Monique Coleman & Louis Van Amstel

Dade

• 1 month later...

Loved Monique's performance last night, very elegant.

I was thinking the same thing, Tarman. I dunno... Although I think Monique's performance was great, it was Willa's performance that did it for me for the women this week. Willa's gown was so beautiful and she looked gorgeous. She seemed to float across the ballroom and I have to agree w/the judges that her and her partner oozed romance. I loved it! :)

I'm so glad Monique didn't go home this week... she's deserving of a couple more dances imo.

:lol: The bio on Monique refers to her as a "teen idol". She's 26 years old! Although she did play a high-schooler in High School Musical. She was part of the four way tie for first place tonight. But that doesn't necessarily mean much. She had excellent scores last week, too, and was in the bottom two.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little surprised at her comment about the judges being harder on the women. That sounds like an excuse to me. She's had a few dances where I thought "wow" but then tonight, not only did her costume stink, her dances didn't wow me one bit.

I like her a lot better now than I did initially. I hated the solo 'krumping' thing she did last week, but I forgive her.

I imagine the judges hear those comments. Is it wise to diss the judges? Also, it seemed a tad bid whiny to me.

OK getting a little tired of her comments of being the only woman and trying to get the female vote. We are supposed to vote on the best dancers I thought. I think she said something about the men aren't the better dancers..... something something. pffffttttttt

Here's my take on what Monique meant. In ballroom dances, the flashier steps are usually done by the woman. The woman is the one who is watched most during a routine. The better the woman is, the better the performance seems. Since Monique is the only non-professional female dancer left in the competition, she does have a harder job. Whereas Joey could stand there and twirl his partner for an entire routine, Monique cannot do the same. She has to be the more flamboyant one of the duo. The guys don't. They have professional female dancers to wow the judges and the audience.

Monique gets extra points from me for that reason alone.

Wow, good explanation Jersey! I'll buy it ;) ... although the men would probably argue that they have the tougher job because they have to do the leading and have the physical strength for the lifts and whatnot. And I guess I'd buy that argument too!

Well, at least Monique got her coveted tens tonight. I don't know if they're gonna be enough to stave off elimination, but Kudos to Louis for basically telling us that she was attempting more difficult stuff than the others, which the only judge with ballroom judging experience also hinted at, although it didn't affect his scoring on that first dance.

Louis has alluded a few times to the fact that he really pushes her, it caught up with them tonight. It was nice for him to finally get a 10 after 2 2/3 seasons. Just watching his reaction to the judges, I wouldn't be surprised if he decides not to come back next season. I don't think he feels appreciated.

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name