SURFACE (New Sci-Fi Series)

mikede

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 06-JUNE-05

fathom_tn.jpg

Fathom Heads South

NBC's upcoming SF series Fathom will be filmed in Wilmington, N.C., the Associated Press reported. The drama, about a new form of life lurking in the sea, will begin shooting in July, the wire service reported.

The pilot for Fathom, which is set to premiere this fall, was shot in California. NBC chose North Carolina in part because of a proposed film incentives program before the state legislature, according to an official press release.

Fathom stars Lake Bell (Boston Legal), Jay R. Ferguson (Judging Amy), Rade Serbedzija (Snatch) and Carter Jenkins (CSI: NY). NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

im gonna watch it for a little, seee where the story goes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627

FROM NBC

8/7PM MONDAYS

Ever wonder what life would be like if a new form of sea life began to appear in locales all over the Earth? Naval officers in the South Antarctic Sea, a family in San Diego, the Oceanographic Institute in Monterey, and fishermen in the Gulf of Mexico are about to find out. The organisms are beautiful, but are these innocent creatures more than what they seem? Embark on this unfathomable journey to discover what might be lurking just below the surface.

Cast:

Lake Bell, Jay Ferguson, Rade Sherbedgia, Carter Jenkins, Leighton Meester.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM SCI FI Wire

12:00 AM, 28-JUNE-05

Fathom Is Now Surface

NBC's upcoming science fiction show Fathom has been renamed Surface, the network told SCI FI Wire. Surface, starring Lake Bell, will air Mondays at 8 p.m. ET/PT starting in the fall.

Surface, an hour-long drama, asks: What would life be like if a new form of sea life began to appear in various locations around the globe? The pilot jumps from naval officers in the South Antarctic Sea to a family in San Diego to scientists from the Oceanographic Institute in Monterey to fishermen in the Gulf of Mexico.

Surface stars Bell (Boston Legal) as Daughtery Carstarphen, Jay R. Ferguson as Richard Owen, Rade Serbedzija as Dr. Aleksander Cirko and Carter Jenkins as Miles. From NBC Universal Television Studio, it was created by Josh and Jonas Pate (Dragnet), who also serve as executive producers. NBC and NBC Universal Television Studio are owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 30-JUNE-05

Surface Seeks N.C. Extras

NBC Universal Television Studio's new NBC fall drama series Surface (formerly Fathom) has issued a casting call to North Carolina residents of all ages and ethnicities to be paid background extras in the upcoming SF series. Open casting calls will take place July 2, 9 and 16 in Jacksonville, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach in North Carolina, where the series will shoot. Those interested in becoming extras are invited to show up and meet with an extras casting director, the studio said.

If an aspiring extra is unable to attend a casting event, applicants can e-mail or mail a photo and contact information, including name, age, phone number and e-mail address, to the extras casting department.

Casting takes place on July 2 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Jacksonville Mall in Jacksonville, on July 9 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Westfield Independence Mall in Wilmington and on July 16 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach. For information, write Extras Casting, Surface Productions, 1223 N. 23rd St., Wilmington, NC 28405, call (910) 772-5667 or e-mail at wilmcasting@yahoo.com.

NBC Universal Television Studio and NBC are owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

• 2 months later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: I'm always up for a new alien show, but I only have so much time in a week, though, and I'll probably only watch one. Which alien show looks the best so far: Threshold on CBS, Invasion on ABC or Surface on NBC? So far, based on the casts and what I know about the plots, I'm thinking that I'll be tuning into Threshold regularly, but the clips from Invasion also look promising (as does its post-Lost time slot). I doubt I'll check out even one episode of Surface. Which do you recommend?

Matt Roush: Surface is easily the least of this lot, but it's still such early days on the other two shows that it's tough to rank one above the other. In the Fall Preview issue, we single out Invasion as the best new drama pilot, but that's because we've actually seen the whole thing. Threshold opens with a two-hour premiere, and we've only seen 30-odd minutes of the first hour

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM Sci Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 09-SEPTEMBER-05

Surface Creatures Aren't Shy

Lake Bell, who stars as marine biologist Laura Daughtery in the upcoming NBC SF series Surface, told SCI FI Wire that the unidentified ocean species at the center of the show will be seen more frequently than viewers might expect. "I sort of thought [creators Josh and Jonas Pate] would be a little more hush-hush and sort of coy and teasing about seeing certain things, seeing the actual creature," Bell said in an interview. "They're kind of excited to have the first sort of digital character in a TV show. They want it to exist as something. Our technology in film and television has advanced so drastically that we can do stuff like that now."

