• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 28-JULY-05

Cassidy Grounded Invasion

Shaun Cassidy, creator of the new ABC SF series Invasion, told SCI FI Wire that the show will be grounded in reality. "I like dealing in sort of a heightened reality," Cassidy said in an interview at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. "It's fun. I like it to be grounded. I like it to have plausible deniability, and that's what I strive for. I don't want people to go, 'Oh, no, that couldn't happen.' There might be a moment or two where they go, 'I don't quite buy that,' but if you can actually support it and explain it, in time people might come around if you give them enough truth."

Cassidy acknowledged that the success of Lost helped him get the show on the air, but the only thing they will have in common is the serialized nature of the storylines. "Studio men are salesmen, and they want to sell what they can sell," he said. "If the cop show is the order of the day, they'll go to who's written the cop shows. I've worked in this kind of stuff before, and I like it. Charles Dickens is my favorite writer, and he did serialized work. He'd send a little installment to the paper or to the magazine once a month and people would hang in because they like the characters. I get invested with characters."

One of the challenges Cassidy has found is balancing those serialized stories with more episodic ones to give the audience a sense of satisfaction at the end of each episode. "It's the biggest challenge, because you never know how much to give and how much to withhold," he said. "And we go through the script. Sometimes we throw everything in the script and we pare away, pare away. And again, you have to give room for the actors and the characters to have the moments. You can't just be doing plot things, following plot points. And the breathing room scenes can sometimes be the most interesting, especially if you have interesting characters and good actors, and we do." Invasion will follow Lost this season on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT. It premieres Sept. 21.

• 1 month later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: I saw that ABC has removed promotions for Invasion as a result of Hurricane Katrina. How do you think it will affect the show? Will it premiere on Sept. 21, if at all? Will people be willing to watch it, or will it fall victim to bad timing? Before this, it was the show I most looked forward to Now that friends of mine have lost everything....

Matt Roush: As of this week, ABC is still planning to premiere Invasion on Sept. 21, after the second-season opener of Lost. (Earlier this week, ABC issued an official premiere-date release about the show, which is a pretty good sign.) As you noted, the promos have been taken off the air for now, out of respect to the enormity and sensitivity of the Katrina aftermath, and that was the right thing to do. It's not as if ABC hadn't already blanketed the airwaves with ads for the show, which is clearly a high priority for the network, given the post-Lost time period. But how the tragedy of Katrina will impact the show in its crucial early weeks is impossible to guess.

It reminds me of the situation in the fall of 2001, when 24 premiered less than two months after the horror of 9/11. The pilot of 24 included a scene in which a commercial airliner was blown up by a terrorist, and while Fox edited the sequence so the explosion was only implied but not seen, it was still a very touchy issue at the time, and the early ratings for 24 were far lower than I expected, perhaps as a result. Invasion is a terrific pilot

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 20-SEPTEMBER-05

No Bodies Snatched In Invasion

Shaun Cassidy, creator and executive producer of ABC's upcoming SF series Invasion, told SCI FI Wire that the show's mysteries are in its people. "I really view our show, at the core, as a family show ... and a blended-family show," Cassidy said in an interview. "The family trying to recover from divorce and remarriage is allegorical to the community trying to recover from the hurricane, and ultimately in the big picture maybe there's a species trying to recover. And if that's human or alien, that remains to be seen."

Invasion deals with the aftermath of a devastating hurricane on a small town in Florida. The series hints at the possibility that aliens are among us, and it appears to have similarities to a certain classic SF film about pod people.

"The element of the invasion, ... the title harkens back to sci-fi movies of the '50s," Cassidy said. "But it really is also representative of the invasion of my household. ... Who is this new step-parent? Who is this baby that's coming into my body? You know, some of the scariest genre films again are the most grounded. Rosemary's Baby had a core fear that almost every parent can relate to. 'Is my baby all right?'"

But, Cassidy added: "This isn't [invasion of the] Body Snatchers. And a lot of people expect that, first because of the title, but also because of the genre. People are so educated because of pop culture. And in these kind of shows, 'Oh, I know an alien planet, and people have been taken, and blah, blah, blah, blah.' Well, maybe. Maybe not. And if it's maybe not, then some people are going to have [to] throw out their expectations and actually go along for the ride." Invasion debuts Sept. 21 and will air Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

I caught the show since it was on right after Lost. Not sure what to think of it yet, my mind was full of Lost, though it looks promising, the show not my mind. Didn't realize Hardy Boy Cassidy was at the helm of the show.

Guest ranster627

I was in a LOST fog too so I taped it and intend to watch it on its own ... I think it will have a hard time in that time slot because two shows of such detail back-to-back may not fly ... just a thought

I watched this show and I wanted to give it a chance, but unfortunately nothing about it really grabbed my attention. It was, to me anyway, an hour long show where absolutely nothing happened. I understand in the first episode they have to do a bit of background and introduce you to the characters and set up the future storyline, but to me that seems like all this show was... and it wasn't enough. I know I haven't made many posts, but for those who have seen mine before I dislike being critical of anyone or anything. I suppose I can see why some folks may enjoy this show, it just didn't grab me.

Out of the 3 big new network shows so far, Threshold (CBS), Surface (NBC) and Invasion (ABC), Threshold is the only one I have really had a true interest in, and that's mostly for the ensemble cast. Surface was okay, I suppose.. though I may have trouble getting into a TV show about a sea monster. Unfortunately, Invasion just didn't get my attention.

