Jack has this feeling -- a lot of doctors probably have this, but there are a lot of doctors out there who probably don't -- which is this insane, beautiful, complete commitment to the preservation of life. "To have something like that, an incredible compassion and an incredible drive to heal and to preserve life at the same time that they're making an incredible living out of being a surgeon, I think that is really remarkable.

"A part of the reason people become doctors is because it's one of the highest-paying jobs there is, and ultimately after doing it for 15 or 20 years, you turn into a mechanic. But then there are also those doctors who go into the field because they have that core of compassion and desire to preserve life. I think that Jack Shepard certainly has that kind of drive."

Despite his knowledge and dedication, Jack is forced to improvise constantly to treat patients, making use of the limited medications and supplies he could salvage from the doomed Oceanic Airlines Flight 815.

"Yeah," Fox says, "and that frustrates him. There's this contrast between him being angry at the situation and being ... we're always joking how we don't want the show to become like 'MacGyver.' We want to try to always keep those things that are invented on the island, or that we're suddenly capable of doing on the island, as not being too outlandish.

"There is that line where suddenly people are fabricating radios out of nothing. We're always dealing with that, trying to keep the balance."

Although the entire first season of the show has taken place in less than two months real time, one wonders when the castaways might start to run out of important supplies. "Yes, for sure," Fox says. "They are going to run out of things, but there would be a lot of stuff available. If you look at an airliner, the luggage would have a ton of crap in it. The plane itself would have a lot of usable stuff in it."

"Lost" airs its first-season finale on Wednesday, May 25, which puts it in direct competition with the season finale of FOX's talent-competition juggernaut "American Idol." Although both shows draw huge ratings, Fox isn't too concerned.

"I'm sure they'll do substantially better than us," he says, "but I think that you'll find is they won't hurt us. I just don't think they're the same audience. I don't think the people who are watching 'American Idol' are watching us, going, 'Am I going to watch a bunch of pop singers, or am I going to watch "Lost"?'

"The fact that they're going up against each other is kind of a moot point, doesn't mean a whole lot."

Guest ranster627

Fox Leads an Island of the 'Lost'

(Sunday, May 22 12:04 AM)

By Kate O'Hare

matthewfox_lost_240_002.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - At home in Hawaii, "Lost" star Matthew Fox gets on the phone. He doesn't exactly sound peppy, as he's just about wrapped up nine months of filming on the hit ABC freshman drama.

"I'm really, really toast right now," he says in a slightly hoarse voice. "I'll be shooting right up until 4 o'clock tomorrow morning. Then I get on a flight almost immediately, about noon tomorrow, to Los Angeles to finish two days of shooting there.

"That's where the interior plane set is. That's a hint. There's some stuff right at the very end of the finale that involves the interior of the plane."

Executive produced by J.J. Abrams ("Alias") and Damon Lindelof, "Lost" is about the more than 40 survivors of doomed Oceanic Airlines Flight 815, which crashed on a mysterious tropical island.

Over the season, many scenes have flashed back to the last moments on the airplane before all hell broke loose. So it shouldn't be shocking that such scenes would be in the show's two-part finale, which concludes with a two-hour episode on Wednesday, May 25.

Fox plays Dr. Jack Shepard, a spinal surgeon who has become the survivors' caretaker and de facto leader. Jack was on the ill-fated Sydney-to-Los Angeles flight to bring back the body of his estranged father (John Terry), also a doctor. He's good man and a natural leader, despite his doubts and emotional issues.

Jack has also shown self-control, especially where the island's bad boy and chief hoarder, con-man Sawyer (Josh Holloway), is concerned. The two have clashed, but Jack still lent Sawyer medical assistance when needed. Jack has also kept a lid on his simmering attraction to Kate (Evangeline Lilly), a fugitive who is drawn to both Jack and Sawyer.

"You can't have Sawyer without Jack," supervising producer Javier Grillo-Marxuach says. "The thankless job that Jack has is to be the straight man. They're the duality. They're one of the most important character axes on the show.

"Everyone talks about Jack and Kate and the romance, but it's really Jack and Sawyer. Sawyer represents everything Jack can't be. He's the id, and Jack is the superego. Hurley's the ego."

"Jack allowed Sawyer to push his buttons for the first part of the year," Fox says, "because he was struggling so hard with control and then realized there was this element that he really couldn't control. At some point, Jack had so much on his plate and feels that people should be contributing, and you've got this one element that is just a negative, a hole of self-serving energy.

"It's always something I've loved about the way Damon and J.J. were writing this character, that he's our hero, he's our guy, but he's also the kind of guy that, if he let himself go to the dark place, could do real serious snappage on a guy like Sawyer."