Rather than showing the creatures little by little, as Steven Spielberg did in Jaws, Bell said that the Pates want to put their digital creations front and center. "We're going to be a little daring with it," she said. "It's a gutsy thing to kind of do that every week, but they're ready to take on the challenge, because they feel that the technology is high enough right now, and they have such a clear idea of what they want down to the detail. They want to show the audience a little more than you expect. We're going to see it."

As for the answer to the mysterious origin of the creatures, Bell is as much in the dark as the viewers. "I think [the Pate brothers] try to keep everything kind of mysterious for us as well, because we don't read anything or know anything beyond the episode we're working on," she said. "They love to throw curve balls. I'm reading these scripts, and I'm like, 'Whoa!' ... That's how I'm finding out more and more. That's why it's very exciting on script day, when the new scripts come out. Everyone's like, 'Oh, my God.'" Surface premieres Sept. 19 and will air Mondays at 8 p.m. ET/PT. NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

12:00 AM, 12-SEPTEMBER-05

Surface Is Family-Friendly

Carter Jenkins, who co-stars in the new NBC SF series Surface, told SCI FI Wire that his character will form a bond with one of the show's sea creatures after he finds a mysterious egg in the first episode. "The egg hatches, and it becomes this new pet," Jenkins said in an interview. "Actually, during the second episode I name it. His name's Nim. Short for Nimrod."

The 14-year-old Jenkins said that his scenes with the young creature, which will be digitally animated, have been the most challenging so far, because he's had nothing to play against. "It was really interesting having scenes with the creature, my pet," he said. "I'm just talking to nothing, really. And then they add it in later. It's pretty interesting. And it's kind of hard, but it's fun."

One of the most appealing aspects for Jenkins was the similarity in his storyline to one of his favorite films, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. "What attracted me to this is [my character has] a connection with this thing," he said. "My character's sort of alienated from his family, but he has a connection with this pet. It was an awesome script, and it was just really cool and something I would want to watch in real life. ... It's interesting, because it's suspenseful and thrilling, but at the same time it's a family drama." Surface premieres Sept. 19 and will air Mondays at 8 p.m. ET/PT. NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci Fi Wire

12:00 AM, 15-SEPTEMBER-05

Don't Call Surface Sci Fi

Jay R. Ferguson, who co-stars in NBC's new SF series Surface, told SCI FI Wire that the show has fantastic elements, but that he doesn't think of it as true science fiction. "To me, sci-fi is Star Trek or Star Wars," Ferguson said in an interview. "This is almost like something that could be real. You think of a new species popping up in the ocean, and if you saw that in the headlines of today's paper, you wouldn't be that shocked. It's very, very likely, in fact, that there are several species and several animals that we have yet to see that are in the deep depths of the ocean."

When describing the show, Ferguson feels the term "speculative fiction" is more appropriate than science fiction. "To me, even as a sci-fi fan, speculative fiction sounds so much more interesting," he said. "That gets me more excited, because to me, I think the so-called sci-fi movies that I have enjoyed so much have been the ones that have really made me wonder, 'Wow, that could actually happen.' Those are the ones that I love the most. So for this sci-fi fan, speculative fiction sounds much more exciting."

In Surface, Ferguson plays an expert diver who believes his brother's death was caused by a mysterious sea creature. His storyline makes up one-third of the series, which also stars Lake Bell and Carter Jenkins. "I suppose that while you have Lake's character, that's the brain, and Carter's character, who's kind of the heart, my character is kind of the muscle," Ferguson said. "Everyone in the story is affected in a different way, driven by their own set of circumstances. And my set of circumstances are grown out of, or birthed out of, a hatred and a kind of need for truth and closure from the result of my brother being taken. And that is certainly what drives me to find out what's going on and what, if any, truth there is to be found."

