American Idol 6

Dade

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

American Idol 6 Auditions Begin Aug. 8

Auditions for the sixth edition of Fox's American Idol kick off Aug. 8 at The Forum in Los Angeles, and will then continue at the following venues:

The Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas (Aug. 11)

Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, N.J. (Aug. 14)

The BJCC in Birmingham, Ala. (Aug. 21)

FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn. (Sept. 3)

Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn. (Sept. 8)

Key Arena in Seattle, Wash. (Sept. 19)

Posted by Matt Mitovich 07/11/2006 10:32 AM

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

American Idol 6 Auditions Begin In August

It

• 2 weeks later...

American Idol 6 Auditions Move To Rose Bowl In Los Angeles

Due to a scheduling conflict, AMERICAN IDOL

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

American Idol 6 will include a songwriting competition; the winner's song will be performed by the finalists

American Idol 6 will include a songwriting competition, and that parallel contest winner

Courtesy of: REAILTYBLURRED

10,000 show up for Idol auditions in LA but "it doesn't look like a very talented bunch"

Yesterday in LA, 10,000 people got in line to audition for American Idol 6. But executive producer Nigel Lythgoe told USA TODAY that

Courtesy of: AOL, TV NEWS

Thousands of 'Idol' Hopefuls Flock to Jersey

By JANET FRANKSTON

AP

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (Aug. 14) - Thousands of would-be American Idols crooned, rapped and wailed their way through auditions for the hit show's sixth season Monday, with most waiting hours on line only to see their dreams of stardom quickly dashed by curt words from persnickety judges.

"I need therapy," social worker Blaire Finkelstein joked outside the Continental Airlines Arena after being rejected following her 20-second audition.

She and thousands of other hopefuls showed up for the tryouts, part of a series of auditions taking place across the country in seven cities.

Finkelstein, 24, took a day off from work to try out with a friend; neither made the cut.

"I feel disappointed, but I don't think anything can stop me," said Finkelstein, her face grim.

Sabriena Stone, though, couldn't stop beaming. The 27-year-old blonde said the judges gave her a different message: Come back again. She said they complimented her on tone.

"It was pretty nerve-racking," said Stone, who sang "Oh! Darling" after arriving at about 4:45 a.m. for the 8 a.m. tryout. "I felt confident for the most part."

Stone said she had called out sick from work for the audition, and now needed to let her boss know the truth. She planned to spend the next day resting.

For many of the Idol wannabes, Monday's tryout involved a long day and early start.

LaShonia Hunter left her home in Pennsylvania's Poconos at about 3:30 a.m. Monday morning and arrived in East Rutherford some two hours later to find throngs of other aspiring contestants lined up to audition for the top-rated television show.

"I'm here to be the next American Idol," said Hunter, 23, as she stood among a crush of thousands in a line that wrapped around the arena.

Hunter already had endured the drill, having tried out last year in Boston.

"I'm a lot more seasoned," said Hunter, who books appointments for a plastic surgeon when she's not singing. For this tryout, she packed a blanket and food and a funky platinum blonde, curly wig.

The crowd of hopeful contestants gathered at the Meadowlands could be one of the show's biggest ever, said Patrick Lynn, American Idol's coordinating producer.

New Jersey state police estimated the crowd at about 16,000, but Lynn said he's less concerned about crowd size than discovering talent.

"To me it's not about the numbers. It's about finding the right person," he said, standing outside the arena before the 8 a.m. tryouts began. "We need very few people out of this group."

Each contestant thought they should be one of the chosen.

Nicci Marciante, who arrived at 3 a.m., said she should be picked because of her talent and ambition.

"I want it more than anyone else here," said Marciante, 19, of Long Island, N.Y., who planned to sing a Linda Rondstadt tune.

Shaquanna Jenerette, of Queens, N.Y., clutched a small green bible as she waited to sing "Jesus Loves Me."

"I'm always singing. Why not try out?" she said. "It can't hurt."

Those who make it through the first round of the competition will be invited back for another audition later this week in Manhattan.

Contestants face another round after that one before being invited to Hollywood.

Lynn had some advice for the hopefuls: "Just be ready," he said.

The show is scheduled to return to the air in January.

• 3 weeks later...

American Idol Memphis Auditions Bring Second Largest Turnout In Show

• 3 weeks later...

ap_100.jpg

Newton-John Turns Judge for 'Idol'

Olivia-Newton-John-s-Extravagant-Lunch-W

'Idol' Guest Judge Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John spent her birthday pulling duty as a guest judge for "American Idol" auditions. Newton-John, who turned 58 on Tuesday, September 26, came away impressed by the singers.

"Some of them are very young and they're green but you can see their potential. They have a different voice or a different way of presenting themselves," Newton-John told The Associated Press after listening to hopefuls vie for a spot on Fox's TV talent show next season.

The pop singer who starred with John Travolta in the movie "Grease" and whose hits include "I Honestly Love You" helped out with the third Los Angeles round of auditions. She joined show judges Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul and host Ryan Seacrest.

jewel-media-060426.jpg

'Idol' Guest Judge Jewel

Other celebrity judges for next season's auditions include Jewel, who took part in the Minneapolis tryouts, and songwriter Carole Bayer Sager in New York. Newton-John had a small birthday celebration at the auditions where she was presented with a cake.

