Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

USA Reunites 'Monk' With Long-Lost Dad

Den Hedaya guest stars on special holiday episode

October 10, 2006

25829608.jpg

Dan HedayaWill the defective detective survive meeting his long-lost father?

USA Network announced Tuesday (Oct. 10) that Emmy-nominated Dan Hedaya will guest star as the hitherto unseen father to "Monk's" titular sleuth.

The special holiday episode begins when Adrian Monk's (Tony Shalhoub) quiet Christmas plans go awry when his father Jack Monk -- who's been absent for 40 years -- drops back into his life. The son must leave Natalie's (Traylor Howard) holiday party and take to the road with his truck driver dad, who has a very tight schedule.

As if estranged family dynamics weren't hard enough, it turns out the elder Monk has somehow gotten mixed up in a dangerous mystery and must trust his son to help him solve the case.

The special episode will premiere on USA on Friday, Nov. 17.

"Monk" is one of the highest-rated original scripted series in basic cable history and has earned Shalhoub three Emmys for portraying the brilliant detective who suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder, a problem that he must circumvent in his daily life and to solve crimes. Howard, Ted Levine and Jason Gray-Stanford also star.

Hedaya is a prolific film and TV actor best known for playing Nick Tortelli on "Cheers" and its spinoff "The Tortellis." He's also appeared on "Hill Street Blues," "Yes, Dear" and "ER." He received an Emmy nomination for his guest appearance on "NYPD Blue."

His big-screen credits include "Blood Simple," "The Usual Suspects," "To Die For," "Alien: Resurrection," "Dick," "Mulholland Dr." and "Robots."

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Monk

by Raven Snook

November 17, 2006: Make Room for Daddy

I've watched this episode twice now: once in preparation for my interview with Dan Hedaya, then again to write my watercooler... er, "TV commentary" blog. The first time around, I was bothered by how quickly Adrian agreed to go on a road trip with his dad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:animated_bouncy: Full day of MONK on New Year's Day:

CAST FAVORITE SCHEDULE

6AM/5C: Mr. Monk and the Employee of the Month

7/6C: Mr. Monk and the Big Reward

8/7C: Mr. Monk Gets a New Shrink

9/8C: Mr. Monk and the Sleeping Suspect

10/9C: Mr. Monk Goes to the Dentist

11/10C: Mr. Monk and the Airplane

12PM/11C: Mr. Monk Goes to the Theater

1/12C: Mr. Monk and the Captain's Wife

2/1C: Mr. Monk Can't See a Thing

3/2C: The Pilot

5/4C: Mr. Monk and the Cobra

6/5C: Mr. Monk and the Three Pies

7/6C: Mr. Monk Takes His Medicine

8/7C: Mr. Monk and the Garbage Strike

• 2 weeks later...

VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON ON JAN 14

09:00 AM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK BUMPS HIS HEAD

10:00 AM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GETS MARRIED

11:00 AM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE EARTHQUAKE

12:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO JAIL

01:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE GAME SHOW

02:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GETS DRUNK

03:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO A ROCK CONCERT

04:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO VEGAS

05:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK TAKES A VACATION

06:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE CLASS REUNION

07:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GETS JURY DUTY

08:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK AND LITTLE MONK

09:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GETS CABIN FEVER

10:00 PM MONK (VIEWER'S CHOICE MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO MEXICO

I missed it :cry:

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Monk

by Raven Snook

January 19, 2007: Monk and Hal, BFF... or Not

I have a confession: I love Andy Richter. I'm still angry that Andy Richter Controls the Universe got canceled, and I'm annoyed that NBC hasn't set a premiere date for his newest series Andy Barker P.I. (As for Quintuplets, hey, everybody makes mistakes.) Given my strong feelings for the man, I knew I was going to enjoy this episode. However, what surprised me was its heavy subtext. Even though Hal was a very bad guy, he had a point when he accused Natalie, Stottlemeyer and Disher of taking Monk for granted. "To you he's some sort of crime solver that you wind up, or your quirky boss you can tell stories about." Harsh, but true.