Surface premieres Sept. 19 and will air Mondays at 8 p.m. ET/PT. NBC is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Surface

Maybe it's because I'm originally a prairie girl from the great landlocked state of Oklahoma, but come on, sea monsters? Not that scary. Just don't go in the water. I guess that's easier said than done if you're a SoCal marine biologist (Lake Bell), a Gulf Coast fisherman (Jay R. Ferguson) or an Outer Banks beach-bum-in-training (Carter Jenkins). These three haven't met yet (see also, why pilots suck), but something tells me they're about to team up and take on the government to discover just what's lurking beneath the waves. The premiere finds our heroes in their respective corners of the U.S., each going toe-to-fin with a big, bad underwater beastie. Or, in young Miles' case, the cute little spawn of said beastie. (Seriously, kid, can we not put our fingers in the sea-goo? That can't be sanitary.) Blah blah science talk, blah blah fisherman talk, we've never seen a creature like this before, blah blah. Exposition 2, Action 0.

OK, here's what it is. You know how these days when you go to a theme park and wait in line for one of those "experience" rides, you have to watch those little backstory featurettes where the characters set up why we're all in peril and therefore must board the roller coaster/log flume/flight simulator in order to save the world? That's Surface. And I'm gonna sweat the line, dang it, 'cause I think there's a chance the ride might be cool if we could just get on already.

Guest ranster627

wow ... getting good ... seems to me like there are either healing powers in the blood or the scientist who recovered has become possessed?

And wow again for the open-jaws ending!!!!

I saw the first one(Thanks to Sci-Fi channel reshowing it) and I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it had an interesting start. Just have to see where it goes from here.

thats the only way i can see it too....haha. Ive seen other new NBC shows on USA and Bravo also. And that works out great for me

Yeah I am glad they do it that way. I think it is on on Sunday morning at 8 my time this week. Geeze.....is there really an 8 AM on Sunday? :)

i dont know if it exists ....lol. im not gonna try and find out either ...

Guest ranster627

Surface

Tuesday night, 8:22 pm. That's when they got me. If you were here last week, you know I was skeptical about this whole sea-monster situation

Guest ranster627

Surface

This week on Surface or, as I prefer to call it, "Lake Bell Has Really Tan Legs," we learn several more key elements in the sea monster mystery. Perhaps most important: You may think you're safe if you move your water-sport shenanigans to a freshwater lake, but apparently the ground can still open up and create a bottomless whirlpool of death. OK, oceans bad. Lakes bad. We can still hang out at Yellowstone, right? Wrong. Old Faithful's trying something a little new this year, and it's called spewing molten lava. Sorry, campers.

So Miles is still having big electrocute-y fun with little Nimrod, and Laura's trying to get her career back on track by, uh, waiting tables and holding clandestine meetings with Creepy All-Knowing Scientist Guy. But this episode's high drama pretty much belongs to Rich, who isn't handling his brother's death all that well. He comes off looking pretty normal when you compare him to the other nut jobs trying to uncover the world's Hidden Biology

I caught the 'firefly' references too. What I would say is more like 'watch those finger'...I had one eye closed when he was feeding Nimh...YIKES...but alls well that eats well so he was ok.

And Old Faithful erupting with lava reminds me of a movie I saw recently but can't remember the name of.

I am really enjoying this show. :D

Did you miss an episode or want to see one or more again?

Surface Marathon on SCIFI Tuesday October 11, 2005.

Episode 1 at 7 pm eastern

Episode 2 at 8 pm eastern

Episode 3 at 9 pm eastern

Episode 4 at 10 pm eastern

I wish but no. It is not really Tivo per se but one I get from the cable company. :> Just call it Tivo for ease of reference.

yeah, thats what i have from comcast. buts its Dual Tuner!!!! My best friends

Anyhow, i am really getting inmto this show. Its too too too much like invasion, and invasion is too too much like this show, sometimes i have to think about it and separate the shows in my head.

Well, I've been watching this show every week and, unfortunately, they decided to put some sort of mayoral debate on television here at 8 pm last night. They then ran Surface at 1:36 am, but gave no advance warning, so I wasn't even able to tape it. I have no clue what happened. Did I miss anything important?