Newton-John knows what it's like to compete. As a teenager living in Australia, she appeared on the TV show "Sing, Sing, Sing" and won a trip to her native England to pursue a music career. It's "terrible" having to reject an aspiring singer, she said.

"I always remember what it was like for me and what it would have felt like to be told no. So I do feel for them," she said. "It's hard. But sometimes it's probably kinder for them, because they won't pursue something they don't really have the talent for."

"American Idol" is scheduled to return for its sixth season in January.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: OUR TAKE

Can Fox Resuscitate Its Mischa-free O.C.?

"Perhaps" prompted by the subpar ratings for last week's Season 4 premiere

• 1 month later...

American Idol Teases "Huge" Mid-season Twist

The option of voting via CB radio? A decidedly lucid Paula? In an interview with the New York Daily News, American Idol exec producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz says that the unstoppable reality competition will up the ante by staging "a huge event" midway through the coming season, which debuts Jan. 16, 2007. "Something we're working on is a big-event show... something that will blow America away," she teases, declining to elaborate.

One thing that is for certain is the hit-or-miss quality of the fun-to-mock tryouts. As host Ryan Seacrest told TVGuide.com just the other day, "When we set out to audition this year, we thought, 'Well, what's going to be left?' [but] we were fulfilled. We saw plenty of naive talent, and plenty of good talent." Not at all coincidentally, "Naive But Good" was the working title of Kellie Pickler's debut album.

Additional reporting by Megan Cherkezian

Posted by Matt Mitovich 12/19/06 9:59 AM

I'm looking forward to it too. Although I like it more after they head to California (they drag out the humiliating shows too much for my taste) but, it's all good... hope we have another stealer competitions this year.

Yah, I'm with you, CeCi---the beginning stuff is fun for a while, but just goes on too long.

And you can't really keep track of who's who at the beginning, because they only show excerpts at random--well actually, not quite at random; it's whatever makes good television.

And even when they get down to the final dozen or so, there's stuff that really bugs me. Like the results show that spend almost all their time touting some star's new record (usually whoever the instructor was for that week), and about half a minute on the person being eliminated---their final performance is almost always cut off.

Having said all that.....can't wait till it starts!!!!

I totally enjoy American Idol - from the outrageous tryouts of people thinking they can sing to the singers that really can sing. I like to pick a few to make it to the show and try to keep track of them all the way through.

I do have limited patience for the people who just go on to get on TV and have their 5 minutes of fame and excruciating embarrassment. And with the latter statement, I'm talking about my feelings! :D

I enjoy the tryouts too, but it does bother me, that all these guys are supposedly screened, so it's obvious that they put some acts through, just for entertainment value. And sometimes it's just not very entertaining. Some are obviously being outrageous to get on, and sometimes it's just painful to watch someone's dreams get crushed-- even though they had no business even considering being a singer. Sometimes it seems too mean to let these guys through to the judges, because they are ridiculously bad, and then see them humiliated.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: FOX, AMERICAN IDOL

The wait is almost over. The premiere of American Idol will be a 2-Night 4-Hour event. Don't miss it Tuesday & Wednesday, January 16th & 17th, starting at 8/7c, only on FOX.

While you're waiting, why not browse our all-new Music Downloads store and pick up the singles and albums of your favorite Idols. Start Downloading Now!

We went from coast to coast to every audition city! Check out hundreds of photos from each city in our sneak peek galleries!

Meet some of the 100,000+ people who auditioned this summer in our exclusive videos from every city!

Think I'll record the beginnings of Idol (now that I have a DVR player!!) Won't have time to watch it all....but I'll def get into watching live once the number of contestants is pared down a bit.

Tape the beginning!?! Say it isn't so! The best part of the show is watching the delusional contestants who think they're all that get humilated and laughing as their dreams are crushed. That is the TRUE appeal of AI...

I am looking forward to another seaseon of Idol. Although the first few show, I really do not enjoy. It is hard for me to watch people make fools of themselves. :animated_wave:

This will be truly interesting to see how many song writers, enter and actually send in songs. I really think there will ba a huge turnout. It definitely adds a interesting twist to Idol. :cheeseburger:

Re the first few shows---sometimes ppl quite freely admit that they know they're bad, just hoping to get on TV.

But I agree with Gizz re some of the others...there are some ppl who really try hard, think they're good because their relatives say so or whatever, and are SO disappointed to hear that they're not good at all. What's the worst in these cases---where ppl really are trying, and think they're good---is when the judges insult and humiliate them; totally unnecessary

Got Milk? Protracted American Idol Sked Revealed

Here is the itinerary for our upcoming collective lives, as delineated by our friends at Fox:

Tuesday, Jan. 16, 8-10 pm/ET: American Idol season premiere, Part 1

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

American Idol

by Paula Paige

January 16, 2007: Season 6 Premiere

Here we go, again! American Idol, or American I Wanna Be? Filling two hours is going to be pretty hard considering there's only about 45 minutes worth of programming!!! When they showed a clip of Prince from last season, I thought, What a fantastic way to start the show, but they were just teasing me!!!

Should we talk about Paula on the Seattle newscast? No

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name