I won't start griping about how lame the mystery was. If Hal really felt compelled to intercept that photo, he could have just broken into Monk's mailbox. He didn't need to pal around with him for a week. Of course, their false friendship was what made this episode. No one plays creepy charmers (or charming creeps) quite like Richter. The way he basically picked Monk up at the supermarket, complimenting him on his bizarre quirks, like bringing bubble wrap to protect his fruit, or opting to buy 10 eggs instead of a dozen. "I like your style, you play by your own rules," Hal told him. "That's one way of looking at it," Monk replied sadly. Poor guy. He so wants to be normal!

I started to wonder though... can Monk actually have a friend? He has so many issues it's next to impossible to include him in social activities. People can't invite him to a party or a restaurant, probably not even to a movie. Granted, Hal got him to a hockey game, but even that was stressful. One smudge, and he was totally lost. It broke my heart to see Monk acting like a little schoolgirl with a crush, trying to please Hal at every turn, when I knew that his feelings weren't genuinely returned.

Monk's attempts to act like a regular guy when Hal first came over were priceless

• 2 weeks later...

MONK MARATHON ON SUPERBOWL SUNDAY :

10:00 AM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE PSYCHIC

11:00 AM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO A WEDDING

12:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK MEETS DALE THE WHALE

01:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK STAYS IN BED

02:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK & THE BLACKOUT

03:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GETS STUCK IN TRAFFIC

04:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES BACK TO SCHOOL

05:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE RED-HEADED STRANGER

06:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO THE OFFICE

07:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE BIG GAME

08:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO THE CIRCUS

09:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES TO THE ASYLUM

10:00 PM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE ACTOR

12:00 AM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK GOES HOME AGAIN

01:00 AM MONK (SUPERBOWL MARATHON) MR. MONK AND THE ASTRONAUT

• 2 weeks later...

hate new season. the producer why must they keep showing us who did it in the beginning. i hate when they do that

• 2 weeks later...

no last night was terrible just like whole new season. this season has no creativity hence why they keep showing killer early. probably the worst season of monk. monk isnt even OCD anymore.

not true they show the murder but not the killer face. this season they show the killer face in almost all the intros. usually the killer face is discover in last 15 minutes.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Monk

by Raven Snook

February 23, 2007: The Techie Versus the Troglodyte

Perhaps I'm letting all your comments influence me, or maybe watching a couple of Season 1 Monk episodes did the trick, but I am finally tiring of watching the title character look like a fool for the sake of a cheap laugh. Yes, we know the man has incredible problems. And no, he's not the hippest guy in the world. But are we supposed to be believe he's never, ever been online? I mean ever? When Julie showed him the mouse, Monk balked, "I know what that is. I haven't been living in a cave," yet he was absolutely amazed by her mouse pad. "Wow, it's so rubbery, it's outstanding." Yeah, that makes sense. While I still say Tony Shalhoub sells every single gag, no matter how illogical or implausible, I hope that next season the writers remember that Monk is not Rain Man. He's an ex-cop, he's been around, and in his way he's a sophisticated guy. Stop turning him into a whiny, out of it, overgrown baby.

I also thought the mystery came up short. Obviously both murders were related, and we had to wait the entire episode for Monk to put that together. At least the introduction of hard-ass FBI agent Thorpe (well played by Chris Williams, Vanessa's brother) and his band of gadget-dependent helpers allowed for some funny bits. After finding out that Monk had never seen a wireless earpiece, Thorpe asked, "Where have you been, in a coma?" to which Monk deadpanned, "No, I wish." I also loved that crazy, high-tech, tricked-out bus-cum-crime lab that the feds traveled around in. As cutting-edge as it was, Monk still found a way to mess it up. I died when Monk used the plasma-screen TV monitor as a blackboard, then tried to clean up his scribbles by spraying what turned out to be hydrochloric acid on it. I hope they didn't send him a bill.

While the scene with Julie teaching him to go online ("Welcome to 1998, Mr. Monk") felt a tad forced, it did result in some fun mayhem. That slumber party raid was hilarious, if improbable. (Did they really think it would be that easy to trace the killer's call?) And why Julie ever agreed to lend Monk her laptop is beyond me. Also, all the computer stuff felt like an extended Dell ad.

Other highlights:

worst season of monk ever

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

new season of monk cant wait. i hope its better than last season

start tonight cant wait