'HGTV Design Star'

TV_Paige

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

'HGTV Design Star'

design_star_cast.jpg

'HGTV Design Star' Contestants

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee -- Suspense, excitement and incredible challenges will be on tap when 10 aspiring designers seek to impress home viewers and an expert judging panel with their design expertise, ingenuity, creativity and "it" factor during the reality competition, "HGTV Design Star."

Hosted by Clive Pearse, who also hosts the network's top-rated real estate series, "Designed To Sell, the eight-week event will premiere on Sunday, July 23 at 9 p.m. ET/PT and will air weekly through September 10.

As the "HGTV Design Star" finalists navigate a gauntlet of clever design challenges for the chance to win the ultimate prize

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

HGTV "Design Star" Winner

Wins Mercury Mariner and HGTV Contract

Designer

David Bromstad

contestant_David.jpg

Hometown: Miami Beach, Florida

Education: Ringling School of Art and Design

Design Philosophy

"Create an environment, not just a room."

"By using murals and custom-built furniture, I create a 3D world that will transport you to another reality (fantasy)."

Personality Profile

I should be the next "HGTV Design Star" because:

I like to have fun and for other people to have a good time around me. My personality is relatable, accessible and infectious. I work well under stress and time constraints, and do whatever it takes to get the job done in the most effective and fun manner.

Three phrases that best describe my personality:

Uplifting and energetic, easygoing yet vocal, open-minded and lovable.

My unique design skill:

I am a formally trained artist. Due to my education and experience, I can paint in any style, from minimalist to complex and detailed. I custom-build furniture as well as create wood sculptures, canvas paintings and other forms of fine art. I am particularly fond of blending wooden sculptures with colored glass and creative lighting.

What do friends and family say about you that we'd never guess?

I am a huge nerd. I love to have fun and sometimes making a fool of myself is a requirement.

My current job:

I currently work for myself. I design and build children's furniture and props for model homes. I also create custom art for hotels, clubs and restaurants.

If I had to pick one person's home to design, it would be:

The artist Bjork because her personal style is unique and creative. I'd be able to do things in her house that no one else would allow. Her home would reflect her quirky and over-the-top creativity. She is an icon of individuality and utterly inspirational.

Two things you might not guess about me:

I can perform a water rescue (I was a lifeguard for several years). I also love to work in the yard and get my hands dirty. Sometimes plants are better conversationalists than people!

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Vanessa's Show Cancelled Week Three (Double Elimination)

Designer

Vanessa De Leon

contestant_Vanessa.jpg

Hometown: Fairfield, New Jersey

Education: Attended FIT, currently a student at Berkeley College (New Jersey)

Design Philosophy

"Create a 'story' when you're designing or decorating a room."

"I get a creative rush, even if it's just picking out a bathroom tile . . . I actually end up dreaming about the tile."

Personality Profile

I've had passion for design since I was a little girl; working in my father's furniture store was a great advantage. I experienced the reality of interior design at such a young age and created my own firm at 20. I used to only create window treatments for clients and now I design million-dollar homes. I want to be inspirational to others and share my talent with the world.

Some unusual skills:

I'm an amazing cook, have great hairdressing skills, and love to be adventurous, like going white-water rafting. I also design old clothes into modern trendsetters.

Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs. His taste is contemporary and I'm geared toward contemporary, eclectic and glamorous. He seems to know exactly what he wants and he'd greatly appreciate the creativity, time and effort a designer like me would put into his home.

My pets:

Two Cairn Terrier dogs (like Toto from the 'Wizard of Oz'), Fendi and Gucci. They resemble my husband and me because our personalities are so alike. They're both playful, fun-loving and outgoing creatures

• 2 weeks later...

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Tym's Show Cancelled Week Six -- Third Place

Designer

Tym De Santo

contestant_Tym.jpg

Hometown: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Education: Bachelor's Degrees in Art and Business, Lockhaven University

Design Philosophy

"Be inventive, make the most of what you've got, and less is more."

"Look for ways to use the usual in unusual ways."

Personality Profile

I'm talented and passionate about great design! My fresh concepts and unique approach inspire and excite the client about their surroundings The winner must be inventive, make the most of what they've got, and always remember less is more, qualities I embody. I've spent a lot of time in front of the camera for ski-tip shows, music videos and countless live music performances. I'm an individual who can bring that inspiration and passion to HGTV.

A nightmare project would be:

Where the client wants "their dream" executed with no input from me. That's a job for a contractor, not a designer. No one who's passionate about creativity wants to be forced to put their name on lousy design. I know I don't.

