Hit Me Baby One More Time

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Wow. Vernon Kaye has the whitest teeth I've ever seen. Katie Couric pointed it out on yesterday's Today show and she's totally right. That's all you see when you look at him. Reminds me of that time on Friends when Ross left the teeth whitener on for too long and then they glowed blue in the blacklight. Good times.

Anyway, onto tonight's songs (and I'm ignoring the lame second half of the show from here on out. Really there's no point in even commenting on The Motels doing Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" is there? You know I'm just going to bash it.). "My Sharona" always makes me think of Reality Bites (one of the best soundtracks ever) and "Ice Ice Baby" is so bad it's amazing. Those lyrics are tucked away in some corner of my brain and despite the fact I only hear that song once every three years, the words just come flying back.

I had no idea Tommy Tutone was the group that sang 867-5309/Jenny, though I do love that song. I don't think I've ever heard of The Motels or the name of their song. Still the "Who's that?" award of the night has to go to Haddaway. Before tonight I

I caught bits of the episode with Loverboy and bits of the one last night. I have to admit I am a music freak -- I love all different styles and back in the day I practically wore my Knack record into swiss cheese -- so I was really looking forward to this show but so far I just find it sad. Haddaway singing Toxic crawling on all fours on the floor was just sad at his age but at least his voice held up somewhat well. The guy from the knack sang in that high range that is so out of fashion and the guy from tommy tutone sang some Blink 182 teenage bopper song that was just silly coming from a dude that has to be old enough to have grandkids. I dont think I can even think about watching it again. you have this memory of someone really being great and this kind of ruins the positive thinking.

Guest ranster627

I feel bad for Howard Jones. Not only was he cheated out of winning, he also had to perform on the Night of the Crazies. I should have been prepared for the worst night yet of Hit Me Baby as soon as Wang Chung announced they'd be performing Nelly's "Hot in Herre." I love Nelly. My mom's favorite song is "Hot in Herre." When she calls me, my cell rings that song. That's why Wang Chung's version of "Hot in Herre" was basically sacrilege to me. No fortysomething British white man should ever attempt to rap. But shockingly, when compared to Sophie B. Hawkins (who I'm pretty sure was on something), and Cameo (who sported a red jockstrap) and Irene Cara (who did some bizarre form of dancing), Wang Chung wasn't even that bad. I mean, they were bad

That review was dead on -- I was flipping channels and its like a train wreck. Once you know it on, you keep flicking back to it to see how bad it really is. Wang Chung singing Hot in Heree was too damn funny. The lead singer looked like Chester the Molester especially with his just so pronunciation of every word in the song. And Sophie -- I draw the painting and that leads me to the song --- she needs to stop inhaling so many paint fumes. Irene Cara pulled a Scott Savol, garnering applause without once hitting a right note. I cant even comment on Cameo's bright red jock strap. I just dont get it.

Guest ranster627

Go Thelma! The disco diva was slammin' on that Alicia Keyes tune and totally deserved the prize this week, and I'm not just saying that because she was one of the nicest people I have ever interviewed. But she really rocked the house, unlike last week's performance by Irene Cara which was just so-so. Thankfully the savvy online audience made the right choice last week and voted for the deserving Howard Jones who did a beautiful cover of a Dido song. Which was sadly forced out of my mind by Club Nouveau's ho-hum rendition of Dido's "Thank You." I can't say that's entirely their fault; every time I hear that song I keep waiting for Eminem to pop in with "Dear Stan." I was a bit worried for Thelma when I heard Greg Kihn's cover of Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," which started out all mellow and then turned really rockin'. Though I have to admit that while I knew every word to his big hit

Guest ranster627

I'm a huge fan of cheesy '80s pop music and totally unafraid to admit it.

I've created an '80s playlist on my iPod, collected several '80s compilation box sets (on CD and cassette!) and set my TV remote to the '80s digital music channel. I can't remember much of what I learned in high school, but I can freely quote Duran Duran as if they were Byron. So you can imagine I had high expectations for One More Time, especially the season finale. Boy, was I let down. The five finalists all looked good, especially Missing Persons' Dale, who sported a fedora over long blonde hair and a tight, pinstriped suit. (Very Stevie Nicks-meets-Madonna.) Can you believe she's 50? But geez Louise, the woman had no voice whatsoever! It shouldn't have been a big surprise, considering her big hit, "Words," was totally synthesized. Even worse was Animotion's Astrid, who desperately struggled through "Obsession." She should've left all the vocals to band-mate Bill, who sorta reminded me of Lindsey Buckingham. Shannon practically put me to sleep

Guest SmellyCat

I actually went to the taping of the season finale. Only half the audience gets to vote. The people who are seated in the stands get to vote and the ones standing on the floor do not. They tend to hype up certain bands, more than others during the intermissions. We were actually standing right up front, but then they pick certain people and put them up front where they get the most TV. They put a girl in front of us and she commented that she didn't know ONE of the bands, had no idea what any of them sang. It was a fun time though. 20 years ago I would have paid good money to have front row for some of these bands.