Name a real world equivelant of "Big Brother"

I thought this could be a fun excersise. Name a real world paralell that reminds you have the shenenagins we see on Big brother.

I am going to name the New York Islanders franchise. I received this in my inbox today and thought it was a satrical joke. Perhaps something you'd read in The Onion.

Islanders fire GM Smith, hire Snow

TSN.ca Staff

7/18/2006 3:17:26 PM

Neil Smith is no longer general manager of the New York Islanders.

The team announced that they have fired Smith and have hired former Islanders goaltender Garth Snow as the new general manager.

"I spoke with Garth at length throughout the spring about the general manager's position and he really impressed me with his passion and his knowledge," said Islanders owner Charles Wang.

"When the job opened up, the choice was an easy one. Garth knows the league as well as anyone, has an eye for talent and understands how our staff works as a team. Most importantly, Garth is a man of integrity, someone I trust will work hard, be creative and represent the Islanders with dignity."

Snow joins a hockey operations staff that also includes head coach Ted Nolan, senior advisor Pat LaFontaine, player development director Bryan Trottier, chief amateur scout Tony Feltrin and pro scouting director Ken Morrow.

"This is a proud moment for me, a dream come true," said Snow.

"It's an opportunity I wanted more than anything. I look forward to working with Ted, Pat, Bryan and the scouts. Islander fans can be assured that this franchise is going to do everything in its power to bring another Stanley Cup to Long Island."

Smith was hired as GM of the Islanders during the Stanley Cup final, at the same time the team hired Ted Nolan as head coach.

He replaced Mike Milbury, who announced in January he would step down from the position after helping find a replacement. Milbury assumed a position as vice president of Islanders owner Charles Wang's sports properties.

Smith was the New York Rangers' GM from 1989-2000 and assembled the team that ended their 54-year Stanley Cup championship drought in 1994. He worked as a television analyst after being fired by the team after the 1999-2000 season. He first served as a scout with the Isles and owns a Stanley Cup ring from the 1981-82 season before taking a job as scout with the Detroit Red Wings.

Over the last three weeks, Smith worked to make quick improvements to the Islanders lineup by adding free agent forwards Chris Simon, Mike Sillinger, and Andy Hilbert, as well as defencemen Brendan Witt and Tom Poti.

Details to follow.

The backstabbing of players against coaches, the Mike Milbury fiasco, Gluckstern, Laviolette overthrown by the players and the John Spano fiasco. I always thought of Big Brother as the Lord of the Flys of reality shows. The New York Islander franchise is the closest paralell to that I can find. It's absurd and earily echoes the stuff we see on Big Brother. This latest firing of GM Neil Smith to hire a goaltender as his replacement is earily familiar!!!!

Maybe the owner is their Kaysar?

What are yours?

He he Chicken I thought you were referring to Real World and I was going to say Danielle reminded me of Coral, and Alison reminded me of Tonya.

Yeah, some of those sports negotiations are just brutal. But can't think of any particular sports-related incidents that remind me of BB. Though I do have a link to a website that did a spoof of BB with cats - http://www.meowmixhouse.com/index.asp

Meowmix the cat food maker filled a house with 10 homeless cats and then held comps and have weekly evictions. The winner gets a job as taste-tester, and they even have an America's Choice vote for a special prize. The weekly episodes are so cute . . . the video takes about 3 minutes to load up with DSL -

http://www.meowmixhouse.com/Episodes/episode4.wmv

MeowMixHouse_AM0075highres.jpg

MeowMixHouse_AM0433highres.jpg

MeowMixHouse_AM0593highres.jpg

MeowMixHouse_AM0570highres.jpg

Edited: Due to thread clean-up

Now for the question:

The entire NFL with the exceptions of the Pittsburgh Steelers who have kept their coach through thick and thin and the NE Patriots - who play as a team against other teams instead of against each other. Otherwise, all the components are there:

• T.O. as the evil person in the house
  • various and sundry loudmouths like Warren Sapp and Randy Moss
  • the kicking teams as the floaters - no one notices them until they either kick a winning FG like Adam Vinatieri or send an entire season wide right like Nate Kaeding.

Archived