Visionary/idea guy, high energy, people-person.

Some unusual skills you might not guess about me:

I'm a former professional skier/TV host for videos and spots; singer/songwriter with bands Twentyfourseven and Visual Purple; sponsored skateboarder as a youth who still actively skates with my boys; former sponsored sailboarder; raced kayaks and worked as a river guide; former competitive tennis player; and an award-winning photographer and sculptor having exhibited in many of the top 50 juried art festivals in the country.

What scares me:

Having to take the trash out on a really dark night way out to the end of the driveway alone! Seriously. Regret is my biggest fear.

His friends say:

He'll be far more creative, unique and stand out beyond the other designers

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Teman's Show Cancelled Week Three (Double Elimination)

Designer

Teman Evans

contestant_Teman.jpg

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

Education: Master's Degree in Architecture, Harvard University

Design Philosophy

"When it comes to design, there are no mistakes . . . just opportunities."

"'Anything is possible' is not the same as 'anything goes.'"

Personality Profile

I have an awesome design background. Besides all the Ivy League stuff, I've worked in many different areas of design all over the world, which has given me invaluable experience and versatility.

Paris Hilton! The budget would be killer and I KNOW there would be stories to tell afterwards. She seems like she would be a really fun client too.

My current job and what I love/hate about it:

My twin brother, Teran, and I own our own design company, Dioscuri LLC, which designs jewelry, textiles, fabrics and interiors. I LOVE that I'm always doing something different. I HATE that because it's my own company, there's no one to blame but ourselves when things go wrong!

Three words that best describe my personality:

Audacious, boisterous, warm.

A secret you'd never guess:

My brother and I were registered as one student for our entire freshman year of high school.

Teran [Evans] on Teman:

Teman is very good at diffusing a crisis

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Teran's Show Cancelled Week Four (Double Elimination)

Designer

Teran Evans

contestant_Teran.jpg

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

Design Philosophy

"A space is NEVER done. It will ALWAYS be a work in progress."

"Mix it up! Don't be afraid to combine styles."

Personality Profile

You've been waiting for me! I'm memorable

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

HGTV "Design Star" Runner-Up

Wins Mercury Mariner

Alice's Show Cancelled Week Seven -- Second Place

Designer

Alice Fakier

contestant_Alice.jpg

Hometown: Temple, Texas

Education: Interior Design Degree, Louisiana Tech School of Architecture

Profession: Interior Designer

Design Philosophy

"Resist the urge to overly coordinate."

"Bookshelves

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Ramona's Show Cancelled Week One

Designer

Ramona Jan

contestant_Ramona.jpg

Hometown: Damascus, Pennsylvania

Education: Private painting lessons at the School of Visual Arts and The New York Academy of Art; courses at the Art Students League and FIT; still attending the "School of Real-World Experience"

Design Philosophy

"If I can't find it on the roadside, I'll make it from recycled objects."

"Don't be afraid to incorporate clashing patterns!"

Personality Profile

A. I'm a bona fide trash-to-treasure designer with an eye for garbage that can be salvaged and redeemed.

B. I recycle as I create.

C. I can dance.

D. All of the above.

Answer: D

A secret my friends would tell you:

Just out of high school, I made money as a private detective by day while fronting a punk rock band at night.

When I knew I wanted to become a designer:

Fourth grade. At recess, I preferred making dolls using discarded cellophane, sticks and stones to playing with the other kids. This obsession only grew as I did. Dolls became furniture; the furniture needed a room; the room needed a house, and the house needed more furniture.

The best job I've ever had:

As art controller for Citibank's 20-million-dollar collection, I was paid very well to sign orders for the art installers to hang pictures. I also got to go swimming on my lunch break.

My unique design skill:

With the help of a metal worker, I create useful items from scrap metal. I turn found objects like tubas, surfboards and empty propane tanks into practical furniture pieces.

Martha Stewart

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Joseph's Show Cancelled Week Two

Designer

Joseph Kennard

contestant_Joseph.jpg

Hometown: Boston, Massachusetts

Profession: Architect

Design Philosophy

"Allow materials to express their natural character."

"Everything needs a place; decide where to store or display your stuff."

Personality Profile

I am the ideal 'Design Star' because of my education, professional experience and passion for design. I am artistic, handle tools well, communicate efficiently and am in excellent physical and mental health. I also work and play well with others.

David Lee Roth. What do you mean "Why?"

