Kwan Takes Season Off For College

TV_Paige

ap_100.jpg

Kwan Takes Season Off For College

kwan_practice.jpg

Michelle Kwan leaves the ice

DENVER, Colorado -- World Champion Figure Skater Michelle Kwan will skip the upcoming figure skating season and attend the University of Denver. Kwan said she will become a fulltime student at Denver, but will continue to skate in exhibitions.

"Each year, since 2002, I have taken a one-year-at-a-time approach to my figure skating plans," the nine-time U.S and five-time world champion said. "Education is very important to me, and this year I have decided to put college first. Next year at this time I will again evaluate all my options, including returning to competitive skating."

The 26-year-old Kwan did not compete in the 2005-06 season because of a series of injuries. She was chosen for the U.S. Olympic team on a medical bye, then injured her groin in the first practice in Turin, Italy, and withdrew.

Last month, Kwan underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in her right hip, an injury she sustained during the 2004-2005 season. The rehab lasts about four months, another factor in her decision to skip this season.

The most accomplished skater of her generation, Kwan won a silver medal in the 1998 Olympics and a bronze in 2002. She previously attended UCLA, earning a year worth of credits that have been transferred to Denver. Kwan plans to major in political science, with a minor in international studies.

• 2 years later...

I wish they would televise figure skating events again! The entire Grand Prix Ice Skating series went untelevised this past season. Networks are not even airing the World Championships this year with the exception of the Ladies Long Program! If you want to see Worlds this year, you have to have the cable network, Oxygen. Below is the schedule for us poor slobs without the proper cable channels:

Sunday, January 18

Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular on NBC

4-6 p.m.

Saturday, January 24

U.S. Nationals on NBC

3-6 p.m.

9-11 p.m.

Sunday, January 25

U.S. Nationals on NBC

4-6 p.m.

Saturday, January 31

U.S. Nationals (Exhibitions) on NBC