79th Annual Academy Awards

TV_Paige

ap_100.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres Dances As Oscar Host

ellen_2006.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres

Ellen DeGeneres has been tapped to host next year's Oscars, the Academy of Motions Pictures Arts and Sciences announced on Thursday, September 7. It will be the comedienne and TV talker's first time hosting the Oscars show. In fact, it will be DeGeneres' first appearance on the award show in any capacity.

She has hosted the Primetime Emmy Awards telecast twice and co-hosted it once, and hosted the Grammys twice. DeGeneres, 48, becomes the first woman to take on the high-profile job since 2002, when Whoopi Goldberg hosted the evening's festivities for a fourth time.

"Ellen DeGeneres was born to host the Academy Awards," said telecast producer Laura Ziskin in a statement. "I can already tell she is going to set the bar very high for herself and therefore for all of us involved in putting on the show. Now all we need is a lot of great movies."

ellendegeneres_240_005.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres

The 79th Annual Academy Awards are scheduled to be broadcast live from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood on ABC on Sunday, February 25. This year's Oscarcast, in March, was fronted by "The Daily Show" Host Jon Stewart to generally favorable reviews.

DeGeneres is the host of the syndicated talk show "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," which has won 15 Daytime Emmys since going on the air in 2003. She also starred in the ABC sitcom "Ellen," which aired between 1994 and 1998, and the CBS sitcom, "The Ellen Show," which ran 2001-2002. DeGeneres has also been a regular in films and has authored several books.

"When Laura Ziskin called, I was thrilled," said DeGeneres in a statement. "There's two things I've always wanted to do in my life. One is to host the Oscars. The second is to get a call from Laura Ziskin. You can imagine that day's diary entry."

ellen_degeneres_240.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres relaxes before taking on hosting

duties for the 79th Annual Academy Awards

The announcement comes relatively early in the season. Sometimes the host is not named until as late as December. Ziskin said, "I made a decision early and I wanted to get her involved as early as possible. I feel she's such a wonderful writer. I'm over the moon about it."

Despite being a veteran host, DeGeneres said, "There are so many award shows, but the Oscars are still the epitome of awards. Every year I hope to do it. Thank God they asked me!" DeGeneres' schedule will be extremely busy because she won't interrupt daily tapings of her daytime talk show.

For one thing, DeGeneres added that February is sweeps month. "I'm used to doing a bunch of things at once," said the performer. "I'm fine with that. I'm just going to have to conserve my energy. My show is a priority, but Laura and I want to make the Oscar show great."

ziskin.jpg

Oscar Telecast Producer Laura Ziskin

Ziskin first came up with the idea while watching DeGeneres host the 2002 Emmys. "I was so blown away by her," Ziskin said. She added that DeGeneres has a quality that is rare but crucial for an Oscar host: "You're as happy to see her in Hour Three of the show as you are in Hour One."

DeGeneres said, "It's great to have this much notice" and said she will start work immediately. She hopes to bring to the Oscars the same qualities as her talk show and standup: "A lot of humor is cynical and aggressive and audiences are so jaded. I'm hoping to get rid of that."

"She just sparkles," said Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences president Sid Ganis in a statement. "She is such a pleasure to watch. Her wit cuts to the truth of things, but in a wonderfully warm-spirited way. I think she'll be a fantastic host for this show and we're extremely pleased that she's agreed to do it."

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Ellen Makes a Date with Oscar

ellen_host.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres

The Academy is once again looking to the small screen to lead the silver screen into the spotlight. Ellen DeGeneres has been tapped to host the 79th Annual Academy Awards next year, marking the third year in a row that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has gone with a celebrity whose contribution to the tube has so far outweighed his or her impact on celluloid.

The ceremony will be held Sunday, February 25 at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood. DeGeneres becomes the first woman to take on the emcee duties since Whoopi Goldberg hosted for a fourth time in 2002. "The Daily Show's" Jon Stewart was the host for the Oscars this past year.

"When [telecast producer] Laura Ziskin called, I was thrilled," DeGeneres said in a statement. "There's two things I've always wanted to do in my life. One is to host the Oscars. The second is to get a call from Laura Ziskin." And apparently Ziskin was looking forward to making that call.

e090201A.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres

"Ellen DeGeneres was born to host the Academy Awards," she said. "There is no more challenging hosting job in show business. It requires someone who can keep the show alive and fresh and moving, as well as someone who is a flat-out great entertainer."