While Hurley (Jorge Garcia), a genial lottery winner whose favorite word is "dude," seeks to boost survivor morale with jokes and a golf tournament, Jack has little time for such frivolity.

"Hurley doesn't have 46 people to take care of," Fox says. "Hurley's whole definition of himself certainly isn't based on being able to take care of and keep alive 46 people. So when one of those people dies, there's an enormous responsibility taken by Jack. That's what heroes are supposed to do.

"I've intentionally looked for any moment in the year where the guy can smile and the guy can find humor, but those moments aren't easy for me to find."

As for Jack being a natural leader, Fox says, "I think, way down, he is. He is an instinctual leader and an instinctual very heroic guy, but he has all this baggage and this really almost disturbing back story with his father. It's a strange relationship, but it's one that I think every single man can relate to."

Because of that baggage, Fox feels Jack needs to prove to himself that he can be a leader. "That will probably be Jack's path of redemption," he says, "getting through all of that to the core of himself and really becoming that guy who's not getting in his own way, not putting so much pressure on himself, just doing but not judging the consequences of it."

While Jack has taken on a leadership position, Fox has assumed a similar role.

"I felt that both on-screen and off," he says, "being No. 1 on the daily call sheet and having the most amount of work to do, there's a responsibility that goes along with it. We had a lot of production issues to iron out this year, so we were running into obstacles quite frequently, just getting a big beast of a show running as efficiently as we possibly can.

"Along with that comes a lot of frustration on people's parts at times. The cast, across the board, has been wonderful the whole year, but certainly there have been allegiances and things that have built up among the cast. It's almost my responsibility, in the position I'm in, to make a conscious decision to be there for anybody that has problems or wants to hang out."

Early in the season, that included regular Wednesday-night viewing parties at Fox's house ... swimsuits optional.

"I enjoy taking my clothes off and jumping in the water," Fox says. "I'm not going to worry about getting changed into a swimsuit at 2 o'clock in the morning. I really wanted to get people together, get them partying. I wanted them to take their clothes off and jump in the water.

"I thought that would be a good bonding experience for all of us, which it was. It was great fuel for ribbing and incessant bulls**ting with each other."

• 3 months later...

No pants, no problem for Matthew Fox

By Elisa Chia, TODAY

In the hit TV series Lost, Jack Sheppard is the no-nonsense doctor/castaway who tends to the sick and comforts the desperate after a jet crashes on a remote Pacific island.

But off the screen, hunky actor Matthew Fox organises skinny-dipping parties with his sexy co-stars.

"He's a total nudist," Evangeline Lilly, who plays mysterious brunette Kate Austin, told Today in a recent interview.

"He has a really bad habit of taking his clothes off and skinny-dipping in front of the whole cast," she said. "I was there the very first time it happened. I was like, 'woo-hoo'. He was like, 'come on.' All of us were like, 'No. You're on your own in this one, man.'

"And off he went into the water, butt-naked."

To this, Fox defended himself with a big, cheeky grin: "There's a method behind the madness. Trust me."

With Lost showing on MediaCorp TV Channel 5 tonight, the actor joined co-star Lilly to discuss why he loves to let it all hang out.

What's with the skinny-dipping?

Fox: I like to take my clothes off. What can I say? You know, we're in Hawaii. I mean, I've always been somebody who enjoys warm-water conditions and instigating other people to skinny-dip. I think it's fun and an experience in trust and bonding.

Lilly: To give him credit, he started out as a Lone Ranger. Over time, he has actually had some converts

EXCLUSIVE: SECRETS OF 'LOST' STAR MATTHEW FOX

Exclusive By Clare Raymond

HE'S the sexy neurosurgeon who sends every woman's heart racing as he tends the sick, rescues the drowning and comforts the desperate in hit new TV series Lost.

Serious, sincere and sensible, dashing doctor Jack Shepherd is the dependable castaway the other marooned passengers rely on, in the C4 show that attracted 6.1 million viewers on Wednesday night.

But off-screen, hunky actor Matthew Fox (above, right, with co-star Evangeline Lilly) has a wilder side he's only too eager to share.

Foxy, as he's known to his colleagues, likes nothing better than to strip naked and gallop across the sand, showing off his well-toned, bronzed body.

Co-star Evangeline Lilly, who plays mysterious brunette Kate Austin, says: "He is notorious for taking his clothes off and running around naked, usually around bodies of water. He'll skinny-dip at any moment with anyone."

It's a scene his army of female fans would love to be recreated in the show.

And just as George Clooney won millions of hearts saving lives as ER's Dr Ross, Fox looks set for equal success in his heroic new role.

But while Clooney still lives the carefree life of a single man, 39-year-old Fox is happily married with a family. And he has the love of one woman to thank for his astonishing success - his Italian-born wife, Margherita Ronchi, who supported him as he waited for his big break.