An out-of-the-ordinary skill you might not guess about me:

I grew up racing dirt bikes in western New York. It taught me about competitiveness, physical challenges and motorized technology (how things actually work)

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Temple's Show Cancelled Week Five

Designer

Temple McDowell

contestant_Temple.jpg

Hometown: Farmington, Utah

Education: Architectural Drafting and Carpentry in High School

Design Philosophy

"A place for everything and everything in its place."

"My neighbors drop by [the house] for tours and ideas!"

Personality Profile

Where others have years of training, I have a natural eye for design, confidence in my abilities and can turn a thrift-store purchase into an eye-catching design. I have the look, the body, the class, the style, the personality, the heart, the stage presence and the desire to make it a great show. I'm a single, stay-at-home mother who lives within a budget. HGTV viewers will easily identify with me.

Three words that best describe my personality:

Spontaneous, tender-hearted, entertaining.

If my life were a sitcom, it would be:

"Home Improvement" because I'm always working on a project, I have a house full of boys, and there is always lots of laughter.

Helpful design skills I possess:

Class and a natural eye for design. I love coming up with new ways to incorporate color. I'm highly organized. I'm used to working with a budget, so I know how to shop and what to look for to get the right look for the right price. I studied architectural drafting and carpentry and have a wild imagination. I am detail-oriented and a team player, helping clients understand and achieve the look they want.

My current job and what I love/hate about it:

I work from home as a personal fitness trainer. I deal with female clients who have struggled with weight and confidence; I love teaching them how to live a healthier lifestyle and gain confidence back. I hate the fact that society judges someone based on looks rather than heart.

Some out-of-the-ordinary skills you might not guess about me:

I was crowned Miss Utah USA 1997 and placed first in the interview, swimsuit and evening gown competitions. I placed fourth in the Miss USA 1997 competition. I've performed in musicals, fundraisers and holiday shows. Along with singing, I play the piano, violin, cello, guitar and love to dance. I have worked as a professional model and used to be a makeup artist with Est

hdr_dsLogo236x100.jpg

Donna's Show Cancelled Week Four (Double Elimination)

Designer

Donna Moss

contestant_Donna.jpg

Hometown: Arlington, Texas

Education: No Formal Education

Profession: Flight Attendant/Owns an Interior Design Business

Design Philosophy

"Beauty is in the details . . . accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!"

"Every interior should be a self-portrait, so get your inspiration from something you love."

Personality Profile

I am not afraid to rise to any challenge and shine. I have the personality, the looks and the motivation to give you the total package and a successful show. I am hard-working, self-motivated and will not quit until the room is fabulous, and we will have fun at the same time.

My professional design experience/what I think of amateurs:

I have owned my own interior design business for over 20 years and think it would be great fun and a real challenge to compete with individuals that are self-taught like me. You should never underestimate untapped talent and ambition. Just because someone is not a "professional" does not mean that they cannot put together a great idea and a great room.

The best job I ever had:

Being a wife and mother. Seeing your children grow up to be wonderful adults is very fulfilling. I am very proud of them and I believe they are also very proud of me and what I have accomplished in my life.

An out-of-the-ordinary skill you might not guess about me:

During boot camp in the Army I was trained in the art of firing an M-16 rifle.

My pets:

I have three dogs. Rocky's a Husky mix who's scared of his own shadow and on an anti-depressant. Clover, a Yorkie, is cute and our wild child. He jumps like a kangaroo and pees in our bathrooms (we frown on this, but he doesn't get it). Rosco, a pound rescue, is a Chihuahua/MinPin mix who loves to be carried on your shoulder. They all love to sneak into our neighbors' homes and steal things.

A secret my friends would tell you:

In 1976 I was an on-air personality for radio station KECC-FM. I hosted "The Disco Donna Hour."

My dream vacation:

Being with the airlines for 24 years, I have had the opportunity to travel extensively. However, the one thing I've always dreamed of doing is to tour and stay in some of the grand castles in Europe. The history, architecture and legends are so fascinating.

Self-motivated, fun to be with and I make things happen.

I liked it i love reality tv and i love design shows perfect marraige!!!

Man so glad to see Romona go that vaccum was HIDEOUS!

She was on Wife Swap and turned somebody's TV into a fisht ank for someone who doesnt like TV much she sure is on it a lot!

Joseph is a cutie such a sweet smile

Neb! You mean that nutjob was on "Wife Swap"!?! Oh, my! I couldn't believe she out right lied to the judges and said that everyone was behind her mural of Miss Utah! I was hoping someone would call her out for that blatant lie instead of just making faces! Why did the others let her do that tacky mural when they voted on the wands or whatever the other mural was intended to be!?!