"Ellen completely fits the bill," Ziskin continued. "I can already tell she is going to set the bar very high for herself and therefore for all of us involved in putting on the show. Now all we need is a lot of great movies." There's always a catch.

The host of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," which has won 15 Daytime Emmys during its four years on the air, has hosted the Primetime Emmy Awards twice, the first time coming in 2001 right after 9/11, and the other in 2004.

EllenDeGeneres.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres

Critics applauded her 2001 effort, calling it pitch-perfect. Referring to the terrorists behind the September 11, 2001, attacks, she said: "They can't take away our creativity, our striving for excellence, our joy. Only network executives can do that."

DeGeneres' 2004 outing on CBS attracted 18.7 million viewers, a 36 percent leap in viewership from the previous year, which was one of the lowest rated telecasts since ratings information became available.

"She just sparkles," Academy President Sid Ganis said. "She is such a pleasure to watch. Her wit cuts to the truth of things, but in a wonderfully warm-spirited way. I think she'll be a fantastic host for this show and we're extremely pleased that she's agreed to do it."

Jon%20Stewart.jpg

Jon Stewart

Jon Stewart scored unspectacular ratings (38.9 million viewers, down from 2005) but good reviews. The Academy had been hoping that the head of "The Daily Show" brain trust would attract a more youthful audience. Similar to what the Academy intended to do by calling upon Chris Rock in 2004, only without Rock's "It's all about me" approach.

"The Daily Show" benefited by Stewart's understated, intelligent approach to Hollywood's biggest night, however. The Comedy Central show pulled in 100,000 more viewers than usual each night during the week after Stewart's hosting gig.

Apparently, the Academy Awards believes in variety. DeGeneres marks the sixth host of the telecast in six years. Since the 74th ceremony in 2002, the hosts have been Whoopi Goldberg (the first time Ziskin produced the show), Steve Martin, Billy Crystal, Chris Rock and Jon Stewart.

• 2 months later...

My Oscar Nomination Predictions:

Best Picture:

-DreamGirls

-Babel

-Flags of our Father

-Bobby

-Little Children

Best Actor:

-Matt Damon (The Good Shepherd)

-Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happiness)

-Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson)

-Edward Norton (The Painted Veil)

-Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)

Best Actress:

-Kate Winslet (Little Children)

-Helen Mirren (The Queen)

-Penelope Cruz (Volver)

-Cate Blanchett (The Good German)

-Naomi Watts (The Painted Veil)

Best Supporting Actor:

-Jamie Foxx (DreamGirls)

-Steve Carrell (Little Miss Sunshine)

-Jack Nicholson (The Departed)

-Brad Pitt (Babel)

-Robert Downey Jr. (Fur)

Best Supporting Actress:

-Jennifer Connolly (Little Children)

-Angelina Jolie (The Good Shepherd)

-Sharon Stone (Bobby)

-Jennifer Hudson (DreamGirls)

-Kerry Washington (The Last King of Scotland)

Best Animated Film:

-Happy Feet

-Cars

-Over the Hedge

The people that i want to win are colored blue and the people i think will win are colored red :) If its both then it is bolded black

I think Ellen was a great host last time, and I have no doubt she will be again this time.

But I also thought Jon Stewart was really good last year, and apparently he got so-so ratings. I'm never sure with the Oscars why some are considered a success, and some aren't.

F'rinstance Whoopie Goldberg was given big raves the year she did it, but she SO got on my nerves (mind you, Whoopie always gets on my nerves......). And I thought Letterman was really funny the year he did it, but he was considered a total disaster.

I don't know what makes a "good" host for the Oscars. It's an unusual hosting job. So much is scripted for the host anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

moviefone_logo.gif

Ennio Morricone Finally Gets His Oscar

by Christopher Campbell

Ennio_Morricone.jpg

Ennio Morricone

In the ever-apologetic tradition of Honorary and lLifetime Achievement Oscars, Composer Ennio Morricone will receive an Academy Award on Sunday, February 25. It is hard to believe that one of the most recognized names in film scoring has never been graced with an Oscar before.

Morricone has been nominated, sure -- five times to be exact. He received Academy Award nominations for "Days of Heaven," "The Mission," "The Untouchables," "Bugsy" and "Mal

• 1 month later...