He was an economic student with designs on Wall Street and working nights loading flowers in New York's wholesale district when he met the beautiful brunette in 1987. "She was 19 years old and she didn't speak very good English," he says. After he graduated he set his heart on becoming an actor and Margherita made his dream possible. "She managed a coffee shop and held down several different restaurant-type jobs," he says. "She's always been incredibly supportive and sometimes even a little bit jealous that I found that thing that I was so dedicated to and had a thing I wanted to grow at, learn about and succeed in."

They married five years after they met and have a daughter Kyle, eight, and son, Byron, three, to whom he is devoted. When he landed the starring role in Lost, the whole family moved to Hawaii, where the show is filmed.

Fox was worried about uprooting his children from their comfortable home in Manhattan Beach, California, but says: "When the show was picked up for 13 episodes and we knew we were moving there, my daughter Kyle started crying. She said they were tears of happiness."

Now the family stay in an ocean-front villa with a pool and are enjoying a slower pace of life. Fox loves to swim with the children. "We're spoiling ourselves," he says. "One of my favourite things is to take a nap with Byron. He sucks his thumb, hooks his finger over his nose and just looks at you, glassy-eyed. It's so quiet and intimate. Those moments are priceless."

He also opens his home every weekend for barbecues with the crew. And each Wednesday night the cast take it in turns to hold Lost parties at their homes, as they watch that week's brain-twisting episode. "His house has become a mecca for all the other actors," says Damon Lindelof, one of Lost's creators. "He opens the door for everyone to come over on Sundays."

And while Fox looked forward to filming scenes on the sun-drenched beaches of Hawaii, it didn't always live up to his expectations. "The first day, we shot the jungle scene where Jack, Kate and Charlie are running from the Big It," he says. "We were freezing and they were dousing us with fire hoses to thicken the rain. The three of us were up to our shins in mud, shivering. I remember thinking: 'This is the furthest thing from what I assumed shooting in Hawaii would be like.'"

And it's a million miles away from the shy boy who grew up on a farm and dreamed of a job on Wall Street. Matthew was born in the rugged cowboy countryside of Crowheart, Wyoming, where his parents raised longhorn cattle and grew barley for Coors beer on a 120-acre farm. "So much of who I am and how I approach the world has to do with my father," he says. "He is an amazing man and I've admired his choices since I was very young."

His dad, Francis, came from what the actor calls "a Philadelphia blue-blood, old-money family. Early in his life his sense of independence made him move away from the life of privilege he was born to, and he raised a family in rural solitude.

The middle of three boys, at his father's suggestion Fox left home to study on the east coast - a move that changed his life. "It opened my mind and my concept of the world," he says. "Wyoming is very provincial and has a way of keeping people there." He entered the Deerfield Academy, in Massachusetts, and then transferred to Columbia University, where he studied economics.

While still a student he began modelling, persuaded by a girlfriend's mother, who was an agent. "I was seduced by the money of modelling," he admits. "I was looking for a way to support myself in college."

But his intentions of working on Wall Street changed when he was cast in commercials. This opened the door to acting and in 1992 he appeared in US TV series Freshman Dorm. He then won a supporting role in the film My Boyfriend's Back.

But his breakthrough role was in US drama series Party Of Five, which was shown on C4. He played Charlie, the sensitive older brother of a family of orphans.

He landed the part in 1994, and within two years was famous enough to feature in the long-running US Got Milk? ad campaign, joining stars such as Naomi Campbell, Pete Sampras and Jennifer Aniston.

He also starred with Donald Sutherland in Behind The Mask in 1999, but when Party Of Five ended the following year he took two years off. "I wanted people to forget about me in that show," he says, "and come back doing something different."

He spent quality time with his wife and children and joined a Los Angeles repertory company. "I needed to find more of a balance with my work and being a father and husband," he says.

During the 90s he was almost reclusive. Party Of Five had gained a cult following but Fox rarely went to parties or photo sessions for fans. "I fought fame for a long time," he says. "People think you are just like that character and make judgments about you. I was very distrustful of people. But I've grown up a bit."

He returned to US TV in 2002, starring as a private eye who contacted the dead in the short-lived show Haunted. "I was slightly relieved when it didn't do well," he says. "I was going sometimes four or five days without seeing my kids." So when Haunted was canned he took a few months off. Then last February, he received the script for the Lost pilot, and says he felt "Like a kid opening up a toy box."

Co-creator JJ Abrams had initially considered Fox for the role of troublemaker Sawyer, but after meeting the actor decided to give him the lead instead. "With his look, confidence and kindness, he felt like the guy who could take you through this mysterious adventure," he says.