I did think the Living Room was poorly planned and over spent per budget. It made that space look even smaller than it was in the first place! I really thought the judges/producers were going to keep Ramona for the oddball factor and oust the lack of budget queen! She would have deserved it the way she showed no financial planning or fairness in room to room budgeting.

I thought the bedrooms were, by far, the best of the entire house! I would rate the patio as my second favorite room (once the tacky Ramona 'sculptures' are removed). I adored the focal wall of color and the way it elongated the appearance of the area.

But, OMG, have you ever seen a home with the smallest rooms possible!?! I would feel claustrophobic in that abode! I'm a little disappointed that the judges don't have a more active role in the design mentoring process but it's only the first show so there is still hope! I miss my Vern Yip!!!!!

I find it odd that most of the 'designers' are not only average in talent (so far) but none seem to be emerging as a 'camera presence' personality. So far, I'd say the twins, Teran and Teman, would stand out to me as being a pair that would be fun to watch on a design show of their own.

Neb, we've GOT to stop watching the same shows!!!! LOL!!!! I hope we can get others to join in if the show turns out to be half as fun as "Next Food Network Star." After all, "Big Brother" isn't the ONLY thing on TV this summer! I know . . . I know . . . that's blasphemy!

Neb . . . once again, I couldn't agree with you more!!! Those drapes were dreadful and closed in the space without adding that 'special' splash of color I think they might have been trying to achieve. I like fabric but I'm not a fan of the overuse of it in a room (i.e. Hildy on 'Trading Spaces'). And, don't even get me started on my opinion of toile! Thank goodness no one used it last night!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the designers second challenge is next week. I'm praying that more of their personalities emerge because right now, I wouldn't tune in to any program these individuals had on the air. I may not like some designers (Hildy, Doug, etc.) but at least, they entertain with their larger than life on-air quirky personna.

How did I miss this one ???

Just happened to catch the last 1/2 of a repeat late last nite (it's repeated again Sat.).

lol.... every once in awhile I thought I was watching Project Runway.... the format is almost identical :huh:

But, I'll be tuning in again for sure.

here's their site in case anyone's interested

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text...6_37553,00.html

Neb... maybe the room lacked what the Judges look for in design change....

But - Joseph at least deserved a Combat Medal for dealing with Temple and Donna <_<

(I wanted to crack their 2 heads together after about the 3rd clip of them arguing :angry: )

Sorry, Neb . . . I know how much that takes away from watching your favorite reality show. I know it does mine. Thank Goodness, I'm not attached to any one designer so it doesn't have the same impact on me with this show in particular. Although, I thought Alice's speech before her release to the green room was a true class act and right on point.

I also applaud her not letting Vanessa skate past her "throw someone under the bus" comment in a lame attempt to save herself from being cancelled. And speaking of, I'm a little confused on that point. Being the winner of last week's challenge, didn't she have immunity from elimination this week? So, why was she one of the bottom two and on the verge of being cancelled? Did I get that wrong?

Once again, in my opinion, the bedroom was the clear and only winner in this week's challenge. As the one judge said when the room was revealed . . . "Wow!" Took the words right out of my mouth.

Although the designers all have the same amount of time, I think it's a little unfair (just like in 'Project Runway') to expect top notch quality with such limited and strict time constraints. I'd much prefer the show allowing the designers to occasionally have a longer length of design time and see what this does to improve the look of their challenge rooms. Just a thought.

Anyhoo, back to the cutting room . . . I also think the wrong team lost the challenge and the wrong two people were in the bottom two. If you're bickering hinders not only your own team's morale but the morale of the other teams as well . . . then it's time for one of the two thorns in the bouquet to be weeded from the garden. Although a close call, my vote would have gone to cancel Temple.

I'm again disappointed in the quantity of time and the quality of comments the judges have to offer for their decisions. I'm still hoping to see a little more face time for Vern Yip and ensemble to add to my enjoyment of the show.

oh i wasnt too attatched just thought he was cute

And Alice's speach was great! I can't stand vanessa no way she will win since the fans vote. The producers must hate her too :lol: And i think they only have 2 days because a lot of design shows are done in only a few days on a limited budget.

I am glad they do individual rooms next week

True, Neb but those shows usually have a full-time carpenter at their disposal and an off-camera crew that does a lot of the work to create the illusion. Then again, besides the full-time carpenter, this show might also have the off-camera crew so I think I just defeated my own argument. I hate when that happens! I'm looking forward to the individual challenge next week too!

Episode 3

Vanessa and Teman get their shows cancelled.

Challenge... create / decorate a room with items purchased ONLY from a specialty store (Pet store - Automotive - Beauty - Camping)

For some re-cap stuff .... http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text...6_37553,00.html

It's worth watching a re-run if you didn't catch it.

