Into the West (Mini Series)

DivaSupreme

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing this? I think it looks really good.

It starts this Friday.

Into the West

INTO THE WEST follows two multi-generational families, one settlers and the other Native American, each telling the dramatic stories of the development of the West from their distinct points of view. One family is the Wheeler clan, a Virginia family of wheelwrights making their trek westward. The other family is a plains Native American family hailing from the Lakota tribe. Throughout the series, the two families will experience the historical and cultural events that led to an epic clash of culture, often coming in contact with notable figures and events from the era.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Roush Review

050606roushreview.jpg

Into the West

Mild, Mild West

If size and sprawl were all, Into the West (premiering Friday, June 10, at 8 pm/ET on TNT) might qualify as one of the best TV Westerns ever made. Instead, it feels like every TV Western ever made. (And Lonesome Dove remains the best.)

There's a "been there, rode that" quality to this handsome miniseries, which packages a 12-hour story into six weekly chapters. The narrative alternates between the wheel-making Wheelers, who hail from Virginia

The hype was driving me crazy ... they started advertising like .. in march. It's .. ok. But like the author of that review says .. it does have a been there done there quality to it. Hopefully future episodes will be more interesting .. now that the groundwork has been laid.

Guest ranster627

I hope it airs in Canada ! I loved the old Gunsmoke series, and there was another western mini-series that hooked me years back ...

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Into the West

I know one thing: I'd have never survived the Lakota life back in the old days. The two teenagers leading the buffalo stampede over the cliff before jumping off and swinging from a rope into a cave underneath? No way. I'd have been left hanging from the rope like an idiot, or I would've pulled a Wile E. Coyote and made it into the cave, only to have all those buffalo collapse the stinkin' thing right on top of me.

I'll say this, too: I wouldn't have succeeded all that well among Jedediah Smith and his guys, either. Watching your boss get his scalp ripped off by a grizzly, then having him order you to sew it back on for him? Uh... sorry, sir. I think you'll just have to buy a hat. (Of course, I'd still have chosen that job over Loved by the Buffalo's being strung up by his nipples any day. Owie.) Nope, unless there was a job writing about TV back then, I'm pretty sure I'd have starved, been eaten by a cougar, or ended up staked out over an anthill.

Good stuff, though I'll have to get used to the lack of Deadwood cursing. But in all seriousness, you know what? By the time I've finished watching Jacob and Thunder Heart Woman leave their respective homes, go through their ordeals and finally meet, I'm hooked

The second episode was better than the first.  It was disturbing in a way though.  So much death and misfortune.  Jacob seeing little Jake was heartbreaking.

I was just coming here to post exactly what you said! The first episode didn't hold my attention as well and the second episode did. I will continue watching for sure. I am so glad to see Keri Russell in such a great role. The whole cast is wonderful. I don't know why but the game Oregon Trail pops into my head throughout the whole show lol

The second episode was better than the first.  It was disturbing in a way though.  So much death and misfortune.  Jacob seeing little Jake was heartbreaking.

I was yelling at my screen for Jacob to say something to his family..

the only thing I don't like is that all the adult characters are not aging

Loved By Buffolo's brothers are fine!!

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Into the West

As much as I enjoy watching this, the difficult part is knowing history and, thus, what's bound to happen to most of these characters, especially the Native Americans. So when Dog Star tells Running Fox he'll trust the Great Spirit to guide him and guard him against the Cheyenne, the Crow and the white man, I can only cringe and wait for him to be proven wrong. Not that those who aren't native to the area have it much easier, as we see Hobbes the preacher/doctor lead Jacob's party in prayer before the wagon train they signed on with sets out from Independence. They'll need that and more, since it's still not enough to save Leah, who drowns in the river, or Rachel, who's hit by a runaway wagon and suffers a compound fracture. (Not to be a wiseass here, but didn't anybody think it was a bad idea to hang out directly in the path of a massive load being lowered down the hill using a make-shift block and tackle built from cut-down trees? And I'll say this now: the worms crawling around in her wounded leg is about the most disgusting thing I've seen in some time, though it was nearly outdone by the following scene in which they sawed her leg off and she died.)

"I've always been envious of you brother. You've always had that spark, that sense of adventure," brother Jethro tells Jacob as Jacob sees him through his bout of cholera. Later, Jacob takes an arrow through the chest while doing the most of anyone to defend the group from marauding Cheyenne. So when he must be left behind to heal and takes nearly a year

I was yelling at my screen for Jacob to say something to his family..

the only thing I don't like is that all the adult characters are not aging

Loved By Buffolo's brothers are fine!!

Yes Ep 2 was much better, it was sad to to Leah and that boy pass away, but that did happen on those wagon trains was also hoping that Jacob would br re-united with his family, I am sure that he will before the end :D

What's everyone's take on this third installment?  I wasn't as impressed with it as I was the second.  It didnt seem as cohesive, a little choppy in the story telling I thought.

I enjoyed this installment. I was so glad to see Margaret find her father. And that Jacob found his way home to his wife where he belonged. Though the kiss was cheesy.

I was hoping the asian gold miners would have found Jethro's cousin's body with the boulder of gold.

As for the aging of characters were those the same actors playing Jacob and his wife?

and Young Jacob (the pony express rider) turned out to be a real hottie...the actor looked familiar but I can't place him.

Can't believe we have tow ait 2 weeks for the next one :cry:

The older Jacob and Thunderheart woman are different actors.

Jacob - Matthew Settle

Older Jacob - John Terry

Thunderheart Woman -Tonantzin Carmelo

Older Thunderheart Woman - Shelia Tousey

As for young Jacob, he used to be on General Hospital as Nikolas Cassidine, the child that Laura had while she was keld captive by the Cassidines. Tyler Christopher is the actors name.

That was Naomi Wheeler, played by Keri Russell in episode two that was taken captive and later married her captor. But he was Cheyenne, not Lakota. I think that the last time we saw her was when she told him she was happy there after their child was born. There was no mention of her at all in this last episode, many of us have been wondering about her. I hope we find out what became of them.

yeah that was my other question but forgot...hmmm Well I am sure if she comes back she won't be Keri Russell

And thanks for the info...And I was wrong The pony express guy was not Jacob it was Abe any idea who he is :wink:

YEah I recognized Jacob..he is back on GH as Nicholas