2006 MTV Video Music Awards

TV_Paige

ap_100.jpg

Chili Peppers, Shakira Lead 2006 MTV VMA Noms

1ab94f6rhcp240x180p.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Shakira are front and center at this year's 2006 MTV Video Music Awards. The rock band and the pop superstar got seven nominations each for the videos "Dani California" and "Hips Don't Lie," respectively, MTV announced on Monday, July 31.

Both will compete for video of the year along with Christina Aguilera for "Ain't No Other Man," Madonna for "Hung Up" and Panic! At The Disco for "I Write Sins Not Tragedies." Madonna, Shakira and Aguilera are also nominated for best female video with Kelly Clarkson for "Because of You" and Nelly Furtado for "Promiscuous."

shakira.jpg

Shakira

Her Madgesty is up for another three awards, including best dance video and best pop video. Aguilera, now in a '40s glamour-puss phase, is also nominated for best pop video and best choreography in a video.

Nick Lachey's "What's Left of Me," which recreates his breakup with Jessica Simpson, will vie for best male video with James Blunt for "You're Beautiful," Kanye West for "Gold Digger," T.I. for "What You Know" and Busta Rhymes for his remix of "Touch It" featuring Mary J. Blige and Missy Elliot.

Lachey.jpg

Nick Lachey

The 2006 MTV Video Music Awards, scheduled to air live on MTV (8 p.m. EDT), will take place on Thursday, August 31 at Radio City Music Hall in New York. The awards, which debuted in New York in 1984, have been held in Miami the last two years.

"I think it's time for the Video Music Awards to come back to New York," Justin Timberlake said Monday at a press conference. "I think, in my opinion, it lost a bit of its luster." The bands for best group video include the Chili Peppers, Fall Out Boy for "Dance, Dance" and Gnarls Barkley for "Crazy."

sq-atl-hat-press-atl.jpg

T.I.

T.I. said MTV has made a big impact on his career. "It represents the upper echelon of entertainment for me and my culture and what we do," he told The Associated Press on Monday. "For a rapper to be in the same rights as Beyonce and Justin on the MTV VMA Awards it's kind of big for us."

Timberlake, who snagged a best male video award winner in 2003 for "Cry Me A River," will perform his new single, "SexyBack" for the first time. Beyonce Knowles, whose "Check on It" is nominated for best R&B video, will perform "Ring the Alarm," the second single from her upcoming album, "B'Day."

180x180.jpg

Panic! At The Disco

Other acts slated to perform are Panic! At The Disco, the Killers and rappers T.I. and Ludacris. The Raconteurs, fronted by the White Stripes' Jack White, will provide the show's "soundtrack," MTV said. More performers and presenters were to be announced later.

Viewers can watch videos and vote on the awards' general categories, such as best male video and best hip hop video, through August 20 by visiting MTV Overdrive at the Web site http://www.vma.mtv.com. Voting for the viewer's choice award runs August 7-31.

ap_100.jpg

Jack Black To Host MTV Music Video Awards

jack_black_L.jpg

Jack Black

The MTV Music Video Awards are about to get a dose of Jack Black. The actor-slash-rocker will host this year's version of the anything-can-happen extravaganza, set for August 31, MTV announced on Thursday, August 10. Performers announced include Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Panic! at the Disco and Ludacris.

"Prepare yourself for a rip snortin' humdinger," Black said. The awards will air live from Radio City Music Hall in New York. Black, 34, is the "perfect mix of comedy, rock, irreverence and star power," MTV President Christina Norman said in a statement.

Black's films include "Nacho Libre," "King Kong" and "School of Rock." He'll next be seen with his Tenacious D bandmate, Kyle Gass, in the semi-autobiographical comedy "Tenacious D in 'The Pick of Destiny,'" slated for release November 17.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
vma_logo_2006.jpg
2006 Yahoo! V.A.N.I.T.Y. Awards Nominations
(winners will appear highlighted in red)

V.A.N.I.T.Y. Awards . . . It's an acronym for Video Awards Never Imagined Through Yahoo! Some videos are unjustly overlooked by the VMAs. But with the V.A.N.I.T.Y. Awards, the underdogs get their moment to shine!

Best My Chemical Romance Impersonation

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name