Having said all that.. I'll give it another try, as I usually like to watch new shows for at least 3 weeks to give it a chance before making up my mind, but so far this one is bringing up the rear, for me anyway.

Coming on the heels of a super Lost season opener was probably not the best place to be for Invasion. I kept waiting for something, anything, to jolt my interest. I would like to know what happened to the doctor. Probably will tape the next episode and watch it late long after Lost.

I missed the first episodes of Threshold and Supernatural, from all I've read on both shows, they appear to have the most promise. Saw some of Surface, nothing exceptional so far. I'll give all the shows a few more viewings before declaring them lost.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Invasion

It has become apparent that the injuries folks sustained from Hurricane Eve were, in a word, atypical. Not the usual cuts, and scrapes from shattering windows, not the common cold and not even hypothermia (despite the fact that Russell

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Invasion

Do not drink the water in Homestead. Better still, don't swim, bathe or even look at agua in this neck of the woods. Stay out of the water. Take Mariel's tripping out every time she runs a faucet. Or consider Jesse and Kira, who go exploring in an upside-down camper that is half submerged in a swamp. (They should have checked in first with Uncle Dave, who is well versed in what lurks in those dark waters). But alas, Jesse learns the painful, glass-shattering way

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

12:00 AM, 21-OCTOBER-05

Invasion Gets Full Order

ABC has ordered up a full season of its SF series Invasion, giving the green light to another nine episodes, Variety reported. ABC now has given 22-episode orders to two of its three freshman dramas; there's no word yet on Thursday's Night Stalker, the trade paper reported.

Invasion, starring William Fichtner and created by Shaun Cassidy, has been turning in solid if not spectacular numbers in its 10 p.m. Wednesday timeslot opposite CSI: NY and Law & Order.

On the downside, Invasion is losing about half of its huge lead-in from the megahit Lost. Such dropoffs for shows slotted behind monster hits aren't uncommon, however.

Meanwhile, NBC has decided to trim its commitment to its midseason supernatural drama Book of Daniel, ordering eight episodes (including the pilot) vs. the previously announced 13. NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATER COOLER

Invasion

Kari Matchett: She's hot because she's an alien doctor, right? I don't know, the lady confounds me with hot-or-not-itude. Great casting, though, since we can't figure out what she is either. I'm not above thinking that if she had gills, it could help. Of course, it would also help if she weren't married to Sheriff Shady. I could go on about all the girls on this show, but then I'd be falling for their trap

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Invasion

Eureka. Eve. The hurricane herself. I've seen the light(s). They didn't go out when they hit the water. But my intrigue did when I watched this premiere episode for the first time. Don't get me wrong, the reruns are a fantastic idea - I'm just not so sure I should have seen this particular rerun. Everything was just so

Invasion

Man, if that first 10 minutes was any less exciting, I'd have to dedicate this review to something like the evils of daylight saving time. I still denounce it, but in a way that says "it's cool if it's for people who don't wake up at 5 am." Seems like nobody's talking about it this year. Anyway, will anybody be talking about Invasion next year? I'm worried. After only one week off, creator Shaun Cassidy didn't really "reel" me back in, even with that tease showing something tentacle-y in a cooler. OK, that actually got me kind of interested. But then they stalled for a long time. Seems like I've fallen for that before. Giant squid, huh? Great, where's the polar bear? Sorry, but ABC had me at Lost. Invasion does seem to be successfully following in the Goliath footsteps of that gem, but I just don't care about the answers as much during this hour

• 3 weeks later...

Invasion

Hey Tyler Labine, remember when I called you Gilligan? Yeah, well, I'm sorry. Who knew that if you take any decent-looking women out of this show, it actually gets better? Uncle Dave, silly blogger though he may be, is pretty cool, and I'm not just saying that because he's helping the show move along. Not only that, but he was right. Enough about him, except for his hair tonight. I wonder if they intentionally juxtaposed the tension with his wacky bedhead. Better if they didn't. I was also impressed with Eddie Cibrian this week. I mean, obvious similarities aside, Russ is no Dr. Jack. And if you think I'm gonna stop making Lost references, you can talk to ABC about when they air these shows. Really, who can stand this much drama for two hours in a row? Anyway, Russ finally got to show off some science skills, which was nice for us viewers who know even less than Uncle Dave. The sheriff? OK, now there are two, or something. I can't talk about it or I'll have night terrors about that re-created face that turned out to be his. These new people? The ones doing the abducting? I like them. The black guy finally gave me something to work with, in the discussion about invasive species. It was almost too good, the dialogue between him and Russ. But wait, I'm a little scared: He did say, "... if the invasive species becomes a problem, you kill it

• 3 weeks later...

Same return date as LOST?? Guess I'll have to catch the reruns. :P

I liked the concept of this show and was excited when it first aired, but something's missing. I can't put my finger on it, though. It's kind of like a watered down X Files, but that's not entirely it. I don't know. Maybe it's too superficial with the storylines. I mean, the attractive leading lady hooks up/ overtly flirts with attractive soldier during the second episode...or maybe it was the first.

I guess I was expecting something more involved as far as science, religion, government control, etc. It sure is a nice springboard for social commentary. oh well, so much for tv...