Oscar_240x180.jpg

(winners will appear highlighted in red)

Best Picture

"Babel"

Producers: Steve Golin, Alejandro Gonz

• 1 month later...

Oscar_240x180.jpg

79th Annual Academy Award Winners

Best Picture

"The Departed"

Producers: Brad Grey, Graham King, Brad Pitt and Martin Scorsese

Studio: Warner Bros.

Best Director

Martin Scorsese

"The Departed"

Best Actor

Forest Whitaker

"The Last King of Scotland"

Best Actress

Helen Mirren

"The Queen"

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin

"Little Miss Sunshine"

Best Supporting Actress

Jennifer Hudson

"Dreamgirls"

Best Animated Film

"Happy Feet"

Director: George Miller

Studio: Kingdom Pictures, LLC

Best Foreign Language Film

"The Lives of Others"

(Germany)

Best Adapted Screenplay

"The Departed"

Screenplay by: William Monahan

Best Original Screenplay

"Little Miss Sunshine"

Screenplay by: Michael Arndt

Best Original Score

"Babel"

Composer: Gustavo Santaolalla

Best Original Song

Song: "I Need to Wake Up"

Film: "An Inconvenient Truth"

Music and Lyric by: Melissa Etheridge

Best Art Direction

"Pan's Labyrinth"

Art Direction: Eugenio Caballero

Set Decoration: Pilar Revuelta

Best Cinematography

"Pan's Labyrinth"

Cinematographer: Guillermo Navarro

Best Costume Design

"Marie Antoinette"

Costume Designer: Milena Canonero

Best Documentary Feature

"An Inconvenient Truth"

Director: Davis Guggenheim

Best Documentary Short Subject

"The Blood of Yingzhou District"

Directors: Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon

Achievement in Film Editing

"The Departed"

Film Editor: Thelma Schoonmaker

Achievement in Film Makeup

"Pan's Labyrinth"

Makeup Artists: David Marti and Montse Ribe

Best Animated Short Film

"The Danish Poet"

Director: Torill Kove

Studio: A Mikrofilm and National Film Board of Canada Production

Best Live Action Short Film

"West Bank Story"

Director: Ari Sandel

Studio: An Ari Sandel, Pascal Vaguelsy, Amy Kim, Ravi Malhotra and Ashley Jordan Production

Achievement in Sound Editing

"Letters From Iwo Jima"

Sound Editing by: Alan Robert Murray

Achievement in Sound Mixing

"Dreamgirls"

Sound Mixing by: Michael Minkler, Bob Beemer and Willie Burton

Achievement in Visual Effects

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"

Visual Effects by: John Knoll, Hal Hickel, Charles Gibson and Allen Hall

Honorary Award

Ennio Morricone

Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award

Sherry Lansing

I thought Ellen did a GREAT job, especially when she was interacting with the audience.

Asking Spielberg to take a photo of her and Clint Eastwood -- priceless.

I enjoyed watching this celebrity host put the spotlight back out on the guests rather than going for the usual self promotion.

I thought Ellen was a great host--classy, funny, laid-back, all the things I expect from her.

Dresses: Cameron Diax--stunning, perfect on HER

Gwyneth Paltrow--terrible, made her look old and frumpy

Portia de Rossi--looked fabulous

Penelope Cruz--ridiculous dress, but only she could pull it off. She'd look gorgeous in anything.

I'll think of others; can't remember them now.

I didn't like the format of the ceremony. In previous years they've always started with a couple of biggies--Supporting Actor and Actress--but last night it seemed to take forever to get to something interesting.

But still..best TV night. Fantasy land...

I thought it was a fantastic night for the Academy.

Loved, loved, loved Ellen!!!

I really enjoyed the first moments when they had all the nominated stand up and take an ovation. I don't remember them doing that in years past and it was neat to look out into the audience and see all the honored at a glance. I thought the sound effects choir was amazing. The dancing contortionist (sp) were unique and interesting. And, I thought Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce' were great!!!

I will say though, that even with all the kudos, the speeches were boring and dragged the night out.

All in all, I give the night a B.

Yes, yes, the Pilobolus dance troupe -- fantastic.

In vignettes throughout the ceremony, the dancers bent their bodies into shapes to project shadow images onto a screen. They did a giant, high-heeled shoe (The Devil Wears Prada), a Volkswagen VW symbol (Little Miss Sunshine), a crown (The Queen) and a tower (Babel).