Fox, who was named by America's People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world in 1996, keeps in shape by running, surfing and cycling. But with a family and so many hobbies he has little time for the LA party scene. "Not to say I don't party, but we live in Manhattan Beach and we're sort of removed from the real - I guess it's a cliche - Hollywood scene," he says. "I've almost made an effort to booze and smoke just to give myself more character. "I am in a really great place now. I've been doing this for 15 years, and I feel like I'm better at it then I've ever been."

• 5 weeks later...

FOX DEFENDS TIME OFF

LOST star MATTHEW FOX has defended his two year absence from the small screen, insisting it was important to have a break for both personal and professional reasons.

The TV heart-throb, who plays dashing surgeon JACK SHEPPARD in the hit series, took time out after finishing US sitcom PARTY OF FIVE to spend more time with his family and pursue theatre roles.

But the smouldering actor also admits he wanted to distance himself from the weak character CHARLIE SALINGER he played in the 1990s TV show so he didn't get typecast.

Fox says, "I felt it was important to let people forget about me a bit - in that show, in that context, and with that particular character."

Source

Lost Stars 'Will Get Their Day'

Lost star Matthew Fox is urging the rest of the hit show's cast to "stay positive" after grumblings they're not being paid enough.Some unnamed cast members of the ABC show are apparently upset at the money and gifts given to the stars of Desperate Housewives, which is shown on the same network.But Fox believes Lost's stars will soon be recognised in the same way as the women of Wisteria Lane.

Lost was named the outstanding drama series at last month's Emmy awards.

Matthew told IMDB: "The difference between how ABC has treated Lost and Desperate Housewives has been night and day.

"There's a perception among the guys that we are busting our asses on the island and we weren't getting a lot of recognition for that.

"I've just told the cast to keep their heads down, stay positive and it will all work out in the end."

SOURCE

Matthew Fox on Lost: First Season DVD and Season Two

Matthew Fox on His Sawyer Audition on the Lost DVD:

• 1 month later...

Somewhere in paradise

By Eirik Knutzen - Copley News Service

There is no place where Matthew Fox would rather be than home, but only if surrounded by his lovely wife Margherita, lively daughter Kyle, 8, and laid-back son Byron, 4. And, preferably, if they are all in the swimming pool of their sprawling, breeze-cooled home near Waikiki overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

A serious family man, the tall, muscular Wyoming farm boy/TV star has adapted well in the Hawaiian version of paradise.

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

ANOTHER LOST FLIGHT: Matthew Fox has sealed up his plans for summer hiatus, and this time he's taking on a real-life airline tragedy. The Lost star has signed on to join Matthew McConaughey in Charlie's Angels director McG's as-yet-untitled big-screen drama about the 1970 plane crash that killed members of the West Virginia-based Marshall University football team, most of its coaching staff and many others. Both Matthews will play team coaches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, is anybody else as tired of Mr. Goody Goody Jack as I am? WTF, who put him in charge? I am ready for someone to take him down a bunch of notches and he can assume a secondary roll for a while. There are "others" with a much more interesting story I think.

Anyone else? :ninja:

me too, and to take him out of the picture would add a new dimension......think of everyone having to just figure out what to do the next time someone falls into a fire, loses a thumb,pokes an eye out.....instead of miraculously being taken to Dr Jack.....

i hope his death scene will be nondramatic too, like falling into a tar pit or just eating some samonella-infested ranch dressing

me too, and to take him out of the picture would add a new dimension......think of everyone having to just figure out what to do the next time someone falls into a fire, loses a thumb,pokes an eye out.....instead of miraculously being taken to Dr Jack.....

i hope his death scene will be nondramatic too, like falling into a tar pit or just eating some samonella-infested ranch dressing

LOVE IT! :lol:

I will personally admit to lovin' Jack...and I'm proud of it! I mean, none of the characters are black & white, so to speak. That's what I love about the show- the humanity of the castaways and how, with totally different personalities, they deal with trying to survive.

Charlie is shown at different times to be funny, needy, a heroin-addict, revengeful, remorseful, afraid, dark,...

Locke is shown as creepy, compassionate, angry, distrusting, believing....

Jack is shown as being caring, having a savior-complex, distrusting, unbelieving, riddled with guilt, having a short fuse...

...and at times I've liked and disliked each of them.

I don't know about you guys, but I've probably exhibited all these characteristics at some time in my life...well except for maybe being heroin addicted...and creepy...although my husband would probably dispute that last one :P .

I LOVE A LOST WORLD MADE UP OF GREY PEOPLE! B)

It appears that your prayers have been answered...Good Ol' John Locke & Load will be "calling the shots" next week.

Five bucks sas something back-fires...soon.