• 1 month later...

david_congrats_winner.jpg

David Bromstad Wins 'HGTV'S Design Star'

david_winner_top.jpg

david_winner.jpg

David Bromstad

After the paint dried and the dust from the renovations settled, David Bromstad emerged as the winner of the popular reality competition, "HGTV Design Star." During the season finale of the eight-episode series, Bromstad, 32, a Miami-based artist and designer, learned that he had captured the most viewer votes and the coveted prize -- his own show on HGTV.

In just two and a half days, between Sunday, September 3 at 10 p.m. ET and Wednesday, September 6 at noon ET, viewers cast more than 630,000 votes via www.HGTV.com and mobile phone text messages to support their favorite of the show's final two designers.

Bromstad's new show is expected to premiere in 2007. In the meantime, HGTV's cameras will document his life-changing experiences as he makes his way from designer finalist to show host in a special four-episode series, "Making of a Design Star," that is scheduled to air beginning Thursday, November 2 at 11 p.m. ET/PT.

DESIGNSTAR091106.jpg

David Bromstad's winning moment

Four episodes of "Making of an 'HGTV Design Star'" will debut November 2 at 11 p.m. ET, airing Thursdays at 11, concluding on Thanksgiving. It goes "behind the scenes with the winner of 'HGTV Design Star' from the very first moment the winner is announced" and shows "what it takes to create the pilot of the designer's new series." That will follow the winner, David when the pre-taped finale was filmed.

As he and his remaining competitor, 31-year-old Alice Fakier of Temple, Texas, stood side-by-side in front of a live studio audience that included family and friends, HGTV president Judy Girard joined them on stage with the promised network contract. In the next moment, Clive Pearse, the show's host, opened the envelope to reveal who had won the chance at television stardom.

"This is the best day of my life, hands down," said Bromstad. "I'm exhilarated, I feel like I'm in a dream! This is just unreal! It is exactly what I hoped for and wanted, but at the same time I knew I would have a hard time winning if it meant that Alice would be eliminated. She was a formidable competitor and I have tremendous respect for her work. It's never easy to win at the expense of a friend."

alice.jpg

Alice Fakier

Fakier, a gracious challenger throughout the competition, ceded the stage to Bromstad's family and friends who eagerly rushed to offer him hugs and congratulations. She and Bromstad would later cling to each other, crying one last time as the competition came to its bittersweet conclusion.

"I'm happy for David because he is such a good designer," said Fakier. "I said from the beginning that it would be fine if I lost this competition to someone who was exceptional. David is that person -- I'm honored to have worked with such a great talent."

In a surprise twist, Bromstad and Fakier, each conditioned to uncovering paint cans to find the next weekly design challenge, were presented with two final paint cans. However, when they opened them they found keys for two new SUVs -- a Mercury Mariner and a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Both designers will be able to choose the preferred color and model of their new vehicle.

david_bromstad.jpg

David Bromstad

The highly-anticipated season finale unfolded with a reunion of the show's eight other finalists as well as with judges Martha McCully, the executive editor of In Style magazine, and renowned designer Vern Yip. As the finalists and judges reminisced and offered personal perspectives, they watched never-before-seen video highlights and bloopers from the competition.

"HGTV Design Star" premiered on Sunday, July 23 with an eclectic group of 10 finalists who represented various lifestyles and life stages, personalities and preferences, education and experience. The group included a former beauty pageant finalist and mother of two from Utah, as well as three Harvard graduates.

Each week, the competition in the top-rated show became more intense as the finalists were pushed to their limits in tough design challenges. For example, in one challenge, the finalists designed spaces using only items found in either pet, beauty, camping or automotive stores. While in another challenge, they designed using a single color -- yellow, blue, red or green -- as inspiration.

bromstad.jpg

David Bromstad

"We knew this was going to be an amazing competition that would resonate with our viewers," said James Bolosh, vice president, original programming, HGTV. "Our viewers have been very vocal about this show -- calling, writing and stopping us to tell us that they find it addictive. We love hearing that because, after all, we did promise them a great ride."

Bromstad and Fakier each won a weekly design challenge before getting to the final stage of the competition. From the premiere on July 23 through the season finale, the show generated stellar ratings and, according to Omniture, nearly 7.5 million page views on www.HGTV.com.

"HGTV's Design Star" has also been renewed for a second season, which will air next year. Second season casting has not yet begun. The show's web site simply states, "we'll be accepting audition tapes for the next season soon," specifically in the fall.