Did they do something for The Departed? Maybe I missed it.

All in all, after watching all those lovely people being lovely, I have come to the conclusion that ...

Clint Eastwood will go to his grave just as hot as he was in those spaghetti westerns. :smitten:

The Pilobolus dance troupe (thanks for their name katydidit) did a gun for the movie "The Departed" and even had a bullet shoot out of it. :animated_scratchchin:

I also forgot to mention that I loved that they had a living tableau of the best costumes. Once I saw them, it made me wish I had picked "Marie Antoinette" but, had blindly picked The Queen... and darn if I wasn't right in hind sight.

Btw, I only got 13 correct out of the 24 categories at my annual "Oscar's Party" and I was the winner... that's funny, huh? :animated_rotfl: Did anyone else do a pool or anything? And, what was you're score.

Well, Ceci, I had a total of 14 at my Oscar Party but I didn't win! We have a ringer in our midst who wins it every year and this year was no exception! He had an amazing 20 right! We all think he knows someone at Ernst & Young, the Academy Award accountants. :animated_rotfl:

You can see my scorecard below:

Best Picture

Winner: "The Departed"

My Pick: "Little Miss Sunshine"

Best Director

Winner: Martin Scorsese -- "The Departed"

My Pick: Martin Scorsese -- "The Departed"

Best Actor

Winner: Forest Whitaker -- "The Last King of Scotland"

My Pick: Forest Whitaker -- "The Last King of Scotland"

Best Actress

Winner: Helen Mirren -- "The Queen"

My Pick: Helen Mirren -- "The Queen"

Best Supporting Actor

Winner: Alan Arkin -- "Little Miss Sunshine"

My Pick: Jackie Earle Haley -- "Little Children"

Best Supporting Actress

Winner: Jennifer Hudson -- "Dreamgirls"

My Pick: Jennifer Hudson -- "Dreamgirls"

Best Animated Film

Winner: "Happy Feet"

My Pick: "Happy Feet"

Best Foreign Language Film

Winner: "The Lives of Others" (Germany)

My Pick: "Pan's Labyrinth" (Mexico)

Best Adapted Screenplay

My Pick: "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"

Best Original Screenplay

Winner: "Little Miss Sunshine"

My Pick: "Little Miss Sunshine"

Best Original Score

Winner: "Babel"

My Pick: "Pan's Labyrinth"

Best Original Song

Winner:

Song: "I Need to Wake Up"

Film: "An Inconvenient Truth"

Music and Lyric by: Melissa Etheridge

My Pick:

Song: "Love You I Do"

Film: "Dreamgirls"

Music by: Henry Krieger

Lyric by: Siedah Garrett

Best Art Direction

Winner: "Pan's Labyrinth"

Best Cinematography

Best Costume Design

Winner: "Marie Antoinette"

My Pick: "Marie Antoinette"

Best Documentary Feature

Winner: "An Inconvenient Truth"

My Pick: "An Inconvenient Truth"

Best Documentary Short Subject

Winner: "The Blood of Yingzhou District"

My Pick: "Rehearsing a Dream"

Achievement in Film Editing

My Pick: "United 93"

Achievement in Film Makeup

Best Animated Short Film

Winner: "The Danish Poet"

My Pick: "Lifted"

Best Live Action Short Film

Winner: "West Bank Story"

My Pick: "West Bank Story"

Achievement in Sound Editing

Winner: "Letters From Iwo Jima"

My Pick: "Flags of Our Fathers"

Achievement in Sound Mixing

Winner: "Dreamgirls"

My Pick: "Dreamgirls"

Achievement in Visual Effects

Winner: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"

My Pick: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"

My only scorecard reaction --

I have always loved Alan Arkin.

Yet, I would have given a Suppoting Actor Awartd to Eddie Murphy.

But it might have not been for THIS movie.

Maybe that's what it's all about.

Katy, I think that's what happens sometimes--someone who has failed to get an award for a long time often will get one that's not necessarily for that particular movie.

And I too have always loved Alan Arkin. Hadn't seen him for a while though, and I couldn't help being shocked seeing how much older he looks. He looks good, he looks fine, but it's like anyone else--if you haven't seen them in a while, you forget they're getting older...

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name